Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

neither of those is in Europe, although Wales is probably good to come back if it likes

Is Switzerland also not in Europe?

PHUO: Basically all economics is horseshit. Any attempt at large scale understanding seems to Dall apart and it'd be easier and more useful to use the entrails of cattle to predict the stock market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Is Switzerland also not in Europe?

Nah, not in any real sense. All the benefits, none of the commitments? That's, as they say in the island off the coast of Europe, shite. Switzerland and Norway should join the Union or gently caress off Lol at brits being like oi m8 we still count we still count tho.

Ideally Russia, Belarus, Moldova, and Ukraine would be in too but we aren't there yet.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Jul 28, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The EU is a loving joke.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It gave us the Euro as a currency though. Which give me hope of a US/Mexico/Canada team up to create the dollaro or pesar (which I think sounds way more futurey).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that. Only if the US annexes them both, then we can standardize the currency. Even thinking about using the same money that someone with a leaf for a flag used is repulsive.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah but the Mexican flag is totally badass so it kinda evens out

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
The timeline on the Amero got pushed way back when Biden pulled out of Afghanistan. Troops in occupied Iraq and Afghanistan allows for an ideal pincer attack on Iran. De facto (if not de jure) control of Iraqi and Iranian reserves would weaken petrostate Canada's position and force them to the table. Then it is just a matter of dictating terms to Mexico and, ideally, Cuba to complete manifest destiny as outlined by the Project for the New American Century and the Bilderburg Protocols.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah we can link up with mexico and Quebec. Mexico's got a cool flag and good food, Quebec has steak seasoning and bagels. Canada is just diet Minnesota it offers nothing to the American experience.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Oh, it'll be combined flags as well. I'm thinking a field of navy blue and like 200 stars with like 200 eagles fighting 200 snakes around 200bottles of syrup (or whatever the hell Canada decides they want besides some silly leaf).

Or just let a bunch of 4th grade classes design flags and pick one at random.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Amendment posted:

The timeline on the Amero got pushed way back when Biden pulled out of Afghanistan. Troops in occupied Iraq and Afghanistan allows for an ideal pincer attack on Iran. De facto (if not de jure) control of Iraqi and Iranian reserves would weaken petrostate Canada's position and force them to the table. Then it is just a matter of dictating terms to Mexico and, ideally, Cuba to complete manifest destiny as outlined by the Project for the New American Century and the Bilderburg Protocols.

Can you imagine how dumb bush feels talking about the new world order back in the day now that NAFTA's economic integration of the Americas starting with operation Jade Helm has been such a failure. It's hard to take the illuminati threat seriously when they keep getting owned

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ontopic phuo: the united states should offer statehood to every single territory, and moreover it should have offered statehood to all conquered territories in the past

why? so that I could visit japan without a passport at this very moment. more importantly so we stop using territories and allies as subordinates. it would have never happened, this is a lesbian Ainu Emperor counterfactual, I enjoy it

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really hosed thinking about pre columbian exchange Italian food. No tomatoes, what the hell did they eat

French cuisine is repurposed Italian/Lombard cuisine from when they put the Borgias on Peter's throne. The French were also slower to adopt new world produce due to geopolitical concerns about the Habsburgs so that gives us a pretty good view into more northern Italian cuisine.

Non-cream based dishes in the south were dominated by verjus and rose. Which makes sense, you've got the floral fruity elements of the tomato as well as the acidity and juicy nature covered. Non-panottoman Syrian cuisine is supposed to be the closest. Of course, places like the two Sicilies fit more neatly into panottoman cuisine so that should give you an idea.

Aside from the verjus (which is rare nowadays) there was also a lot of sorrel, often in the verjus.

There is an interesting historical progression where Romans used a fuckton of vinegar in everything. Way more than a modern palate would accept. And a fuckton of very bitter rue. So think like a grapefruit where "bitter + sour" is the dominant profile. That's rare nowadays. That transitioned to verjus+sorrel to just verjus until first lemons then tomatoes came onto the scene.

This obliquely ties into the "American food too sweet" discussion. Like, have you people been to Asia? Korea, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc all have wildly sweet food. And then there is South America. gently caress there is a lot of sugar to be found in food there.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

2nd Amendment posted:

There is an interesting historical progression where Romans used a fuckton of vinegar in everything. Way more than a modern palate would accept. And a fuckton of very bitter rue. So think like a grapefruit where "bitter + sour" is the dominant profile. That's rare nowadays. That transitioned to verjus+sorrel to just verjus until first lemons then tomatoes came onto the scene.

This obliquely ties into the "American food too sweet" discussion. Like, have you people been to Asia? Korea, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, etc all have wildly sweet food. And then there is South America. gently caress there is a lot of sugar to be found in food there.

Romans loved sweet so much they poisoned their wine with delicious lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhT7EkTgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52ULFqmPkw

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

2nd Amendment posted:

It's true that Korean food is my sworn foe.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Analytic Engine posted:

Romans loved sweet so much they poisoned their wine with delicious lead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhT7EkTgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52ULFqmPkw

This is also true, there is no contradiction.

I feel like lead should make a comeback as a traditional Aryan/European keto-friendly sweetener. Market it to white nationalists and let nature take its course.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Ohtori Akio posted:

It's true that Korean food is my sworn foe.

Reported for Japanese nationalism.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Korea might be in the running for worst cuisine in the world. I'll give British a lot of poo poo but I'd take a Yorkshire Pudding over Japchae any day. At least it's not piss shark I guess

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

Korea might be in the running for worst cuisine in the world. I'll give British a lot of poo poo but I'd take a Yorkshire Pudding over Japchae any day. At least it's not piss shark I guess

Being excessively northerly seems to be a death sentence for good food unfortunately.

I do have a semi-ok vegan jjajangmyeon recipe on tap but it's literally a chinese dish anyways so it hardly counts.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
My family ended up converting to Korean because of academic and daycare reasons. It's quite tastey (japchae is awesome) but gently caress, I get a lot of poo poo from the other moms because my dishes aren't sweet enough. PHUO: being a gay white atheist around a bunch of Korean Christian women is awkward as gently caress and I do not care for it. They do like my kimchi (the secret is a little bit of Dave's insanity).

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The secret for being an atheist in a Christian context is understanding that it's literally just social glue to 99% of people. The politics of their religion takes on the ambient politics in the room. If someone says 'god bless you' etc nod your head and say you too ma'am. If someone's an rear end in a top hat for something you did not choose [being gay] they were already gonna.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I mean, I obviously made it work. It actually helped that an ex of mine was raised Kwan Um (a proselytizing sect of Korean Zen) which helped because I knew some rituals to be respectfully Korean while also signaling I was outside the Christian faith and obviously not Korean. It helps that I look like their Jesus (with the physique of a Chinese Buddha).

It created a space where we could all respect each other, but it was still deeply othering.

Edit: Also, if the room is Christian, the nebulous "politics of the room" veer hard loving right. Christianity, especially Protestantism, is a vile death cult. Made worse when it is exported and then reimported. The worst elements of new convert zeal, old country nostalgia and new country anomie. It's a real bad scene. It's a real bad scene.

2nd Amendment has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Jul 29, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One of my best friends in high school was Korean and he insisted that I eat when I was at his house, but we never ate anything but brown rice. There was white rice too, but the first time I was at his house he said, "gotta keep it healthy and have the brown rice." It was like one of the three years of my life where I wasn't fat, too, and was playing 1-4 hours of basketball a day and could burn off anything. But I couldn't be rude, so I ate the brown rice. But in hindsight he was probably right. Maybe he was right about Jesus as well. Something for me to think about tonight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We shouldn't be combining countries, we need to be splitting countries apart. Far too many countries are too big already. Split them up.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

We shouldn't be combining countries, we need to be splitting countries apart. Far too many countries are too big already. Split them up.

America first

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Start with Spain and the UK.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

America first

Yeah! It's insanely hosed up that people in Texas have a say in what government is like in Oregon, and vice versa. It's unfair to both places. Split that poo poo up.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Opposite unpopular opinion, everything should be centralised because the concept of different access to services, let alone different laws, based on where you're born / can't afford to leave / have to live for work is awful

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Opposite unpopular opinion, everything should be centralised because the concept of different access to services, let alone different laws, based on where you're born / can't afford to leave / have to live for work is awful

Besides which, we all live in an interconnected system and things like pollution, water use, and other similar things affect people elsewhere. There is no actual separation except for imaginary lines we drew on some paper.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

This is true, countries like the US should not be allowed to force rape victims to give birth, or let any lunatic use automatic weapons for mass murder.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah! It's insanely hosed up that people in Texas have a say in what government is like in Oregon, and vice versa. It's unfair to both places. Split that poo poo up.

Strategic Tea posted:

Perhaps we could split the difference and devise a system where nationwide issues are handled by a central government and more regional issues are left up to the sub-governments of those local areas.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Maybe there could be some kind of constitution or bill of rights. That should be enough.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah but it takes like months to travel the world by horse and carriage and sailing vessel

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

doverhog posted:

This is true, countries like the US should not be allowed to force rape victims to give birth, or let any lunatic use automatic weapons for mass murder.

But the Local Communities of Penance, TX voted for it!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tom Bombadil is really good, and I think someone has to be an idiot or worse, not have read LotR, to dislike him. It's not some interminable slog. He's got one chapter, and bookends it with two chapters where he shows up for a page or two to save the hobbits while they're on adventures and in peril. Dude is not boring.

The songs are also good and not boring.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I read top to bottom, like most people I think do. When text is on the road, I still read it top-to-bottom.

YOU
THANK
LANE
ONLY
BUS

Stop this madness, nobody reads like that. Unless I'm wrong; I've never asked.

edit: Oh to clarify, my PHUO is: this is backwards and the convention should be abolished.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jul 31, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

credburn posted:

I read top to bottom, like most people I think do. When text is on the road, I still read it top-to-bottom.

YOU
THANK
LANE
ONLY
BUS

SHAVE
BURMA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

YOU
THANK
LANE
ONLY
BUS

This shits me too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't see that far ahead. How would I read it

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tom Bombadil is really good, and I think someone has to be an idiot or worse, not have read LotR, to dislike him. It's not some interminable slog. He's got one chapter, and bookends it with two chapters where he shows up for a page or two to save the hobbits while they're on adventures and in peril. Dude is not boring.

The songs are also good and not boring.

My only problem with Tom Bombadil is that when I'm tired my brain insists that he's the same person as Tom O'Bedlam and that is Tolkien's fault somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
tom bombadil is middling, because the lord of the rings (1954-1955) is ultimately pretty middling at things like "being enjoyable to read", "satisfying narrative pace", "relatable characters" etc. the lord of the rings brought into being the original sin of every imitator who's made an overly realized alternate reality at the expense of theme and character inner-life

the songs are fine though yeah