Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Still waiting for the chapter to come out, but apparently Shigaraki genuinely gets mad about Mirio's "friendless loser" comment to the point that Mirio feels bad and apologizes. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Still waiting for the chapter to come out, but apparently Shigaraki genuinely gets mad about Mirio's "friendless loser" comment to the point that Mirio feels bad and apologizes. :allears:

Apologizes to Spinner for forgetting about him I hope :mad:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Eggplant Squire posted:

Apologizes to Spinner for forgetting about him I hope :mad:

lol no per spoilers it's specifically about pre-league tenko shimura's friends and dog. spinner less important than shigaraki's dead dog, RIP.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Valentin posted:

lol no per spoilers it's specifically about pre-league tenko shimura's friends and dog. spinner less important than shigaraki's dead dog, RIP.

This poo poo sucks lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Give Horikoshi a writer and let him draw pretty pictures

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

TheKingofSprings posted:

Maybe this is a bit perpendicular to the point of this thread but this comment raised the question again in my head - any real reason this isn't a more common arrangement in manga? I know in US comics, its almost always writer+artist, and a few manga have done it successfully like Death Note

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Valentin posted:

Spinner less important than shigaraki's dead dog, RIP.

I'm one of Spinner's biggest advocates but....

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

IMHO the current state of MHA has very little to do with Horikoshi's ability as a writer and everything to do with Horikoshi very obviously wanting to end MHA as fast as possible and speed-running through every planned plot point with as little foreshadowing, build-up and development as he can get away with while still having a coherent story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lt. Lizard posted:

IMHO the current state of MHA has very little to do with Horikoshi's ability as a writer and everything to do with Horikoshi very obviously wanting to end MHA as fast as possible and speed-running through every planned plot point with as little foreshadowing, build-up and development as he can get away with while still having a coherent story.

I think if that were true, the fights would at least be readable, which they often are not. This series has had some long-running problems that Horikoshi speedrunning the ending is certainly exacerbating, but those problems didn't appear out of thin air.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dying to end his manga cause he can't stop drawing hands.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arist posted:

I think if that were true, the fights would at least be readable, which they often are not. This series has had some long-running problems that Horikoshi speedrunning the ending is certainly exacerbating, but those problems didn't appear out of thin air.

What has readability of fights, which is an art issue (and something Horikoshi always struggled with), to do with his ability as a writer? :confused:

Aside from that, I don't think we disagree? MHA had definitely it's share of issues that were mostly balanced by it's strengths and the current speed-running exacerbated the former while diminishing the latter, resulting in far weaker manga than it would have been if Horikoshi was still taking it's time. Shigaraki would still be stupidly over-powered and the whole dumb possession by AfO thing would still be present, but the traitor plot, Lady Nagant, Stars-and-Stripes, the edgy Deku phase, all other members of LoV (including Re-Destro and co) and Class A and B students at the very least would be all handled better, which would make far easier to tolerate Shigaraki's and AfO's bullshit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was responding to your comment about "the current state of MHA," though I might have imprecisely phrased that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tbp posted:

Maybe this is a bit perpendicular to the point of this thread but this comment raised the question again in my head - any real reason this isn't a more common arrangement in manga? I know in US comics, its almost always writer+artist, and a few manga have done it successfully like Death Note

It's pretty simple. Money.

If you're handling writing and drawing, you get the full check from Jump and you get rich if the manga is a hit. Two people involved, the money is split down the middle.

You still see it reasonably often (Dr. Stone and Akane-banashi are recent examples) but if someone can pull double duty, it's more economically viable to keep things that way.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it true Shonen Jump tells series to start wrapping it up if they go on for too long to avoid another situation of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach just being mainstays for several years?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

It's pretty simple. Money.

If you're handling writing and drawing, you get the full check from Jump and you get rich if the manga is a hit. Two people involved, the money is split down the middle.

You still see it reasonably often (Dr. Stone and Akane-banashi are recent examples) but if someone can pull double duty, it's more economically viable to keep things that way.

I think there's also the fact that writing a manga well also requires some knowledge of how to draw manga (I think the "writers" are frequently actually drawing the story-boards).

And unless your manga is a big hit, it doesn't pay well enough to split the check more than it's already being split with assistants (and most manga obviously aren't starting out as hits, so by the time they do have that sort of money they'll already be accustomed to doing both the art and writing themselves).

So I seem to usually only see this arrangement when the manga has someone already famous as the author and/or writer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Is it true Shonen Jump tells series to start wrapping it up if they go on for too long to avoid another situation of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach just being mainstays for several years?

Why would they? When a series gets popular like that it just prints money

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RatHat posted:

Why would they? When a series gets popular like that it just prints money

Because when a series gets popular can be after they've decided to shutter it (Demon Slayer).

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Trying to turn the manga into an Akira boss fight is pretty bold. I just wanted them to finish all three years of hero school and watch them grow but I guess author fatigue took over. Vigalantes was real good too up until the last fight which felt like it lasted forever

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah when it was superhero high school with some sinister stuff happening in the background it was a lot more fun than this rushed end of the world scenario that's going on now but whatever it's what we're getting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Definitely should've been a bit more spread out in terms of events in the school year and maybe moving some of the end of the world bosses to second year, before things really went to poo poo. But hey, relatively short reread compared to some behemoths.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I am very curious as to how this'll read when you don't have an entire week to grumble about it

Binge-reading helped immensely with the Overhaul and War arcs

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
A girl and I started watching Demon Slayer together and we ended up catching up to the anime after a few days of watching a few hours after work then we both started reading the manga and that series went from 0 to 100 so fast. Like once they hit the gas the rest of the series felt like it only lasted 50 chapters

Maybe My Hero Academy will feel that way too for future generations. But while reading it it feels like its dragging on forever. Special shout out to One Piece which I started reading in 97 or 98 but the Wano arc feels like it's lasted my entire adult life

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

apropos of nothing: the whole hand thing with shigaraki really doesn't go anywhere, huh. like obviously there's something going on there with touch since he can't touch things without destroying them, but then it turns out the explanation is just "oh yeah AFO put his family's hands on him to continually retraumatize him." the idea of "reaching a hand out" to someone comes up a lot as a visual for saving people, but Shigaraki never really interacts with that beyond the obvious Rogue thing. now he's reaching peak evil power and has nothing BUT hands, but like, the infinite akira hands (that can actually touch things!) don't actually fulfill anything thematically or pay anything off. it's just More Hands.

just seems like a lot of wasted effort for something that never really got more interesting than "you have to reach out a hand to save someone, but shigaraki can't grab a hand without destroying it. makes u think huh?" just thinking about this because fingers and hands come up a ton in elden ring but in ways that feel much more compelling. stuff like the two fingers and three fingers forming a complete hand, or arm grafting as a direct extension of tree grafting, which is itself a reference to the ways the golden order takes foreign elements into itself or unnaturally extends its own lifespan. the game uses hands to visualize and rework and expand upon its themes. meanwhile after 360 chapters horikoshi still hasn't gotten very far past "boy, hands, huh?"

Valentin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 28, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Shigaraki was always perfectly capable of touching things with his hands, he just can't do it with all of his fingers, so it's not even really a Rogue thing. He could make himself completely safe by wearing billiard gloves.

At one point early on he grabs Deku by the throat without killing him by doing an elegant lifted pinky.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Moreover, he starts choking him out, probably not even on purpose, because he’s so salty about All Might, which makes it stand out even more as a subconscious thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shigaraki meeting Deku was such a good moment.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/3926/my-hero-academia-chapter-361

Suneater will become all of the food!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Even translated, I still have no idea what that thing is supposed to be.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The spoilers before make more sense now. Miro's comment resonated with what's left of Shigaraki's original child personality before AFO groomed him into a psychopath and it came out because of whatever messed up mind transplant stuff is breaking down. Mirio apologizing is more of a WTF reaction than anything because it's so weird.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

very curious where this goes now. in terms of outcome, if tamaki does meaningful damage to shigaraki, bakugo looks like a chump. if he doesn't, the big 3's big moment comes to nothing. not that everything comes down to who wins and who loses, but horikoshi has given us no other stakes to hold on to; every character's goal at this point is just "stay in the fight and beat the other guy" now that the dabi stuff is all over but the crying/awakening/suicide explosion or whatever. it's like licenseless rider versus the deep sea king without any pathos or drama. thinking this probably doesn't do much and bakugo ends up doing more after he Awakens, though. in general I think this arc will read much better in one go, but man has it been pretty eh week to week.

also making tenko shimura a separate personality and identity entirely from shigaraki very easily lends itself to the most boring version of saving shigaraki possible, so not loving that! though if we actually get a "eri's powers revert shigaraki to child form so he can have a second chance at a better life" ending, as I have seen occasionally floated, that's so stupid it wraps back around to hilarious.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 29, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah rewinding Shigaraki would be super lame

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Jesus, what'd Suneater do, eat a loving zoo?

Also I think Mirio's apology is weird but I think it's just because it's hard to get the tone across? It feels like Mirio himself is super weirded out by Shigaraki's response and he's less actually apologizing and more doing that "Okay jeez, sorry I said anything, what the gently caress is wrong with that guy" kind of thing. I mean, Shigaraki basically just responded to his accusation of having no friends by childishly naming two people he knew when he was 5 and also his childhood dog. That's a pretty bizarre response.

Edit - Also, also, rip in peace Spinner, less important to Shigs than the loving dog

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

when Lunch Rush makes an everything bagel he doesn’t gently caress around

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Mirio's apology is 100% instinctual while he's busy thinking wtf to himself, not a genuine apology. It's actually hilarious imo

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

Also I think Mirio's apology is weird but I think it's just because it's hard to get the tone across? It feels like Mirio himself is super weirded out by Shigaraki's response and he's less actually apologizing and more doing that "Okay jeez, sorry I said anything, what the gently caress is wrong with that guy" kind of thing. I mean, Shigaraki basically just responded to his accusation of having no friends by childishly naming two people he knew when he was 5 and also his childhood dog. That's a pretty bizarre response.

Edit - Also, also, rip in peace Spinner, less important to Shigs than the loving dog

To be fair to my guy Spinner Tomura didn't know him and that's the personality that is coming out of the mess that is Shigaraki right now.

Honestly the dog really does get to me since he was a family member that actively defended Tomura against his dad and then comforted him at his lowest and his reward was being killed. Even "I always had wished this would happen" Tomura seemed to really have a connection with his pet and it's really terrible the more it comes up.

Staltran posted:

Mirio's apology is 100% instinctual while he's busy thinking wtf to himself, not a genuine apology. It's actually hilarious imo

yeah exactly I don't see how you could have much of any other reaction

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 29, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Super cheap to sidestep the shigaraki problem by removing shigaraki from the equation entirely and making his childhood self a literal entity inside him

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I hope this isn't going to literal Tomura being a separate entity within Shigaraki. Shigaraki is Tomura after being warped following a supremely traumatic experience and shouldn't be a new person entirely.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

just real quick: tenko shimura, tomura shigaraki. tomura is shigaraki but tomura has always been shigaraki.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks I had his names misremembered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

Super cheap to sidestep the shigaraki problem by removing shigaraki from the equation entirely and making his childhood self a literal entity inside him

At this point, it really does seem like Deku is going to punch AFO reaaaally hard and that will solve, like, 95% of the issues in the series.