Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Hmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So does that mean exceeding 400% of capacity?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
No it obviously says it was at 100%!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

In all seriousness it could definitely be phrased better - I'd go with "children under 15, and people who may become pregnant" and "all others" personally

Yeah, that is a lot better without the implication I'm just a gestation chamber, with the bonus trans erasure.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SiKboy posted:

Is there any part of the Gow you would eat fish from?

No. I'm shocked there's anything alive in it at all besides those weird extremophile bacteria that live on pollutants and can't survive outside superfund sites.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No. I'm shocked there's anything alive in it at all besides those weird extremophile bacteria that live on pollutants and can't survive outside superfund sites.

I'm going to level with you my dude, I've never heard of Gowanus before, have no idea where or what it is, was too lazy to google it and was entirely going for a cheap anus joke.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I actually used to work at the old grain terminal that backs up against the Gowanus. There were a bunch of killfish in there, but I never saw anyone fishing for them. While I was working there, the Brooklyn PD thought that someone had thrown a murder weapon into the canal, so they sent divers down to check. They didn't find a gun, but they did find a foot of "viscous black jelly" covering the bottom of the canal, and the whole thing got declared a superfund site a couple years later.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SiKboy posted:

I'm going to level with you my dude, I've never heard of Gowanus before, have no idea where or what it is, was too lazy to google it and was entirely going for a cheap anus joke.

It's the nastiest body of water in New York City.

Tobermory posted:

I actually used to work at the old grain terminal that backs up against the Gowanus. There were a bunch of killfish in there, but I never saw anyone fishing for them. While I was working there, the Brooklyn PD thought that someone had thrown a murder weapon into the canal, so they sent divers down to check. They didn't find a gun, but they did find a foot of "viscous black jelly" covering the bottom of the canal, and the whole thing got declared a superfund site a couple years later.

Yeah, it's been a polluted hellpit since the 1800s.

EDIT: Here's a sentence pulled from the Wiki article that says it all, really: "Although the Gowanus Canal is poisonous to humans, it may be breeding previously unidentified types of organisms"

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jul 30, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It is legendarily polluted.

I don’t mean that it is heavily polluted, I mean that it is the Platonic ideal of pollution from which all other things drink.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I don’t mean that it is heavily polluted, I mean that it is the Platonic ideal of pollution from which all other things drink.

Not if they know what's good for them they don't

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Feels like we should leave it as-is so the new post-humanity ecosystem can get a head start.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The immortal science of praxeology.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can angle this best fit line however I want, gently caress youuuu statisticians!! :flip:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:lol: but only because it's either that or :smith:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ultrafilter posted:

:lol: but only because it's either that or :smith:

this one of those is good too

https://twitter.com/matthewlesh/status/1373896138047188993

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I am unclear on whether "economic freedom" means markets are more "free" (aka more capitalist) or whether it means people have more freedom, economically (aka less capitalist).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I am unclear on whether "economic freedom" means markets are more "free" (aka more capitalist) or whether it means people have more freedom, economically (aka less capitalist).

I'm pretty sure that's by design.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

The former

Ajon
Aug 8, 2007
'VRROOOMMM!!!' roared the car. 'SPRUITS!' said gramma.

Source: Beyond the Calorie Paradigm: Taking into Account in Practice the Balance of Fat and Carbohydrate Oxidation during Exercise?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's a combination of a couple factors - (a) relative security against theft, fraud, corruption, etc whether as a result of norms or legal enforcement, which most people will agree is universally a good thing, and (b) freedom of capital like low taxes or regulatory burden, which is more of a political question and why these indexes tend to favor more "capitalist" countries.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

My first thought was that I didn't know if the point of 50/50 crossover was important in this context, but I don't see the issue with the graph itself showing it. Then I realized that there are two y-axes.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

This chart has been recreated from a 1994 article that committed the exact same dual y axis sin (I mean, it would have to, how else would you come up with the "crossover" term except by plotting it bad?).

Can you imagine if "the terrible chart" was like the standard in your field, and decades later you constantly have to swallow your pride and reprint a version of it even though you know that it's wrong and bad but some moron decided it looked cool and you can't get anything published if you don't include it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lmao, that's some grade A trolling.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Eating a PB&J twice an hour to become immortal

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tenebrais posted:

Eating a PB&J twice an hour to become immortal

Shoveling hot dogs into my mouth to lose -36 minutes a pop and getting even more immortal

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
Finally, my strict diet of 40 orders of French fries an hour is vindicated.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Most people can eat a sandwich much faster than 30 minutes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By my calculations, I could eat four hundred cherry tomatoes per day and achieve immortality, and it’s under twelve hundred kilocalories.

I could work with that.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Aug 4, 2022

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Platystemon posted:

By my calculations, I could eat four hundred cherry tomatoes per day, and it’s under twelve hundred kilocalories.

I could work with that.

Eagerly awaiting the trip report with appropriate charts and graphs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

By my calculations, I could eat four hundred cherry tomatoes per day, and it’s under twelve hundred kilocalories.

I could work with that.

The lycopene would go well with your micropene

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I am very dubious of a chart that says french fries are healthy in anyway. They just as much oil as you can put onto the smallest amount of potato possible.

Also P&J sandwiches healthier than bananas, avocado or tomatoes. LOL.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'll eat nothing but hot dogs, keep track of how many I've eaten, and then when I die someone else can do the math on how long I would have lived if I hadn't

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Source: a university.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Shoveling hot dogs into my mouth to lose -36 minutes a pop and getting even more immortal

Via posterity, or integer overflow?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
These studies are very time consuming, after feeding one group one tomato and another a slice of cheddar and so on you then have to wait 50+ years for everyone to die before you can even begin your analysis

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

my daily lunch of peanut butter and jelly oatmeal is surely the source of my recent vitality

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mr. Fix It posted:

my daily lunch of peanut butter and jelly oatmeal is surely the source of my recent vitality
Hold up there. Chart only addresses peanut butter and jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Scarodactyl posted:

Hold up there. Chart only addresses peanut butter and jam.

poo poo, where's my starch conversion table?