Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Data Graham posted:

Holy flurking shnit, I just discovered the depth of implementation for the "your mouse cursor can span across to nearby computers" feature in Monterey.

Having just upgraded my second MBP to the same OS as my primary one, I was at first startled that my pointer was continuing on to the second laptop's screen as though it were a second display, and I could control that laptop's screen and keyboard input and even volume controls from my first one. Kinda neat, maybe a little annoying, but oh well, I'll leave it turned on and see if I like it.

But just now I stumbled upon the real killer feature: you can drag files across from one computer's desktop to the other

I did a screenshot on laptop 2, grabbed the temporary thumbnail from the bottom right of laptop 2, and dragged it back across to laptop 1 and dropped it into an email.

:aaaaa:

Because the second laptop is work-provided and AirDrop is disabled I've been reduced to passing files back and forth by dropping them into Notes. This changes my life.

e: until they centrally disable this too
Universal Control is fantastic. I use it when I'm WFH since it means I can run my work MBP on one screen and my own Mac at home on the other and just use them effectively as one system while having access to everything on both.

The other thing that's real fun is that it works both ways so I can use the magic trackpad that's connected to my own Mac on the work MBP along with the normal mouse/keyboard I have if I just swipe the cursor over to the right from my own Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a way/app for macOS to remember my window layout? I have three monitors, one of which is an ultrawide. Whenever I switch my UW from one source to dual source (75% my Mac, 25% my work PC) it forgets everything and I have to changing the scaling on Monitor #3, rearrange everything so the cursor flows properly, and reset the monitor in front of me to be my main. Just frustrating and it’d be great if there was an app that remembered these profiles.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

TraderStav posted:

Is there a way/app for macOS to remember my window layout? I have three monitors, one of which is an ultrawide. Whenever I switch my UW from one source to dual source (75% my Mac, 25% my work PC) it forgets everything and I have to changing the scaling on Monitor #3, rearrange everything so the cursor flows properly, and reset the monitor in front of me to be my main. Just frustrating and it’d be great if there was an app that remembered these profiles.

I don’t have an answer for you, but this is an interesting problem. MacOS has gotten pretty good at remembering windows for me, moving between screens. But I’m guessing what’s confusing it is that from its perspective, this isn’t a changed monitor, it’s one monitor ID that mysteriously alters its resolution. I remember there being apps that solved monitor-swapping window problems back when macOS was way worse at it, don’t know where they are now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

thetzar posted:

I don’t have an answer for you, but this is an interesting problem. MacOS has gotten pretty good at remembering windows for me, moving between screens. But I’m guessing what’s confusing it is that from its perspective, this isn’t a changed monitor, it’s one monitor ID that mysteriously alters its resolution. I remember there being apps that solved monitor-swapping window problems back when macOS was way worse at it, don’t know where they are now.

Yeah, I’m not too worried about it all being automatic and detecting it perfectly on the fly. If it could replicate an app that I had on Windows (Ultramon) then I could just pick whatever profile and it’d auto-arrange, set resolutions, etc. when I picked. That’d be sufficient. I’ll dig myself to see if anything like that exists.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You want Stay. https://cordlessdog.com/stay/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Outstanding, looks like it'll fit the bill. Will check it out, thank you!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a very stupid question. I’m brand new to MacOS, just got an M2 Air. I have an external drive I used on my Windows PC that has all of my retro game roms. Surely I can’t just plug and play to copy the stuff over to my Mac’s storage right?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a very stupid question. I’m brand new to MacOS, just got an M2 Air. I have an external drive I used on my Windows PC that has all of my retro game roms. Surely I can’t just plug and play to copy the stuff over to my Mac’s storage right?

I can’t imagine why that wouldn’t work. Is the drive formatted as something besides exFAT, FAT32, or NTFS?

edit: As The Lord Bude says below, reading (and, by extension, copying) the data shouldn’t be a problem. MacOS doesn’t support writing to an NTFS volume, but otherwise you should be good to go for this use case.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 20, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If the external drive is formatted as exFAT you can just plug and play - most external drives and usb sticks and stuff come formatted as exFAT specifically so they can be used cross platform.

If it’s NTFS, that is more complicated - I believe there is third party software to at least read NTFS on macOS (or is it that macOS can read NTFS but not write to it without software?) but ideally you’d move the data off it, reformat as exFAT and move it back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

💩💩💩 macOS Monterey 12.5 and macOS Big Sur 11.6.8 have dropped 💩💩💩

Apple posted:

macOS Monterey 12.5 includes enhancements, bug fixes and security updates.

- TV app adds the option to restart a live sports game already in-progress and pause, rewind, or fast-forward

- Fixes an issue in Safari where a tab may revert back to a previous page

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

And hopefully includes that USB-C fix..

Apple posted:

macOS Big Sur 11.6.8

This update is recommended for all users and improves the security of macOS.

For more information on the security content of this update see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 20, 2022

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

The Lord Bude posted:

I believe there is third party software to at least read NTFS on macOS (or is it that macOS can read NTFS but not write to it without software?)

It's the latter - macOS can read NTFS as of a couple of versions ago. I think the big names for software that lets you write to NTFS are Paragon NTFS and Tuxera.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks for the responses! It’s not formatted as anything weird so it should work. I hadn’t tried it yet, spent the morning just messing around with stuff and getting it set up

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

goddammit apple fix ur poo poo

edit: sorry for the gigantic fucken picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You might have to reboot to get it to admit there's a new version out.

I already updated a bunch of my machines (those that could) to 11.6.8 and 12.5 already.

That's probably going to be the last point release for Big Sur, from now on it'll only probably get Security Updates, like Catalina got (Software Update 2022-005.)

Monterey might get one or two more point updates but probably not much more than that as Ventura gets ready to rumble

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nexxai posted:

goddammit apple fix ur poo poo

edit: sorry for the gigantic fucken picture

So when this happens, if you want to update pronto, you have to hit CMD + R to refresh this.

Doesn't look like it's happening for you atm, but there's a bug that's been around for a few major versions for me where the search field is automatically focused, and you can't clear it from that screen. So you have to go back to the main screen, click on an empty space, so the search field is deselected, then go back to the update screen and finally CMD + R. Maddening.

I guess Ventura will finally fix this by way of removing System Preferences.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

101 posted:

Doesn't look like it's happening for you atm, but there's a bug that's been around for a few major versions for me where the search field is automatically focused, and you can't clear it from that screen. So you have to go back to the main screen, click on an empty space, so the search field is deselected, then go back to the update screen and finally CMD + R. Maddening.

Holy crap this was driving me crazy, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What exactly is compressing apps? There are a couple stock apps (The, well, stocks app being one) that I cannot remove but I have the option of compressing them

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Binary Badger posted:

And hopefully includes that USB-C fix..

On my work macbook it fixed broken video thumbnails so yay?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What exactly is compressing apps? There are a couple stock apps (The, well, stocks app being one) that I cannot remove but I have the option of compressing them

That's just like compressing any other folder and will make a compressed version of app. So Stocks.app becomes Stocks.zip. In this case though, you still can't delete Stocks.app and you're stuck with both. I'd honestly just leave them alone and find out what's really using up disk space on your Mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

On my work macbook it fixed broken video thumbnails so yay?

Welp better than finding new bugs

Apple does fix a lot of bugs in point releases, the issue is they absolutely refuse to ever document any of their bug fixes unless it's been a really popularized / show stopping bug.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I've now tried installing 12.5 three times. Each time I reboot to finish the update, I end up back on 12.4. Is that sort of thing common on macOS?

Edit: Proving once more that bitching about it on the internet solves random tech problems, the 4th attempt worked. This time it also redownloaded the update files.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 21, 2022

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Badly Jester posted:

I've now tried installing 12.5 three times. Each time I reboot to finish the update, I end up back on 12.4. Is that sort of thing common on macOS?

Edit: Proving once more that bitching about it on the internet solves random tech problems, the 4th attempt worked. This time it also redownloaded the update files.

The re-download is probably what fixed it. The reboots back to 12.4 were because our (relatively) new APFS overlord has brought rollback to macOS - updates are now performed by first taking an APFS snapshot of everything, then applying the update. If something goes wrong with the update, the old snapshot is still there, and it's just promoted back into being the live version of the filesystem and then it reboots and you're back to a working machine instead of something horribly broken.

Of course, in typical modern-Apple style, they don't bother telling you that this is what happened, but it did.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Re: problematic system updates, I've become quite fond of running "sudo softwareupdate -a -i -R" from the Terminal command line.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Bit out of the loop: is safari usable nowadays?

Any plans to go back to supporting extensions outside of the app store that I have not heard of?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gros Tarla posted:

Any plans to go back to supporting extensions outside of the app store that I have not heard of?

Yes and no

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

Safari is decent, what extensions are you missing? There's AdGuard for ads, Choosy for opening a link in another browser, Clean Links for removing tracking IDs on URLs, and SponsorBlock for YouTube ads.

Why not try Firefox? It has...
More extensions
Favicons (cmon Safari, let me display them on my bookmarks bar)
Bookmark keywords (can't live without at this point)
Better cookie privacy
Video PiP
Multi-Account Tab Containers - Silo and group specific websites so their cookies and tracking are isolated

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 23, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gay Retard posted:

Safari is decent, what extensions are you missing? There's AdGuard for ads, Choosy for opening a link in another browser, Clean Links for removing tracking IDs on URLs, and SponsorBlock for YouTube ads.

Why not try Firefox? It has...
More extensions
Favicons (cmon Safari, let me display them on my bookmarks bar)
Bookmark keywords (can't live without at this point)
Better cookie privacy
Video PiP
Multi-Account Tab Containers - Silo and group specific websites so their cookies and tracking are isolated

How is Firefox for battery life? The Safari vs Anything Else trade-off on Macs has always been that you get fewer features but longer battery life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

How is Firefox for battery life? The Safari vs Anything Else trade-off on Macs has always been that you get fewer features but longer battery life.

I haven't done very thorough testing but I haven't been able to tell in regular unplugged use with a 14" MBP. It's not nearly as egregious as it was on my 15" 2016 when testing Chrome vs Safari.

This video here kind of bears me out, though the battery usage differences are more significant than I thought. Here are the graphs he made so you don't have to watch the whole drat thing. My conclusion is that the browsers on the new M1 stuff are extremely efficient and I'll use Safari when I'm really trying to marathon a charge and Firefox the rest of the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gros Tarla posted:

No

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have to say I like the look and feel of safari more. I tend to use safari for most sites and Firefox for sites that require intensive decrapifying.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there anything on macOS that even comes close to being as powerful as AutoHotKey on Windows? Hammerspoon looks like it might do some of what I need (hotkeys, sending automated clicks), but where it seems to fall short is in creating small GUIs and directly interacting with with Office documents. E.g., I select text, press a button, have AHK auto-populates a small GUI window based on clipboard contents, the title of the window I copied from etc., I add a bit of information and then all of that is pasted into a spreadsheet in the background.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Badly Jester posted:

Is there anything on macOS that even comes close to being as powerful as AutoHotKey on Windows? Hammerspoon looks like it might do some of what I need (hotkeys, sending automated clicks), but where it seems to fall short is in creating small GUIs and directly interacting with with Office documents. E.g., I select text, press a button, have AHK auto-populates a small GUI window based on clipboard contents, the title of the window I copied from etc., I add a bit of information and then all of that is pasted into a spreadsheet in the background.

Automator can do some of that, and shortcuts is now on macOS too

I use a windows 11 vm for all my ahk needs

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You could look into BetterTouchTool. It can integrate with Automator, Applescript, and shell scripts, and it has a lot of useful actions it can do.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah, I think BetterTouchTools will probably satisfy most of your needs. I highly depend on that and Alfred (Raycast is also good but feels a little slower)

This “Reimagined Command-Tab” app is pretty cool:

https://lowtechguys.com/rcmd/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Gay Retard posted:

This “Reimagined Command-Tab” app is pretty cool:

https://lowtechguys.com/rcmd/

Nice. This does look cool and I do never use the right CMD key

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Goons,

I'm getting prompted to install 12.5 on my next restart. Thing is, I'm running 12.4 via OCLP and it's explicitly verboten to install 12.5 a.t.m as the Nvidia drivers are broken.

How do I tell software update to 'forget' the 12.5 update download so my Mac won't attempt to update after the next reboot and disappear up its own rear end?

Where does software update store these downloads? I've just unchecked all the 'auto-download' and 'autoupdate' boxes. I could just delete the download.

Using the command line is not a problem. Input appreciated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Try this:

https://osxdaily.com/2020/05/12/disable-red-badge-icon-system-preferences-macos/

Yeah, Apple is just cleaning up after themselves, after all, Monterey isn't supposed to run on anything with an nVidia GPU anyways.

Dortania says I'm not supposed to be able to run it on a MacBook Pro 11,2 but he seems to forget they made a submodel for the cheap buttheads with JUST an Iris Pro and no nVidia.

binarysmurf posted:

Goons,

I'm getting prompted to install 12.5 on my next restart. Thing is, I'm running 12.4 via OCLP and it's explicitly verboten to install 12.5 a.t.m as the Nvidia drivers are broken.

How do I tell software update to 'forget' the 12.5 update download so my Mac won't attempt to update after the next reboot and disappear up its own rear end?

Where does software update store these downloads? I've just unchecked all the 'auto-download' and 'autoupdate' boxes. I could just delete the download.

Using the command line is not a problem. Input appreciated.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can’t seem to find it now but months ago someone recommended a program that would let you edit audio as if it were a text file.

Does anyone remember what it was called?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

I can’t seem to find it now but months ago someone recommended a program that would let you edit audio as if it were a text file.

Does anyone remember what it was called?

Descript?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hmmm I can’t remember if that’s it but that looks great! If anyone has another one I’d be interested as well!