Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They’re such thin skinned little weasels because they don’t want their marks getting clued in before they are in too deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

priznat posted:

They’re such thin skinned little weasels because they don’t want their marks getting clued in before they are in too deep.

Nah. Greater fool theory. They *are* also the marks, they just think they can use other people as marks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FUD was what Microsoft used to say about Linux, not cultists whining that people are being very mean about the Emperor's new clothes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah I don't think FUD makes sense in the cryptobro world now that I think of it. There is no uncertainty here. We are all certain it's bullshit.

hey wait a second i'm just realizing that none of this makes any sense

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Could you just post the image? The embedded tweet is too cropped to make out anything but the logo. Anyone who wants to see the full image has to click through to twitter's incredibly slow site.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh good literally fundraising for a vigilante group

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah I don't think FUD makes sense in the cryptobro world now that I think of it. There is no uncertainty here. We are all certain it's bullshit.

Pretty much. I'd be surprised if there was a single true believer left out there

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What returns can I get on my anti-FUD investment?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Where does FUDpuckers fit into all this

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
it's the same with start citizen where the fans label anything critical as fud. so the joke is it means facts u dislike instead of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

:lol: "our industry" :lol:

If any "Anti-FUD Fund" ever gets off the ground, there'll be a rugpull.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

BigBadSteve posted:

:lol: "our industry" :lol:

If any "Anti-FUD Fund" ever gets off the ground, there'll be a rugpull.

You've cracked it. FUDruggers.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:eng101: Don't FUD, #BUIDL

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Unperson_47 posted:

You've cracked it. FUDruggers.

Man, I used to like those burgers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
a long time ago in one of the Bitcoin threads I said that FUD in crypto stands for “facts u dislike” and I stand by it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

stinch posted:

it's the same with start citizen where the fans label anything critical as fud. so the joke is it means facts u dislike instead of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I think it's a sincere push to re-label the acronym in an effort to make things seem less like a cult.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Nah. Greater fool theory. They *are* also the marks, they just think they can use other people as marks.

all the worlds a mark and all the men and women, merely FUDers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, the FUD stuff is entirely because that's how scams work: If you are skeptical about a scam, you are less likely to invest in it. They portray FUD as some sort of barrier to entry rather than a spotlight onto just how much of a ponzi scheme it all is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, any successful scam needs to convince its marks to actively distrust anyone warning them about said scam. It's like how Fox News tells its viewers not to trust the "lamestream media".

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's also why Scientology hates psychologists or other "suppressive people", just anyone who keeps them from getting further into the cult and is another version of 'FUDsters'

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, the FUD stuff is entirely because that's how scams work: If you are skeptical about a scam, you are less likely to invest in it. They portray FUD as some sort of barrier to entry rather than a spotlight onto just how much of a ponzi scheme it all is.

I think the most humorous part is the standard propaganda angle that they're trying to coopt a phrase that is explicitly correct in it's original meaning. Showing crypto is bullshit isn't fud, it's reality. It's like how they tried to do that to reverse the expression woke.

Same people involved so not a surprise.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there any reason why cyptro bros keep saying "Morning fam" everyday on social media? I have the feeling that it's meant to get people who are social isolated to jump on because someone is saying good morning to them over the internet?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
gm is short for good morning. Saying gm is part of their high control group jargon, either abbreviated or not.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Most of my context for what crazy cryptobros are doing is from Line Goes Up. And in that, Olson says that it's akin to prayer to reinforce community (because without community these dolts have nothing).

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pre coffee posting, but I dont know what " buidl " is. is it just dumb internet herrherr ironicmisspelling of build or is it an initialism ?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

just dumb internet herrherr ironicmisspelling of build

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thanks, their poo poo is sooooo stupid sometimes I forget the logic razor of Hanlon and think coinerz have some new vocab word. because there has to be a deeper meaning.

Also lol at the culty parasocial "good morning my coin bros."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TacticalHoodie posted:

Is there any reason why cyptro bros keep saying "Morning fam" everyday on social media? I have the feeling that it's meant to get people who are social isolated to jump on because someone is saying good morning to them over the internet?

Its cult poo poo, op.

They do gm as a "One of us" collective poo poo.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

has anyone said borgcoin?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is divabot still out there fighting the fight against crypto?

gregday
May 23, 2003

There’s a Lot of people who still hold to the adage that digital data can never be truly deleted because that was true for hard drives in the 80s and early 90s but platter technology has become so dense now that it doesn’t take much to make it irrecoverable

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Is divabot still out there fighting the fight against crypto?

last month divabot appeared before a UK Parliament committee to tell them how crypto is dumb, so yes

he does seem to have less time for posting on the forums lately, but you can still watching him fighting the good fight on his blog, on Amy Castor's blog (as divabot's been teaming up with Amy lately to write about this stuff), or on their twitter accounts (@davidgerard, @ahcastor).

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hey, hey, hey, guys, i don’t know if you’ve heard this one yet:

Butt

Coin

My avatar was purchased for me by a very pissed off seraph84. I’m keeping it as a badge of honor.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

This brand new "Butt Coin" sounds like it would work well with Proof of Steak.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Divabot didn't say buttcoin but he did bring up the "you must be misunderstanding it" thing:

quote:

We use the word “technology” a lot. A blockchain is very simple technologically. It has an air of mystery about it and people say, “Oh, it’s the technology.” I think a lot of this is because people do not know what it is or do not understand it, or when you tell them what it is they say, “That’s too simple; that would mean this thing is completely stupid. I must be misunderstanding it.”

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

tango alpha delta posted:

My avatar was purchased for me by a very pissed off seraph84. I’m keeping it as a badge of honor.

Does it cost money to do that?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I guess calling blockchain what it actually is, a Merkle Tree, might make people realize that this ‘cutting edge’ tech was invented waaaay back in the 1970’s. That means that it was designed for Mainframe and minicomputers, because desktop computers, laptops and all the portable tech that we presently enjoy did not loving exist yet.

Lol, Thank you for the avatar, angry seraph84!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 29, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hey, hey, hey, guys, i don’t know if you’ve heard this one yet:

Butt

Coin

Have fun staying poor!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Does it cost money to do that?
New avatar for someone else's account is ten bucks. It's usually used for Big Red Titles, but like everything else in his life, it appears Seraph hosed up and forgot to change the font color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

This is how it should be. Be proud of your ability to piss someone off so much that they spend real money.

I wish there was like, an inventory for avatars bought for you in the control panel. So you could pick which meltdown trophy you want to display as your avatar or set them to rotate from post to post. Maybe something to think about as a plat feature.