Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/GardeningAlice/status/1552675618235600897?t=crpVJ2rRTSk8jJeP3NUpjA&s=19

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

St. Louis was reclaimed by Poseidon and there was scarcely a peep about it outside local news

most americans cant imagine ever going to st louis and dont care

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
my favorite ecological disaster is the fact that California just stood by while one of the biggest lakes in the USA was straight up murdered for agriculture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulare_Lake

also, when you pair this with the century's worth of ground water pumping and subsequent land subsidence in the area, it means that the next time there actually is any kind of flood in this part of the valley houses will be even deeper under water.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Just finished Ministry for the Future, pretty good book apart from the author having a mildly embarrassing blockchain fetish. I love that the only successful solution to climate change turns out to be eco terrorism which makes perfect sense to me.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
A lot of technology futurists think block chain is just thr neatest thing and won't ever shut the gently caress up about it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's just an audit trail, right?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

my favorite ecological disaster is the fact that California just stood by while one of the biggest lakes in the USA was straight up murdered for agriculture.

also, when you pair this with the century's worth of ground water pumping and subsequent land subsidence in the area, it means that the next time there actually is any kind of flood in this part of the valley houses will be even deeper under water.

What do those years at those heights actually represent?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

IAMKOREA posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

smoobles posted:

Just finished Ministry for the Future, pretty good book apart from the author having a mildly embarrassing blockchain fetish. I love that the only successful solution to climate change turns out to be eco terrorism which makes perfect sense to me.

I feel like the block chain fetish just existed to remind you that the only way these tech morons are allowed to keep existing is because some other people did the loving needful.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

it used to be a lake

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it used to be a lake

Oh lol yeah duh

I'd seen them before out of context and for some reason had it in my head it was topsoil loss but it didn't seem quite right

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's crazy that if you search for "Tulare Lake" on Google Maps it brings you to a big lake shaped green spot, but no lake!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

IAMKOREA posted:

Some are for ground level, some indicate water level from back when the lake took up most of the southern part of the valley

Fun fact: California's central valley had one of the largest concentration of people in north America before the Spaniards came bc the lake was extremely bountiful, and even up to world war 2 they were shipping turtles for soup to San Francisco that came from the lake

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Land subsidence, that's the elevation the ground used to be at but the water under the ground got pumped out so the ground sank.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's crazy that if you search for "Tulare Lake" on Google Maps it brings you to a big lake shaped green spot, but no lake!

That's when you check the same spot on Historic Aerials
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The wind scours the land. The flood rises.

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1552701615181893633

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rad-daddio posted:

Well they also made the Salton Sea by accident so it must even out :v:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

wow i guess this hasnt heard that most economic activity takes place indoors

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Shifty Nipples posted:

Land subsidence, that's the elevation the ground used to be at but the water under the ground got pumped out so the ground sank.

iirc, those locations aren't even at the lake itself. It's some other part of the valley that's also turbo hosed.

Even the California aqueduct is buckling and fracturing from sinking due to subsidence.

Not to mention that many smaller and underfunded towns are already seeing their own "day zero" events, where the town literally just doesn't have water due to agriculture groundwater pumping. If you live there, you're just kind of on your own to find water either via your own well or have it delivered for about 400 dollars a month.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
We had a big drop in water pressure for ? reasons and opening multiple taps that were dry was a very poo poo's getting too real moment. I was stressed!! Drinking water is the least of the worry since I can still get it from the shop but showers? Laundry? Brushing your teeth? Dishes?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How deep did they plant that post in 1925

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

The average height of humans. We have been getting shorter over time and nobody is talking about it!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arizona generously offered to take that water but they didn't listen

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

My uncle at Thanksgiving dinner:

smoobles posted:

How deep did they plant that post in 1925
:goonsay:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We had a big drop in water pressure for ? reasons and opening multiple taps that were dry was a very poo poo's getting too real moment. I was stressed!! Drinking water is the least of the worry since I can still get it from the shop but showers? Laundry? Brushing your teeth? Dishes?

bathing, heh. laundry, heh. a goon craves not these things.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

“When a lot of people said ‘That’s the end’ and everyone’s writing it off, I went to everybody I knew and said, ‘Wait a minute, we can’t quit,” said Mr. Hickenlooper, a onetime geologist for an oil and gas company. “We don’t have a satisfactory alternative.”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

how is this tweet six years old

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i wish i could go back in time to the first time i saw that tweet and thought "yeah..." so i can laugh at myself for thinking things were bad back then

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My neighborhood is on a community well. We had a period of about a month with minimal/no water because the previous guy in charge of the water system just kept the maintenance money for himself and didn't actually do anything. They had to dig a new well because there were old pipes or something rusted inside the current well.

We had to do all of our laundry at the laundromat in town but if we waited until the middle of the day when everybody was at work/away to somewhere that had water there would be enough to do a few dishes. We showered at a pay shower at the marina down the road a few times.

Oh yeah eventually they started getting a little water trucked in every few days and they'd provide water pressure with some jerry rigged compressed air deal so we'd get like a day of water with regular pressure but it would come out all cloudy and foamy with lots of spitting and sputtering

The future is gonna be so cool

Dog Case has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Jul 28, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I gotta wear shades

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

what weirds me out about that tweet and a couple others is, they seem ubiquitously known, like everyone makes jokes about them, but they still only have like 26k likes. That is way, way less than I would expect it(and others) to have just based on how many memes I've seen referencing it across many years. :shrug:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Tony Tone posted:

Reading peoples posts about their huge gardens and acres literally outside of their house makes me jealous as gently caress. As an apartment dweller the only thing I can ever hope to grow is cat grass and maybe a bit of nana for tea on a 1 meter x 40 cm window frame that gets maybe 2 hours of sunlight a day.

I can't get milk after 6pm without driving an hour or more and there's a fuckton of other tradeoffs, but, also, I grew tomatoes indoors one time and the cheapness and ubiquity of cannabis growing equipment has made this pretty easy to do.

A 4x4 space is ideal but I know space comes at a premium in an apartment, I think if you can find the fooprint for a 2x3 box you ought to be able to churn out some number of tomatoes and fresh herbs on an ongoing basis using maybe 150w of real power. You won't actually make money back on stuff this way unless you grow particular things, but, cannabis is the only thing I grow personally that's cheaper than grocery store stuff if I factor in the time involved in any way. It is a hobby.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Stereotype posted:

Trump time dilation.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oxxidation posted:

St. Louis was reclaimed by Poseidon and there was scarcely a peep about it outside local news

Could be bad for number if people got chatty about it

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Tony Tone posted:

Reading peoples posts about their huge gardens and acres literally outside of their house makes me jealous as gently caress. As an apartment dweller the only thing I can ever hope to grow is cat grass and maybe a bit of nana for tea on a 1 meter x 40 cm window frame that gets maybe 2 hours of sunlight a day.
start a kibbutz

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Mameluke posted:

Folks if yall hate plastic grass in your communities so much just go put cigarettes out on it until the property owner finds their mass of burned green poo poo more Unsightly than the evil chaos of woman gaia