Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

supabump posted:

I'm wondering the same as this is my first interview with a startup. This company so far has been making me do some kind of ~30min discussion with someone at regular intervals for weeks. I get anxious about this kind of thing pretty easily, so it just sucks waiting for a response that doesn't end with "to discuss next steps."

yeah, weeks of 30 minute calls are basically the norm now. all the pain gets spread across weeks, instead of bundled up in a single day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've provided references and the conversations were 10 minutes, tops, even for leadership positions (nothing above senior manager level tho)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The references I provided only required emails but I guess some people are more stressed about that these remote days now that bosses can't look at candidates' shoes to judge them.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I get ref checks for former employees at least a few times per year and literally none of them have asked for more than 5 minutes of my time

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

MononcQc posted:

The references I provided only required emails but I guess some people are more stressed about that these remote days now that bosses can't look at candidates' shoes to judge them.

yeah i understand too but isn't this why they run credit/background checks?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I had a weird one recently where an offer was extended after 2-45 minute interviews (both of which started with an embarrassing 5 minutes of me having to fumble to connect via my phone because the teams browser applet wouldn’t let me unmute)

After negotiating the offer is when they asked for references. super weird

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

when interviewing for my current job I was asked to provide references, but none of them were called

While interviewing candidates here, I think we called a "reference" once, and that was when the candidate worked for the same company my boss used to work for and name dropped one of my bosses friends.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

you’d think so but I think it’s a different thing. my employer just opened a Canadian branch and as part of the procedure to move off of the international contracting agency that tunnelled my employment, I had to go through a background check despite working for them for a year and a half already.

I think background checks are more generally a cover-your-rear end legal move on some checklists (and generally once the offer is signed), whereas the reference checks are a vouching mechanism pre-offer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
insurance, government work, gigantic megacorp work for compliance

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bob dobbs is dead posted:

insurance, government work, gigantic megacorp work for compliance

I can see it for security clearance work, but if you work for FartCorp making web apps or whatever who cares if you torched a car in 1989?

(this is hyperbole / conjecture i dont actually know what they look for or what pops up in a check)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cold on a Cob posted:

As an FYI: In the US unless you get a paper that says very specifically they're running a credit check, likely citing the FCRA, they're not running one (or they're breaking the law).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a few years ago california passed a law making it illegal to take someones credit record into account when making employment decisions

also in a lot of places they have to offer you a personal copy of any background check they run

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

current job set up a short call with both the references I gave them, though they did it after I accepted the offer which seems like a bit late in the process

also I am correct in not accepting linked in network requests from recruiters right?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
if they don’t pay for the inmail I decline and hit the ‘I don’t know this person’ button

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

current job set up a short call with both the references I gave them, though they did it after I accepted the offer which seems like a bit late in the process

also I am correct in not accepting linked in network requests from recruiters right?

i dont think it really matters either way unless you really care about curating your network

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ughghghggghg i think it’s time to look for a new job

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

ughghghggghg i think it’s time to look for a new job

oof. bad week? month? ytd?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Reading the blind forums really helped/opened my eyes as to what was actually available in the job market. Seeing people type like channers about 300k+ salaries really motivates you to get back into the job market. I had really bad motivational issues about interview prep until I started reading it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

No Wave posted:

Reading the blind forums really helped/opened my eyes as to what was actually available in the job market. Seeing people type like channers about 300k+ salaries really motivates you to get back into the job market. I had really bad motivational issues about interview prep until I started reading it.

any highlights? i dunno im super interested to go delving there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a fan of this twitter account

https://twitter.com/bestofamznblind?s=21&t=siOWTXcRmbqRuIVUpdzyjA

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No Wave posted:

100%, get that bread brother. It's all about grinding out that leetcode for a month or so, and then doing a bunch of interview.

There are some dumb as poo poo people who work at those companies. 2 of them come right from my department, and I had to redo entire portions of the codebase because of them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

lol that there's a job board attached to Blind

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

oof. bad week? month? ytd?

new upper and middle management that is taking the politics guns and blasting our team in the face

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

My recent obnoxious interview loop produced a great offer including a title bump, and I might owe some of that success to time spent lurking in this thread. thanks :unsmith:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

supabump posted:

My recent obnoxious interview loop produced a great offer including a title bump, and I might owe some of that success to time spent lurking in this thread. thanks :unsmith:

huzzah.

but the real question is: were your references checked?

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

They were and god bless em. One of them didn't owe me at all but he still made me sound like the greatest dev to walk the earth.

Don't forget to exert a modicum of effort into establishing a rapport with at least a few of your coworkers, everyone

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Captain Foo posted:

new upper and middle management that is taking the politics guns and blasting our team in the face

uh oh. how bad on a scale of one to chud

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lady Radia posted:

uh oh. how bad on a scale of one to chud

office politics, thankfully (?)

The new cio got his position by throwing our team under the bus for the problems of the team he was mismanaging, and our new middle manager cares more about looking good than actually supporting the teams that report to him

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Going to involved in interviews for a coworker in a much more senior position than mine for the first time. Not the exact same function/role but similar. I know the standard stuff still applies (e.g. can I stand to be around this person) but anything else in particular?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sleng Teng posted:

Going to involved in interviews for a coworker in a much more senior position than mine for the first time. Not the exact same function/role but similar. I know the standard stuff still applies (e.g. can I stand to be around this person) but anything else in particular?

Are you going to be reporting to them in any capacity?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Are you going to be reporting to them in any capacity?

Nope! They will have reports eventually but we will have the same boss.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Sleng Teng posted:

my fave ask is to ask them about a technology or system they love and have them elaborate on it until i can get a feel for what they're interested in (e.g. simplicity, cleverness, stability, profit, design, etc)

then ask them about a thing they hated and they'll reveal what pisses them off which is also a good way to suss out character. (if it isn't an atlassian product you can reject the candidate because they haven't done any serious dev work jk it can be whategver)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

for someone more experienced than yourself (or anyone with anywhere near similar experience tbh) you should aim to be learning something in the interview. do they explain a technique, approach or technology that is new to you or use a different perspective? if so it's a good sign that they will be additive to your org.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Corla Plankun posted:

then ask them about a thing they hated and they'll reveal what pisses them off which is also a good way to suss out character. (if it isn't an atlassian product you can reject the candidate because they haven't done any serious dev work jk it can be whategver)

Sometimes I wonder where Atlassian customers come from, because the only place I've worked at that used their products was my very first job, at a local C-tier outsourcer. Never ran into them since (not that I am complaining).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they come in from large enterprises trying to buy being agile

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i don’t mind atlassian products. i think the trick is to have no expectations, so when one of them sucks poo poo your reaction is “ah yes, this piece of poo poo is a piece of poo poo, must be a day ending in ‘y’.”

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Xarn posted:

Sometimes I wonder where Atlassian customers come from, because the only place I've worked at that used their products was my very first job, at a local C-tier outsourcer. Never ran into them since (not that I am complaining).

i have used it at a startup that didn't know any better and thinks its a hardware company

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
jira is ok until you try to customize it a bunch and install a shitload of extensions but everyone always tries to customize it a bunch and install a shitload of extensions

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

they come into the picture when someone suggests sharepoint and is immediately beaten to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

jira is the slowest application ever written even before anyone adds any extensions or customizations