Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The stable is:
flatbar converted mtb to rigid
mid drive e-bike
stuntman
Long wheelbase recumbent
Front wheel drive recumbent

So I'm either due a unicycle or trike.

I'd wear it.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Coredump posted:

I N-1 today. Does that mean I get a sixer?

We shall overcome because the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards n+1

Need a longer seatpost and longer stem, but it’s rideable in the meantime

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What size tires/wheels are those?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What size tires/wheels are those?

24" x 2.6"

Kind of a strange size. Not looking forward to finding replacements.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Coredump posted:

I'd wear it.
Stop trying to subliminally make me think Iowa is awesome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coredump posted:

The stable is:
mid drive e-bike
stuntman
Long wheelbase recumbent

I'd wear it.

BMX
Cruiser
Dutch
Bicycle built for Two
Speed bike

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Buying a bike in the covid world has been a real struggle particularly in Canada. All the lbs within ten hours of me have nothing but xxls and 5000 dollar (admittedly pretty sweet) rides.

I'm really tempted to buy a Poseidon X and deal with the extra fees but it seems like a poor deal at that price point when the canyon grail seems to have much better components at not a huge price increase (admittedly I'm a newb). Past few months I've put probably 1000km on this lovely Kona lanai I bought off some guy for 75 dollars but I rented a gravel bike with 36mm tires and drops and I'm fiending out to make something like that my primary ride.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I’m not sure how much this is in BeaverBucks but I like this for the price:

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/4130-steel-bikes/products/4130-all-road-copper-brown-650b-700c

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flashman posted:

Buying a bike in the covid world has been a real struggle particularly in Canada. All the lbs within ten hours of me have nothing but xxls and 5000 dollar (admittedly pretty sweet) rides.

I'm really tempted to buy a Poseidon X and deal with the extra fees but it seems like a poor deal at that price point when the canyon grail seems to have much better components at not a huge price increase (admittedly I'm a newb). Past few months I've put probably 1000km on this lovely Kona lanai I bought off some guy for 75 dollars but I rented a gravel bike with 36mm tires and drops and I'm fiending out to make something like that my primary ride.

could it be a singlespeed?

I mean, I could probably find you something decent with gears too

edit: or get a grail. It a good bike. GT appears to be making Grades again too…

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I really enjoy this option as well, the steel frame is a big plus. It falls awry of our dumb bicycle import fees as well though.. Looking at an additional ~500 usd it seems to get it shipped here inclusive of duties shipping and taxes, not sure if that changes your calculus a bit.

Unfortunately while digging I've discovered canyon falls under the same umbrella so they're out - can't afford 30 percent plus shipping on a 2000 dollar bike for sure. Going to have to really weigh whether I want to wait for an lbs to get a topstone 3 or a gestalt or something in my size or just bite the bullet and pay the duties.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We did our first ride today with the Brooks B17 on my wife's bike and she said it was way better than the last saddle (Scoop Line Elite Shallow). Gonna take some adjusting the seatpost and stem because the saddle is such a radically different shape from what was on there before but as long as it doesn't cause her any pressure pains we should be good to go.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

could it be a singlespeed?

I mean, I could probably find you something decent with gears too

edit: or get a grail. It a good bike. GT appears to be making Grades again too…

I think single speed would kill me with the hills we have and the amount of granny I still have to use at the end of a 50km ride.

Grail was looking good but my size is not there until November-February and a bit of digging has shown the drat import duties apply there as well ( I was tricked somewhat by the Canadian pricing on the website tbh). Probably prices me out of something already ~2000 to start with.

Ive even been looking at Kijiji in some of the bigger centers where I have friends across the country to no avail. I was floored when I walked into the lbs after my rental ride willing to splurge and they basically just told me no dice lol but I guess that's the state of things

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

24" x 2.6"

Kind of a strange size. Not looking forward to finding replacements.

Maxxis Hookworms.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

flashman posted:

I really enjoy this option as well, the steel frame is a big plus. It falls awry of our dumb bicycle import fees as well though.. Looking at an additional ~500 usd it seems to get it shipped here inclusive of duties shipping and taxes, not sure if that changes your calculus a bit.

Unfortunately while digging I've discovered canyon falls under the same umbrella so they're out - can't afford 30 percent plus shipping on a 2000 dollar bike for sure. Going to have to really weigh whether I want to wait for an lbs to get a topstone 3 or a gestalt or something in my size or just bite the bullet and pay the duties.

I have one of these! The steel frame is good but heavy. I'm pretty sure it's straight gauge tubing with no butting simply because they don't call it out as such anywhere. Also the cassette is junk and will be ghost-shifting within 100 miles. Everything else is pretty decent and it's a really good platform for customizing if you're just after a fun to cruise around and explore bike that's super stable and comfortable. Less great if you're looking to go fast.
Also the sizing is a little weird. They measure center to top of the actual seat tube, so my medium is labeled as a 51cm but fits more like a 54 or 55. You have to pay attention to the tt and reach measurements and mostly ignore the given measurement.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CopperHound posted:

Stop trying to subliminally make me think Iowa is awesome.

That's my bad.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dog Case posted:

I have one of these! The steel frame is good but heavy. I'm pretty sure it's straight gauge tubing with no butting simply because they don't call it out as such anywhere. Also the cassette is junk and will be ghost-shifting within 100 miles. Everything else is pretty decent and it's a really good platform for customizing if you're just after a fun to cruise around and explore bike that's super stable and comfortable. Less great if you're looking to go fast.
Also the sizing is a little weird. They measure center to top of the actual seat tube, so my medium is labeled as a 51cm but fits more like a 54 or 55. You have to pay attention to the tt and reach measurements and mostly ignore the given measurement.

Awesome stuff to hear! With the canyons being firmly out of my price range this is the straight to consumer that has me most interested now. I'll never be a racer or doing group rides just looking to punch out a few metric centuries and improve my fitness.

Got a call from the bike shop that they've received a few Marin bikes as well, the gestalt x10 would run me similar to ordering from state (with the advantage of me pedaling away if it fits) so fingers crossed it feels nice / is the right sizing. If not I'm going to get them to help me size a state and pull the trigger.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Did you get their self branded derailleur and shifters too? What are those like?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

Did you get their self branded derailleur and shifters too? What are those like?

Yeah, they're rebranded Sensah SRX and they're fine. The levers feel a little plastic-y when you're just looking at them, but shift nicely and feel just fine when you're actually using them. The derailleur has adjustable spring tension rather than an actual clutch but it works fine. I've rattled down a bunch of gravel roads and bounced around on a little bit of rooty single track and haven't dropped the chain or heard it smacking the chain stay or anything.

The cassette wasn't the Sensah one though. They used a Sunshine brand 11-42 and it was pretty bad. Pretty much immediately there would be a little jump up or down every once in a while which at first i thought was just cables stretching in but it just gradually got worse. It would also drop down a cog and jam up if you back pedaled in the two largest.
I replaced it with a SunRace 11-46 and the random shifting and backpedaling problems immediately went away and it's been perfect since.

Apr 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

My Brooks B-17 was immediately more comfortable in that it doesn't cause any numbness for me, but initially more uncomfortable because they're rock hard until they start to break in.

One thing a lot of people seem to miss is that Brooks specifically says that the B17 is meant for bikes where you've got a relatively upright 60° body angle. For a road bike you want the narrow version or a Swift or Swallow.

Ordered a swift today. Hope it doesn't suck!

Apr 7, 2003

What’s the brooks cambium equivalent to the swift? My wife likes it but doesn’t want a leather saddle.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The cambium model naming is a bit weird, but C15 is the narrowest I believe. The C13 has carbon rails.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
now that i'm used to it, i really like my specialized power mirror, despite the insane pricetag. the only nag i have about it is that the material has a small bit of nonslip which can be kinda good (keeps my butt where it should be) but also weird because instead of sliding back to adjust position i have to lift my butt up and move it back.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm largely happy with ergon saddles, but they're pretty firmly in the flatter end of things with a decent cutout. I do agree with BraveUlysses about nonslip though (It's on the fancier ergon road saddles) I wish I could just scootch back into my spot after having to stop and step down instead of getting started pedaling and then having to lift my rear end up and make the daintiest little settling contact with the saddle to find the right spot without the it pulling at the bibs and causing friction. They're great saddles when you're in the pocket (and lower end saddles don't have the grippy) but I don't think you should need a sticky saddle to stay in place if your fit is right, and having it there makes it a pain.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Bought a bike in January 2021 for $3500 and just passed the $1 per mile threshold.

Apr 7, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

The cambium model naming is a bit weird, but C15 is the narrowest I believe. The C13 has carbon rails.

She ordered a C15 and mocked me for not taking advantage of the 15% first time discount

I'll probably just let her buy our bike poo poo from here on out.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

I was pretty sure that C13, C15, C17 refers to the saddles' approximate widths in cm but the Brooks website is not providing that info

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I was pretty sure that C13, C15, C17 refers to the saddles' approximate widths in cm but the Brooks website is not providing that info

The widths are on a graphic further down below the other info and yeah, the numbers don't correspond to anything logical

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

now that i'm used to it, i really like my specialized power mirror, despite the insane pricetag. the only nag i have about it is that the material has a small bit of nonslip which can be kinda good (keeps my butt where it should be) but also weird because instead of sliding back to adjust position i have to lift my butt up and move it back.

Try spraying a little Pedro’s Bike Lust on a paper towel and giving it a wipe on the nonslip part

In related news I got a good deal on a gallon of Pedro’s Bike Lust and now I’ll probably be set for life. It’s probably placebo but a clean bike with bike lust just feels faster

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My bike's natural state is Covered in Sealant and i'm not going to mess with nature

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Dog Case posted:

Yeah, they're rebranded Sensah SRX and they're fine. The levers feel a little plastic-y when you're just looking at them, but shift nicely and feel just fine when you're actually using them. The derailleur has adjustable spring tension rather than an actual clutch but it works fine. I've rattled down a bunch of gravel roads and bounced around on a little bit of rooty single track and haven't dropped the chain or heard it smacking the chain stay or anything.

The cassette wasn't the Sensah one though. They used a Sunshine brand 11-42 and it was pretty bad. Pretty much immediately there would be a little jump up or down every once in a while which at first i thought was just cables stretching in but it just gradually got worse. It would also drop down a cog and jam up if you back pedaled in the two largest.
I replaced it with a SunRace 11-46 and the random shifting and backpedaling problems immediately went away and it's been perfect since.

Interesting. I've never heard of Sensah. Where would you say it compares in the Shimano/Sram lineup?

With 105 going Di2, looks like people wanting midrange bikes will have to look elsewhere.

Apr 7, 2003

105 is going Di2 only? No more mechanical version?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/06/shimano-105-di2-12-speed-groupset-weights-prices-features/

Well, going ahead, the new 12 speed 105 7100 will be Di2 only, but apparently they will still offer the 11 speed 7000.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 28, 2022

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The trajectory seems to be that Di2 will be midrange before too long, but the price still needs to come down more even at the 105 level.

I don't know how I feel about this direction.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

The trajectory seems to be that Di2 will be midrange before too long, but the price still needs to come down more even at the 105 level.

I don't know how I feel about this direction.

I get that, and I'm fine with Di2, but it's the 300% price point increase that sucks. All of their marketing talks about offering Di2 to cyclists who only had access to mechanical shifting before.

Will Tiagra's next version be 12 speed? Will it be comparable in performance and weight to 105? The do all the group sets below shift up a notch? Otherwise you're leaving gaps.

Sorry, I know this is a 3 week old discussion brought up again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

Interesting. I've never heard of Sensah. Where would you say it compares in the Shimano/Sram lineup?

With 105 going Di2, looks like people wanting midrange bikes will have to look elsewhere.

Based on my experience with a Sensah SRX Pro groupset I’d peg it around SRAM Apex / Shimano Sora quality level although 11 speed vs. 10 and 9.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Are there any good intro to road biking guides? I've been doing it for about a year and a half, but mostly ride solo based on what feels right. I have no idea if there is anything I should be doing to improve my riding and I worry I'm developing bad habits. Even such simple things as when to stand when climbing, how to shift efficiently, mapping rides. I usually only do like 10-20 mile rides, with the occasional longer one.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

PolishPandaBear posted:

Will Tiagra's next version be 12 speed? Will it be comparable in performance and weight to 105? The do all the group sets below shift up a notch? Otherwise you're leaving gaps.

Tiagra is already 11 speed with 10 clicks (or 9 but nvm) in the shifter so I'd guess the plan has been to upgrade it next to 11 speed at probably a pretty low cost. The rear deraillers with eg. Tiagra and 11 speed 105 are interchangeable though unofficially.

This leaves 10 speed road currently at a weird spot since any 10 speed rd before Tiagra is not compatible with it but they still make 10 speed 105 RDs. Is possible 10 speed Sora gonna skip to actually 11 speed same as Tiagra? Why not move the whole range there eventually? The difference is a few millimeters of cable pull so it's probably trivial to manufacture both.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Coredump posted:

The stable is:
mid drive e-bike
stuntman
Long wheelbase recumbent

I'd wear it.

Velomobile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09237hc8lE

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yes, the people's groupset is now more expensive than Campagnolo Record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hutzpah posted:

Are there any good intro to road biking guides? I've been doing it for about a year and a half, but mostly ride solo based on what feels right. I have no idea if there is anything I should be doing to improve my riding and I worry I'm developing bad habits. Even such simple things as when to stand when climbing, how to shift efficiently, mapping rides. I usually only do like 10-20 mile rides, with the occasional longer one.

I haven't subscribed to Bicycling magazine in years, but I actually picked up most of what I know about form from reading short articles and stuff in there for the 3-4 years that I got it. Not that I'm an especially skilled rider or anything, but it's how I found what helped and worked well for me. And a bit of coaching and riding with one or two better riders at a time was a big help. The combination of listicles and occasional shorter articles about how to improve a skill kind of added up. So as dated as something like this probably seems: https://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Magazines-Complete-Cycling-Skills/dp/0875964869, I'd bet a bunch of the stuff about form and body mechanics hasn't changed. There's always a bunch of gadgets and poo poo to tell you if you're doing it the right way, but listening to your body goes a long ways too. Knees, back, arms, hips feel pretty good? Can you ride a bike a decent distance at the drop of a hat or several days in a row without issue? Is it fun? You're probably doing most of it right.

Focusing on some basic stuff that improves efficiency is always worth pursuing though. Smooth pedal rotations rather than alternating pushes, spinning comfortably at an rpm that doesn't make you bounce but doesn't hurt, etc. I'd probably watch some Global Cycling Network videos on form, they seem pretty decent a source.