Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm overseeing the technology portion of a expansion for one of our clients. The foreman of the project has been a total fuckwad from beginning to end and no one likes him. He has thrown tantrum after tantrum and even told my, like, sweetest most innocent lamb tech to jump off a cliff for trying to mount an access point.

Anyways, I was onsite yesterday overseeing the installation of security cameras, printers, and a few digital signage displays and put my purse and computer bag down in the server room, per usual, and proceeded to do my thing.

This is a small closet, probably 8'x8', with a rack dead center of everything so there's about 2 or 3 feet of clearance at any point. Half of it is filled with boxes from desktops we just deployed a few days prior and a few boxes still had laptops, cameras, and APs we hadn't deployed yet. I was bent over getting my laptop out of my bag and turned around to realize I was nearly nose to nose with this chucklefuck.

:clint: Well mornin' there, sweetheart. What have they got you doin today?
:confused: Um... supervising some installations. What's up?
:clint: Well *gestures to everything in the room* looks like you got a bit of a mess in here and we need to get in here to paint.
:confused: We weren't aware this room was being painted. Does [owner] know?
:clint: Doesn't matter what he knows, I gotta get this room painted or my boss is gonna have my rear end.
:confused: Well, we can't really paint in a live network closet. I've got a meeting with my network team today so let me see what they think on the matter and maybe we can get something scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

At this point he has backed me into a corner and despite my being nearly a foot taller than him, he's still backed a woman into a corner and is speaking threateningly to her. Unacceptable.

:clint: Oh no no no no no no. You're gonna clean this up RIGHT. NOW. I got my guy walking in the door and he's gonna have this painted within the hour.
:confused: He absolutely is not. You aren't bringing a drop of paint into this room. I'm going to check with [owner] and you stay right here.

I ducked around him and went to find the owner. I checked with him and informed him his foreman was being an absolute dickhole and about to ruin about $25,000 worth of brand new core stack equipment by painting a room no one will ever see. He just chuckled and shrugged in a "boys will be boys" sort of way and told me to tell the foreman he said not to paint it.

:confused: With all due respect, I'm going to need some managerial interference here. He's not listening to me and we are absolutely not liable for a single cent of that equipment if he breaks it.
:v: Just tell him I said so, it'll be fine.

So I go to tell the guy.

I walk down to the server closet and there he is, standing in a pile of boxes outside of the closet. He has clearly tossed every one of them, including the ones with equipment still in them. I walked in just in time to see him literally throwing my bags and I lost my poo poo.

:mad: What in the absolute gently caress do you think you're doing??
:clint: What's it look like? I gotta get this painted.
:mad: The owner just reinforced that this is not to be painted. You are NOT to touch any of our equipment or boxes. You absolutely are not allowed to touch my personal property. Get the gently caress out of this room and leave. Now.
:clint: Now don't get your panties all twisted. I got a job to do.
:mad: You haven't done your job at any point in the last 3 months. You've sat on your fat rear end watching television and making bad decisions the whole time. Do NOT come anywhere near this closet or me again. Do NOT interact with any of my employees. Do NOT touch a single piece of technology in this building. If I find one scratch on any of this equipment, we're suing you for everything you're worth. Leave.

At this point I realized I had backed him into the corner. I was screaming so loud my neck was cramping. I was looking down at him and all the fight was gone from his eyes.

He huffed and retreated to the room he spends all his time watching television in. He spent all day angrily informing anyone who would listen that "you better check with HER before you do anything. She's running the show around here" and didn't do a lick of actual work the whole day, despite them being nearly two weeks behind schedule.

At the end of the day, he sheepishly returned and apologized for his behavior.

:clint: I'm sorry if I was brusque earlier. I'm behind schedule and my stress level is high.
:j: We all are. That's no excuse to act the way you do. Have a great day.

I left.

It probably wasn't my finest moment but he was a twat. The rest of my team was excited someone finally put him in his place, though, so :shrug:

Anyways, that's the only time I've ever gotten mad enough to yell. How's your week going?

*edit* woof, this is a hell of way to start a page :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I had to yell at 2 people yesterday because they thought it would be a good idea to drop me in cold to 2 different projects without giving me any kind of heads up or KT or anything. This is in addition to the 3 other projects I'm currently running solo.

I drank a lot but no yelling at anyone other than my boss. Just signed off at 4 to cool my head.

This weeks sucks balls.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 28, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm overseeing the technology portion of a expansion for one of our clients. The foreman of the project has been a total fuckwad from beginning to end and no one likes him. He has thrown tantrum after tantrum and even told my, like, sweetest most innocent lamb tech to jump off a cliff for trying to mount an access point.

Anyways, I was onsite yesterday overseeing the installation of security cameras, printers, and a few digital signage displays and put my purse and computer bag down in the server room, per usual, and proceeded to do my thing.

This is a small closet, probably 8'x8', with a rack dead center of everything so there's about 2 or 3 feet of clearance at any point. Half of it is filled with boxes from desktops we just deployed a few days prior and a few boxes still had laptops, cameras, and APs we hadn't deployed yet. I was bent over getting my laptop out of my bag and turned around to realize I was nearly nose to nose with this chucklefuck.

:clint: Well *gestures to everything in the room* looks like you got a bit of a mess in here and we need to get in here to paint.
:clint: Doesn't matter what he knows, I gotta get this room painted or my boss is gonna have my rear end.
:confused: Well, we can't really paint in a live network closet. I've got a meeting with my network team today so let me see what they think on the matter and maybe we can get something scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

At this point he has backed me into a corner and despite my being nearly a foot taller than him, he's still backed a woman into a corner and is speaking threateningly to her. Unacceptable.

:clint: Oh no no no no no no. You're gonna clean this up RIGHT. NOW. I got my guy walking in the door and he's gonna have this painted within the hour.
:confused: He absolutely is not. You aren't bringing a drop of paint into this room. I'm going to check with [owner] and you stay right here.

I ducked around him and went to find the owner. I checked with him and informed him his foreman was being an absolute dickhole and about to ruin about $25,000 worth of brand new core stack equipment by painting a room no one will ever see. He just chuckled and shrugged in a "boys will be boys" sort of way and told me to tell the foreman he said not to paint it.

:confused: With all due respect, I'm going to need some managerial interference here. He's not listening to me and we are absolutely not liable for a single cent of that equipment if he breaks it.

So I go to tell the guy.

I walk down to the server closet and there he is, standing in a pile of boxes outside of the closet. He has clearly tossed every one of them, including the ones with equipment still in them. I walked in just in time to see him literally throwing my bags and I lost my poo poo.

:mad: The owner just reinforced that this is not to be painted. You are NOT to touch any of our equipment or boxes. You absolutely are not allowed to touch my personal property. Get the gently caress out of this room and leave. Now.
:mad: You haven't done your job at any point in the last 3 months. You've sat on your fat rear end watching television and making bad decisions the whole time. Do NOT come anywhere near this closet or me again. Do NOT interact with any of my employees. Do NOT touch a single piece of technology in this building. If I find one scratch on any of this equipment, we're suing you for everything you're worth. Leave.

At this point I realized I had backed him into the corner. I was screaming so loud my neck was cramping. I was looking down at him and all the fight was gone from his eyes.

He huffed and retreated to the room he spends all his time watching television in. He spent all day angrily informing anyone who would listen that "you better check with HER before you do anything. She's running the show around here" and didn't do a lick of actual work the whole day, despite them being nearly two weeks behind schedule.

:clint: I'm sorry if I was brusque earlier. I'm behind schedule and my stress level is high.

I left.

It probably wasn't my finest moment but he was a twat. The rest of my team was excited someone finally put him in his place, though, so :shrug:

Anyways, that's the only time I've ever gotten mad enough to yell. How's your week going?

You ruining the dumb jerkoff made my day and I think your behavior was fine.

edit: I'm impressed he had the balls to apologize.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

So I go to tell the guy.

I left.

Wasn't your finest moment? Girl, you went momma bear - there's no finer moment.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larches painting the server room with the blood of the foreman, we love to see it

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: I'm impressed he had the balls to apologize.

He only came by to ask if I'd seen his coffee cup.

I saw him walk into the restroom with it and he didn't have it when he walked out.

What an absolute dump of a person

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Oh I was only a dickhead to people around me because of stress"

gently caress off :jerkbag:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:( I'm sorry I was a dick to you, it's all because of stress and it's not my fault it's only because everybody keeps DUMPING poo poo ON ME AND gently caress YOU AARGH :argh:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

"Oh I was only a dickhead to people around me because of stress"

gently caress off :jerkbag:

I've had those days where I'm stressed out and trying not to be a shithead but fail. The apology there is "I'm sorry I acted that way; I'm stressed and not handling it well."

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm on vacation in Canada since yesterday, until next Wednesday. My team is well aware of it. But I decided to take a peek at how things were going and found two of them (one of them my manager) had each assigned a ticket to me, one of them being a termination this Friday. I removed myself to put them back in the Unassigned queue, and left them a note in our Teams channel (including my manager's boss, our director), to not assign me any tickets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dude, don't look in on the queue, and if they assign poo poo to you then it doesn't get done until you get back. Any problems are the fault of whoever assigned it knowing you were out. The CYOA is already filed and registered with HR, not a drat thing they can do about it.

larchesdanrew posted:

It probably wasn't my finest moment
I respectfully disagree.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Some men only respond to violence :911:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Potato Salad posted:

Some men only respond to violence :911:

And probably an administrator that said "you hosed up and you need to go apologize to her if you plan on keeping your job"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlexDeGruven posted:

And probably an administrator that said "you hosed up and you need to go apologize to her if you plan on keeping your job"

That was my read too. Either that or saving face/ego.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's unfortunate, but people like that typically don't come back and apologize on their own like they should.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

to that kind of person apologizing costs face/ego

they will never apologize, because that would involve admitting they were wrong, and being wrong makes you lesser

Just like the kind of person who throws themselves on every bomb because they somehow think that owning everything, even things thats not their fault, makes them the bigger person.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
uh

In a routine support case with a vendor we work with daily, they just casually mentioned an error that occurs on their "BUD-LITE-2" firmware image.

Like...that can't be real...right? I refuse to accept it. Unfortunately this case is also management's FOTM so I don't think it's wise to go clowning around, and ask if we need to upgrade to PBR-1 or something.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

One of our clients is a brewery and ALL of their servers and networks and computers follow a beer naming convention. Like the domain is BEER\ and the server is named PILSNER.

It's confusing af and we bring up changing the names at every QBR and they scoff at it because it's tradition.

I've got them coming up for a re-onboarding in a few months and forcing their hand on this is going to feel so good :allears:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cattle not beers.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
At $job-3, the stars aligned on a boring naming convention and I built a server named SLTYWH0R :shrug:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's not really a server if it doesn't have a Tolkien name.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Tolkien Ring networks haven't been mainstream for decades

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've had customers who make cutesy names for things, but like, calling the accounting software "poplar" lets you name things poplar-prod-mssql01 etc

it can work if people aren't complete munchkins about it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
To be clear I don't think BUD-LITE is a joke name. I know these guys, the company is too big and the product too complicated. I'm legitimately curious about their naming convention and how it got there though.

We're the same. The company is too big to not adhere to strict compliance of our naming scheme. Boring yes but man it makes my job so much easier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a very strict naming scheme that encodes the datacenter, location, owner, and role.

And a very long excel spreadsheet that you can use to decode it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

We had a device naming convention that started with the acronym for the department that owned the device. This allowed us to quickly determine which support group was responsible for it just from the name. Worked great and saved a lot of time.

As of last month the official policy is that all device names are to be (e.g.) "N-[serial]" and to figure out who the gently caress owns the thing we have to rely on our 100% manual input 0% automated inventory system. We've got, like, 9k end user devices. This also broke several scripts that were dependent on device name to allocate devices into groups for certain load balancing tasks and permissions management. I only learned about the naming change once those scripts started breaking, because nobody actually announced this change until a month after it was made official. Why yes I'm still incredibly mad about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh cool well assign all tickets that come up to the person who agreed on the change

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love watching engineers talk about naming schemes. I love participating in those conversations. It's like the one unsolvable problem of our time. Want to know if your engineering team is meshing? Throw them in a room, lock the door, and tell them to figure out a naming scheme. If anyone is still alive at the end of it, you've put together a good team.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We made an update to our naming scheme to allow for some changes in how we were connecting environments in azure.

It took a month and multiple meetings with 3 different teams to make sure that everything that relied on the naming scheme would support the change when it happened.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It was a two character change.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Internet Explorer posted:

I love watching engineers talk about naming schemes. I love participating in those conversations. It's like the one unsolvable problem of our time. Want to know if your engineering team is meshing? Throw them in a room, lock the door, and tell them to figure out a naming scheme. If anyone is still alive at the end of it, you've put together a good team.

I argue with myself on what to name things when hacking on personal scripts. I don't want to be anywhere near group discussion on naming schemes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don't get me wrong, as fun as it is to complain about the bureaucracy, having an easily decodable naming scheme solves a bunch if problems

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh cool well assign all tickets that come up to the person who agreed on the change

I've bitched to multiple people involved with this change and got nowhere. Our inventory system sucks so it's only a matter of time until this utterly crashes and burns.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sirotan posted:

We had a device naming convention that started with the acronym for the department that owned the device. This allowed us to quickly determine which support group was responsible for it just from the name. Worked great and saved a lot of time.

As of last month the official policy is that all device names are to be (e.g.) "N-[serial]" and to figure out who the gently caress owns the thing we have to rely on our 100% manual input 0% automated inventory system. We've got, like, 9k end user devices. This also broke several scripts that were dependent on device name to allocate devices into groups for certain load balancing tasks and permissions management. I only learned about the naming change once those scripts started breaking, because nobody actually announced this change until a month after it was made official. Why yes I'm still incredibly mad about it.

What the poo poo

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I did a DFIR consult at a place that named everything using a series of code designations based on an entirely offline spreadsheet. The alphanumeric codes were chosen not to be random but to actively mislead about the purpose of systems for security purposes. For instance PDC1-PGR-HQL3-BOFA-FU42069 would not be a production domain controller but an apache server in test.

I guess it worked because the hackers never got to any of the good poo poo.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Soylent Pudding posted:

I did a DFIR consult at a place that named everything using a series of code designations based on an entirely offline spreadsheet. The alphanumeric codes were chosen not to be random but to actively mislead about the purpose of systems for security purposes. For instance PDC1-PGR-HQL3-BOFA-FU42069 would not be a production domain controller but an apache server in test.

I guess it worked because the hackers never got to any of the good poo poo.

Wow that's pretty neat! Just making things really obscure - huh, I didn't know that was a good security measure. Needs a catchy description though - maybe secureness through obscureness? Hmm - let me think about it, I'll figure something out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Since you just query the domain root and it tells you what the DCs are that seems kind of pointless

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

To be clear everyone except the security team knew it was really stupid. The security team probably knew that too, but liked their jobs too much to tell the CISO that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Renegret posted:

What the poo poo

It's ok, there's an asset management working group now who recognizes our tool is utter dogshit, who are doing things like combining two existing record fields into one, and changing the "Name" field to "Title".

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Soylent Pudding posted:

To be clear everyone except the security team knew it was really stupid. The security team probably knew that too, but liked their jobs too much to tell the CISO that.
Anyone who knows what TCP 389 open on a port scan means knows it's really stupid.