Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dorium posted:

Which release is that,?

Pussy Plays by Pussy. In fairness I ended up checking popsike later on and while the record does command seriously high prices (though still much lower than what it's currently listed for). I'm curious about what fuckery is happening here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For some reason that keeps popping up in my youtube recommendations. Not sure if that can have enough impact on actual record prices.

e: assuming the algorithm's bringing it to the surface for a lot of people at once, as it sometimes does. Not vain enough to assume my unique recs might impact vinyl prices across the globe.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 26, 2022

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is it a kupiku listing?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

My Lovely Horse posted:

For some reason that keeps popping up in my youtube recommendations. Not sure if that can have enough impact on actual record prices.

e: assuming the algorithm's bringing it to the surface for a lot of people at once, as it sometimes does. Not vain enough to assume my unique recs might impact vinyl prices across the globe.

It DEFINITELY is popping up for both me and my partner non-stop. Was it used in some kinda media, or on Tiktok (I feel old asking this)?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

screaden posted:

Is it a kupiku listing?

are these guys drop shippers? I thought Discogs had banned that. afaik they don't actually have any of this stuff on hand, they just charge insane prices and find it once someone pays them.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Raphael Saadiq's The Way I See It just did a repress for the first time.

And I missed it.

:(

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Against my better (financial) judgment I've got more records on the way

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_D's Pee At State's End
GY!BE - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven
Coheed & Cambria - No World For Tomorrow
Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts
NieR Replicant - 10+1 Years box set (4xLP)

I already have the other NieR boxset (my first vinyl purchase), definitely needed to get this one too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I purchased a second hand copy of the VMP reissue of The Lonesome Crowded West and it sounds wonderful. Really wanted this record but the OP was always prohibitively expensive and the reissues by all standards were terrible. I guess this VMP version was given a remaster and a much better pressing. The gatefold jacket is super heavy too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

poo poo just got real.

quote:

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab brand.
We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.
We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we've achieved and continue to pursue with pride.
Jim Davis
President, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bill Watterson would never do this to us. :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Mobile Fidelity has my deepest sympathies. No one should be subjected to audiophiles.

Read After Burning posted:

Bill Watterson would never do this to us. :colbert:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hate mondays

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

how much you wanna bet jim davis is a Jazz Guy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Bill Watterson is really into the early experimental/freak out jazz of Bob James and super into ethereal era Alice Coltrane.

Not a fan of the Hard-Bop or Big Band though.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tell me you aren't a true head without telling me you aren't a true head

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It's a BOP!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

It's a BOP!

If you ever have guests that have stayed too long just blast the water level drowning music and people will instinctively run screaming from your home.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

dorium posted:

It's a BOP!

How do you like that Varia weight? I've been buying up tons of old Jamaican 12"s and a bunch of them are warped or poorly pressed, as was the case for many records coming from that part of the world in the 70s/80s.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

El Marrow posted:

How do you like that Varia weight? I've been buying up tons of old Jamaican 12"s and a bunch of them are warped or poorly pressed, as was the case for many records coming from that part of the world in the 70s/80s.

Wadja get? :allears:

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

My fav of the most recent haul (though 80s and not 70s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWo3knlsbQ

Some highlights from the rest:

Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
Desmond Dekker - 007
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
TONS of Johnny Osbourne - Fally Lover, Mr. Buddy Bye, Come Back Darling, etc

I've got a box of 100 Reggae / Dub / Lovers' Rock / Mento 45s on the way as well

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

El Marrow posted:

My fav of the most recent haul (though 80s and not 70s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWo3knlsbQ

Some highlights from the rest:

Althea & Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
Desmond Dekker - 007
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop
TONS of Johnny Osbourne - Fally Lover, Mr. Buddy Bye, Come Back Darling, etc

I've got a box of 100 Reggae / Dub / Lovers' Rock / Mento 45s on the way as well

When you say that, I guess you probably are talking about the 12" reggae 45s like Reggaeton and dancehall?, or is lover's rock more romantic side, I guess? I don't know that much about the genres really.

I actually came here to promote a fellow poster, he started acquiring and playing synths a few years ago and I just listened again for the first time in a while and I think he's gotten pretty good. He's definitely put together a big portfolio of albums and I think he always does them on vinyl too. Probably one of the best and most successful musical goon stories.

https://2dcat.bandcamp.com/

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

petit choux posted:

When you say that, I guess you probably are talking about the 12" reggae 45s like Reggaeton and dancehall?, or is lover's rock more romantic side, I guess? I don't know that much about the genres really.

I actually came here to promote a fellow poster, he started acquiring and playing synths a few years ago and I just listened again for the first time in a while and I think he's gotten pretty good. He's definitely put together a big portfolio of albums and I think he always does them on vinyl too. Probably one of the best and most successful musical goon stories.

https://2dcat.bandcamp.com/

The big box of 45s are 7" and are of varied conditions. I bought them as lot of 100 for $70 so it's a diceroll, but not a super expensive one. I've been a reggae / soundclash DJ for a long time but I'm trying to come back from a 6-year hiatus and a cross-country move in which I had to leave lots of my records in the Southeast US.

Lovers Rock is a subgenre of Reggae that focuses on more romantic themes of love and adoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDpa4b-5POc

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

El Marrow posted:

The big box of 45s are 7" and are of varied conditions. I bought them as lot of 100 for $70 so it's a diceroll, but not a super expensive one. I've been a reggae / soundclash DJ for a long time but I'm trying to come back from a 6-year hiatus and a cross-country move in which I had to leave lots of my records in the Southeast US.

Lovers Rock is a subgenre of Reggae that focuses on more romantic themes of love and adoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDpa4b-5POc

Oh, not the stuff with the electronic drum, LOL. ty, if you ever do any sessions and record them, I for one would really appreciate it.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

petit choux posted:

Oh, not the stuff with the electronic drum, LOL. ty, if you ever do any sessions and record them, I for one would really appreciate it.

Yeah certainly! I'm planning on streaming some sets and I'll absolutely let you know.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

If you ever have guests that have stayed too long just blast the water level drowning music and people will instinctively run screaming from your home.

That's the plan!

El Marrow posted:

I love it. I got the 'lighter' variant of the weight but I am strongly considering grabbing the slightly heavier one now after using this one for about a year and a half. It's great though and its built in 7inch adapter is super handy.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

dorium posted:

I love it. I got the 'lighter' variant of the weight but I am strongly considering grabbing the slightly heavier one now after using this one for about a year and a half. It's great though and its built in 7inch adapter is super handy.

Very cool. With all of the 7"s I play, that's what initially drew me to it. Now to decide if I want to pull the very hefty trigger on a Varia mixer!

So you'd say the heavier one is a buy-once-cry-once kind of choice and is worth it?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The record weights are ok for 45s but don't really do much for 12 in records.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I don't find that a record weight helps much with warps or anything, but it seems to give the bass an extra kick.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I don't find that a record weight helps much with warps or anything, but it seems to give the bass an extra kick.

How?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

El Marrow posted:

Very cool. With all of the 7"s I play, that's what initially drew me to it. Now to decide if I want to pull the very hefty trigger on a Varia mixer!

So you'd say the heavier one is a buy-once-cry-once kind of choice and is worth it?

If you're on a direct drive the heavier one would probably be fine, but I've seen only a smattering of reviews of belt driven tables say they have a change in sound quality (and iirc the heavier one on a belt driven table will wear the parts out only negligibly faster than the lighter one would which is where i think the sound quality difference comes from).

all total the lighter one was $140-ish after shipping.

the record being more sturdy to the table would allow the tracking force to stay consistent in the rotation and control the overall resonance.

with that being said it also just depends on your hearing. there's def stuff i dont hear as well as some people because i got a bunch of hearing damage. super fun!

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 29, 2022

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

dorium posted:

If you're on a direct drive the heavier one would probably be fine, but I've seen only a smattering of reviews of belt driven tables say they have a change in sound quality (and iirc the heavier one on a belt driven table will wear the parts out only negligibly faster than the lighter one would which is where i think the sound quality difference comes from).

I'm on a pair of Technics SL-1200 Mk5's. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Boinks posted:

That was my feeling on the subject as well until I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECFduIAmTg

I mean, it could definitely be bullshit. It's really hard to believe a video like this being that I have no idea of who this person is who made it, but it seems to help ever so slightly with records that are really out of shape.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Finally jumping on things and was ready to pull the trigger on a new Audio-Technica AT-LP60X and bam, Best Buy Canada had a refurbished one for $90 CAD, what a steal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

the record being more sturdy to the table would allow the tracking force to stay consistent in the rotation and control the overall resonance.

with that being said it also just depends on your hearing. there's def stuff i dont hear as well as some people because i got a bunch of hearing damage. super fun!

I was too cool to wear ear plugs to concerts when I was in my early 20s so now in my mid-30s I have tinnitus.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I was too cool to wear ear plugs to concerts when I was in my early 20s so now in my mid-30s I have tinnitus.

same! I ruined my hearing in marching band, jazz band and numerous high school bands and then just concerts until my mid-20's where i noticed the ringing and decided to buy like nice ear plugs for shows. being a drummer was both fun and detrimental to my hearing health.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've had tinnitus basically all my life because of some brutal ear/nose/throat nonsense as a young child, so for a while, I really didn't think it could get worse

oops

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I've only gone to a small handful of shows over the course of my life, so my tinnitus is from constantly listening to way-too-loud music with headphones as a kid. :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

concerts sound better with ear plugs in :colbert:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

They do. I wish I knew that much sooner in life but I definitely thought as a kid who went to punk/hardcore shows in the Bay Area that the way to really do it was to get up close, get into the pit hard and stay until I collapse. Stupid way to live.

Other side of the coin

Treated myself because it was the first paycheck of my fresh promotion. Looked up and down Discogs for the right listing, it’s got 4 signifiers of 4 different variations and then 1 signifier that doesn’t fit any of the variations in the listing. Truly the worst. I just want to properly catalog it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

concerts sound better with ear plugs in :colbert:

This is true and I wish someone would have told me that when I was younger. But you know, also the hearing damage bit.