Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CzarChasm posted:

To be fair, cereal back then was plain bran flakes, maybe corn. No cocoa, no sugar, not even a goddamn raisin. If that was all you could eat, I doubt your hog would be very active.

Grape-Nuts is just yeast and flour baked into a sheet and run through a coffee grinder.

All the nutrients a growing lad needs :geno:

e: lolling at whoever's job it was to sanitize and marketing-wash the story for this page https://www.grapenuts.com/our-story/

Kindly old C.W. Post and his down-home country kitchen packed with goodness

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ha ha my old lady self just going to eat all the Gowanus Canal fish until I’m a human thermometer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The specific idea John Harvey Kellogg had was that cereal needed to be as bland as possible to avoid inflaming people's passions, and that's what he served at his sanitarium. Grape Nuts were developed by a guy who had a stay at the sanitarium and decided he liked the cereal but it could be use some flavor, Charles William Post.

John Harvey Kellogg's brother, William Kieth Kellogg, was the guy who started the Kellogg's cereal company, and the brothers had a falling out over all the extra sugar and flavor added to the cereal as well as William Kieth Kellogg's financial success.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

teen witch posted:

Taco Bell would do gangbusters in Sweden and I’m floored as to why they aren’t in the Nordics. Svennetacos are not good.

Foreign fast food chains that aren't Burger King or McDonalds have a hard time establishing themselves in the Nordics. Pizza Hut for example tried in 2000 and lost millions.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SlothfulCobra posted:

The specific idea John Harvey Kellogg had was that cereal needed to be as bland as possible to avoid inflaming people's passions, and that's what he served at his sanitarium. Grape Nuts were developed by a guy who had a stay at the sanitarium and decided he liked the cereal but it could be use some flavor, Charles William Post.

John Harvey Kellogg's brother, William Kieth Kellogg, was the guy who started the Kellogg's cereal company, and the brothers had a falling out over all the extra sugar and flavor added to the cereal as well as William Kieth Kellogg's financial success.

At Kelloggerheads

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

That is the US. Having a "food culture" that is beyond garbage on every level all the while "well actually"-ing other countries about their own real food culture.

lmfao, you must be from some European culinary shithole like England where *literally* everything is stolen from other cultures.

Side note: BBQ is delicious and calling it "beyond garbage" will get you murdered in a not-insignificant potion of the southern US. Good luck with that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Alhazred posted:

Foreign fast food chains that aren't Burger King or McDonalds have a hard time establishing themselves in the Nordics. Pizza Hut for example tried in 2000 and lost millions.

How could Taco Bell or Pizza Hut have possibly won the franchise wars without international support?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Sweden needs a Gorbachev to bring it midgrade american pizza chains.

Although they do have Dominos, so it's probably more Pizza Hut being lame. Dominos is selling this abomination on Sweden's behalf.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

FFT posted:

Once you typed to this point you could have gone "oh, hmmmm" instead.

One of my neighborhood spots does absolutely amazing carrot tacos but we’re talking bigger chunks that have been blackened on a hot griddle as the main filling component, not raw shavings in the greenery. Had them yesterday, so good. Anyway try ordering the vegetarian taco options at more places, you might make some cool discoveries :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the busiest Dominos places in the world (by pure sales not per capita) is in Reykjavík.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Data Graham posted:

Grape-Nuts is just yeast and flour baked into a sheet and run through a coffee grinder.

All the nutrients a growing lad needs :geno:

If that's all you had to eat every morning, you'd start cranking it even more just for something better to wake up to each day.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

To be fair, cereal back then was plain bran flakes, maybe corn. No cocoa, no sugar, not even a goddamn raisin. If that was all you could eat, I doubt your hog would be very active."

Challenge accepted. Live updates on my OF.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
A lot of Mexican places use small, diced carrots in their rice. Never seen them in tacos, though.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Seen quite a few spicy pickled carrots served on the side of street tacos. Might just be a southwest thing though, I don’t tend to eat Mexican food when I travel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This post was made by meat stretchers gang

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Please, no meat stretching, ma'am

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I would probably go to town on that Turkey Dressing Bake, when I was still eating meat.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/therichardpetty/status/1552394531592699907

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lmao goddamn, it's like they condensed cliched middle American food tastes down into their purest form

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

all it needs is some nice mater slices

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lmao goddamn, it's like they condensed cliched middle American food tastes down into their purest form

"Middle American" with that much black pepper? Never. That's like nuclear heat to their delicate palates.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was thinking “smokers from the 50s”

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

"Middle American" with that much black pepper? Never. That's like nuclear heat to their delicate palates.

Richard Petty’s always been a risk taker.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I guess it's the rarer one, but I feel like there are a couple specific contrasting food tastes:
- No seasoning
- Black pepper is the only seasoning, but only preground and dumped on top of the final dish

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lovely potatoes

https://twitter.com/crevicedwelling/status/1552817604494082053?s=20&t=pg8d-Q8caj4KIUY3UJUwTw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*preground at least 12 years prior and kept in an unsealed widemouth jar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

JGdmn posted:

Seen quite a few spicy pickled carrots served on the side of street tacos. Might just be a southwest thing though, I don’t tend to eat Mexican food when I travel.

Escabeche is a very common side dish with tacos - pickled jalapenos with carrot, onion, and cauliflower generally, sometimes other stuff in there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know they sometimes have eyes, but this is ridiculous!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

*preground at least 12 years prior and kept in an unsealed widemouth jar

It's old enough that it's made of some type of metal and beginning to rust

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Escabeche is a very common side dish with tacos - pickled jalapenos with carrot, onion, and cauliflower generally, sometimes other stuff in there.

don’t make me tap the sign

AlbieQuirky posted:

:ese: pay no attention to the escabeche behind the curtain

or the picadillo

Zipperelli. posted:

[the pepper jar is] old enough that it's made of some type of metal and beginning to rust

it cost 37 cents from a supermarket chain that went out of business in the Ford administration

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I had no idea that Richard Petty was still alive, but all those years of knocking back Goody’s Headache Powder must have killed his taste buds

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A piece of buttered sourdough toast with some fresh-ground pepper on the top is a delightful snack.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kenning posted:

A piece of buttered sourdough toast with some fresh-ground pepper on the top is a delightful snack.
Not to disagree, but:

Not pictured: "some" "fresh-ground" pepper

Also I hope you're using salted butter

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Every time I happen to read up on it I'm amazed how much of a documentary Road to Wellville was all over again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CzarChasm posted:

What a waste that was. Not weird enough to be completely uniquely off-putting, not interesting enough to bother buying a second bottle. Carbonated "it's OK"

It's like sometime in the recent past I had been eating cotton candy, but at that moment, I was drinking a Coke.

Friend of mine put it best that Coke flavors tend to be flavor COKE, whereas Pepsi flavors tend to be FLAVOR Pepsi.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

This post was made by meat stretchers gang

Which step in the depicted process caused the loose corn to materialize

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

FFT posted:

Not to disagree, but:

Not pictured: "some" "fresh-ground" pepper

Also I hope you're using salted butter

Wow flashbacks to when I would be starving after school and we never had any food so it was mayonnaise and whatever pre-ground pepper we had on some semi-stale bread as a sandwich. Good times.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

steinrokkan posted:

Which step in the depicted process caused the loose corn to materialize

That just used to happen back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zipperelli. posted:

lmfao, you must be from some European culinary shithole like England where *literally* everything is stolen from other cultures.

Side note: BBQ is delicious and calling it "beyond garbage" will get you murdered in a not-insignificant potion of the southern US. Good luck with that.

bbq is all over the world though, and the american version frankly is not even close to the best version of it