Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Clawtopsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQ9fxjzkfs

This is the dialogue I'm referring to? Edelgard offers Petra the chance to return home, and Petra says she won't turncoat a second time. Bernie is simply scared, and Edelgard offers her pleasant advice. Dorothea says "I fought and I lost and have no excuses". Edelgard responds she's taking her home.

e: Over the course of the game, in camp, all the characters can expand on why they're remaining. Face to face with Edelgard, it feels kind of weak.
-I like Petra's response, TBH. Switching sides once can be seen as a political move & choosing the winning side for her kingdom. Switching sides again would make herself, and by extension Brighid, seem very weak. (ie: both that they're ultimately subservient to the empire and that they're cowardly cowards who coward and cannot be trusted.)
-I thought Bernie/Edelgard was a cute ship in houses, (though not as great as Edeleth) so Edelgard's dialogue having her gently chastise her to take care of herself while she's fighting her is very cute. Now I want to see Edelgard kabedon her, for the sake of yuri. Even on Dimitri's route, Edelgard is still the best
-Dorothea... :(. I'm gonna go ahead and justify it as "if she turns coat in the middle of the battlefield, she knows she'll likely be executed immediately in the event of Faerghus winning" - her only chance to safely go home is for Edelgard to actually beat her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Kind of? At this point, Edelgard had already promised Brigid autonomy. Petra is a smart woman. She's throwing her lot in with the people who slapped seven shades of poo poo out of her and told her to fight for them if she didn't want to die versus the person who has already, unconditionally, promised that Brigid will be free regardless of her support in the present conflict. I don't think anyone would really begrudge her for going "Yes, I was not siding with my captors again, especially captors who have a 'fun' history with nearby native populations"

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 28, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

Kind of? At this point, Edelgard had already promised Brigid autonomy. Petra is a smart woman. She's throwing her lot in with the people who slapped seven shades of poo poo out of her and told her to fight for them if she didn't want to die versus the person who has already, unconditionally, promised that Brigid will be free regardless of her support in the present conflict. I don't think anyone would really begrudge her for going "Yes, I was not siding with my captors again, especially captors who have a 'fun' history with nearby native populations"

Edelgard literally has a scene in response to Petra's betrayal where she says 'Hubert, we will have to reconsider our treatment of Brigid' with dark music swell behind it, like she's gonna go subjugate Brigid for its queen daring not to side with her.

The way Petra discusses the empire on both non SB routes makes it clear Brigid is not already free, since her camp convos (and certain supports like dedue) talk about how edelgard and the empire still hold Brigid down and she fights to free them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's real thoughtful of the game that whoever you don't side with always turns out to be the bad guy and whoever you do side with is always the good guy

would be rather hosed up if this wasn't the case i think

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Obviously the only way to get a perfect ending is both Shez and Byleth join Garreg Mach.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

it's real thoughtful of the game that whoever you don't side with always turns out to be the bad guy and whoever you do side with is always the good guy

would be rather hosed up if this wasn't the case i think

it's obviously shez's cooking that's the difference, and if everyone just sat down for a meal this would all be a solved issue across the board

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Shez was going to cook a delicious Albinean soufflé for Empress Edelgard but regrettably rolled a Bad on the cooking result and Edie came down with a nasty case of the megalomanias

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Edelgard literally has a scene in response to Petra's betrayal where she says 'Hubert, we will have to reconsider our treatment of Brigid' with dark music swell behind it, like she's gonna go subjugate Brigid for its queen daring not to side with her.

The way Petra discusses the empire on both non SB routes makes it clear Brigid is not already free, since her camp convos (and certain supports like dedue) talk about how edelgard and the empire still hold Brigid down and she fights to free them.

Oh, word? She has to reconsider her stance on Brigid when their Queen has just been taken captive by her geopolitical enemies, and then chooses to fight for them against Adrestia? Further, you've omitted that the preceding lines of dialogue are Monica fearing that the Kingdom plans to make an ally of Brigid. There's no dramatic music swell as Edelgard delivers her lines, and her overall tone is sorrowful. In fact, I seem to recall that if you kill Petra in Azure Gleam, Edelgard's response is conciliatory towards Brigid.

e: It's not even "[her] treatment of Brigid". It's "Yes, it's likely [Petra] won't be coming back. Our stance towards Brigid will require... Reconsideration." as she looks and sounds crestfallen.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 28, 2022

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

crestfallen is a pun btw, i would like appreciation for it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I would find it hard to trust the Empire or Faregus about the fate of a client state. Of course this being the game it is the new Emperor and King are shown as being honorable and good people that will do right by their allies. But regardless Petra's status as Queen of a conquered nation who is seemingly fully on board with the protagonist of whichever route you've recruited her on is always going to feel very shaky.

E: But y'know like several things in 3H you kinda just got to try and get on board with it and it mostly works.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Petra fighting in the war at all is already a stretch to believe, given that her death would be a dramatic setback for the stability of Brigid. They justify it in game enough that I'm ok with it, but that means I don't think it's any more of a stretch that she might then decide to fight against the Empire. And I mean, that line from Edelgard is definitely ominous. Like, I love her but she's still an imperial arch-villain a lot of the time! In fact, that's why I love her! She says ominous evil poo poo like drowning Fodlan in blood, and it rules.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I just find the rhetoric of "Edelgard is a ruthless pragmatist that will turn The Boot on her neighbors in the sake of winning" to be a very silly statement in the Fire Emblem Three Hopes game when the fist action she takes is to throw her powerful allies in the loving dumpster to save one gay girl.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I always just took that as a "We might have to guard against a pincer attack" because having a possible enemy nation, or at least one whose leader is fighting against you on the other side of your nation is not a great thing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

But that's a pragmatic decision! She even talks about it in her support with Monica -- she was willing to let Monica die if she thought it would help further her aims, but she decided that it wouldn't. I love that about her!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Clawtopsy posted:

I just find the rhetoric of "Edelgard is a ruthless pragmatist that will turn The Boot on her neighbors in the sake of winning" to be a very silly statement in the Fire Emblem Three Hopes game when the fist action she takes is to throw her powerful allies in the loving dumpster to save one gay girl.

She literally tells Monica she only saved her because she calculated that having the Ochs family on her side would ultimately help her plan, and that she was more than willing to leave Monica to die a terrible death if the math had fallen the other way.

And this is in the route where she is the protagonist, so it's not a sake of 'wow they sure make the antagonist seem evil'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

It turns out a little better for her than if she hadn't done that tbh. So frankly it appears to have been an incredibly calculated and cunningly planned mission.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I mean I'd also throw Monica under the bus if I had a cabal of evil wizards watching my every step, and the same wizards are controlling the empire secretly.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

She literally tells Monica she only saved her because she calculated that having the Ochs family on her side would ultimately help her plan, and that she was more than willing to leave Monica to die a terrible death if the math had fallen the other way.

And this is in the route where she is the protagonist, so it's not a sake of 'wow they sure make the antagonist seem evil'

If you are referring to the Edelgard/Monica B support, House Ochs isn't mentioned at all? Edelgard says that, if the opportunity hadn't presented itself, she would have sacrificed Monica. There's no mention of any sort of grim arithmetic, but the presented opportunity.

The text preceding the chapter is:

Edelgard: Well? What do you think? I believe there is a very good chance it will work.
Hubert: Perhaps, Lady Edelgard. But is that chance not outweighed by the danger of matters going awry? We have managed to walk the knife's edge so far, but what you are suggesting is open hostility. If they so much as catch wind of our intentions, things will go sideways very quickly.
Edelgard: Regardless, this is our last opportunity to save her. Frankly, it's a miracle we even have the chance.
Hubert: I thought you once proclaimed not to believe in miracles, Lady Edelgard.
Edelgard: And I don't—at least not the kind one has to sit around and wait for. But right now, everyone is exactly where we need them. Her, the bandits, the string-pullers...and the perfect instructor with the perfect mission. I'm going to make this miracle happen, and I will do so for our future.
Hubert: Hm. Then we'd best have a plan in place to finish the job in case they catch on. I expected you to burn a few bridges, but this plan would be akin to setting half the countryside on fire.
Edelgard: Which is exactly why I'm counting on you, Hubert. And why I'm grateful to have you by my side.

Edelgard is clearly throwing caution to the wind to save a single person now the opportunity has presented itself.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

In fact, arguably, the Adrestian warfront in Three Hopes is far more tenuous and messy without backing from TWSitD. You're constantly running back and forth putting out fires, and doing so more or less personally.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Edelgard always meant to destroy both the church and slithers, and she always knew she needed the help of one to defeat the other since she in truth only controls maybe half of the Empire’s armies and resources. And destroying one would give her the additional power she needed to destroy the other without help. So really her plan never really changed at all. In both games she sicks them on each other and then stabs the survivor in the back (in a good way). If anything Hopes version is the better move from cold calculus since it gave her full control of the empire’s resources much earlier and exposed the slithers to literally everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah it's hard not to see getting rid of the Slithers early as anything but a huge win for Edie over how Houses goes. Like, yeah getting rid of the Slithers isn't really something that happens in CF itself onscreen so maybe it turned out to be absolutely no problem at all in the end, but removing the evil secret society secretly running things from behind the scenes just feels like a very good move.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'll disagree on grounds that the Church is an institution, and the Slithers are a group. It's far, far easier to logistically destroy a group than something that's deeply interwoven into the fabric of society. In SB, Edelgard doesn't really deliberately destroy the Slithers. She gets a bunch of scalps, but it's all really tangential to her initial goal of war on the Church. Long-term, I'd say Crimson Flower is still a better outcome than Scarlet Blaze.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like she does a pretty good number on the church in SB tbh.

E: Also, just personally I think it is a pretty good end that Leicester's still around and Edie doesn't conquer the entire continent. It always felt really off to me when every route in Houses gets to the part where your squad is basically now ruling all 3 nations. Having only 1 state left always felt like a pretty lovely end to things honestly. Just don't like the vibes. So i'm happy with how in 3 Hopes you get some endings where alliances stay strong and it's not just one group conquering a bunch of other kingdoms. That's cool and good to me.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2022

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
You are forgetting that there isn't a real comprehensive ending in 3 hopes though. I don't think that peace would have lasted long because Claude and Edelguard are just too ambitious and don't trust each other. War would have broken out again over something eventually. If that ending wasn't so abrupt.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

Hunt11 posted:

Played it in handheld mode a lot and didn't notice any real drop.

OzFactor posted:

I only ever play in handheld mode and weirdly the only time I get any stuttering is running around camp. Battles have been totally smooth.

Thank you! I might go grab a copy of this in the near future if that's the case. I can't wait to have strong opinions about 3 Houses again.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I just finished my first playthrough with the golden deer and I thought it was good up until the end where it went from political planning and strategy then suddenly oh no evil guys, oh no Arval was bad all along, ok thats taken care of, oh no Rhea, the end. The end was literally "Claude proposed the end of the war but no one knows if it will end. It's still going on." and it felt like the entire story just fell apart at the end.

I was in it for Claude schemes and then the game decided I had enough.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
In the proper game I prefer to recruit everyone because it makes the ending more interesting. Obviously that doesn't count in this since the ending basically doesn't exist, but I didn't know that when I was playing.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It doesn't always feel that way when i'm playing them or seeing their supports.

Yea with the POSSIBLE exception of Ashe on Black Eagles (gonna say it again, everyone using the acronyms of the story names is totally meaningless to me) everyone seems way happy to be in the group. Not as happy as in the proper game but still fine. I guess the real reason for this is that they've not done supports for say "Marianne and Shez but Marianne is recruited by the Black Eagles" instead it's just "here's Shez and Marianne at B". Which makes sense! But does kinda torpedo the idea that they're miserable about being recruited.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I do enjoy how half way through azure gleam, Claude offers you a free booster pack of dudes for no particular reason, like just "here these guys suck you can have them. Don't tell them I said that though." and it's literally half his squad

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I still find it funny that the Ashen Wolves have no story significance, even on SB where Hapi has something in common with Edelgard she only exists for a single paralogue with her later on, so I imagine she has even less to work with on AG and GW.

That goes for the rest of them as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

On AG hapi continually just has camp conversations about whether Cornelia is who experimented on her or not, and how she doesn't wanna meet her. Then you kill Cornelia and she is like 'wow, that was definitely the person who made me like this, glad she's dead'

This is the only time any of them are even slightly tied into the plot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And despite all that Hapi has some great supports with Shez and is like, low key one of the best pairings for them, so imo it evens out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Judge Tesla posted:

I still find it funny that the Ashen Wolves have no story significance, even on SB where Hapi has something in common with Edelgard she only exists for a single paralogue with her later on, so I imagine she has even less to work with on AG and GW.

That goes for the rest of them as well.

Balthus gets more screentime on Golden Wildfire than half of the actual Deer class members because he's heavily tied in with Holst and Hilda.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Honestly don’t see why they didn’t just put Constance in the eagles, Balthus in the Deer, and Hapi in the Lions by default after the timeskip. Just say they showed up at some point in the last two years and let them be part of their respective houses peanut gallery. It’s not like even houses pretended they weren’t a “Each House gets a new student” dlc. Yuri’s trickier since he was kinda the church guy but there’s no church route this time around, and his supports weren’t all about one house like the others.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Because recruiting is fun

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Honestly don’t see why they didn’t just put Constance in the eagles, Balthus in the Deer, and Hapi in the Lions by default after the timeskip. Just say they showed up at some point in the last two years and let them be part of their respective houses peanut gallery. It’s not like even houses pretended they weren’t a “Each House gets a new student” dlc. Yuri’s trickier since he was kinda the church guy but there’s no church route this time around, and his supports weren’t all about one house like the others.
With how tied the Lions are to the Church in 3 Hopes, Yuri feels firmly the Azure Gleam Wolf in 3 Hopes (Dimitri, Sylvain and Seteth are all AG-exclusive Supports and Ashe is AG-primary), while Hapi becomes less Lion focused with her unique Edelgard paralogue and her Hubert supports.

Balthus is Deer, to the point of being more there than several actual Deer.
Yuri is Lion just from his Support list
Both Hapi and Constance aren't as set in stone, but feel more Eagle than anything (though admittedly to me most characters, even unrecruitable ones, feel like they should be Eagles)

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 29, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Both Coco and Hapi could fit in the Lions or Eagles, really. Coco is a graduate of the school of sorcery but also a fallen Empire noble, while Hapi is a victim of the slitherers, but of Cornelia specifically.

Of course they should both be in the Eagles because everyone should.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Shinji117 posted:

With how tied the Lions are to the Church in 3 Hopes, Yuri feels firmly the Azure Gleam Wolf in 3 Hopes (Dimitri, Sylvain and Seteth are all AG-exclusive Supports and Ashe is AG-primary), while Hapi becomes less Lion focused with her unique Edelgard paralogue and her Hubert supports.

Balthus is Deer, to the point of being more there than several actual Deer.
Yuri is Lion just from his Support list
Both Hapi and Constance aren't as set in stone, but feel more Eagle than anything (though admittedly to me most characters, even unrecruitable ones, feel like they should be Eagles)

Yeah but that’s because they weren’t just put in their “original” house. I’m thinking more how they were in houses, where they’re backstories were all pretty explicitly tied to one house and all their supports were in that house. They didn’t have to put them all in the game as wandering mercenary recruit-only characters who by definition can’t be integral to the group dynamic. They made room for Monica and Holst, why not the Wolves?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
they all had supports with multiple houses though, except Balthus who was deer only

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Coco is Black Eagle because her chemistry with Edelgard is amazing and she should marry Ferdinand.

Mercedes and Hapi are Black Eagles because they belong with Emile and Coco, too.

Also the fact that Ferdinand and Coco were childhood friends (or, well, it almost sounds like they were betrothed except for the Nuvelle incest tradition) and Constance was close enough friends with Mercedes that she met Emile, implies there is a non-zero percent chance that Ferdinand met Emile and never made the connection when he met Jeritza later. The mask works!! And also it’s very on brand for Ferdinand, who also apparemtly could not remember Dorothea. And Dimitri who couldn’t remember Edelgard.

Anime same face is a serious concern in Fodlan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Sudden Javelin posted:

they all had supports with multiple houses though, except Balthus who was deer only

A maximum of one (much like everyone had one or two cross house supports). And they even focus on exclusive characters. Constance is three Eagles including Edelgard and Jeritza and her only other being Jeritzas sister, while her entire backstory and motivation is about being an imperial noble. Hapi gets Ashe and exclusive Dimitri, and her entire life story consists of Dimitris life story followed by hanging underground for five years. And you already mentioned Balthus.