Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Edward Mass posted:

I’m happy to announce the HBO Max app FINALLY works in portrait mode.

And not only that, but the PS5 app now does 4K video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A MIRACLE posted:

thanks for the rec this is sick!

haha they're doing a ghost bouncers sendup. I miss the kroll show

Evil whips rear end. It's the perfect level of campy and serious at the same time, and they do overrarching plot->monster of the week better than most shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Edward Mass posted:

I’m happy to announce the HBO Max app FINALLY works in portrait mode.

Whatever update there was broke playback for me on my Amazon Firestick. It auto loads to the next episode about 1 minute before the end of every episode, I have to be on it to cancel the autoload.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Smythe posted:

how do you watch so much tv. truly an inspiration.

I work from home lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Evil is one of the most stupid/fun shows since like, Sliders

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Halfway through the first season I find myself just very annoyed by the main villain in Evil (and how comfortable they are having the plot contort itself to allow him to do whatever he wants), but the actual episode mysteries are really fun so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Martman posted:

Halfway through the first season I find myself just very annoyed by the main villain in Evil (and how comfortable they are having the plot contort itself to allow him to do whatever he wants), but the actual episode mysteries are really fun so far.

don't worry, it gets so much worse lmao

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How can you be more mad at Leland than her mom lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

How can you be more mad at Leland than her mom lol
I just got to where that starts to happen and tbh if it just gets increasingly more absurd then I'm down to laugh at it.

I think it was bugging me when I was assuming the show wanted us to be seriously questioning whether he's truly magical or Just the World's Biggest rear end in a top hat, but I'm starting to get the impression that doesn't matter much and we're just along for the ride.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I watched the 1890's :france: Dreyfus Affair film "Officer and a Spy" with Jean Dujardin from 2019 and it was really well done and detailed despite the horrible jerk who directed it.

A bit hard to find streaming in :911: though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Martman posted:

I just got to where that starts to happen and tbh if it just gets increasingly more absurd then I'm down to laugh at it.

I think it was bugging me when I was assuming the show wanted us to be seriously questioning whether he's truly magical or Just the World's Biggest rear end in a top hat, but I'm starting to get the impression that doesn't matter much and we're just along for the ride.

it definitely toes the line x-files style but gets more magical towards the end of season 1

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gonz posted:

And not only that, but the PS5 app now does 4K video.

Does it do surround sound? I couldn't get it working a few months ago and found out that the PlayStation App didn't support it.

Ended up buying a Chromecast with Google TV puck and that could do it. Pretty silly that the big honking console couldn't but the puck can.

Chromecast is great but the Hulu app on there doesn't do surround. Fortunately the PS5 app works correctly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I just realized that episode 7 of The Old Man was the season finale LOL. What a wet fart ending.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

I just realized that episode 7 of The Old Man was the season finale LOL. What a wet fart ending.

Yeah, it was kind of exciting with great performances from John Lithgow, Jeff Bridges, Amy Brenneman, Joel Grey, and Alia Shawkat, then it just suddenly ended with a twist that was fairly obvious. If you're going to end a season with a cliffhanger twist, it should be bigger than what they served there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Has anyone watched that ILM docuseries that's on Disney+?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Watching "We Met in Virtual Reality" on HBO Max - if you're on this forum you probably already know about VRChat, but to me it's still interesting, and actually touching at times. As expected about 90% of the avatars seen are very fetishy (big titty anime girls with tails, etc), with about 30% of those I wouldn't want to explain to my parents. Still, eventually you get numb to it and just see people.

Some of the IMDB reviews complain that it's just the same stuff from Second Life, but I feel it's very different, since (to me) a shocking number of people have either full body mocap setups or at least full finger articulation (enough to teach a sign language class!). It's kind of wild to see the "metaverse" world that has been built by the current users and juxtapose it with what Meta probably wants. Thank gently caress Meta can't have a monopoly on VR worlds.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Glottis posted:

Watching "We Met in Virtual Reality" on HBO Max - if you're on this forum you probably already know about VRChat, but to me it's still interesting, and actually touching at times. As expected about 90% of the avatars seen are very fetishy (big titty anime girls with tails, etc), with about 30% of those I wouldn't want to explain to my parents. Still, eventually you get numb to it and just see people.

Some of the IMDB reviews complain that it's just the same stuff from Second Life, but I feel it's very different, since (to me) a shocking number of people have either full body mocap setups or at least full finger articulation (enough to teach a sign language class!). It's kind of wild to see the "metaverse" world that has been built by the current users and juxtapose it with what Meta probably wants. Thank gently caress Meta can't have a monopoly on VR worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHT-zBxKQQ

People Make Games did a great video about VRChat.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHT-zBxKQQ

People Make Games did a great video about VRChat.

Holy crap, that's Quinns from Shut Up & Sit Down. Thanks for posting this, now I have more Quinns to watch.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Holy crap, that's Quinns from Shut Up & Sit Down. Thanks for posting this, now I have more Quinns to watch.

Yeah, he has done several videos with the People Make Games Youtube channel. I recommend the two they did on Roblox that showcase how a platform that should be a cool positive thing that encourages kids to learn about game dev is predatory and terrible because of, yep, you guessed it :capitalism:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Roth posted:

Has anyone watched that ILM docuseries that's on Disney+?

Not seen Light and Magic but I found The Imagineering Story to be great hangover TV.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
holy poo poo, immediate recommend for anyone who has Criterion Channel, or gently caress, wherever you can see it.

Walker. Run don't walk. Ed Harris in PEAK form (what a hottie), blazing eyes Judge Holden mode, directed by Alex Cox (Repo Man, Sid and Nancy). Reagan era critique/political comedy of American interventionism, filmed when Cox visited Nicaragua under Sandinista rule and learned about American lies/atrocities. It relates the story of psychopathic American "adventurer" William Walker in the 1850s, his invasion of Nicaragua and short dictatorship. Hilarious, absurd, anachronistic, a lot of fun.

here's the corny rear end trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn45GsPoZrc
one of my favorite films ive seen in a while

p.s.

quote:

To get into character, Ed Harris led the entire cast in a 10-mile (16.1-km) forced march through the Nicaraguan countryside.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GonSmithe posted:

Evil whips rear end. It's the perfect level of campy and serious at the same time, and they do overrarching plot->monster of the week better than most shows.

It was a bit too dumb when the vatican dudes where like "we don't understand this map of symbols" and there is a description of one of them on loving wikipedia

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
speaking of campy shows with "evil" in the title, definitely give Ash vs. Evil Dead a shot if you like any of the Evil Dead movies. It's very fun, total nonsense at times, but just rolls with it.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

here's the corny rear end trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn45GsPoZrc
one of my favorite films ive seen in a while

That's actually relatively un-corny for a 1987 trailer. Peter Boyle looks nuts in this, I'll check it out. Holy crap it bombed though, $6M budget in 1987 and only made ~$250K.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 29, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

im watching the gray man. Im on the third act and still have no idea what's happening or what the stakes are lol. Ana de armas is so pretty dude

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I saw the Gray Man a few days ago and of the two Netflix original movies about a group of super secret agents starring a famous Ryan and taking place over 30 different indistinguishable countries its better than the last one but still not good

Maybe they'll get it right with #3 starring Ryan Philippe in a few years

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Weavered posted:

Not seen Light and Magic but I found The Imagineering Story to be great hangover TV.

I watched that when it first came out. It's a fun look at everything, although it felt a bit fluffy.

And then I watched the newer one they did by Toys That Made Us guys and Imagineering Story looked like Thin Blue Line by comparison.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Walker is fantastic. Don't worry about the box office or the trailer, which tries to make it seem more conventional than it is. Good on Criterion for getting it out there with a better-quality transfer.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

im watching the gray man. Im on the third act and still have no idea what's happening or what the stakes are lol. Ana de armas is so pretty dude

There was a click bait ad for a Marilyn Monroe movie made by Netflix with her as Marilyn that is going to be NC-17 that made me go, "I'm interested in this director's vision for the film."

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

A MIRACLE posted:

It's not overly confusing. Secret spy assassin man has to kill (first 15 min spoiler)other secret assassin spy man from the same unit and it makes him question the organization. Shady leader brings in unethical rear end in a top hat to clean it up. Things explode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hey man CIA burns an operative as part of a cover up is such a fresh interesting idea it can be hard to wrap your head around it

Unrelated edit: just saw Roku remade Swimming with Sharks but judging from the trailer it's really an All about Eve remake?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 29, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Here at the Doublecross Secret Agent Division only hire treacherous sophisticants

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't think any human is claiming The Grey Man includes any fresh story concepts. It does have some fun action bits and is filmed nicely, so it's not a total abomination. It passed the fun test for my Boomer dad who picks apart everything, so it's got something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does Resident Evil eventually acquire any decrepit charm or cheesiness, scares, otherworldliness, genuine menace, or anything at all to recommend it to anyone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

doctorfrog posted:

Does Resident Evil eventually acquire any decrepit charm or cheesiness, scares, otherworldliness, genuine menace, or anything at all to recommend it to anyone

I kinda enjoyed Lance Riddick. He's given a lot to do and is pretty entertaining whenever he's on screen. The other characters suck.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

It's good, but not consistently good, if you enjoy camp -- there's usually at least one subplot every episode that straight up leans into being bananas, like the cat lady subplot in episode... three? I think? Or pretty much anything Paula Nunez / late season Lance Reddick does on screen.

If it got a second season, or was one of those older shows where they were producing longer seasons and could adjust the tone based on audience reactions, then I think it'd probably have settled into being something a bit like Gotham, but I don't think it's going to be renewed.

But it's one of those grognard fandom shows, where anything that suggests the source text is stupid (and let's not pretend, Resident Evil is loving stupid) is immediately overwhelmed with weird reactionary discourse about disrespecting the original text.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that it needed more bits like that zootopia line that's been floating around, not fewer.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Resident Evil is one of the very few high concept comic booky shows that I could not finish, and I watch everything. The characters just SUCK. I like campy poo poo but drat.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yeah it sucks rear end, verifiable garbagio

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Glottis posted:

It passed the fun test for my Boomer dad who picks apart everything, so it's got something.
I felt iffy before, but thank you, now I will definitely never watch this

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I kinda enjoyed Lance Riddick. He's given a lot to do and is pretty entertaining whenever he's on screen. The other characters suck.

I'm having fun laughing at the gossip girl characters who accidentally wandered into Raccoon City

also having one of the episodes take place in an abandoned nazi(?) prison was pretty wild.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lance Reddick in full leather with the flat top haircut about killed me. I laughed so hard at that.