Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Just looked it up: you can only tint the top 4” of front windows in Michigan. drat that’s stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Just looked it up: you can only tint the top 4” of front windows in Michigan. drat that’s stupid.

This is probably in reference to the windshield

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Nope; it’s the front windows. The windshield also has the same restriction.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
what.

that's stupid as poo poo.

also hope there is a factory exemption or my wife's car is illegal af

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

California only allows 85% on the 2 front windows iirc and yeah only a small strip on windshield. Not that it really stops anyone

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I dunno what restrictions there are, but here’s the MSP FAQ https://www.michigan.gov/msp/services/traffic-safety/traffic-laws-faqs#tinted

I’m sure factory stuff is allowed.

Weird that Michigan has this law when they basically don’t give a poo poo about anything else. No inspections, no emissions, basically anything that runs is road worthy. Except full tint front windows.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheBacon posted:

California only allows 85% on the 2 front windows iirc and yeah only a small strip on windshield. Not that it really stops anyone
I thought it was 70% but either way yeah no one gives a poo poo. I've also seen tint places that have some coverage with regards to fix it tickets like removal and discounted replacement if that ever comes up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Nope; it’s the front windows. The windshield also has the same restriction.

Ok then it’s pants-on-head stupid.

In PA technically you can’t have any tint on any side windows unless it’s an SUV or truck, but nobody actually cares or enforces it, and it won’t fail safety inspection unless your tech is an absolute cornhole.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Ok then it’s pants-on-head stupid.

In PA technically you can’t have any tint on any side windows unless it’s an SUV or truck, but nobody actually cares or enforces it, and it won’t fail safety inspection unless your tech is an absolute cornhole.

Tint laws are merely yet another pretext for selective enforcement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I dunno what restrictions there are, but here’s the MSP FAQ https://www.michigan.gov/msp/services/traffic-safety/traffic-laws-faqs#tinted

I’m sure factory stuff is allowed.

Weird that Michigan has this law when they basically don’t give a poo poo about anything else. No inspections, no emissions, basically anything that runs is road worthy. Except full tint front windows.

its to justify pulling over minorities op

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sure; but they don’t need a special tint law to do that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sure; but they don’t need a special tint law to do that.
Sure, but it codifies a legal situation for them to do it. Plus lets them give tickets which, if not taken care of (likely in the case of low income folks), can snowball into much worse stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fix it tickets already existed here. I’m not saying you’re wrong, it will absolutely be used like you said, I’m just saying that even without this law they would already have those tools.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Fix it tickets already existed here. I’m not saying you’re wrong, it will absolutely be used like you said, I’m just saying that even without this law they would already have those tools.

never underestimate Honky’s infinite capacity and desire to make a person of color’s life hell and to machinate different and interlocking ways for the State and people with money to do so

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

But do they have to make cars look stupid in the process? Guh

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sounds like 35% is the way to go, I'll post pics when it's done. I've had the car for over a year and the only mod I've done so far is aftermarket shift paddles. Looking forward to adding a bit more personalization.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just got peace sign in Home Depot parking lot from a blue Focus RS

show yourself

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I looked at used focus rs prices and they seem pretty crazy. I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Oddhair posted:

I do love that you can still special order a manual transmission for your Accord (well, you could last year when I last checked), sadly only on the lowest engine spec of course.

Until like 2018 or so you could still get the coupe with a 6 speed V6 manual.

I have a 6-6 sedan aka a V6 6 speed manual accord (2006, only made them in 06-07). It's effectively a manual Acura tl but with a slightly smaller engine displacement and slightly different trans.

I love mine - did an engine swap to a low mileage oem replacement - but these cars are loving big. Like it doesn't fit in my garage but my 1997 4runner does... It's a pretty long car. The rest of the world has an accord that we got as the acura tsx. They make a different, bigger accord just for north America.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like this, does that mean i suck?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...frp-bolt-on-etc

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yes. please don’t gently caress up your ST like that, Jesus

they are relatively rare here and they are precious and they are innocent, and also they are not being replaced with any newer models here in the states either

hell, just try finding a four door car that’s as small as your ST the next time you go out.

and like not to be all “but Saint Doug said—“ but I do think these have a future and you’ll probably come to regret cutting up and putting a bunch of holes in your bodywork

if you gotta drop four figures on dumb poo poo consider building an exoskeleton/tube frame car or getting into motorcycles

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat it, i thought i was cool.

are white Integrales acceptable?

https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/all-fiesta-parts/products/fifteen52-integrale-wheel-2014-2019-fiesta-st-fitment

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

very much so, but Sparco Terras look pretty similar and are $200 less expensive per wheel on TireRack, if you don’t like those there’s probably something else more like the Integrales without spending Integrale money

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

very much so, but Sparco Terras look pretty similar and are $200 less expensive per wheel on TireRack, if you don’t like those there’s probably something else more like the Integrales without spending Integrale money

I did look at those but the "Sparco" text kind of ruins the look.

The car came with a set of Tarmacs on it but I prefer the look of the Turbomac and Integrale designs. The plan is to use the Tarmacs as winter wheels and grab a new set of wheels for the summer tires. I'll have to keep looking around a bit I guess. Maybe I can sell the Tarmacs and just get some steelies for winter use.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 31, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

drat it, i thought i was cool.

I’m sorry, I just—those kits look terrible, IMO on any car and pretty much invariably give off the same vibes as a $70k project Wrangler with aftermarket frowny headlights and a spare tire holder delete with twin flagpole holder bolt-ons

to me a body kit like that seems to imply “she may be my ex wife now, but she’ll always be my first cousin”

And the Fiesta ST is such a pretty car, too…like compare it to a lot of today’s sporty affordable cars, it’s way better looking from the outside

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I did look at those but the "Sparco" text kind of ruins the look.

The car came with a set of Tarmacs on it but I prefer the look of the Turbomac and Integrale designs. The plan is to use the Tarmacs as winter wheels and grab a new set of wheels for the summer tires. I'll have to keep looking around a bit I guess. Maybe I can sell the Tarmacs and just get some steelies for winter use.

I’m pretty sure those are appliqués and there are forum/Reddit posts explaining which mild hardware store solvent/heat gun setting will make short work of removing them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure those are appliqués and there are forum/Reddit posts explaining which mild hardware store solvent/heat gun setting will make short work of removing them

Oh okay, good to know.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
honestly, itasha wrap or bust

esp on a non-Japanese car how transgressive

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Every time I look at the FiST I find new paint damage. Rock chip here, new scratch there. I wish wish wish they had done more than a single pass in the spray booth down in Mexico.

I guess I’ll just have to wait a few years and get it repainted and ceramic coated, but god drat does it have thin paint. Black means I see every single imperfection too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As a bonus, have a picture of Da Ford with the boys, Spaghetti and Meatball, appreciating it.

In the first 1300 miles, a previous owner put Bilsteins and a Mishimoto coolant monitor port on it, but it’s completely unmodded apart from that. I plan to keep it that way, save an OTS Cobb tune. Like Comboomer mentioned I think these will appreciate in value. Mine is final model year and is still very low mileage (6700 currently) but unfortunately without Recaros. I don’t think a repaint will affect that, considering it will remain undriven in the winter and therefor more rust-free. (The 250k Saturn takes salt responsibilities)

For FiST owners, you guys see ever this on the door stops?

They’re both like that on the rear. Since I’m still under bumper to bumper til October, I’m bringing it in to have em (hopefully) replaced under warranty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

As a bonus, have a picture of Da Ford with the boys, Spaghetti and Meatball, appreciating it.

In the first 1300 miles, a previous owner put Bilsteins and a Mishimoto coolant monitor port on it, but it’s completely unmodded apart from that. I plan to keep it that way, save an OTS Cobb tune. Like Comboomer mentioned I think these will appreciate in value. Mine is final model year and is still very low mileage (6700 currently) but unfortunately without Recaros. I don’t think a repaint will affect that, considering it will remain undriven in the winter and therefor more rust-free. (The 250k Saturn takes salt responsibilities)

For FiST owners, you guys see ever this on the door stops?

They’re both like that on the rear. Since I’m still under bumper to bumper til October, I’m bringing it in to have em (hopefully) replaced under warranty.

the recaros suck and they age like old milk. Once I saw a well-used pair and sat in a few I specifically held out for a car without them and I couldn’t be happier aside from the moments my back pain makes me miss seat heaters

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just wish I had the heated mirrors. I’ve never had heated seats, so I could care less, but the mirrors are of considerable size and fog pretty easily. That should have been standard on the ST from day 1.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I just wish I had the heated mirrors. I’ve never had heated seats, so I could care less, but the mirrors are of considerable size and fog pretty easily. That should have been standard on the ST from day 1.

agreed, but hey—what’s a foggy mirror when your blend door needs replacing and makes clearing all of your glass a hit-or-miss proposition?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The rest of the world has an accord that we got as the acura tsx. They make a different, bigger accord just for north America.

Australasia got both models, the smaller one badged as 'Accord Euro' and the larger one as plain 'Accord'. They were both sold in Japan too but the larger one wasn't called Accord there

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Ended up getting a 22 MK8 GTI about 4 weeks ago - I somehow ended up making money on my Camry because the used market is insane. Paid 26K for the Camry, dealer gave me 31K which just seems absurd but there you go

After moving to a big metro where parking is a problem, I can only have one car so this is my daily/fun/mountain/ski/city car.

My first impressions have been insanely positive. The thing that won me over is the handling - turning all controls off is an absolute riot on canyon roads. The way it turns in is absolutely not what I expected out of a FWD car - you can hoon the poo poo out of it in the corners, flick it around constantly at the limits of the stock tires grip and still be 100% safe and compliant. Feeling the car literally turn in when you hit the throttle is so unbelievably satisfying.

I absolutely do not remember the MK7 having these characteristics, but I only drove it once like 6 years ago now so maybe I just didn't drive it hard enough - I remember it feeling like my WRX in terms of understeer.

I've gotten used to the interior and lack of physical controls - it never was a dealbreaker or anything, but I think I'm in the minority. It's basically...fine? Sometimes annoying, but whatever, I can deal with it.

The plaid seats are the absolute way to go though, much preferred over the leather. The bolsters are near perfect and it's beyond comfortable for just daily commuting.

I am genuinely shocked at how much I like this car - for me, I just viewed it as a compromise until I can get a house with a garage again but between the handling and practicality, I'm officially on board

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Welcome to the club! I'm a big fan of my MK7 too for a lot of the same reasons. I think they're more similar than not really, but I'm glad you're enjoying your MK8.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Congrats on the Mk8, I kind of wanted a Mk8 R at one time, but none were ever in stock and they sold for an insane amount that makes no sense. I just wanted something a bit faster but all cars are super expensive now so I ended up with a bike. I have a Mk7.5 GTI, maybe someday the car market will be normal again and I can get an AWD hatch.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
It's an amazing car, and I finally get the hype - in sport mode, it actually pops and backfires around 3-4K RPM which...childish, yes? but hilarious. It's got juuuuust enough personality to get some laughs on fun roads but it buttons up spectacularly when you want it to.

I got the SE at MSRP, but the dealer also had a MK8 Golf R marked up to 60K, which is just unreal.

Personally, the powerband of the GTI is near perfect for street driving and I have yet to feel like I need *more* power to have fun. The stock tires on it are honestly hot garbage, but I secretly like it just because of how easily it gives up. Just pinning it in 1st gear is enough to squeal the tires which makes the whole thing feel even more like an over-eager hamster or something. I'd love to drive a MK8 Golf R but I fear it might be too fast to really hoon around in.

I did also end up getting a motorbike for the same reason though - the plan is to keep this as the daily and do more motorsport things on bikes as cars are indeed absurdly expensive. An Aprilia RS660 might soon be in my future as the next bike, we'll see

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

agreed, but hey—what’s a foggy mirror when your blend door needs replacing and makes clearing all of your glass a hit-or-miss proposition?

Oof, I feel this comment in my soul. I haven't had an actuator go out since the warranty expired, so I'm probably about due again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a wireless dongle for the android auto in my 7.5 GTI, really wish I'd done this sooner! Got it set up last night and it seems to be working pretty much flawlessly.

https://www.aawireless.io/