Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/1552471960742936576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

partial credit

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

imo its fine to be iffy about selling based off some ones brain trauma so if people arent into it I get it since people were mad at WWE when they did it with Bryan, but lmao this tweet

https://twitter.com/ElDandyJason/status/1552478514338725889

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
broken titty didn't contribute to a man killing his wife and son

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Tampa Bae posted:

but wrestling did so stop watching

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tampa Bae posted:

If it's 2010 I get it, but it's 15 years later and my brain doesn't immediately go Benoit when a doctor checks on someone who takes a clearly telegraphed wrestling spot. It'd be one thing if they did it after an a worked botch, but like, they set up the spot like you would a typical wrestling move.

Plus AEW promised a real sports feel and in real sports the doctor checks on your if they think you have a concussion and then comes up with an excuse to let you stay in the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i watch football and UFC i've seen more than enough real brain damage to be completely immune to people pretending to have brain damage

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

i'm not really for anything that actually makes wrestling safer but i demand to stop being reminded of the possible consequences

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/WhittyGames/status/1552436779214831617?t=1dBq1eoQxq_XTljdMWTHzA&s=19

Old Man Punk doesnt understand Modern WWE.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Some day, the WWE will value me, Seth Rollins, 4 time world champion

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

imo its fine to be iffy about selling based off some ones brain trauma so if people arent into it I get it since people were mad at WWE when they did it with Bryan, but lmao this tweet

Last time I watched WWE it felt like every single match had a moment where one of the commentators would say "he's out on his feet"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s one of my pet peeves when commentators say “oh he’s knocked out” and then the guy does a move five seconds later.

Also when they say a submission is “locked in” and the guy in it either gets to the ropes after ages or just reverses it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

MassRafTer posted:

If it's 2010 I get it, but it's 15 years later and my brain doesn't immediately go Benoit when a doctor checks on someone who takes a clearly telegraphed wrestling spot. It'd be one thing if they did it after an a worked botch, but like, they set up the spot like you would a typical wrestling move.

Plus AEW promised a real sports feel and in real sports the doctor checks on your if they think you have a concussion and then comes up with an excuse to let you stay in the game.
I understand the difference in opinions. Personally seeing how many athletes in high contact sports coming out with severe depression and other issues is enough to make me feel faking concussion issues is is across my personal line when wrestling should be a little better about stressing the importance of not glorifying stiff concussive blows to the head but I know at the end of the day when it's a work like that it's not any different than watching a movie.

At least it's not as dumb as faking a seizure on screen then having to clarify on twitter later that no, in fact she was pretending to hallucinate she was covered in bugs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

Also when they say a submission is “locked in” and the guy in it either gets to the ropes after ages or just reverses it.

Otherwise known as the Joe Rogan special

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Arespoe/status/1552479158965600256

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tampa Bae posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYgs6DDlbk4

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Seams posted:

It’s one of my pet peeves when commentators say “oh he’s knocked out” and then the guy does a move five seconds later.

Ok pronoun boy

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dude on wreddit admits he didn’t watch the show but he has lots of thoughts about why dynamite was bad last night

Some notes on what consists of a "story" and what is just a match setup. posted:

It's Wednesday and you know what that means - me being irked at AEW and their fanbase's idea of storytelling. I flipped through the show tonight so I will be using 411's review as my basis.
Show begins with Moxley vs. Rush. I did see this. I had no idea who Rush was and it was a clear jobber matchup. Which is fun because in AEW instead of it just being a jobber match to get the champion on the mic with someone after a 4 minute match, it also counts as a "Win" and a successful title defense. Fun! Anyway, this is not a story, but it didn't have to be. That's fine. After the match out comes the Jericho Appreciation Society, with Anna Jay. Let's be clear, Anna Jay now being in the JAS is not a story, nor is it storytelling. It's just something that happened and they are telling you it happened. Anyway, Jericho tells Moxley he is going to fight him at another show. Is this storytelling? No. This is just setting up a future match. There's no story here, even with Jericho saying he wants to avenge a loss two and a half years ago as a flimsy excuse for the match to exist. This isn't what storytelling is, even though I am sure someone out there had to change their underwear at the realization a random match almost three years ago was actually "long term storytelling".
Moving on, more belts.
Moving on, Dante Martin and Sammy Guevara talk. This is also match setup. The matches are dictating who talks to who.
Moving on, Ricky Stars comes out and does stuff. This MIGHT be storytelling! A lot of stuff happens which itself is all random, but it could be telling a Ricky Starks story. But also, Ricky Starks might be going off TV, being fired, being sent to ROH. It's not clear. That's a problem AEW has, events happen without precedent or follow up. I can't say if this is a story or not. But given all the stuff that did happen, I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for now.
Sammy vs Martin is next on this list. A whole bunch of stuff happens post match that had nothing to do with this match, really confirming the randomness of the match. It's really a bit of a mess if you ask me. Why does Skye Blue even care? Is this what Eddie Kingston is doing now? Wasn't he just sort of feuding with Chris Jericho? This is the definition of aimless booking. Shouldn't we build on what happened between Eddie and Jericho? Eddie could be upset about his loss and go on a mean streak? Jericho could use his victory to change his persona, but not like Moxley wanted? Or... we can just all move on. That not only makes this not a story, but really hurts the story that they tried to tell between Jericho and Kingston. Why isn't Moxley looking forward to avenging Eddie Kingston? Aren't they friends? The idea of storytelling falls apart with every change.
Jay Lethal and friends set up a match against Best Friends. This is pure match setup.
Christian Cage and Jungle Boy is storytelling. Christian Cage is literally the best in the business. AEW is lucky to have him and finally realizing that they should probably use the guy. I would like to see a Christian Cage World Title reign. Probably the only person in AEW who can gain real heat.
Young Bucks want the Trios titles. Nothing new here. This is why ROH made the Trios Titles after all. Those belts still exist by the way. If you don't hold a belt in this company you are a nobody. Anyway, one thing I hate the most about Trios Belts is taking a tag team and adding a third person to it and now you are a Trios team. Check off another box for "things I hate". (I also hate when tag teams are two separate people. I am an equal opportunity hater.)
Tony Nese vs. Swerve Strickland is a match that happened. One of you will have to tell me if this is actually a storyline or if it's just a random series of matches for Swerve to pad his record. I highly, highly doubt there is any development going on here. Who is Josh Woods?
The House of Black get a promo for a match against Darby Allin. Sadly this is also just match setup. House of Black is the same, Darby Allin is the same, they're just wrestling each other. There's no story.
A very anticipated match between Miyu Yamashita and Thunder Rosa happened. There wasn't going to be a story here, but that's okay. Not everything needs a story. Is Thunder Rosa the AEW Champion though? Cause AEW seems to have forgotten. Why not give her an "Open Door Challenge" gimmick so this match fits into a storyline? It's really that easy. It's a fun matchup, but devalues everyone involved when there's nothing to gain from it. Thunder Rosa beats a random person? What's she gain from that? But if she's issuing a challenge, she's showing her prowess off while exuding confidence. That's the difference with a random match between a "match setup" and a "storyline". That's why basic rear end "fighting champion" storylines exist. You can't tell me they didn't have 30 seconds on any show since Thunder Rosa became champion to give her this gimmick. Or a gimmick. Or a personality. ALSO - I thought this was a typo, but Miyu won this opportunity to face Thunder Rosa by... BEATING THUNDER ROSA?! OFF TV?!? This is insanity. I hope they didn't tell the audience that. Jesus.
Garcia vs. Bryan Danielson is next. Might the ending be part of a story for Danielson? Maybe. Might it be part of a push for Garcia? Maybe. We'll have to find out. The match itself was random unless someone wants to enlighten me. This is the kind of match you could telegraph with Danielson talking about being rusty, or telling a story of being rusty in the ring. As far as I can tell, none of that happened. Story building opportunities were left on the floor. You should always be building to your main event during a show. It will be interesting to see if there is any fallout from this match, but if the entire history of AEW has taught me anything it's that there won't be. And I am waiting to be surprised.
So yes, a show with very little story development. From a company that generally doesn't do story development. And yet is praised heavily for it's storylines. I wish people would understand what a story is. I see some good storytelling on OVW so you cant tell me it's something difficult to pull off.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

some people need to be bullied

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dimebags Brain posted:

Dude on wreddit admits he didn’t watch the show but he has lots of thoughts about why dynamite was bad last night

Tony’s going to read this entire post on the air next week on Busted Open

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

i hate trios because it's just adding one person to two people. i also hate tag teams because the people aren't the same person.

these are things they actually typed. this post might be storytelling.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I need more story in my wrestling.

No, not that story.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Thank you for quoting that instead of linking it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think that guy might just be the world's only OVW mark because his last post about wrestling before that was complaining that some interview doesn't mention that Leila Grey is the OVW Women's Champion and instead talks about her being in AEW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Yeah Joe Rogan's guillotine calls are kind of annoying.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i hate trios because it's just adding one person to two people. i also hate tag teams because the people aren't the same person.

I'm a big fan of "Moving on, Dante Martin and Sammy Guevara talk. This is also match setup. The matches are dictating who talks to who."

They should just have segments of random people having conversations on TV that don't lead to matches.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm a big fan of "Moving on, Dante Martin and Sammy Guevara talk. This is also match setup. The matches are dictating who talks to who."

They should just have segments of random people having conversations on TV that don't lead to matches.

The only time I watched raw in the last few years is when Zelina Vega poisoned one of the Street Profits and that led to a match and that is the type of storytelling needed here

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It is the one WWF thing I will literally never like.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

All that stuff is just match setup. Story is where this guy got kicked in the side of the head by a horse and lost significant cognitive function.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's only a story when someone winds up covered in poo viscous fluids

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

Thank you for quoting that instead of linking it.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Brody King and Darby Allin should be feuding over who gets to be in a skateboard commercial, now that’s a story.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Agree with him, but I also hate singles wrestlers because it's just one person.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The writer in me is crying at that post.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That guy drew a lot of conclusions about a show based off of thirdhand information and stuff he didn’t know, like calling rush of all people a jobber

And wrote a whoooooole lot

If he had spent that time watching the show, he might have actually enjoyed it

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

My eyes slid off the post at some point, Did he ever like, define what storytelling actually is, or was it all whining about setting up matches not being storytelling?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Madtrixr posted:

My eyes slid off the post at some point, Did he ever like, define what storytelling actually is, or was it all whining about setting up matches not being storytelling?

If I'm being charitable it basically reads like he wants the matches set up by the story rather than the story being the matches. Like if Wheeler Yuta spilled something on Daniel Garcia and they got mad at each other and had a match as a result of that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

some people need to be bullied

Is that a thing that happened, or a story?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CobiWann posted:

The writer in me is crying at that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Pylons posted:

If I'm being charitable it basically reads like he wants the matches set up by the story rather than the story being the matches. Like if Wheeler Yuta spilled something on Daniel Garcia and they got mad at each other and had a match as a result of that.

Yeah basically the only way I can make sense of the viewpoint logically without just assuming it's window-dressing for "I didn't like it" is that the poster believes actual wrestling should first and foremost be a means for a bunch of weird characters to settle their personal grievances like some kind of trial by combat, rather than a pretend athletic organization first in which grievances between the competitors develop around the competition