Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reive
May 21, 2009

For anyone who wants to get caught up I don't think this has been posted anywhere else yet but the mod discord has been working on two things, a document to cover the story so far/any inconsistencies in the facts, and their own mod to see if it can be replicated fully

here's the doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZCmYM92MasXggBMgVQ9emV0gyzi8s2tXd85svQIaOuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

!Klams posted:

I remember reading about a game that was like some top down 2D thing that people had played for years before someone worked out a way to get into a COLLOSAL secret area that had loads of really weird out there messages (I think on computer terminals?) that seemed to be talking about a real life cult? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember it being somewhat inconclusive and I'd love to know if anything ever came of it? Could always have been a hoax I fell for, too. (I seem to remember it was somehow linked to Kanye or something, but that bit might not be right).

The Human Cow posted:

Here's a neat thing I found today about a hidden area in a game called Kanye Quest.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

!Klams posted:

I remember reading about a game that was like some top down 2D thing that people had played for years before someone worked out a way to get into a COLLOSAL secret area that had loads of really weird out there messages (I think on computer terminals?) that seemed to be talking about a real life cult? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I remember it being somewhat inconclusive and I'd love to know if anything ever came of it? Could always have been a hoax I fell for, too. (I seem to remember it was somehow linked to Kanye or something, but that bit might not be right).

theres a fairly expansive set of hidden ARG areas based around an "ascension cult" or something in the otherwise satirical rap-based RPG maker game kanye quest but theres zero evidence of a connection to any real people or events afaik

e:f;b

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Have they checked to see if it's connected to save files somehow? Maybe having a Nier remaster/FFXIV save makes the door accessible? I don't even know if it could work like that, just throwing the idea out there.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I was very confused why you empty-quoted me until I realized I had posted that in the wrong thread. Still technically fit the theme!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I follow both threads but everything in my bookmarks kind of blurs together, and I was wondering why I remember reading the quoted version of the post before the original

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SkeletonHero posted:

Have they checked to see if it's connected to save files somehow? Maybe having a Nier remaster/FFXIV save makes the door accessible? I don't even know if it could work like that, just throwing the idea out there.

You couldn't quite use actual saves for that, since they're completely different games structurally (FFXIV is an MMO, there's no 'save file' stored locally), but it probably wouldn't be completely implausible to hack together 'if FFXIV is installed on this PS4, unlock this'. But that wouldn't be it, because Nier players and FFXIV players are enough of a cross-section (especially after their crossover event) that if that's all they'd have had to do, then someone would've already hit it.

A more plausible crossover, although likely also one that would've come up before now if it were true, are Nier Automata and Nier Replicant saves; the two games haven't been on the same console until recently.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

You couldn't quite use actual saves for that, since they're completely different games structurally (FFXIV is an MMO, there's no 'save file' stored locally),

Well, not quite in the normal save file sense, but there definitely saved files from playing FFXIV. If you knew the format (and location, and encoding, and...), you can derive some information, like what items you were carrying around or your equipment and the like, since the ordering of your inventory items and the like is stored clientside. (Not the actual items themselves, of course.)

Not that it changes the point much. :v:

VERY COOL MAN posted:

theres a fairly expansive set of hidden ARG areas based around an "ascension cult" or something in the otherwise satirical rap-based RPG maker game kanye quest but theres zero evidence of a connection to any real people or events afaik

that whole thing was just weird.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Something I saw in a video analysis of the nier stuff that I didn't seen mentioned searching the last few pages. There's no arrow icon over the items in the 3 videos posted so far. Leading the person making the video to point out that makes it seem much more likely this is being published from a dev build. That, along with the way the English on reddit is being used, and the time zone of the posts (7PM JP, 6 AM US) makes it seem very likely it's just a marketing thing from the team. Someone in the comments mentioned the date that the reddit account was made is also "salt day" (I don't know enough to know how significant that is).

Here is the video, if anyone wants to check that out for a better explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcgzmEmtW0

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Zamujasa posted:

Well, not quite in the normal save file sense, but there definitely saved files from playing FFXIV. If you knew the format (and location, and encoding, and...), you can derive some information, like what items you were carrying around or your equipment and the like, since the ordering of your inventory items and the like is stored clientside. (Not the actual items themselves, of course.)

Not that it changes the point much. :v:

that whole thing was just weird.

Is this some loadbearing stuff from the original FF14? Because that sounds like a really dumb solution, especially since MMOS are popular choices for stuff like internet cafe gaming, so having to reorder your inventory every time sounds like a garbage solution.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I never really figured it'd make an impact since sorting is trivial, and you can upload/download your configuration/saves in the menu before connecting.

Hrist posted:

Something I saw in a video analysis of the nier stuff that I didn't seen mentioned searching the last few pages. There's no arrow icon over the items in the 3 videos posted so far. Leading the person making the video to point out that makes it seem much more likely this is being published from a dev build. That, along with the way the English on reddit is being used, and the time zone of the posts (7PM JP, 6 AM US) makes it seem very likely it's just a marketing thing from the team. Someone in the comments mentioned the date that the reddit account was made is also "salt day" (I don't know enough to know how significant that is).

Here is the video, if anyone wants to check that out for a better explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcgzmEmtW0

This all makes me wish I knew more about the game so I could follow what's going on better.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

This all makes me wish I knew more about the game so I could follow what's going on better.

:same:

The doc posted earlier in the thread shows how the videos are inconsistent with stuff like lighting and fog, which definitely makes me lean towards weird ARG since the OP claims his PS4 never had internet to update anything (even though it is shown to have an ethernet cable plugged in).

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

I played through Automata, and one of my friends is obsessed with Nier/Drakengard. And I honestly still don't get much of it. As far as I understand, alot of the overall series connection is kind of cryptic to begin with. I personally LOVED the setting and concept for Automata. It's the only one I was interested enough in to play. But once I played through all the main endings, I just didn't care at all for the story.

I'm excited for the mystery, because it's genuinely interesting to see. But there's a little too much pointing towards marketing / manufactured attention. And that's just disappointing if it turns out to be true.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

VERY COOL MAN posted:

Amazing, thanks yes, exactly this!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So, we've got an answer to the Nier Automata stuff. And I think it's actually the least plausible result.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1552829263694270464

It actually is that a modder (or group of them) cracked how to do ALL of this, including new geometry, enemies and script, and rather than just announce it, spent who-knows-how-long secretly building all of that just to reveal that it's possible before releasing the tools they used to do it.

Holy poo poo.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean, no, being a mod was always more plausible than anything bar a cut area, which became increasingly less sensible as more of it was shown. The only reason people discarded the mod angle was other modders' claim that it was impossible, which says a lot about trusting what people say on the internet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chev posted:

I mean, no, being a mod was always more plausible than anything bar a cut area, which became increasingly less sensible as more of it was shown. The only reason people discarded the mod angle was other modders' claim that it was impossible, which says a lot about trusting what people say on the internet.

the thing is that as far as most people knew, it was impossible. this is all brand new to the modding community and most everyone else

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
you can mod a game but you cant mod the hole in my heart

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

verbal enema posted:

you can mod a game but you cant mod the hole in my heart

Actually I'm pretty sure surgery has ways to do exactly that

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ah well

Reive
May 21, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

the thing is that as far as most people knew, it was impossible. this is all brand new to the modding community and most everyone else

Sort of, there have been tools to do stuff like this in early stages of development for years, the progress was just really slow, in the last like 6 months this small 3 person team iterated on this and made breakthroughs while everyone else was working with the same old kinda crap tools, so basically the modders who weren't in on it didn't really think it was impossible as much as with the state everything was in at the time no one would be able to do it with what they had but there were ideas on how it would work if any progress had been made, they just didn't know progress HAD been made behind their backs lol.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Imagine being the guy who was the best and most famous modder in the nier community who said "this cannot be mods, no one can make a mod like this" right now. lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

50/50 they accept they got played or they go for “I just didn’t want to spoil the surprise I totally knew it was possible”

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
This was always the most plausible outcome but the community just really, really wanted to believe that this was Yoko Taro himself announcing a remake of a game like Drakengard 3 that no one played the first time around.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ShimaTetsuo posted:

This was always the most plausible outcome but the community just really, really wanted to believe that this was Yoko Taro himself announcing a remake of a game like Drakengard 3 that no one played the first time around.

I think the thing that knocked us off-course was that, with a Nier Automata Switch port in the works, it's absolutely plausible that they might be teasing new content in that. And even Yosuke Saito thought it sounded like a very Yoko Taro thing to do.

Any other game in a similar position? No way something like this was gonna be official. Nier Automata three months ago, when absolutely nothing was known to be going on? Not a chance they'd do this out of the blue. But specifically Nier Automata, when a port with confirmed new content (albeit just costumes) is on the horizon? That's just enough planets aligning to buy it as official guerilla marketing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

remake Drakengard 1 in full no-mercy HD with maximum gore and x10 as many punishments for engaging its systems, cowards

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this reminds me of the time people thought city of heroes' code was lost forever only to find there was an ultra-secret private server that a small group of people had been playing on for years, except the reaction here seems to be more "haha, neat" and less people getting the knives out

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blockhouse posted:

this reminds me of the time people thought city of heroes' code was lost forever only to find there was an ultra-secret private server that a small group of people had been playing on for years, except the reaction here seems to be more "haha, neat" and less people getting the knives out

Tbf I'm still a bit mad about that one because now I'm forever gonna have the hope that anytime someone can just drop the news in my lap that "no, we had the Marvel Heroes source code running on a Gateway somewhere in a closet for ages and you can play it again, secretly best girl, have fun forever", because it happened once before.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
this is like the poo poo with the ~secret thirteenth colossus~ in sotc lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Back when you had to physically explore the game world it was a lot funner. Sotc and San Andreas were a blast for that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blockhouse posted:

In their defense, while private servers and the like are rarely hit by a legal takedown even for live games, City of Heroes' publisher actually is litigious enough that they probably would've issued takedowns if they were open about it back when the CoH shutdown was recent.

Did they have to keep it secret as long as they did? Probably not, but they definitely had to keep it secret at first, and it's hard to know when the coast is clear on this sort of thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cleretic posted:

In their defense, while private servers and the like are rarely hit by a legal takedown even for live games, City of Heroes' publisher actually is litigious enough that they probably would've issued takedowns if they were open about it back when the CoH shutdown was recent.

Did they have to keep it secret as long as they did? Probably not, but they definitely had to keep it secret at first, and it's hard to know when the coast is clear on this sort of thing.

I get that but I also get the perspective that all these major voices in the community going "yeah, it's gone forever no one has the code sorry guys" while simultaneously playing the game they say no longer exists in secret feels like some two-faced bullshit

Of course none of that matters now and one might say it's a little too easy to play CoH these days

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
there were also some more significant legal issues because one of the devs from the live team took copies of all the character data

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I still wonder what the exact overlap is between the people who declared a weird (racist :ssh:) blood feud with NCsoft for pulling the plug on the game and the people who went completely apoplectic at there being a highly secretive private server they weren't personally privy to.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
100%

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NREzIye0cE

2 hours of in depth documentation of Hondo

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Farg posted:

It's 2022 and I'm watching a new documentary on AHL and Hondo. Wow.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Farg posted:

ty for this post, I really enjoyed the video.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Farg posted:

gently caress, I just watched a 4 hour long lecture on animorphs and now I'm gonna watch this. If only I had the ability to focus on and retain useful information instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

field balm posted:

gently caress, I just watched a 4 hour long lecture on animorphs

Link, please? I haven't revisited that series since it finished, but by god I read them all.