Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

gwrtheyrn posted:

The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady. They never go over the actual part where the character gets isekaid in detail or who they were before, but they're definitely not from the world. You can infer that the MC was male in their previous life if you wish...or not. I don't remember it being explictly stated,
There wasn't anything like that in this one. If they are specifically looking for that, this will come up short.

Tensei Shitara has an interesting premise but is slow on updates.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain Invictus posted:

Ascendence of a Bookworm - has multiple anime season, apparently very highly regarded, but I've not checked it out.

I'd definitely second this recommendation. It's my favorite Japanese series right now. Though I'd suggest the LN rather than the manga or the anime. Anime has portrayed up to what would be the end of part 2 (books 1-7) but there's parts 3,4, and 5 (the last of which haven't been translated yet) for another 26 volumes. It doesn't look like there will be any more anime. The manga, while well done, is tackling such an enormous series that they have 3 separate mangaka working on it at the same time (Parts 1 and 2 assigned to one, Parts 3 and 4 each assigned to another) with no one even starting part 5. It'll probably be 10+ years before the manga is done.

The light novel series will finish the Japanese version sometime next year, and the English translation should finish in 2 years at the 2 month per book pace they are doing. Plus it's really well written.

https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I will second the Ascendance of a Bookworm LN recommendation. It's a fantastic series and all of the characters are great.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

8one6 posted:

I will second the Ascendance of a Bookworm LN recommendation. It's a fantastic series and all of the characters are great.

Are there any other series that have been written/translated to an equal or higher text complexity? I've tried to get into LN before, but struggled to stay engaged due to the simplistic writing style they tend to have. Not a :humblebrag: about me only reading Tolkien or Bulgakov, just that I prefer my books densely packed.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Even though it's at the top of a number of lists already, I can't recommend The Faraway Paladin enough. The characters are compelling and deep, the setting is interesting, the stakes feel real and if there's anything that I love about the main character, it's that he's powerful without being so powerful that he just blazes through everything. At the same time, he's a kind, gentle, thoughtful person who has been taught that sometimes, you really can solve problems with overwhelming violence. He's often resolving problems with talking and negotiation and even with economics, but sometimes you just have to thump someone so they'll listen to you or just break something or someone. So if you're going to need violence as a tool, you should probably be really good at it, and the MC is really good at it.

Though I think my favorite piece of the setting and characters is that it is an exploration of faith done well. The deity that the main character worships and the antagonist deity who the main character talks to now and again and in the case of the antogonist deity, literally fights a small piece of them, are deeply interesting. They're both gods of death in a way and their fight is over their personal philosophy over what death should mean. And also, they both love people and their philosophy on death has interesting consequences as a result to the people that they love.

Also I'm not sure if this is 100% correct as it's been a while since I've read the beginning, but I believe I'm mostly correct after double checking the wiki on both of them.

The patron goddess named Gracefeel is a believer that when you die, you die and you move on to be reborn again. She's basically the status quo and she's fallen out of favor as a deity of worship. The MC is a paladin of a second string goddess.

The antagonist Stagnate believes that literally no one should die ever. That death is objectively bad and that it should be prevented and avoided no matter what. That whenever someone dies, something is permanently lost from the world. As a result, Stagnate wants to preserve everything just is it was. What this means in practice is that Stagnate is the god of undeath and that they're keeping around ghosts and skeletons and zombies and poo poo because someone permanently dying in the word sucks. But the result of their rejection of death is decay. And also they have all of these undead around and they use it to keep other people from dying permanently. So you can guess how that shakes out sometimes. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

So their fight is over whether people should be allowed to die, which means that the philosophical fight is over whether things should change or not. Gracefeel wants people to die and be reborn so things can change. Stagnate doesn't want anyone to die ever, which means she's against change.

What makes this the most interesting to me isn't Gracefeel, though the MC worshiping a second tier god is still pretty cool to me. It's that the intentions of Stagnate aren't evil. Stagnate isn't some classic figure like Satan or say like some evil deity from D&D. The results are destructive and suck, but you can understand the philosophy behind them. Stagnate believes that people are the best thing ever and it's a tragedy when they die.

As a writer, I deeply appreciate when a villain or antagonist isn't evil for the sake of being evil, though there is plenty of room for that in fiction. What interests me most is when the villain or antagonist has a philosophy that differs from the hero or protagonist. One that's so completely different that conflict is the only logical result. You have a good point but so do they. And in The Faraway Paladin, the default is when people die, they die forever. And what's seen as unnatural is when those people are preserved and turn into the undead. Neither are entirely right or wrong in their philosophy, but the end result sucks either way.

It reminds me of a dialectic or the art of investigating the truth of opinions. And what I really want for this story is something like a Hegelian Dialectic. You have your thesis in Gracefeel. You have your antithesis in Stagnate. And through clashes where the thesis is pitted against the antithesis, you might get something from both of them, the synthesis, or a resolution into some higher truth. And I'm really hoping we get towards some ending like that someday, because neither of them are wrong, but neither are right either. I think it would be a lot more satisfying that slaying the god of undeath and returning to the status quo where people die, because that still sucks and should be changed too.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 30, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jomo posted:

Are there any other series that have been written/translated to an equal or higher text complexity? I've tried to get into LN before, but struggled to stay engaged due to the simplistic writing style they tend to have. Not a :humblebrag: about me only reading Tolkien or Bulgakov, just that I prefer my books densely packed.

The lack of textual complexity is kind of what makes them Light Novels.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

8one6 posted:

The lack of textual complexity is kind of what makes them Light Novels.

Definite self own on my part here. It's just annoying when a manga/anime finishes and it's either pick-up the LN or wait ~years~ for the next visual installment. I have different standards & preferences for each medium dammit! :spergin:

Ice Phisherman posted:

Even though it's at the top of a number of lists already, I can't recommend The Faraway Paladin enough.

I watched this anime before finding out it's quite recommended around here. Does the manga quality keep up with the LN expectations?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The only problem with Paladin is the author is going through some stuff and hasn't been able to put out a new book in like five years. No cliffhangers or anything but there's a bunch more set up for future stories that I'd love to read.

Jomo posted:

I watched this anime before finding out it's quite recommended around here. Does the manga quality keep up with the LN expectations?
I haven't noticed much of any difference between the two and the manga art is great.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I do recall the manga having a weird point where it did a major time skip and then summarized like several arcs worth of story into a conversation in a featureless hallway. I'm not sure if that was it just skipping stuff or if that also happens in the LN though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'll admit it's actually been a while since I read the manga so that might have happened but there's also a two year time skip in both the manga and LN with a long sitting conversation between characters. Lots of flashbacks. I think it was at the start of one of the novels.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jomo posted:

I absolutely recommend the manga over the anime. I actually consider the anime to be the worst version of the series by far.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I absolutely recommend the manga over the anime. I actually consider the anime to be the worst version of the series by far.

I haven't read the manga or LN of Paladin, but I know I dropped the anime after a few episodes because it had pretty low production values and was boring as hell.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ice Phisherman posted:

Even though it's at the top of a number of lists already, I can't recommend The Faraway Paladin enough. The characters are compelling and deep, the setting is interesting, the stakes feel real and if there's anything that I love about the main character, it's that he's powerful without being so powerful that he just blazes through everything. At the same time, he's a kind, gentle, thoughtful person who has been taught that sometimes, you really can solve problems with overwhelming violence. He's often resolving problems with talking and negotiation and even with economics, but sometimes you just have to thump someone so they'll listen to you or just break something or someone. So if you're going to need violence as a tool, you should probably be really good at it, and the MC is really good at it.

Though I think my favorite piece of the setting and characters is that it is an exploration of faith done well. The deity that the main character worships and the antagonist deity who the main character talks to now and again and in the case of the antogonist deity, literally fights a small piece of them, are deeply interesting. They're both gods of death in a way and their fight is over their personal philosophy over what death should mean. And also, they both love people and their philosophy on death has interesting consequences as a result to the people that they love.

Also I'm not sure if this is 100% correct as it's been a while since I've read the beginning, but I believe I'm mostly correct after double checking the wiki on both of them.

The patron goddess named Gracefeel is a believer that when you die, you die and you move on to be reborn again. She's basically the status quo and she's fallen out of favor as a deity of worship. The MC is a paladin of a second string goddess.

The antagonist Stagnate believes that literally no one should die ever. That death is objectively bad and that it should be prevented and avoided no matter what. That whenever someone dies, something is permanently lost from the world. As a result, Stagnate wants to preserve everything just is it was. What this means in practice is that Stagnate is the god of undeath and that they're keeping around ghosts and skeletons and zombies and poo poo because someone permanently dying in the word sucks. But the result of their rejection of death is decay. And also they have all of these undead around and they use it to keep other people from dying permanently. So you can guess how that shakes out sometimes. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

So their fight is over whether people should be allowed to die, which means that the philosophical fight is over whether things should change or not. Gracefeel wants people to die and be reborn so things can change. Stagnate doesn't want anyone to die ever, which means she's against change.

What makes this the most interesting to me isn't Gracefeel, though the MC worshiping a second tier god is still pretty cool to me. It's that the intentions of Stagnate aren't evil. Stagnate isn't some classic figure like Satan or say like some evil deity from D&D. The results are destructive and suck, but you can understand the philosophy behind them. Stagnate believes that people are the best thing ever and it's a tragedy when they die.

As a writer, I deeply appreciate when a villain or antagonist isn't evil for the sake of being evil, though there is plenty of room for that in fiction. What interests me most is when the villain or antagonist has a philosophy that differs from the hero or protagonist. One that's so completely different that conflict is the only logical result. You have a good point but so do they. And in The Faraway Paladin, the default is when people die, they die forever. And what's seen as unnatural is when those people are preserved and turn into the undead. Neither are entirely right or wrong in their philosophy, but the end result sucks either way.

It reminds me of a dialectic or the art of investigating the truth of opinions. And what I really want for this story is something like a Hegelian Dialectic. You have your thesis in Gracefeel. You have your antithesis in Stagnate. And through clashes where the thesis is pitted against the antithesis, you might get something from both of them, the synthesis, or a resolution into some higher truth. And I'm really hoping we get towards some ending like that someday, because neither of them are wrong, but neither are right either. I think it would be a lot more satisfying that slaying the god of undeath and returning to the status quo where people die, because that still sucks and should be changed too.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Some of my favorite parts are they scene where he's speaking with the dwarven elders about all that they endured felt very poignant just how crushed and heartbroken that a group of people who has father had talked about a being a race of proud warriors and artisans being so beaten and broken.

The other was the scene in this cave where they speak with a crow avatar of Stagnate and the dwarf prince asks about his ancestor to which Stagnate laughsbat how fates wheel turns and reveals that this ancestor the last Dwarf King was a glorious hero who died a spectacular death taking the eye and severely wounding a dragon who was the equal of the Gods.

All of the other moments shouldn't need an explanation since it's the moments with his family and growing up, learning to cope with death and dying, his vow to Gracefeel, the Goddess Mater protecting Mary showing she had always loved her, and him praying during his parents passing.

The series is just a cavalcade of awesome and poignant moments.

Marked just in case.

Edit: You'd likely enjoy Undead Adventurer for similar reasons as Faraway Paladin.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 30, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

I haven't read the manga or LN of Paladin, but I know I dropped the anime after a few episodes because it had pretty low production values and was boring as hell.
definitely try the manga, it's worth it, especially compared to everything I've read about the anime.

edit: god drat it I misconstrued Undead Adventurer with Skeleton Knight, which is decidedly not good, while Unwanted Undead Adventurer is pretty solid as far as "general isekai" go.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 31, 2022

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

definitely try the manga, it's worth it, especially compared to everything I've read about the anime.

edit: god drat it I misconstrued Undead Adventurer with Skeleton Knight, which is decidedly not good, while Unwanted Undead Adventurer is pretty solid as far as "general isekai" go.

Skeleton Knight is a VERY mixed bag. It has the whole violent sexual assault thing going on, but it very much shows that and slavery to be VERY bad and evil things and that's the best way to handle those kinds of people as sword and knife them a lot. It's definetly not one that goes on the wholesome Isekai thread.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Skeleton Knight is a VERY mixed bag. It has the whole violent sexual assault thing going on, but it very much shows that and slavery to be VERY bad and evil things and that's the best way to handle those kinds of people as sword and knife them a lot. It's definetly not one that goes on the wholesome Isekai thread.

I think I dropped it around episode 3 or 4, when the animation quality felt like someone's attempt at making a show in PowerPoint.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jomo posted:

I think I dropped it around episode 3 or 4, when the animation quality felt like someone's attempt at making a show in PowerPoint.

I know nothing of the anime and am only commenting on the manga.

@Faraway Paladin

I'm still loving pissed about the quality. This deserved SIGNIFICANTLY better. The music was great though. The comments about Will being "whiny" because he cried when a Dark God smugly told him that this parents were going to die and have their souls harvested he him, his parents peacefully dying and moving back into the cycle, and him crying when his best friend is horrifically mutilated in a monster hunt gone awry also soured me, but more towards the entire anime and manga community in general.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
But how can the audience indulge in lizard brain power fantasies when the main character has emotional reactions other than "Hell yeah, I'm awesome and win all the time!"

(Faraway Paladin is one of my favorite things).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

But how can the audience indulge in lizard brain power fantasies when the main character has emotional reactions other than "Hell yeah, I'm awesome and win all the time!"

Sounds like they should get into Sonic (He is not allowed to lose anymore)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lock Knight posted:

Same. The above scenes I listed are some of the scenes in fiction that NEVER EVER fail to get me to get choked up and tear up.

The lizard brain emotional reactions is also my take on a lot of the negative stuff on another anime I watched, Shikimori is not Just Cute.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 31, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

I am current on the skeleton knight manga. It's not good. I'd say it's like 3 out of 10 if that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

I am current on the skeleton knight manga. It's not good. I'd say it's like 3 out of 10 if that.

Ouch. I think the last parts I read were when he and another guy were dressed in tiki masks killing slavers to save some elves. I think some people mentioned that it gets super aimless after that or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah but it takes more than just massacring slavers to save an otherwise bland, tensionless isekai with other poor aspects

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah but it takes more than just massacring slavers to save an otherwise bland, tensionless isekai with other poor aspects

Fair enough though I don't mind the lack of tension though.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Ouch. I think the last parts I read were when he and another guy were dressed in tiki masks killing slavers to save some elves. I think some people mentioned that it gets super aimless after that or something.

I don't know where the manga is now, but around LN 3 they stop looking for the enslaved elves and move more into "Arc looks for food that he remembers from earth" and "Arc accidentally thwarts the evil church" antics.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

RareAcumen posted:

Sounds like they should get into Sonic (He is not allowed to lose anymore)

Ken Penders made everyone involved with Sonic go bug-gently caress crazy. That loving crying Sonic comic...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yooooooo chapter 41 of isekai izakaya nobu, holy poo poo

How is this series so consistently goddamn good

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rudoku posted:

Ken Penders made everyone involved with Sonic go bug-gently caress crazy. That loving crying Sonic comic...

And yet for everything, Sega's half-assed under-parenting was infinity less obnoxious than their current half-assed over-parenting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rudoku posted:

ConanThe3rd posted:

And yet for everything, Sega's half-assed under-parenting was infinity less obnoxious than their current half-assed over-parenting.

I have to imagine that lawsuit is why they're so weird now. As far as I can tell, they're the only series with animal protagonists that don't have a nailed down world where they all live on and regularly interact. It's either them and humans like Adventure, 06, Black Knight and Unleashed or there's just levels like Generations. I guess the Sonic Boom game is the closest they've gotten to that but that thing must've been kicked down the totem pole so much that they had their E team working on it.

Even Pokemon will make a spinoff and only show Pokemon and 0 humans compared to that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sega are just thoroughly incompetent.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Their lore bible is massively ill-conceived. Sonic Boom, being a separate universe, was supposed to fix some of that, but they still had bizarre mandates from above.

To quote the sonic wiki on a character you meet early in the game,

"Cliff was originally intended to be an inventor by Big Red Button Entertainment. However, because it violated Sonic Team's guidelines that only Tails and Eggman could be inventors in the Sonic Boom continuity, that concept got scrapped, and Cliff ended up becoming an archeologist."

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

A new Yakuza Reincarnation dropped.I love how this manga never spends more than a chapter getting from place to place. Poor Jormungandr had no idea what hit it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThingOne posted:

A new Yakuza Reincarnation dropped.I love how this manga never spends more than a chapter getting from place to place. Poor Jormungandr had no idea what hit it
"the problem being no strategy works on jormungandr twice."

apparently nobody in all of history thought to just punch the fucker in the mouth, while inside the mouth

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ThingOne posted:

Who needs Silt Striders when you can just fast travel inside the belly of a giant snake?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Yakuza Reincarnation has an official release if you feel like giving it some money

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

why dont you try isekaiing into some pussy

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

RareAcumen posted:

Even Pokemon will make a spinoff and only show Pokemon and 0 humans compared to that.

Already happened, It's called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Konstantin posted:

Already happened, It's called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Right, that's my point.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dongicus posted:

why dont you try isekaiing into some pussy

Readers beware:
This does not work. Dont run into traffic expecting to come out with a waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006