Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Previously I did a sort of very mini-review here and here of Contagion Chronicle. It's only about the main book. I don't think the players guide was even out at that point, but unless it's a revelation I doubt it would change my opinion.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

That Old Tree posted:

Previously I did a sort of very mini-review of Contagion Chronicle. It's only about the main book. I don't think the players guide was even out at that point, but unless it's a revelation I doubt it would change my opinion.
The player's guide has the actual Q&A of "ok well how does X interact with Y" like what arcana influence which groups, do Deviants have souls, what happens to vampires who drink the blood of <insert splat>, etc. Just basic technical expectations you assume would and should come up in a crossover game. That part is useful, if definitely not worth the price of admission.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I just got both since they’re so cheap. Haven’t looked at the actual contagion chronicle yet but I skimmed the players guide and it seems like it’s worth $0.50 if you’re running a mage game and planning to use one or more of the other splats as an antagonist or gently caress about in the hedge or whatever. Not that any of the “how supernal magic interacts with splat X” is at all surprising or particularly difficult to come up with on your own.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Full WoD Superfriends games get bandied about a bit as a talking point in online spaces but I don't know anyone who's actually played one.

A Mage, a Vampire, a Werewolf, and a Changeling all solving spooky mysteries together sounds neat

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Froghammer posted:

Full WoD Superfriends games get bandied about a bit as a talking point in online spaces but I don't know anyone who's actually played one.

A Mage, a Vampire, a Werewolf, and a Changeling all solving spooky mysteries together sounds neat

I'm putting this togeather in my head and it's gonna be the elevator pitch to my D&D group. Basically a Buffy the Vampire Slayer style world of darkness game. I'm gonna be selling mage pretty hard, but I know a few of my players would find tearing poo poo up as a wearwolf more appealing than esoteric research into the nature of reality.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Froghammer posted:

The game I'm in right now is two mages, a demon, a (very contagiously transmissible) deviant, a changeling, and a sublimatus pandoran. It HAS been very neat!

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The game I'm in right now is two mages, a demon, a (very contagiously transmissible) deviant, a changeling, and a sublimatus pandoran. It HAS been very neat!

Do you end up glossing over a lot of the splat-specific rules or is it not as hard as I'm imagining to keep those all straight?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Do you end up glossing over a lot of the splat-specific rules or is it not as hard as I'm imagining to keep those all straight?

Yeah I'd like some insight into this. The Vampire 20th book has all of the different types of monsters stated up as "psudo-vampires" with vampire powers used to simulate the abilities of mages and werewolfs etc. I thought this might be the best approach to me as a new storyteller to these systems.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Um obviously please us me all about the Sublimatus Pandoran

Is he an angry flesh blob

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Berkshire Hunts posted:

Everyone tries to keep their side of the street clean, basically. The mages know their rules well (including the big tables of modifiers for casting and scrutiny and such), the changeling player has STed a couple games I've been in so he's got that poo poo locked down, the pandoran is enough of an edge case that rules for her player are fairly straightforward-if-niche (with regards to eating and recharging and healing), and the demon's stuff, at least early on (without getting into Interlocks and all that fun stuff yet) have mostly revolved around a lot of lying-to-other-PCs'-faces about her power set ('I can see radio signals and talk to machines!') and origin ('Uhhhh God Machine did something weird to me idk! weird!') and keeping compromises to a minimum.

Really the biggest outlier is the deviant (who I'm playing), and that's mostly been a combination of, that splat's rules hate if you aren't constantly pursuing at least one Conviction touchstone or defending one Loyalty touchstone (but my ST's done a great job tying enough hooks and yarnboard-strings into the plot as a whole that I'm almost always in pursuit or defense of something anyway), and also the instability rules are a hot loving mess that we mostly ignore in favor of just bumping up my xp costs from "4xp buys you a variation of <level of any open scar you mutated into>" to "4xp / new variation dot" which I feel is a more than fair trade-off, given my ST is also already having to do conspiracy rolls on the side AND keeping track of transmission of his deviancy (28d later style rage zombie power suite, with transmissibility modeled using the "one resistance trait roll requiring a single success with a 30 second onset" option for transmission). Which even then we minimize exposure because 1. my character doesn't know IC the full parameters of what makes him infectious and errs on the side of "wear PPE all the time" and 2. the good news about a mega-mixed-splat game is, very few untemplated mortals who could potentially get it (but he doesn't know that shhh).

Froghammer posted:

Um obviously please us me all about the Sublimatus Pandoran

Is he an angry flesh blob
She's usually a semi-borg'd up looking cyberlady (the game's set in the near future) but also has a "mitosis off a lil gramlin version of me" power. So for example we started our most recent session with her being carted around in a backpack while her main body just slumps over in our base. Just in case we need the lil gramlin to go vent mode.

She also completely derailed pun intended our first, PCs-get-together session because she went to recharge off a subway's third rail and the ST extremely blew the "check to see if the power system can withstand this shock" roll the PtC rules recommend. Like "sigh heavily, tell the players I need like 20 minutes to figure out what we do with this" level blew it. But it's been fun!

Chernobyl Peace Prize fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 25, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I think we actually had to make the sublimatus rules harsher on players because as-written they made being one too easy. Specifically, instead of electrical damage just freely refilling the pandoran's pyros and health bar, the sublimatus can heal via electricity like prometheans do but needs to spend 1 willpower to turn a point of electric bashing into a point of pyros, which is pretty onerous for a creature that doesn't actually have a virtue or vice.

My favorite recent discovery in our near-future post-apocalyptic WoD game is that, for complicated setting reasons, the Forsaken had to switch from Luna to Helios, so they've got glowing yellow tattoos and Solar caste marks now.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Yeah I'd like some insight into this. The Vampire 20th book has all of the different types of monsters stated up as "psudo-vampires" with vampire powers used to simulate the abilities of mages and werewolfs etc. I thought this might be the best approach to me as a new storyteller to these systems.

Ehhhhh, that's more for just using them as enemies.

My understanding of how doing cross splat games (as pitched by Ascension 1e) is basically "Here are a couple of rules for how to translate X's power meter to Mage, or just use whatever works for you :shrug:"

It's incredibly dumb and expects the ST to have a solid knowledge of each game and then expects you to figure out how to actually make the various fiddly bits of each splat play nice with each other.

I'm sure it can be done, but I feel like either you'd have to work out some kind of blanket rule for everyone that simplified the fiddly bits or expect the players to have an ST level understanding of the splat they're playing so they can mange their own fiddly powers.

I have a feeling NWOD/CoD by its design as more a toolbox game probably makes running a crossover easier than classic WoD did.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

joylessdivision posted:

I have a feeling NWOD/CoD by its design as more a toolbox game probably makes running a crossover easier than classic WoD did.
It extremely does, plus having more-or-less consistent rules for resistance traits, clash of wills, etc. handles most of the potential friction in mechanics, and players going into it knowing "yes the mages can reshape reality; with sufficient force you can also just reshape a mage, with your hands" helps with any scale friction.

Ferrinus posted:

My favorite recent discovery in our near-future post-apocalyptic WoD game is that, for complicated setting reasons, the Forsaken had to switch from Luna to Helios, so they've got glowing yellow tattoos and Solar caste marks now.
And yet the Pure managed to back the popular-but-wrong horse again

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Fundamentally, you can't actually do cross-splat games in the oWoD because oWoD games are set in superficially similar but fundamentally different universes. You can kind of make them fit together (Demon: the Fallen made a heroic attempt, for instance) but someone's going to lose out or get rug-pulled somewhere and, completely separate from these narrative considerations, the actual rules are not consistent with each other. One of the big appeals of the new World of Darkness is that it actually is a single world (of darkness) that you can drag and drop the different things into and basically see them all function together. They're not necessarily balanced or possessed of custom-made reasons to hang out with each other but they're mutually intelligible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ferrinus posted:

Fundamentally, you can't actually do cross-splat games in the oWoD because oWoD games are set in superficially similar but fundamentally different universes. You can kind of make them fit together (Demon: the Fallen made a heroic attempt, for instance) but someone's going to lose out or get rug-pulled somewhere and, completely separate from these narrative considerations, the actual rules are not consistent with each other. One of the big appeals of the new World of Darkness is that it actually is a single world (of darkness) that you can drag and drop the different things into and basically see them all function together. They're not necessarily balanced or possessed of custom-made reasons to hang out with each other but they're mutually intelligible.

You could say Mage is the meta-game and any inconsistencies are just different points of view :tipshat:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rutibex posted:

You could say Mage is the meta-game and any inconsistencies are just different points of view :tipshat:

No, Demon actually has Mage beat when it comes to oWoD syncretism, but it doesn't really matter since the syncretism itself still ends up sweeping some games or others under the rug. It's for good reason that the monster manual in the back of the Vampire book is like WEREWOLF: (dog with a lot of dots of potence and celerity), MAGE: (guy with a lot of dots of auspex and thaumaturgy)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
This week's CoD sale at DTRPG is the core CoD 2e line (the core rulebook, the Dark Eras books, Hurt Locker, and the Contagion Chronicle). I guess the Contagion Chronicle + its Player's Guide might be worth it at three bucks total, or fifty cents for just the Player's Guide.

It looks like the original WOD: God-Machine Chronicle book was pulled from sale at DTRPG at some point? I get why they'd do that, given how much of its was reprinted in the CoD core, but still, it'd be nice to have it there (especially since, IIRC, some material related to the titular chronicle wasn't reproduced in a later book).

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

The player's guide has the actual Q&A of "ok well how does X interact with Y" like what arcana influence which groups, do Deviants have souls, what happens to vampires who drink the blood of <insert splat>, etc. Just basic technical expectations you assume would and should come up in a crossover game. That part is useful, if definitely not worth the price of admission.

It makes some really weird calls though, both on what to spend word count on (a quarter of a page on "what is Willpower?" and another half page on "which templates recover Willpower from sleeping and which don't?" which is very wishy-washy and "decide for yourself" without presenting any direct answers or default condition) and what rulings it actually makes (at one point it contradicts both Demon: the Descent and itself on a later page by saying demons have souls; it makes a call on how contested actions work that reverses how it always worked before).

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
aren't there parts of the contagion chronicle seemingly written as if the author had no idea it isn't an owod book and so it starts talking about target numbers and botches

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mister Olympus posted:

aren't there parts of the contagion chronicle seemingly written as if the author had no idea it isn't an owod book and so it starts talking about target numbers and botches

I believe the actual oWoD system terminology got removed in the errata pass, but it still has rolls with the granular structure of oWoD resolution, i.e. "you must roll at least X successes to actually succeed on this non-contested roll"

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
my favorite splat is still Geist 1e/2e after 10 years and my least favorite is still Mage. feel like im setting myself up for tragedy being as invested in nwod/cod as i am. got a soft zoo style game going though which is fun.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Does Exalted count as Chronicles of Darkness?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Rutibex posted:

Does Exalted count as Chronicles of Darkness?

It has nothing to do with it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Covermeinsunshine posted:

It has nothing to do with it

I wouldn't say nothing. I guess I was just asking if here is the place to post about it, but I found the big Exalted thread so no worries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgsKqMqT7zM

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hurt Locker has some fun fighting styles in it, there's one or two that help make non physical characters not useless in combat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone should adopt the Savage Worlds thing where non-fighters can do stuff in combat with maneuvers like Taunt and Trick. Possibly the only good idea that ever came out of the Masterbook system.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Good news: The H5 book is now on DriveThruRPG.

Bad news: It's 50 bux CAD.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheCenturion posted:

I'll wait for the supplements that adds back the Imbued and/or all the crazy mortal organizations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Hurt Locker has some fun fighting styles in it, there's one or two that help make non physical characters not useless in combat.

I patently just don't use fighting styles in anything that isn't hunter or mortal based. It has always had the tendency of making combat take longer without really being cooler than they could have been just normally because they're supersplats. Hunters are great fun with fighting styles though, and I always liked the team styles from Vigil 1e.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jhet posted:

I patently just don't use fighting styles in anything that isn't hunter or mortal based. It has always had the tendency of making combat take longer without really being cooler than they could have been just normally because they're supersplats. Hunters are great fun with fighting styles though, and I always liked the team styles from Vigil 1e.
Changeling 2e's got some decent ones for filling the numerical gap between "forsooth! we shall duel, knave! Have at thee!" in the expectation based on the various melee powers, and "I use Gun" in the reality.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Changeling 2e's got some decent ones for filling the numerical gap between "forsooth! we shall duel, knave! Have at thee!" in the expectation based on the various melee powers, and "I use Gun" in the reality.

Ahh cool. I haven’t read most of Lost 2e in depth. Fighting styles have just normally felt either straight broken or theme breaking in ways that could have been covered with a much smaller group of individual fighting merits. I think it probably has something to do with each FS feeling like it had 2-3 levels of filler.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Jhet posted:

Ahh cool. I haven’t read most of Lost 2e in depth. Fighting styles have just normally felt either straight broken or theme breaking in ways that could have been covered with a much smaller group of individual fighting merits. I think it probably has something to do with each FS feeling like it had 2-3 levels of filler.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Lost 2e's styles are Elemental Warrior (incredible, perfect, the level of specialization-and-customization you want from a fighting style), Enchanting Performance (this could be a merit but I guess styles kinda are, w/e), and Hedge Duelist (okay I guess? If you anticipate fighting in the Hedge enough for it to be worth it, and expect to thread the needle where its 3 dot power (get target's wound penalties as bonus dice on your attack roll) is going to come up ever).

The third one kind of hits on a problem I feel like 2e across CoD has, which is combat's swingy and explosive enough that a lot of granularity just won't happen. You're either getting missed entirely, maybe taking 1L/1B after armor, or you're getting absolutely loving exploded. And unless you want combat scenes to really drag on, you're probably going to have enemies behaving closer to the first and third. Or you're using rules that involve Beaten Down, in which case: it doesn't matter, first blood's all you need (which is good! I like this setup! It's smart!).

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mister Olympus posted:

Not just Contagion Chronicle. It's been a problem ever since the oWoD got revived.

EDIT - Actually, scratch that. It's been a problem since the nWoD started up. It's just that the number of gaffes slipping past Developers has increased as those Developers are increasingly disinterested in the nWoD.

My very first book back in 2008, I wrote a bit referring to ghosts as having arcanoi. It made print and has never been corrected!

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 28, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

TheCenturion posted:

I don't really want it but here I am to say that this is in fact how much all RPGs should cost.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Not just Contagion Chronicle. It's been a problem ever since the oWoD got revived.

EDIT - Actually, scratch that. It's been a problem since the nWoD started up. It's just that the number of gaffes slipping past Developers has increased as those Developers are increasingly disinterested in the nWoD.

My very first book back in 2008, I wrote a bit referring to ghosts as having arcanoi. It made print and has never been corrected!

lol nice

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

TheCenturion posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you meant the printed book, but they are selling the pdf for almost $40 US.

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really want it but here I am to say that this is in fact how much all RPGs should cost.

I completely agree...for a bound and printed book (and not that dubious printing that DriveThruRPG uses), but for a pdf that's insane.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I completely agree...for a bound and printed book (and not that dubious printing that DriveThruRPG uses), but for a pdf that's insane.

I mean, that's the point. For the amount of work that goes into a high-quality RPG book, pdf or hardback, it really should be more expensive if you want to actually pay people what they're worth. But capitalism is what it is, and the rest of us aren't being paid what we're worth so the idea of spending $50 on a book that isn't completely guaranteed to get us $50 of enjoyment gives us all heart palpitations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean, that's the point. For the amount of work that goes into a high-quality RPG book, pdf or hardback, it really should be more expensive if you want to actually pay people what they're worth. But capitalism is what it is, and the rest of us aren't being paid what we're worth so the idea of spending $50 on a book that isn't completely guaranteed to get us $50 of enjoyment gives us all heart palpitations.

There are too many good rpgs to pay that much for a PDF. The real problem is everyone's rent is too drat high.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It looks like Justin Achilli and Karim Muammar are the only ones who've done rules for tabletop RPGs before. Otherwise there's someone who made a board game and wrote for the Hunters Hunted II anthology. And three people from D&D's new Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel.

No reviews yet but the Discussion tab is all negative.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/404271/Hunter-The-Reckoning-5th-Edition-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook

Looks like the Proofreaders were also all part of the "World of Darkness Team."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah I'm going to try out h5 next week at gencon. Definitely a "try first" price range.