Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dandywalken posted:

This was prob one of the best End Times events, def. Top 3 easy.

yea End Times was kinda a mess and weirdly handled but A) I do think AoS is a pretty major improvement in a lot of ways so ends and means and all that jazz, and B) it at least gave us some genuinely epic warhammer moments like 'alright lord of death, I'm gonna finish you off after I murder these gods who dare implied Settra would serve their wills even if we want the same things' and Grimgor becoming bound to the winds of Beast magic, getting summoned by the fancy elf council trying to call all the incarnates of magic, and joining the war against chaos entirely because one of them said Archon is PROBABLY way stronger and cooler and tougher than Grimgor and he should fight to prove that wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nah, that all sucks.

Honestly, I like "Settra does not serve!" better without knowing the context of it. It's the typical kind of badass writing that at least for me mostly just falls flat.

e: forgot a crucial word.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 29, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nagash was after Settra's time by like 400 years. He only awakened when big N did his "gently caress you Khemri" necromancy spell, and his main concern was being a dry husk instead of being reborn into golden god form, because he's Settra.

But he's most definitely head of state, being first and only king to unify all of Nehekhara. Nagash didn't show up till two dynasties later. What a nerd, total non-god.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

did he? It's been ages so I forgot if he stopped short or if the whisper came after the 'killing blow' and pissed him off.

Either way yea, Nagash never stays down, dude's the herpes of warhammer villains, which likely would offend both Nurgle and Slaanesh cultists to hear.

I was thinking one of the earlier wars against khemri or whatever, I listened to one of them big lore videos loremaster of sotek recorded ages ago and I vaguely remember nagash getting repeatedly pantsed.

Including by just like, an angry dude with a rat knife.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The sea lanes sound cool until you think about it and realize that almost none of the characters with easy access to them outside of Lohkir and Nakai will probably have a good climate on the other side of them.

CA just needs to give everyone the equivalent of that global teleportation mechanic they gave the wood elf sisters

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Insurrectionist posted:

It's more that he is A head of state, but not THE head of state since there are many Tomb Kings states and there is no Tomb Overlord or whatever. Even if Settra could probably bully most of them into joining him.

My dude, this is like saying that Joe Biden is not a head of state because he does not rule all human beings. That's not what a state is.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

sexpig by night posted:

Settra literally in universe only came short of killing Nagash himself because a chaos god's whisper made it sound like he would be serving their interests as well by doing it and Settra does not serve so he jumped into a fuckin chaos rift to gently caress up the gods themselves as revenge.

I think we all know who runs things.

end times isn't real and this game proves it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

yea End Times was kinda a mess and weirdly handled but A) I do think AoS is a pretty major improvement in a lot of ways so ends and means and all that jazz, and B) it at least gave us some genuinely epic warhammer moments like 'alright lord of death, I'm gonna finish you off after I murder these gods who dare implied Settra would serve their wills even if we want the same things' and Grimgor becoming bound to the winds of Beast magic, getting summoned by the fancy elf council trying to call all the incarnates of magic, and joining the war against chaos entirely because one of them said Archon is PROBABLY way stronger and cooler and tougher than Grimgor and he should fight to prove that wrong.

iirc it was Malekith that basically said "hey Grimgor, there's this Archaon guy going around saying that he could totally kick your rear end"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

The Chad Jihad posted:

You know, one thing I really like about skaven is that to my knowledge they never statted or out gave models to the council of thirteen. Actually, casual googling suggests that maybe some have been, but like Gnawdwell and Sneek and whatnot don't seen to. That's pretty cool to me, in a setting with very little mystery to it you've got these dudes who by implication are exceedingly powerful or maybe just figureheads and you don't know which

There’s an older model for Plaguelord Nurglitch, the actual head of Clan Pestilins. Big bloated guy who rides a giant rat.
https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nurglitch

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

None of the big bosses of the Skaven great clans ever took the field much, they were all hanging out in Skavenblight politicking. The lords representing the clans were their seconds in command.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-the-chaos-debate/

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
It's nice how communicative CA has been over the past few months.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

There's a note in there about how the Monogod factions are getting up to twice as many units. Anyone have the details on that handy? Are they just getting their versions of all the mortal Warriors, or what?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yup, all respective marked mortal units

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cant wait to see how reddit melts down about this.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant wait to see how reddit melts down about this.

They'll be mad Sigvald can take units from other gods.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Azazel only making it in because Sigvald was added back in 2015 and they needed a monogod champion for Slaneesh is an even better story than Tretch's or Ghorst's.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Should have made Mecha Sigvald

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Muscle Tracer posted:

There's a note in there about how the Monogod factions are getting up to twice as many units. Anyone have the details on that handy? Are they just getting their versions of all the mortal Warriors, or what?

If they don’t have them already, they’re getting:
-A sword-and-board marauder, warrior, and chosen, and one other variety of each. Khorne get dual axes, Tzeentch gets spears/halberds, Nurgle gets great weapons, and Slaanesh gets hellscourges.
-Knights with and without lances
-One type of marauder horsemen. Khorne and Nurgle get throwing axes, Tzeentch and Slaanesh get javelins
-A non-gorebeast chariot
-A warshrine

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It's fine, but it really does seem like remaking Sigvald to be the dedicated Slaanesh lord and adding a new undivided champion would have been the better play.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Muscle Tracer posted:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tww3-introducing-the-coc/

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way, under "The Champions Roster".

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

I'm happy with this

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Twigand Berries posted:

Should have made Mecha Sigvald

Giga Mecha Sigvald

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

I dont know posted:

It's fine, but it really does seem like remaking Sigvald to be the dedicated Slaanesh lord and adding a new undivided champion would have been the better play.

Yes and no, CA seems like they're considering how the DLC lords would compare to the existing mono-god lords with respect to gameplay. They're trying to avoid situations where Festus would be Ku'gath lite, or Azazel as N'Kari lite. It lets these new lords actually have a chance to be fun on their own terms instead of always being the worse version of someone else.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

I dont know posted:

Then you would have had a DLC with dedicated Slaanesh units but not Slaanesh LL.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

wow, this is really intricate and awesome. I know a lot of ppl were down on CA at the launch of WHIII, but theyve really stepped up to the plate and each change and announced feature has been better and better

also echoing what someone else said about how great it is that CA has been communicating all of this these past few weeks. Im not playing it now, but im getting hyped all over again for WHIII lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

In a way it's not too dissimilar from how they stuck by Rome 2 after a terrible launch. People poo poo on that launch and rightly so, but many people aren't aware that it actually ended up being a pretty alright game eventually, especially so with mods.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I wish they'd gotten rid of the terrible climate mechanic from Warhammer 2 and reutrned to something more like Warhammer 1.

e: Possibly make it something like a mix of Warhammer 1, 2 and Wood Elves, (I don't remember quite what the tiers are)
Hospitable = no restrictions
Unsuitable = can hold capitals, otherwise, only "outpost" type settlements, can only settle capitals
Inhospitable = only "outpost" type settlements, cannot settle at all.

And make the AI incredibly aversive to settling or conquering any non-hospitable settlements, maybe even barred all-together.

TW1 worked ok on release because there were only 4 races and they split 2 different preferences between badlands and grasslands.

It could never work in TW2 because you have literally dozens of races split across the entire world, the amount of work and playerbase confusion it would generate woulda been nuts compared to labeling a region "grasslands" and another "ice" and another "desert"

TW2's system mostly just needs a way for you to make it more feasible to hold inhospitable climate as a incomeless military outpost only, since the replenishment rate hits mean your garrison almost never can recover.

I think TW3 mostly solves this issue already however if you lean on the improved diplomacy, you can gift cities to your buddies or sell them off to rivals of your rival so you don't just have to leave ruins that the AI will beeline for everywhere.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think TW3 mostly solves this issue already however if you lean on the improved diplomacy, you can gift cities to your buddies or sell them off to rivals of your rival so you don't just have to leave ruins that the AI will beeline for everywhere.
I think they also reduced the propensity for the AI to beeline ruins so we wont have situations where Manny somehow ended up trekking from Sylvania to Praag by turn 5 because it got razed on turn 1.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 29, 2022

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

wow, this is really intricate and awesome. I know a lot of ppl were down on CA at the launch of WHIII, but theyve really stepped up to the plate and each change and announced feature has been better and better

also echoing what someone else said about how great it is that CA has been communicating all of this these past few weeks. Im not playing it now, but im getting hyped all over again for WHIII lol

I seem to recall one of the big problems that came about as the game was close to launch was that most or all of their PR crew kinda moved on. The new PR people had to more or less find their feet as things were already shifting to a new dev crew overseeing things. There's not really any info as to why that happened at such a crucial moment, but it was telling when one of them left and all the blogs we'd been seeing just sort of stopped.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Carcer posted:

Of the playable LLs I think he's the only one with a real claim to bieng the overall ruler. Khatep is his high priest, arkhan is a traitorous bastard and wants to play second fiddle to nagash anyway and Khalida didn't rule for long enough to have much a claim.

IIRC Khalida fully supports Settra - she defers to him so that she can spend more time murdering vampires and collecting fangs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

DeathSandwich posted:

IIRC Khalida fully supports Settra - she defers to him so that she can spend more time murdering vampires and collecting fangs.

Imagine if your cousin who stabbed you death spent the next 2000 years horny posting at you. Khalida deserves to be mad.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

Its so nice that she makes time for her hobbies.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Settra is the de facto leader of the Tomb Kings. He's the guy that was resurrected to fix things when every existing dynasty head was undead at the same time and certain they were the true head of their family and willing to rattle bones to prove it, leading to massive civil wars across all Tomb Kings land. Khatep knew he was going to eat poo poo for doing it but he also knew only Settra could put a stop to it. Settra did, and then he banished Khatep.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

My dude, this is like saying that Joe Biden is not a head of state because he does not rule all human beings. That's not what a state is.

Like I said, he is 'a' head of state not 'the' head of state.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

If they don’t have them already, they’re getting:
-A sword-and-board marauder, warrior, and chosen, and one other variety of each. Khorne get dual axes, Tzeentch gets spears/halberds, Nurgle gets great weapons, and Slaanesh gets hellscourges.
-Knights with and without lances
-One type of marauder horsemen. Khorne and Nurgle get throwing axes, Tzeentch and Slaanesh get javelins
-A non-gorebeast chariot
-A warshrine

loving hell yes. Kairos Fateweaver 2.0 is gonna be my first playthrough now for sure.

Insurrectionist posted:

Like I said, he is 'a' head of state not 'the' head of state.

gently caress you are dense as poo poo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Settra's ridin' with Biden for sure

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They talked a bit about the unforeseen technical hurdles of allowing Warriors of Chaos to confederate, and that’s the reasoning behind Tomb Kings and Vampirates inability to so as well, right? Tomb King hero caps are controlled by the tech tree, and Vampirates hero caps are raised by coves that can occupy the same space if they’re owned by different factions.

I hope they’re eventually able to. Even aggro bastards like Settra have to engage in diplomacy, and there’s always the smallest possibility that diametrically opposed forces like him (or Khalida) and Arkham can join forces, like Thorgrim and Grimgor technically can. More than other races, Tomb Kings need suitable territory to build buildings that raise their unit caps and so invariably having to declare war on Tomb King neighbors seems wrong. Vampirates have little uniting philosophy besides looking out for #1, but the same could be said for other races who can confederate. Confederating another LL always feels like a cool reward for playing well, and it’s a shame some races can’t do it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dr Christmas posted:

diametrically opposed forces like him (or Khalida) and Arkham can join forces, like Thorgrim and Grimgor technically can.
Uh, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

I mean, the options to join a military alliance are there, aren’t they? You’ll never get them to do it, but they’re there.

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean confederation. I guess that’s still comparing apples to oranges. I guess there really aren’t any intractable intra-race disagreements on the level of Settra and Arkhan.