Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

CongoJack posted:

dress nicely and be respectful (act as white as possible)

Showing up in a suit and respecting everyone in the courtroom is acting white. Other races generally show up in rags and call the judge a beeyotch

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Around here cops don't really show up to traffic court unless they gave the ticket to a black/hispanic person, you're almost guaranteed to get anything under a DUI dismissed by appearing at the court while being white.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Ugh, we have a program like this here. Buses stop running in the evening, so you can get a subsidized Lyft ride instead. I just want to be able to take the bus home after an evening out. One of the existing routes would be perfect for me, but it stops at 7 pm.

Yea but think how much money the city would waste paying people to operate its mass transit system? Much better to subsidize a for-profit system that is inherently exploitive to it's workers.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Showing up in a suit and respecting everyone in the courtroom is acting white. Other races generally show up in rags and call the judge a beeyotch

The expected (and only accepted) language, dress code, sucking up to authority, and ove bourgeois respectability theatre is pretty white. I think that was their point.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

speed limit should be like 10 mph near parks but drivers would go ballistic at the mere suggestion they take the safety of others into account, and would never drive that slow, and the police would never enforce it. sure it would save the lives of kids but driving slow is simply intolerable.

I was just on an Army Base today and the speed limit in the housing area is 15mph. People obey it because there are speed bumps every half blocks and the MPs will ticket you for going 1mph over the limit.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I saw someone do something like that at traffic court. A guy completely incapable of understanding what the judge told him. He left the courtroom with a yell and kicked the doors open. He also left through the wrong set of doors and didn't pay his fine. It was great.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I saw someone do something like that at traffic court. A guy completely incapable of understanding what the judge told him. He left the courtroom with a yell and kicked the doors open. He also left through the wrong set of doors and didn't pay his fine. It was great.

I like that guy more than the judge respecters.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
[screams internally]

cool article

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Homocow posted:

[screams internally]

cool article

Paul Verhoeven's efforts were wasted on us.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Scuffy_1989 posted:

I was just on an Army Base today and the speed limit in the housing area is 15mph. People obey it because there are speed bumps every half blocks and the MPs will ticket you for going 1mph over the limit.

Yup you do not speed on base. Or litter on air bases.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Last time I checked it was 1 in 77 and auto fatalities have only gone up since I read that stat in 2018 or so.

(That's population at large, not just your chance of dying in your own car but your chance of also getting crushed by an F-X50 while you're minding your own business at the bus stop.)

I've not ever really seen the stats broken down to confirm, but auto crashes have got to be by far the #1 cause of death for "healthy and productive members of society", no?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cool av posted:

I've not ever really seen the stats broken down to confirm, but auto crashes have got to be by far the #1 cause of death for "healthy and productive members of society", no?

This should be a good proxy (although I believe the bottom end of the range has a lower death rate due to less violence/car use)

I think a big chunk of "other" is drug related.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

For Greece, definitely.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

distortion park posted:

This should be a good proxy (although I believe the bottom end of the range has a lower death rate due to less violence/car use)

ah okay it looks like drugs and suicide are a worse problem in terms of overall preventable deaths, just at some level you'd think there would be more outrage over the quick and indiscriminate type that cars bring, like you get in war, shootings, disasters, and terrorism, vs. the slower and less-perceptible loss of those who succumb to despair

but at another level it makes perfect sense that nobody gives a drat about any of it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's rightly called an opiod crisis.

reading that chart, it looks like the USA getting traffic deaths down to the level of UK, France or Germany would save as many or more young people's lives as getting suicides to 0 or murders to 0. doing as well as Netherlands or Japan would be the same as getting both to 0

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

drat looks like new zealand sucks dick. i'm shocked

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sphyre posted:

drat looks like new zealand sucks dick. i'm shocked

I mean all that everyone knows about New Zealand is LOTR and maybe flight of the Conchords.

Auckland is as bad as LA when it comes to traffic, and they have even worse housing crisis than the US. The anglosphere is rotten all the way through.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

distortion park posted:

I knew we in italy were carbrained but even so i am impressed at how much

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mortons stork posted:

I knew we in italy were carbrained but even so i am impressed at how much

italian drivers are loving horrible. traffic laws basically don't exist at all there.

Ardennes posted:

I mean all that everyone knows about New Zealand is LOTR and maybe flight of the Conchords.

Auckland is as bad as LA when it comes to traffic, and they have even worse housing crisis than the US. The anglosphere is rotten all the way through.
i was working on a large wharf construction project near chch for like 4 months and it ruled. it was basically california without any of the people. but yes very carbrained because transit was non-existent but the whole south island is like 1/3rd size of california with 1/40th the people. drunk driving was kinda just a thing you do there too

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

italian drivers are loving horrible. traffic laws basically don't exist at all there.

i was working on a large wharf construction project near chch for like 4 months and it ruled. it was basically california without any of the people. but yes very carbrained because transit was non-existent but the whole south island is like 1/3rd size of california with 1/40th the people. drunk driving was kinda just a thing you do there too

still much better than america if I’m reading this right

:discourse:: 5.2 per 100k pop, 6.3 per 100k vehicle

:patriot:: 12.4 per 100k pop, 14.2 per 100k vehicle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

Love to learn new facts to hate cars even more.

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/indonesia-runs-road-test-biodiesel-with-40-palm-oil-2022-07-27/

quote:

The government currently mandates that all diesel sold in the country must contain 30% palm oil - the highest compulsory blend in the world.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Scuffy_1989 posted:

i used to work for a company that had a big campus, speed limits were strictly enforced like that too. well not with tickets but they had speed cameras everywhere, you had to give them your license plate number to park on campus, so they knew who you were and if you got dinged too many times for speeding your parking privileges were revoked (which was like a de facto firing lol).

so many people would put the pedal to the metal as soon as they got into city roads, like they had to release all that pent up energy from not speeding.

this campus was also utterly inaccessible by public transit of course

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

cool av posted:

Unfun fact. Americans under 19 years old died to guns more frequently than to cars for the first time in 2020. America solved the alarming car violence by creating more violence to distract from it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cool av posted:

yeah, prior to covid auto crashes were #1 for anyone below 55 IIRC. They were the biggest killer of kids by far.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I remember reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods in college & this particular section hit me upside the head and made me really think about this country's relationship with cars for the first time in my life

American Gods posted:

“There were car gods there: a powerful, serious-faced contingent, with blood on their black gloves and on their chrome teeth: recipients of human sacrifice on a scale undreamed-of since the Aztecs.

anyway, ban all cars

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the bollard can save us if only we stop turning away from its light

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, prior to covid auto crashes were #1 for anyone below 55 IIRC. They were the biggest killer of kids by far.

with COVID over, “firearms recently became the number one cause of death for children in the United States, surpassing motor vehicle deaths and those caused by other injuries.” :geno:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

the bollard can save us if only we stop turning away from its light

praise be :pray:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
that guy has a micropenis

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

this baby mows down so many toddlers they ought to call it the pitbull

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
some car brained morons started a facebook group and they think this is an epic own in their favor

https://twitter.com/traffic_moving/status/1552042430945443841

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That's loving florida if I've ever known it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

mila kunis posted:

some car brained morons started a facebook group and they think this is an epic own in their favor

The Chunnel should be for trains and zombies only

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/jennypfafflin/status/1552730839443709955
The first step in a glorious future of cars only for entertainment. Also the park is only partially "closed" for other private groups that want to reserve it for their activities, it's not actually going to be closed to the public. It's a huge park, they aren't closing the whole thing.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Jul 29, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I can live with a fortnight of bullshit if it meant 50 weeks of freedom from cars ty nascar

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Four Horseman are riding hard these days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mila kunis posted:

are you sure this isn't a troll account

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

saw the saddest thing today by the side of a badly littered road, a sign saying "Picking the litter you left risks lives"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate cars