Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

This is what I hate the most. As much of an rear end in a top hat as he's been in obstructing the Biden agenda, Manchin very clearly walks around Congress wearing a beer hat with a giant blinking "For Sale" sign on it, to the point where I almost blame Biden more simply for not being more adept at figuring out ways to pay Manchin off.

Sinema, on the other hand, is an actual Chaos Agent.

Nope, it’s still being a stooge for capital. Look at her donations, and look into the future and ask what do-nothing jobs those industries could give her.

Our enemies are entirely apparent and operate shamelessly in front of us, and they all are servants of a death-desiring algorithm known as Capitalism, fka Moloch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Bourgeois economics does not try to explain trends in order to guide decision making, it works backwards from the decisions it wants to make in order to justify them.

For example, there's been a lot of rumbling by the talking heads that wages growth is driving inflation, and therefore wages need to be dropped in order to cut inflation. Meanwhile, anyone with access to the internet can look up that wages have actually sunk when compared to inflation. Wages have risen <5%, and CPI is drat near 10. More than that, cutting wages is effectively identical to inflation. Whether prices increase (inflation) or you have a less money to spend (wage cuts), the end result is people consuming less*. So why all this talk by the economists about the "need" to cut wages to halt inflation?

If you start from the premise that these outlets are trying to explain the economy, nothing makes sense. Nobody with a brain and a computer could ever come to this conclusion, certainly not anyone whose job it is to study such things. Instead, you should view the end goal as "cutting wages to increase profits" and suddenly all this obviously wrong bullshit they keep trumpeting on corporate media falls into place as a way to manufacture consent for wage cuts.

So look at any unemployment miscalculation not as a mysterious mistake (which may be partially true), but instead ask "what is the end goal they are justifying?"

*Or, the short term solution, debt.

I was in a meeting just the day with the highest execs in my company, and one asked why we couldn't raise prices higher to match inflation, and the response was that would hurt sales because people aren't making more money.

Immediately followed with a comment to how incredibly profitable we are.

Everyone knows whats up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

This is what I hate the most. As much of an rear end in a top hat as he's been in obstructing the Biden agenda, Manchin very clearly walks around Congress wearing a beer hat with a giant blinking "For Sale" sign on it, to the point where I almost blame Biden more simply for not being more adept at figuring out ways to pay Manchin off.

Sinema, on the other hand, is an actual Chaos Agent.

She is a veritable mad bomber, chuckling vacantly as she clicks the various detonator switches on her suicide vest, wondering in anticipation equal to her victims' fear if this one is gonna be the one that makes her go boom or not. click. click. click.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

selec posted:

Nope, it’s still being a stooge for capital. Look at her donations, and look into the future and ask what do-nothing jobs those industries could give her.

Our enemies are entirely apparent and operate shamelessly in front of us, and they all are servants of a death-desiring algorithm known as Capitalism, fka Moloch.

Yeah, it's basically this 90% of the time.

Sinema does have some moments that are genuinely baffling and not in service of herself or her donors, but the vast majority of the time she is just balancing how much she can get away with doing and how much she can support her donors.

There have been multiple investigative pieces about Sinema's "heel turn" and how she has a fundraising network that is outside of the party and traditional Democratic interest groups and feels empowered by that. She also apparently thinks it is legitimately good politics to be branded "a maverick" who is upsetting their party like John McCain.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So once she's voted out of office, what are people thinking Sinema's post-senator career will be? Token "liberal" on various Fox News shows agreeing with everything the host says, or just going straight to OANN and going full avatar of chaos?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jaxyon posted:

I was in a meeting just the day with the highest execs in my company, and one asked why we couldn't raise prices higher to match inflation, and the response was that would hurt sales because people aren't making more money.

Immediately followed with a comment to how incredibly profitable we are.

Everyone knows whats up.

Any C-suite exec who doesn't understand that they're already charging the amount of money that puts the most dollars in their pocket deserves to be fired

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Randalor posted:

So once she's voted out of office, what are people thinking Sinema's post-senator career will be? Token "liberal" on various Fox News shows agreeing with everything the host says, or just going straight to OANN and going full avatar of chaos?

Sinema legitimately thinks she is going to be the first woman President according to several of her former staff. They said she thinks that the fact that she won all her political races despite doing the "wrong" thing (former Green party member, being openly bisexual, becoming a hard "moderate," etc.) is proof that her brand works. She has a donor network outside of the party/traditional special interest groups and an "independent brand" that emphasizes "ignoring partisan politics in favor of getting things done" that voters want.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Her job of sowing distrust in bourgeois structures of governance by revealing their profoundly anti-democratic nature and structural inability to respond to crises in time to prevent harm now complete, she will return to her roots of left-wing accelerationist activism

She'll be on a bunch of boards where she will trade access to her rolodex for insider information and a large salary when she's not giving speeches at country clubs and economic institutes. She used to think she'd be president but she used to believe a lot of things if you go by what she tells people

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Devor posted:

Any C-suite exec who doesn't understand that they're already charging the amount of money that puts the most dollars in their pocket deserves to be fired

He a founder.

But there are also a lot of real dumb c-suite execs.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1552734282325557248

The outcome was expected. That leadership couldn't enforce the whip after the appalling and undecorus acts by the Senate Dems, on the other hand...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I said yesterday that it looks like the IRA would get the U.S. about 70% of the way to compliance with the U.N. plan and Biden's camapaign promise.

But, it turns out I was slightly off and it's actually a much niiiice-r number.

https://twitter.com/robinsonmeyer/status/1552668768203145219

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I said yesterday that it looks like the IRA would get the U.S. about 70% of the way to compliance with the U.N. plan and Biden's camapaign promise.

Nice

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Sinema legitimately thinks she is going to be the first woman President according to several of her former staff. They said she thinks that the fact that she won all her political races despite doing the "wrong" thing (former Green party member, being openly bisexual, becoming a hard "moderate," etc.) is proof that her brand works. She has a donor network outside of the party/traditional special interest groups and an "independent brand" that emphasizes "ignoring partisan politics in favor of getting things done" that voters want.
Good Lord, she really is the Dem Louie Gohmert. I can't remember it, but I could swear there's a term for this, something along the same lines as the banality of evil, about how big world altering events often sardonically hinge on small, idiotic and arbitrary decisions.

Also can candidates really succeed with an entirely corporate donor network? You still need people to actually vote for you, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to this point, like she may have money, but she has literally no voting base.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

-Blackadder- posted:

Good Lord. I can't remember it, but I could swear there's a term for this, something along the same lines as the banality of evil, about how big world altering events often sardonically hinge on small, idiotic and arbitrary decisions.

Also can candidates really succeed with an entirely corporate donor network? You still need people to actually vote for you, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to this point, like she may have money, but she has literally no voting base.

She thinks voters will reward her maverick-y and independent behavior. According to her former staff, she thinks she can win a presidential primary with a large minority of Democrats and an overwhelming margin among independents.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Susan Collins says she will be "forced" to oppose gay marriage if Democrats pass the reconciliation bill next week.

https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/1552740956738359296

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

As well as good news, that is a NICE.NICE number.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Susan Collins says she will be "forced" to oppose gay marriage if Democrats pass the reconciliation bill next week.

I didn't trust her to actually vote for it any way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the absolute dumbest poo poo considering they aren’t voting for the IRA anyway

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
She's also just covering for her inability to ever whip up enough support.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh no. Susan Collins is enabling the removal of rights from more people. What a sudden surprise. If only we had some warning that she might do this like voting for judges that lie under oath.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
R's blocked the PACT Act for veterans as well. Kennedy was on Fox talking about how the Dems made them all look like suckers. They're feeling humiliated by the Schumer/Manchin gambit and hitting back on other legislation.https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1552416287887867906
https://twitter.com/thejcoop/status/1552640775585947648?s=20&t=xpNj2N9IArctYdKs-59ZhA
https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1552439638585135104

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 28, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"We love our troops! What, help ones that got sick? Hell no". How many of the senators that voted no are up for re-election in a few months? I thought now would be the time they would be caring about optics.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

GOP voters oppose helping people less fortunate than them and support petty revenge so theres really no downside

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

-Blackadder- posted:

R's blocked the PACT Act for veterans as well. Kennedy was on Fox talking about how the Dems made them all look like suckers. They're feeling humiliated by the Schumer/Manchin gambit and hitting back on other legislation.

"LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE US DO THE TROOPS!"

They weren't going to vote for it anyway

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

What a bunch of babies

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
What are they going to do, obstruct harder?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

What a bunch of babies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
One of the big talking points is too many jobs not enough workers, but this article was posted elsewhere. Unfortunately my usual tricks of getting past paywalls or log in is not working so I have not read. Maybe someone here will have better luck or has access?
https://twitter.com/pdacosta/status/1552685372991324162?t=F-xM41_yDMgV0h4Evs3SIQ&s=19

Edit: I guess the article text is in the html of the webpage

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 29, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

That Wu Tang sweater. This really is the perfect image for the GOP.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

On second thought this is more like some abusive spouse bullshit where you paid bills and bought clothing for the kids without their knowledge so they torch your credit card

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dubar posted:

GOP voters oppose helping people less fortunate than them and support petty revenge so theres really no downside

How many veterans are also R voters? You may be able to discourage them from voting by saying "Hey, you know how you can't afford your cancer treatment? This fucker is why. He wants you to die."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Randalor posted:

How many veterans are also R voters? You may be able to discourage them from voting by saying "Hey, you know how you can't afford your cancer treatment? This fucker is why. He wants you to die."

They watched Trump poo poo all over darling media veteran John McCain for years and only loved him more for it. They don't give a toss.

The GOP could punch them in the mouth all day and they'd just say "It's ok, they were aiming for a liberal they saw behind me, I'm sure! I had too many teeth anyway."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Employment rate" is not a good indicator of economic health in a world where minimum wage is increasingly below the required standard of living. An index of expendable income would be much better, and especially if that index was compared to rate of activity versus rate of hoarding. And if you broke it out by tax bracket.

Sooner or later this country will have to contend with the idea that one or more classes are in a recession while others are not. Mass averages are lovely.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Double nice!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Randalor posted:

Trump literally called them losers and saluted a NK general.

Them being mad about minorities is still more important to them.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

It sounds like as of now Putin isn't biting at the hostage exchange. CNN:

quote:

The Russian Foreign Ministry said Thursday that Lavrov would "pay attention" to the request for the call with Blinken when "time permits," but said the foreign minister's schedule was currently busy.
---

Epic High Five posted:

She'll be on a bunch of boards where she will trade access to her rolodex for insider information and a large salary when she's not giving speeches at country clubs and economic institutes. She used to think she'd be president but she used to believe a lot of things if you go by what she tells people
Does she even have much of a rolodex? She's a (likely) one-term senator who's hated by both sides. I'm not going to argue it's impossible for her to get corporate handouts as a thank-you, but I could also easily see them going 'lol new phone who dis'. Like, at best her rightwing welfare circuit ceiling is somewhere around Martha McSally and Scott Brown.
I know it doesn't matter, but Kennedy sounds like an incredible moron in this clip.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zero_Grade posted:

Does she even have much of a rolodex? She's a (likely) one-term senator who's hated by both sides. I'm not going to argue it's impossible for her to get corporate handouts as a thank-you, but I could also easily see them going 'lol new phone who dis'. Like, at best her rightwing welfare circuit ceiling is somewhere around Martha McSally and Scott Brown.

"Former Senator" has a certain level of cachet even if you accomplished nothing of note. However, there's a good chance that she'll end up so hated that being known to associate with her becomes a PR liability, which would ideally scare a lot of cars off the gravy train

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

General question to the thread:

Why do you believe that Sinema does the things she does? What is her motivation?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

"Former Senator" has a certain level of cachet even if you accomplished nothing of note. However, there's a good chance that she'll end up so hated that being known to associate with her becomes a PR liability, which would ideally scare a lot of cars off the gravy train

always remember the saga of Trump's awful DHS secretary, Kirstjen Nielsen, the subject of this Atlantic article on how she will never work again.

six months later,
https://twitter.com/TheAtlanticPR/status/1175081178220716037
the same loving organization was hiring her to speak at an Ideas Festival on their behalf.

these people do not have to worry about failing downwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sephyr posted:

They watched Trump poo poo all over darling media veteran John McCain for years and only loved him more for it. They don't give a toss.

The GOP could punch them in the mouth all day and they'd just say "It's ok, they were aiming for a liberal they saw behind me, I'm sure! I had too many teeth anyway."

Jaxyon posted:

Trump literally called them losers and saluted a NK general.

Them being mad about minorities is still more important to them.

When was the last time something affecting VA funding came up that actually failed (rather than just Dems going "oh, we probably don't have enough votes? Okay, we won't vote on it")? This instance direct affects them, and if there's one thing that's been shown to piss Rs off, it's telling one "This directly affects you in a negative way" (or making them think something does). I'm not saying it'll cause all of the veterans to not vote, but considering how close some elections have been, even discouraging a dozen or two across the country from voting this particular election can tip some scales, and the Democrats can use all the help they can get right now.