Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Darox posted:

Finisher was a really cool ability to discover but then I tried the Mist Walkers and discovered the +1 damage boost also applies to self damage, which lead to the Jet not being able to attack without dying on the last turn and ruined a mission for me.

Tying into the above discussion on Hazard Mech healing, if the Mist Walker's Jet ends its attack in a square with smoke, it'll absorb it and heal up even if the self-damage would have been lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rosalie_A posted:

Tying into the above discussion on Hazard Mech healing, if the Mist Walker's Jet ends its attack in a square with smoke, it'll absorb it and heal up even if the self-damage would have been lethal.

I absolutely did this when I did four islands with the mistwalkers. I had the dude that gets boost on kill with a level up that let him start boosted and then rolled Kai to boot so I was basically running around with +1 damage on my combat units the whole game. My plane was always sitting on 1 health, but that doesn't matter if the monsters are all getting one shot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you need to enable any advanced content to start unlocking the new pilots?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Like many, Kai is so useful because they never get damaged if you wipe everyone out first. Most weapons's + damage skills are 2 or 3 cores, so having what's effectively 6-9 extra cores at the start of the battle smooths things out significantly.

I had them go "A time pod. You go get it." when a pod landed, then "I can't believe you made me get this." when I had them pick it up :haw:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One thing that annoys me about cataclysm is that since Yeet Mech can't fly all those holes youre digging around the map can become impassible for him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Just put Prospero in there and plug him in.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I just tried out a Blitzkrieg run on Unfair difficulty and uhhh yup turns out when the difficulty comes from the quantity of the vek, having Silica doubly vaporizing everything in sight makes for an easy time, not helped by finding a Technician Archimedes and a Kai with +1 Mech Reactor. Also Silica had Adrenaline and Skilled, so he would routinely get like 9 move (not that I even noticed, since standing still and attacking twice was almost always the best option).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I lost my drat save data and while I don't mind getting it back the legitimate way, is there any non-loving-annoying way to get the hidden pilots back?

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Pretty sure you can unlock all the pilots using the console commands.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

your profile data is in plain text, just fire up notepad and go add them back

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

RoboCicero posted:

Like many, Kai is so useful because they never get damaged if you wipe everyone out first. Most weapons's + damage skills are 2 or 3 cores, so having what's effectively 6-9 extra cores at the start of the battle smooths things out significantly.

I had them go "A time pod. You go get it." when a pod landed, then "I can't believe you made me get this." when I had them pick it up :haw:

Obvious choice but I think she is hands down the best pilot in the game now with Morgan Lejeune 2nd. Especially on Cataclysm and Arachnophiles where you want to be activating the special on-kill effects as much as possible and a near-permanently boosted mech will give you a much wider range of options to use them.
Yeah I think it's very easy to avoid mech damage anyway
Though there's still some mechs where a different pilot is a better choice to negate self-damage effects or whatever

Just finished my first Unfair run with Cataclysm / 4 islands and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, though more than normal/hard there were a couple really tense turns where I had to spend a long time thinking things over or have to decide between failing an objective or taking grid damage etc.
It was a surprise to get an extra boss type enemy on every level on the 4th island and the last level, though didn't massively complicate things since the bosses in this game are mostly not really so bad. I assume goo and psion abomination aren't part of the list that can appear randomly on every level, I think if it turned out those were appearing on every level it would be better just to skip the 4th island.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Just finished my first Unfair run with Cataclysm / 4 islands and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, though more than normal/hard there were a couple really tense turns where I had to spend a long time thinking things over or have to decide between failing an objective or taking grid damage etc.
It was a surprise to get an extra boss type enemy on every level on the 4th island and the last level, though didn't massively complicate things since the bosses in this game are mostly not really so bad. I assume goo and psion abomination aren't part of the list that can appear randomly on every level, I think if it turned out those were appearing on every level it would be better just to skip the 4th island.

I've seen the Psion boss and the goo monster show up on regular runs, for whatever that's worth.

Edit: Ah, I understand now. Yeah, that would be dire.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Just had a funny moment. I managed to play a tricky turn with Cataclysm that I thought had worked out really well, only to realize that I'd totally spaced on the fact that the moves I'd done meant that my artillery mech was about to get grappled. Which it did. Directly into a pit. Oops, bye bye fully levelled pilot. Managed to finish off the rest of the mission with no serious problems at least.

Got back to mission select and my pilot is still there. I'd forgotten entirely that he'd gotten the Invulnerable trait on his first level up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Lemony posted:

Just had a funny moment. I managed to play a tricky turn with Cataclysm that I thought had worked out really well, only to realize that I'd totally spaced on the fact that the moves I'd done meant that my artillery mech was about to get grappled. Which it did. Directly into a pit. Oops, bye bye fully levelled pilot. Managed to finish off the rest of the mission with no serious problems at least.

Got back to mission select and my pilot is still there. I'd forgotten entirely that he'd gotten the Invulnerable trait on his first level up.

It's such a bad skill, but it's great when you finish a mission and realize your dude is still alive and have a chuckle at it doing something.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

FoolyCharged posted:

It's such a bad skill, but it's great when you finish a mission and realize your dude is still alive and have a chuckle at it doing something.

I've always wanted to do a run with a invulnerable pilot and the self destruct button, and just have him blow up every mission. I don't think it would be good, but it would be very funny.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Scallop Eyes posted:

I've always wanted to do a run with a invulnerable pilot and the self destruct button, and just have him blow up every mission. I don't think it would be good, but it would be very funny.

Just use the Hazard Mechs:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lemony posted:

I had a perfect run go to pieces on the fourth island because I kept doing that. Not "I'm stuck" either, just things like thinking "I can pull that guy," going through the rest of my turn and then forgetting to actually pull it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scallop Eyes posted:

If you ever do that, be sure to name the pilot "Patrick".

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

chiasaur11 posted:

...J.K. Rowling?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Samovar posted:

...J.K. Rowling?

Gundam 00. There's a character named Patrick Colasour who always gets exploded and always survives.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chiasaur11 posted:

As a Canadian, I hear the name Patrick and think of how he just took out life insurance from Norwich Union.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I think I liked FTL even more but this game is still really high on my all-time list. The advanced edition update was a complete surprise to me so I'm looking forward to jumping back in.

I wish these people made more stuff. For whatever reason, they're so exactly my style that I've never run across a suggestion for similar games that really hit the mark.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Samovar posted:

...J.K. Rowling?

chiasaur11 posted:

Gundam 00. There's a character named Patrick Colasour who always gets exploded and always survives.

And here I am with a mind that jumped straight to IRA car bombs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I may have missed the point of "defense"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I had one thing I would change it would be that I don't really like the "last traveler" thing because short of intentionally handicapping yourself it's too easy to just keep bringing one absurdly powerful character in to every run. I wouldn't mind a bonus core or something if you won a previous run but I always feel like I'm kind of self-defeating if I don't keep my Kai who rolled +1 Reactor and Skilled around

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I don't see any issue.

The best defense is a good offense, after all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I like the +1 move on a dude with 2 hp and all global skills.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pod collecting

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
In other news like that it's funny when one of the seemingly useless abilities ends up saving your hide in an unexpected way.

I had a turn on the last unfair run where it seemed impossible and I was staring at it for a long time, the problem was one of the mechs was webbed and the other one didn't have enough movement to get where he needed to go. 3rd was OK but couldn't do enough on their own. I want to say it was like 2 vek were attacking the corporate tower and it seemed impossible to stop both of them.

Then looking at the pilots info I saw that the guy with not enough movement got the "masochist" trait that gives him more movement when not at full HP, so I had the webbed mech deliberately shoot him with a rocket and then suddenly he was able to run over and attack the enemy he couldn't reach before :rolleyes:

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Is there a mod that lets you pick 3 starting pilots?
Quick google search didn't bring anything up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man, I did a Hazard Mech run and found out something fun. The +mov on kill level up stacks and doesn't have a cap.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
How does the Engineering Dropout achievement actually work? It says you can't power a weapon modification - does that mean equipping new weapons and boosting your health/move is ok?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I noticed that the final credit screen only lists your surviving pilots. So if one of my guys died heroically in the final battle, they don't get listed in the "thanks to the efforts of X". Absolutely unacceptable!!!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

How does the Engineering Dropout achievement actually work? It says you can't power a weapon modification - does that mean equipping new weapons and boosting your health/move is ok?

Yes, that's exactly right. Also "weapon" includes passives.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game for me is getting the perfect mod or loadout that will surely transform my run and then just beefing it immediately.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Ive found the Unfair is a little too coin-flippy, based on the first timepod and first island options, though in a way i suppose that is the point. Not sure how id improve it.

Unfair basically forces you to take grid hits, which is fine, but if your pilots don't get one of the boosted/good pilot skills you can't realistically expect a 3 or 4 island victory. My primary experience is with the cataclysm crew, so maybe with the arachnids or bombers its better. While on hard you can almost always eek out a 2 ,3, or 4-island victory if you want even with marginal weapons/skills/pilots.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Yeah I think unfair is correctly named at the mission level. The scaling is cranked up to a point where you fundamentally cannot win some scenarios if too many random chances go wrong for whatever squad you're fielding at the time.

I don't think it makes the overall game unfair, quite. Picking your missions becomes something to really think over based on your squad and grid state, instead of always going for the highest challenge/payoff. I've only played unfair with a few squads so there are probably some that fare worse, but most runs have felt just barely under control instead of full on impossible.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

So I just had a run where the Mistwalkers got the bonus damage for making vek block each other and bonus damage for making vek attack each other passives.

Mind control mech was living life to the fullest.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The passive that makes Vek take damage if they don't hit another unit with their attack is a lot of fun! Not sure if it carries its weight with Alpha vek, needing 2 cores, but still :haw:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
did you know that a vek falling into a chasm when there's still an explode-on-death psion in play will still explode? and did you know this will happen when the chasm is right next to a objective, and that the exploding vek will destroy the objective and lose you that bonus? and that you'll find this out when you've used your reset?

i gotta say i've been spoiled by slice & dice allowing you to undo all the way to the start of the turn. only being able to undo up to the point where someone fires a weapon is actually pretty annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

yeah a lot of times i've clicked "end turn" and then noticed a bee had flown to the back where i hadn't noticed and i could have dealt with it but i just didn't see it. too late to reset.

loving budget rear end time travelers.