Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gbut posted:

Is there any protection against minting an existing URL?

there isn't any such protection built into the blockchain itself, no

in practice the protection against fake mints comes from centralized authorities like opensea verifying projects, defeating the whole goal of decentralization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That guy trying to find his HDD in the dump is going to experience karma in the fiercest way when he actually finds it but it is irreparably damaged.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ilmucche posted:

how much does it cost to "mint" an nft? enough to toss it on some blockchain somewhere?

Since you own the link and technically not the jpg is it legal to mint a billion nfts that are the same jpg as one of those bored apes or whatever?

Well because crypto likes fees:

it's a somewhat expensive transaction on it's own, but to then mint an nft can have whatever additional fee people want to charge (or 0)

Bonus: say you wanted 10 of a cheap nft? you get to pay for 10 transactions. There's literally no way to handle "I would like 10 of these, please" that actually becomes even vaguely more efficient (like only paying for 1 transaction + mint fees).

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So when bitcoin was $50k+, was this HDD actually worth a billion? Took him long enough to start searching.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

coolusername posted:

What is your strategy to find NFTs that will multiply in value?

:bravo2:

:bravo2:

https://twitter.com/pandapunknft/status/1474765024140742659

Thousands of dollars in Pandas… and that’s right, you can SLURP. YOUR. PANDA.

Is GW still super-litigous because that's straight up a Mechanicus outfit

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

latinotwink1997 posted:

So when bitcoin was $50k+, was this HDD actually worth a billion? Took him long enough to start searching.

this guy has been in the news for i think years now

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

latinotwink1997 posted:

That guy's been in the process of trying to find it since BTC was worth like $1000 or something and when it went to $20K he started trying to get the city to allow him to dig. It's been like seven years of this.

There's another guy in the US who threw out a USB drive and has been doing the same thing for years.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
A real crypto influencer would just sell the rights to a portion of the drive once found. Fund the search and get 10x returns when I regain my lost Nigerian Bitcoin fortune!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
just treat the hard drive like a rai stone and continue trading it

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Just make an NFT of the harddrive and boom, you have your half a billion dollars.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

lol bet this whole story is a hoax. everything about bitcoin is a 7 layer grift dip.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Parkingtigers posted:

Just make an NFT of the harddrive and boom, you have your half a billion dollars.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

latinotwink1997 posted:

Half a billion at peak, that's an article from last year, no idea why it's resurfacing now

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Our provider in Western Europe has that as well. Sent us an email to rejoice, we would now providing free internet to other customers and would het free internet elsewhere as well. I was actually wanting to disable that but never got around yet to figuring out how.

BT do that in the UK, I use my own router for all manner of reasons but removing all control the ISP has over my home router is a pretty major one.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Original plan was to not touch the poop because lol crypto and lowball offer but they won’t leave me alone. I even forwarded the domain to web3isgoinggreat.com

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nexous posted:

Original plan was to not touch the poop because lol crypto and lowball offer but they won’t leave me alone. I even forwarded the domain to web3isgoinggreat.com

Just give them a crypto appropriate valuation based on perceived value. 1 billion dollars or 50% equity stake in nexo as the us portion is half the business. Just if they want you to not forward. Let alone more to actually hand it over.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fishstick posted:

Is GW still super-litigous because that's straight up a Mechanicus outfit

given it's just a link they can change the picture.

I hope all NFTs turn to goatse all at once.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

nexous posted:

Ask the web3 site if they want it so they can post all the begging e-mails too.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

lol. just lol:

New Yorker posted:

I said that surely there was an easier way. The whole point of bitcoin was that it was immaterial. It was the eight thousand bitcoins that he was after, and they were the product of a computer algorithm. It was a matter of public record that someone owned them. Why not just run the system backward to the day that Howells mined his coins, and let him re-mine them?

Howells recoiled. My proposal reminded him, he said, of the worst moment in cryptocurrency history. In 2016, the managers of a competing cryptocurrency platform, Ethereum, agreed to restore the equivalent of sixty million dollars to one of the currency’s holders, after the money was stolen through a vulnerability in the system’s code. Howells had publicly disagreed with this decision at the time—he has been very active on crypto social-media sites—and when Ethereum’s holders split into two camps he sided with those who refused to acknowledge the rollback. Howells told me, with considerable passion, “Just for the record, if somebody came along and said, ‘We can get your five hundred million by doing it this way,’ I’d say, ‘No, thank you.’ Because if they can do it that way for my coins, then they can do it that way for anyone’s coins. And then, if the government asked them to seize someone’s coins, guess what? They could do that as well.”
"actually it's good that it's piss-easy to lose $500 million dollars by forgetting a password, I'm glad that it was this easy to misplace half a billion dollars worth of stuff, i will fight anyone who tries to make it harder to lose an entire Airbus A380 worth of value because I lost the receipt"

ELTON JOHN posted:

just treat the hard drive like a rai stone and continue trading it
genuinely surprised he didn't start a DAO that tries to raise money to finance his search for the hard drive, in return for a cut of the findings. seems like an incredible missed opportunity to scam a bunch of crypto dorks

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I think a lot about how waaaay back in the day I had the opportunity to buy 200 bitcoins for $20. I am positive I would have ended up like that guy having lost the hard drive. Alternatively I would have sold it at $50 and still been kicking myself to this day

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

is USD actual fiat money or is that also another crypto? I can't even tell anymore.

These people would be the worst to try and sell a car to. Show me cash, no not monopoly money, or home printed money, no no, I have to walk your rear end to a bank..oh you don't actually have money in the bank? of loving course, why did you even try and buy the car? You think I'm gonna give you a car for gamer dollars?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

USD is the generally accepted abbreviation for US Dollar so it's the money you can fold and spend at countless locations. There's USDC (whence the confusion and likely not a coincidence) which is Circle's coin which is going as well as could be expected.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

is USD actual fiat money or is that also another crypto?

now traditionally, USD = "United States dollars", so one might make the mistake of assuming that that is actual money. BUT! Many (most? all?) crypto exchanges (including Coinbase now) tell you that you're transacting in "USD" and holding "USD" in your account, when behind the scenes it may actually be a "dollar-backed stablecoin" such as "USDC", which is very much not actual money, but is instead a crypto-based IOU from an extremely shady company that is busy dodging banking and securities laws.

so if we're talking about "USD" on exchanges like Coinbase, the real, honest-to-god answer is: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Was there ever an official explanation for how Bitcoin was supposed to be superior to USD when it's only worth anything because you can trade it for USD?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Was there ever an official explanation for how Bitcoin was supposed to be superior to USD when it's only worth anything because you can trade it for USD?

-immutable blockchain
-no fees
-digital gold
-ron paul

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LordArgh posted:

-immutable blockchain
-no fees
-digital gold
-ron paul

You KNOW this loser has put a ton of money into bitcoin:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

LordArgh posted:

-immutable blockchain
-no fees
-digital gold
-ron paul

-few understand

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Biff Rockgroin posted:

From what I remember the whole idea is that once you are into the BTC space you would exchange BTC like it was real money based on what both people agreed was fair. It's not a flaw in the system that exchanges didn't exist until some guy in New Jersey decided to repurpose a Magic The Gathering card exchange site that had failed to do anything into a BTC exchange (this guy would then sell the site knowing there were basic flaws in it, notified the buyer who didn't do anything about it either and then Mt. Gox became the first major crypto exchange to get hacked). Before that you needed to work directly with another person to exchange goods/services for BTC which led to some hilarious cases where people got robbed in Wal-Mart parking lots for at the time $100 in BTC which would now be "worth" like a million. The rise of exchanges and then lenders changed BTC from being a parallel currency into a store of value/investment asset. That and the pathetic transaction rate that the exchanges worked around by just keeping everything in their wallets and tracking who owns what on a database that isn't on a blockchain.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

coolusername posted:

A real crypto influencer would just sell the rights to a portion of the drive once found. Fund the search and get 10x returns when I regain my lost Nigerian Bitcoin fortune!

Oh my God.

This would work. This would actually work.

Somebody needs to do this. Holy poo poo.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Producers but on the blockchain!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

never mind bitrot and bit decay of drives in ac buildings, but wouldnt a drive in a lireraly tonnage pile with decaying wet biomatter ruin it by now?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

kw0134 posted:

The Aristocrats but on the blockchain!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

kw0134 posted:

The Producers but on the blockchain!

Springtime for Bitler

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

never mind bitrot and bit decay of drives in ac buildings, but wouldnt a drive in a lireraly tonnage pile with decaying wet biomatter ruin it by now?

I agree that this is possibly some sort of weird buttcoin El Dorado

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Is there a better way to HODL than to hide your BTC wallet 20ft under a landfill? I think not.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hello Sailor posted:

Springtime for Bitler

's Economy.
(Oh it's spring time!)
Winter for Paper Finance.
Springtime for Bitler's Economy!
(Springtime Springtime Springtime Springtime Springtime Springtime )
Come on monkeys, hodl diamond hands!

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 28, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Biff Rockgroin posted:

LordArgh posted:

-immutable blockchain
-no fees
-digital gold
-ron paul

- When the collapse of planet happens, USD (and gold and silver coins) will be useless, and bitcoin will dominate instantly making you the next Elon Musk. No do not ask about electricity or digital networks, just buy bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

So doesnt exists or is actually a city of platinum and dumb white euros are going to be like "lol whats this useless silver-like but not silver metal? dump it in the ocean you browns and get me my nfts of gold!!!"

Also listening to a public radio bit about "Buy Now, Pay Later" things that have cropped out over the recent years. lol at people getting into ruinous levels of pseudo debt.