Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I understand not delivering on the persistent universe, that's a super clusterfuck. But what about Squadron 42? Like I said, I don't think that guy was lying when he said he'd played through most of it, I just think they scrapped it. Is Chris Roberts so obsessed with mess halls that everything has to be thrown out to just get that part right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I think the funny thing for me is that most of my colleagues and developers I know wouldn't even be happy working in that kind of environment. They like to see a finished product and aim to make it perfect within the timeframe they have. That's kind of the fun part of development.

If everything they worked on didn't matter, nobody coordinated, and they saw people just doing weird stuff "just because" they would be disillusioned.

I've worked on projects that have dragged on much longer than initially expected and it is not fun for anyone involved. On our side as the company delivering software/hardware because it got very tedious to work on the same project for so many years and still not be done and of course our customer did not enjoy missing their deadlines and having to keep people on the project longer than expected. Ultimately it wasn't one sides fault as it involved changing requirements (sound familiar??) but neither side enjoyed it.

People like to work on something to completion, it can get disorienting and unsatisfying to work on something for so long and still not complete it. There may be people at CIG who have worked their entire careers 5+ years without ever having completed a single game and I can't imagine that feels great.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lammasu posted:

I understand not delivering on the persistent universe, that's a super clusterfuck. But what about Squadron 42? Like I said, I don't think that guy was lying when he said he'd played through most of it, I just think they scrapped it. Is Chris Roberts so obsessed with mess halls that everything has to be thrown out to just get that part right?

Given how little info they release, you can only really speculate about SQ42. But based on what I've seen, I think SQ42 is just as unlikely to see a final release. There's a whole bunch of different factors.

First off, the game is already paid for by the majority of people that are interested in it. I think it's possible some at CIG are deluded enough to think a ton of people outside the core fanbase will actually buy it, but if that was true, we'd have seen a much stronger marketing push in recent years. Since they're likely not going to get any new sales, you then have to consider the fact that most of the current SC population doesn't even want the game at this point. They're invested in the PU and honestly don't really care that much about a solo campaign. Some might still say they want it, but given they've going to continue spending thousands of dollars and hours on the PU and maybe ~10 hours and $0 more dollars on SQ42, that doesn't mean much. More and more are even outright stating they'd prefer it just be cancelled and that effort directed towards the PU.

It also won't get finished because of the DNF cycle of restarting development over and over. They start going down one path, maybe bring in some outside contractors, code and build away for a few years, and then by the time they've hit some milestones, the contractors have long since left, the more senior devs have cycled out for better jobs or more important roles at CIG (the PU, of course), the technology in the PU has changed so much that nothing is compatible with what they're building, and Chris has lost interest and just let the project flounder directionless for a while. And then Chris will come in and get involved again, realize nothing is workable and all they have is a mountain of technical debt being chipped away at by clueless newbie devs, and the best course of action is to throw it all away and start fresh. Again and again.

You can see this by looking at the SQ42 roadmaps from years past. Even give how much they lie and how little info they release now, they were clearly further along in content development in the past than they are now. A lot must have been scrapped.

It would be smartest just to cancel it. If they actually release it, if it's lovely, it would be a huge black eye for CIG and waver the dedication of the fans. If they actually manage to produce a good game, the effort put into it STILL wouldn't produce the same sales that just building a few new ships in the PU would. The only way it'd actually work is if they made literally the best game ever that outdoes COD on every level and is a must have for the entire PC gaming community... And I think even the hardest core CIG fanboys know that's not happening.

Chris will never cancel it though. Too much of his ego is wrapped up in it, and it's his only opportunity to play at being a director again and pay celebrities to be his friend. But I don't see it releasing either. I think perpetual development is its fate.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 28, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whats the modding scene like for this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Given how little info they release, you can only really speculate about SQ42. But based on what I've seen, I think SQ42 is just as unlikely to see a final release. There's a whole bunch of different factors.

First off, the game is already paid for by the majority of people that are interested in it. I think it's possible some at CIG are deluded enough to think a ton of people outside the core fanbase will actually buy it, but if that was true, we'd have seen a much stronger marketing push in recent years. Since they're likely not going to get any new sales, you then have to consider the fact that most of the current SC population doesn't even want the game at this point. They're invested in the PU and honestly don't really care that much about a solo campaign. Some might still say they want it, but given they've going to continue spending thousands of dollars and hours on the PU and maybe ~10 hours and $0 more dollars on SQ42, that doesn't mean much. More and more are even outright stating they'd prefer it just be cancelled and that effort directed towards the PU.

It always won't get finished because of the DNF cycle of restarting development over and over. They start going down one path, maybe bring in some outside contractors, code and build away for a few years, and then by the time they've hit some milestones, the contractors have long since left, the more senior devs have cycled out for better jobs or more important roles at CIG (the PU, of course), the technology in the PU has changed so much that nothing is compatible with what they're building, and Chris has lost interest and just let the project flounder directionless for a while. And then Chris will come in and get involved again, realize nothing is workable and all they have is a mountain of technical debt being chipped away at by clueless newbie devs, and the best course of action is to throw it all away and start fresh. Again and again.

You can see this by looking at the SQ42 roadmaps from years past. Even give how much they lie and how little info they release now, they were clearly further along in content development in the past than they are now. A lot must have been scrapped.

It would be smartest just to cancel it. If they actually release it, if it's lovely, it would be a huge black eye for CIG and waver the dedication of the fans. If they actually manage to produce a good game, the effort put into it STILL wouldn't produce the same sales that just building a few new ships in the PU would. The only way it'd actually work is if they made literally the best game ever that outdoes COD on every level and is a must have for the entire PC gaming community... And I think even the hardest core CIG fanboys know that's not happening.

Chris will never cancel it though. Too much of his ego is wrapped up in it, and it's his only opportunity to play at being a director again and pay celebrities to be his friend. But I don't see it releasing either. I think perpetual development is its fate.

wow. really put it all in perspective thanks. and as a side note many lols had by this goon at this run down. thanks again

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Lammasu posted:

He was definitely lying, but you're also definitely right that they have probably thrown out at least an entire gamesworth (1gW) of material.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's no way the game was ever anywhere near "mostly" done. The roadmaps never showed them anywhere close to that. Way less than half of the levels were ever actually at a playable state, and the current non-roadmap doesn't suggest they're anywhere near that now - and if they were, they'd be showing off, well, SOMETHING instead of that one pathetic sizzle reel from a few years or so ago.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It would be smartest just to cancel it. If they actually release it, if it's lovely, it would be a huge black eye for CIG and waver the dedication of the fans.

Eh, no. They would rave about how amazing it is, post edited cinematic footage from their amazing gameplay (cutting off the crashes and the lovely parts), and call it "incredibly promising" because of course it would be the Prologue or Chapter 1 or whatever and not the full thing. As for the bad press, well duh, haters will be haters, but on r/sc or spectrum, they know better, as the massive increase in the funding tracker will clearly demonstrate.

Crobear could poo poo in their mouth, they'd call it Tier 0 Chocolate Fondant. :discourse:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mmm, I dunno. I think it's possible that SQ42 being an utter shitpile is the ONE thing that would shake citizens' belief. But I also think they'll never, ever release it so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to be proven right or wrong :shrug:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Duke Nukem Forever was released 11 years ago, in 2011.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Squadron 42 is totally finish and ready to be released. The hold up is that they are waiting on their penthouse nightclub/bar in Manchester to be finish so they can have a release party.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

whats the modding scene like for this

The best, most prolific modding scene known to gaming. Since the base product is just dreams.txt, anyone can insert or modify their own dreams.txt! Truly Chris's genius is shining through.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You can totally still buy the modding manual for $10 that will totally be available when private servers are a thing that will totally happen! https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Add-Ons/Engineering-Manual-For-Modders-Digital

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no way the game was ever anywhere near "mostly" done. The roadmaps never showed them anywhere close to that. Way less than half of the levels were ever actually at a playable state, and the current non-roadmap doesn't suggest they're anywhere near that now - and if they were, they'd be showing off, well, SOMETHING instead of that one pathetic sizzle reel from a few years or so ago.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I think they could have finished S42 at some point, if they had managed to abandon the dumb loving idea that it would be interconnected with Star Citizen. But they were never going to do that, because Chris never had a dumb idea that he didn't insist upon forcing onto a team, and also because they've made pretty good use of S42 as a stalking horse during their perpetual fundraising. "Oh, the reason you can't see progress on Star Citizen is because we don't want to spoil things for Squadron 42!" and "It's totally okay for Star Citizen's roadmap to just stop abruptly for most of the year, because they're probably all-hands-on-deck getting Squadron 42 finished, and all that work will transfer seamlessly into Star Citizen when it's done!" and other nonsense helps keep the heat off.

Between the hopeless and hapless task of trying to get a single player game out of a hacked-together CryEngine monstrosity that somehow has to also be Star Citizen at the same time and The Mess Hall Scene, there's no chance that they're anywhere near something that's complete, let alone playable.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e: wrong thread

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Keep in mind, "played through the game" has no legal exact meaning. It can mean that they had some sort of game engine that had some sort of LUA scripts running that would load a sequence of placeholder environments when the noclip player entered certain triggers. Doesn't mean any actual gameplay has been even started to be implemented.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Ok I am a thread regular and still haven't figured out, what the hell is the mess hall scene

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Time_pants posted:

He was definitely lying, but you're also definitely right that they have probably thrown out at least an entire gamesworth (1gW) of material.

I think the closest they got was prototype missions which they already showed off, the script, and a bunch of random motion capture scenes they hoped to splice together into something but underestimated how hard it would actually be in reality.

The complete lack of planning ahead before Chris jumped into motion capture with real actors was a major contributor to failure.

I bet it's safe to say they [i]recorded all or most of the scenes[i], but only a tiny fraction of them got put in the engine and even less were "completed" before the whole game changed direction or there was a skeleton change that invalided it all.

I'm also willing to bet that the capture they did get was half assed as well. For example I don't think Gillian Anderson is an Andy Serkis of being a cgi character, so a lot of the footage was probably trash because he didn't record with motion capture actors familiar with the tools and went right for named talent who were out of their depth already.

They have amassed a games worth of what is effectively garbage. And since CR has horrible adhd there's nothing from the past he can see through to the end so it's all wasted work anyway.

The only hope they had was if they could make the part they record be there final piece that was usable, and that only happens if they used real actors and fmv.

I still believe we'll see Sq404 at some point, but it will be like 40 minutes of half-asses 3D cinematic and about 20 minutes of actually playing the game (being a camera doesn't count).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, I agree with that.

I think they could have finished S42 at some point, if they had managed to abandon the dumb loving idea that it would be interconnected with Star Citizen. But they were never going to do that, because Chris never had a dumb idea that he didn't insist upon forcing onto a team, and also because they've made pretty good use of S42 as a stalking horse during their perpetual fundraising. "Oh, the reason you can't see progress on Star Citizen is because we don't want to spoil things for Squadron 42!" and "It's totally okay for Star Citizen's roadmap to just stop abruptly for most of the year, because they're probably all-hands-on-deck getting Squadron 42 finished, and all that work will transfer seamlessly into Star Citizen when it's done!" and other nonsense helps keep the heat off.

Between the hopeless and hapless task of trying to get a single player game out of a hacked-together CryEngine monstrosity that somehow has to also be Star Citizen at the same time and The Mess Hall Scene, there's no chance that they're anywhere near something that's complete, let alone playable.

All true, but you could really boil it down to this: SQ42 would be finished at some point if Chris Roberts were not the one in charge.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Ok I am a thread regular and still haven't figured out, what the hell is the mess hall scene

It's a singular in-engine, walk-around setpeice cutscene in SQ42 that has been given an ABSURD amount of developer + artist attention. AI routines for sitting and eating, realistic food and utensils, huge amounts mocapped animations for background NPCs, etc. It keeps coming up over and over again in the updates even today, and many citizens will claim (like the bartender AI) it's because it's really a test bed for all those things and once they finish it, they'll implement all the things they created and learned to the rest of the project.

Of course the actual result is they've spent all that time on a scene that players will experience for a few minutes at best and will not care if it's just canned animations and stock assets or not.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 29, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mmm, I dunno. I think it's possible that SQ42 being an utter shitpile is the ONE thing that would shake citizens' belief. But I also think they'll never, ever release it so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to be proven right or wrong :shrug:

I don't think this is the case actually. I think there's a big group of people who:
1: don't believe sq404 is CRs big focus and they believe he's dedicated to SC
2: believe sq404 is sucking resources that should be put into SC

I think Sq404 coming out and it being a huge disaster would have a huge traction of people who all say "well that sucked, please work on SC now! We forgive you because we don't even want this!"

The best possible thing would be if cig adheres to what they already told people was the plan, and they make part 2 and a part 3 and they just keep building single player bonfires nobody wants despite the game being trash.

That would be peak hubris and exactly what I'd expect, barring CR just checking out at any point or not being involved with the company anymore.

And really outside of giving orders to continue to screw any hope of progress up, I'm not sure how involved he even is anymore. Most likely he is bashing people in email and zoom calls from hotels all across the globe as he enjoys a permanent vacation.

We already know Sandi is dedicated to making indie movies as hard as possible.

I don't think either one of them really cares about SC or sq404 outside of collecting money indefinitely to fund their new charmed lives.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Titanic posted:

I don't think either one of them really cares about SC or sq404 outside of collecting money indefinitely to fund their new charmed lives.

I think Chris Roberts does care about it as his proof that he really CAN direct a hollywood movie.

... Or he DID care about it, anyway. I'm not sure he even cares about Star Citizen as a whole at this point.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is the scene that has been on CIGs forecast for about 4 years now I think.

This is where NPCs sit, talk, eat, cook for each other, order food they want, get and use silverware objects, finish their food while chatting, then get up and put their trays and silverware away and maybe go play the arcade game there, where they can win and lose and have different reactions based off of how they play.

This single scene has been what cig talks about in many of their updates, and they seem unable to get past it. It has become something of a joke because of how absurd it is and how long cig has spent making it.

And despite years of working on it, it probably won't look nearly as good as what was in the last of us 2 when you walked through the cafeteria.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think Chris Roberts does care about it as his proof that he really CAN direct a hollywood movie.

... Or he DID care about it, anyway. I'm not sure he even cares about Star Citizen as a whole at this point.

:agreed:

I think at one point he saw it as his way to break in. Now I think he's just back to trying to grow a digital art studio to be the next ILM or something.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

It's where Chris meets with Ripley to eat a plate of Space Eggs No 7, before slamming down his tray, bracing one leg on a bench, and giving a rousing speech about coming home dead for those that are still alive.

Once he's strapped on the last of his mechanical armour, and thrown an 80s softdrink at an 80s bin, he runs out to do battle, with the fascist insects of his mind.

It's just a cinema trope he's been trying to bring to full fidelity for nearly a decade. For SQ42. Currently they're working on the cutlery.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This doesn't explain it. But it also does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKhBrT6fh7w&t=213s

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AmazingEthicalArmednylonshrimp-mobile.mp4

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Popete posted:

I've worked on projects that have dragged on much longer than initially expected and it is not fun for anyone involved. On our side as the company delivering software/hardware because it got very tedious to work on the same project for so many years and still not be done and of course our customer did not enjoy missing their deadlines and having to keep people on the project longer than expected. Ultimately it wasn't one sides fault as it involved changing requirements (sound familiar??) but neither side enjoyed it.

People like to work on something to completion, it can get disorienting and unsatisfying to work on something for so long and still not complete it. There may be people at CIG who have worked their entire careers 5+ years without ever having completed a single game and I can't imagine that feels great.

Its also pretty lovely for your resume. Employers like to see stuff that shipped.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Titanic posted:

I think the closest they got was prototype missions which they already showed off, the script, and a bunch of random motion capture scenes they hoped to splice together into something but underestimated how hard it would actually be in reality.

The complete lack of planning ahead before Chris jumped into motion capture with real actors was a major contributor to failure.

I bet it's safe to say they [i]recorded all or most of the scenes[i], but only a tiny fraction of them got put in the engine and even less were "completed" before the whole game changed direction or there was a skeleton change that invalided it all.

I'm also willing to bet that the capture they did get was half assed as well. For example I don't think Gillian Anderson is an Andy Serkis of being a cgi character, so a lot of the footage was probably trash because he didn't record with motion capture actors familiar with the tools and went right for named talent who were out of their depth already.

They have amassed a games worth of what is effectively garbage. And since CR has horrible adhd there's nothing from the past he can see through to the end so it's all wasted work anyway.

The only hope they had was if they could make the part they record be there final piece that was usable, and that only happens if they used real actors and fmv.

I still believe we'll see Sq404 at some point, but it will be like 40 minutes of half-asses 3D cinematic and about 20 minutes of actually playing the game (being a camera doesn't count).

this. i mean. its truly asshatted how much theyve cocked this up tbh.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Post-wipe is genuinely my favorite part of the entire star citizen "game" "experience" -- it puts the basic packages players back to square one, and we're the only ones with something to do or accomplish.

The whales just log back in and have their end-game ships already waiting for them, same as it ever was. And they may ask themselves -- how did I get here?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

They let the years go by, like water under a bridge.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's funny how many famous nerd icons they have, Scully from xfiles, the Witcher guy, the onion knight from GOT.

Jul 20, 2006
We heard you like RIVER.

Well hold on to your hats, you're going to love RIVERS!

https://youtu.be/MVtl2ErwpxI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing about rivers is that they generally occur inside, and are usually the center of, massive geographical features called flood plains, so all the ones they're generating look weird because they're not actually modelling any of the large scale features, they're just painting a little groove on a heightmap at random.

Pretty sure I saw a few in that video that are somehow running along the tops of ridgelines which isn't how water works.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sandweed posted:

It's funny how many famous nerd icons they have, Scully from xfiles, the Witcher guy, the onion knight from GOT.

Given how bad of a performance they got out of Oldman where he was doing this weird weak and wheezy voice for the speech, I really want to hear how bad of a performance they got out of everyone else

except sandi, she's probably just bad in a boring way

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

By the time SQ54 comes out all of the actors in it will be dead.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Sandweed posted:

By the time SQ54 comes out all of the actors in it will be dead.

That Tweet is so old Spoony has started to get better.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lammasu posted:

That Tweet is so old Spoony has started to get better.

gently caress no he doesn't
Oh, he's actually less crazy on social media now

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 29, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

gently caress no he doesn't
Oh, he's actually less crazy on social media now

And with strange aeons even death may die

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Like he's actually not doom posting and getting interested in some media again.

Oh nevermind, he thinks Disco Elysium is boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Like he's actually not doom posting and getting interested in some media again.

Oh nevermind, he thinks Disco Elysium is boring

I can’t imagine how brain dead you’d have to be to find it boring. I just finished my eighth playthrough, it’s a masterpiece