Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the lack of color vision in the ancient world is why all the statues are bare marble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

I would be entirely unsurprised if there was a language where the word for blue was literally "sky colored"

Also Amharic.
ሰማይ (sämay) - sky, heaven
ሰማያዊ (sämayawi) - of sky, heavenly, blue

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are we sure that the Mycenean Greeks didn't drink a lot of MD 20/20

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cheetah7071 posted:

the lack of color vision in the ancient world is why all the statues are bare marble

doubling down on bad classics theories, nice

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Jazerus posted:

the ancient greeks actually had compound eyes, like spiders. they only lost this trait when they began intermingling with the rest of the world after alexander

Well, they evolved in a cave and were accustomed to only seeing shadows on the walls, what would you expect.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jazerus posted:

the ancient greeks actually had compound eyes, like spiders. they only lost this trait when they began intermingling with the rest of the world after alexander

behold, a greek:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm glad we're posting a lot of truth about the Greeks today, they've gotten away with it for far too long

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is all that creepy eye stuff why they say you should beware of Greeks bearing gifts?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Is all that creepy eye stuff why they say you should beware of Greeks bearing gifts?

That's a misquote. The real quote is you should beware of Greeks gifting bears.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ChubbyChecker posted:

behold, a greek:

further proof the roman empire was the height of greece's existence (~100 BCE to ~400 AD)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CoolCab posted:

i will never reveal the Wu Zetian secret

Protect your cravat :hmmyes:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My personal theory is that the ancient greeks were cynocephalic, hence the colourblindness.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

My personal theory is that the ancient greeks were cynocephalic, hence the colourblindness.

shoo, st christopher, you got decanonized

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They obviously had blue wine

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

The Lone Badger posted:

If that were true, why did they write about the cynocephali as a curiosity?
They would have said "In these faraway lands beyond all those seas and mountains, there live normal people just like us" and nobody would notice anything was up with those faraway people and their gold mining ants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thus, the greeks had cat heads.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Earlier in this thread there was a question about giving up either Greek or Latin when it comes to classical studies and most people laughed at the idea of choosing to keep Latin over Greek but I didn't quite get why it was an obvious choice. Is it a love for Greek drama and poetry or nerding out over the Eastern Roman Empire or what

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I don't think anyone was taking that dilemma seriously at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hang on. Where did I post my Simpsons joke if it's not here?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Tulip posted:

Sumeria

:colbert:

My school sucked and we only got French or Spanish. I really like the idea of learning Latin but it's pretty hard to motivate yourself to learn a language with no practical use. I tried with Sumerian back in college and that didn't go very far.

Though there wasn't a "learn the basics wiki" back then like this so I was trying to learn everything from very academic sources.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Earlier in this thread there was a question about giving up either Greek or Latin when it comes to classical studies and most people laughed at the idea of choosing to keep Latin over Greek but I didn't quite get why it was an obvious choice. Is it a love for Greek drama and poetry or nerding out over the Eastern Roman Empire or what

It's because Greek has a way older history, and also most of the Latin histories were translated and preserved in Greek anyway (you know, so the later Romans could read their own history) so you lose comparatively little.

Like the one big counter case would be if you're super into the Catholic Church I guess?

E: VVV that's true, though I guess in that and Catholic Church history you're pretty outside the realm of Classical Antiquity

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You get a lot of medieval and early modern texts with Latin, not just church ones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wine-dark made me think like, a stormy sea when it's overcast that looks more dark green than blue.

But yeah, look at how confusing English slang and idioms already are to English speakers (and the jokes made out of THAT) to get an idea of how translating things literally can get nonsensical quickly.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

niche question: does anyone have a lot to say itt about the history of color? a professor i knew from way back when was on the university's social media talking about how not only did homer not have a word for the color blue--he described the seas as the color of "wine dark"--but neither did ancient hebrey and assyrian texts, icelandic sagas, or hindu vedas. blue was mentioned in ancient egyptian texts though.
The vikings actually called africans "the blue men".

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I heard an NPR piece on how you actually can see a similar thing happening with language in general with the birth of a new sign language. Basically when you get a bunch of deaf people who don't already know sign language into the same room, they will all on their own start developing gestures to communicate, and the later generations of people using that language will start developing more complex ideas to have words for. I'm not sure how much of that is that it takes time for more words to develop or if older generations get complacent with the language after a point and stop developing, leaving work for the next generation to do.

There's a village in the Middle East where a new sign language emerged because a lot of the population was deaf and the village was isolated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Sayyid_Bedouin_Sign_Language

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Alhazred posted:

Until fairly recently, this was also how Dutch people would sometimes refer to Indonesians.

There are still contexts in which Indonesian food (or rather, a heavily Dutchified nasi) is referred to as 'blue bite' ('blauwe hap').

So I guess it's fairly common for nothern Eureopeans to describe people of color as blue

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Alhazred posted:

There's a village in the Middle East where a new sign language emerged because a lot of the population was deaf and the village was isolated:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Sayyid_Bedouin_Sign_Language

Nicaraguan Sign Language developed with no exposure to other sign languages (and only limited exposure to Spanish for obvious reasons) as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaraguan_Sign_Language

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wine faced works as a descriptor of seas I’ve seen. It’s assigning an emotional state to the sea. Drunk and confused with a possible turn to anger.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ocean also just looks like a dark purple at sunset sometimes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

The ocean also just looks like a dark purple at sunset sometimes.

Why'd you post a picture of it looking blue then?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gaius Marius posted:

Why'd you post a picture of it looking blue then?

i'll cut you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I drove over the Chesapeake bay today (roughly analogous to the Mediterranean) and I honestly had no idea what color it was . They shifted

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Alhazred posted:

It wasn't just vikings, but also other professions.

When I took a class on Old Swedish, we were reading a hagiography about St. Hieronymus, where he performed a thigh (?) transplant on a man whose thigh had rotted away. The donor thigh came from a dead and buried 'blue man.' I assume the idea of a man walking around with an African's thigh was very entertaining.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
https://twitter.com/GennHutchison/status/1551677318912847872

Wondering what history goons think of this thread and this general line of argument. I've always been skeptical of the notion that the 28-day calendars were period trackers because a) not everyone has a regular menstrual cycle, and wouldn't it be even less regular among non-modern populations with worse nutrition and b) wouldn't it be useful to track the moon anyway? Especially if you live anywhere near the sea?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the lunar cycle and menstrual cycle are similar enough that I think it'd be hard to distinguish which one influenced the earliest calendars--even setting aside the likely possibility that it's just, both. 28-30 days is a division of time that helps you track the moon, menstrual cycles, and gets you a decent approximation of seasons because it's a little under one twelfth of a solar year. I highly suspect the three way correspondence between those concepts was noticed before the earliest calendars written on materials durable enough for archaeologists to recover

if there's actual evidence going against that, I'm happy to be wrong though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ScienceSeagull posted:

https://twitter.com/GennHutchison/status/1551677318912847872

Wondering what history goons think of this thread and this general line of argument. I've always been skeptical of the notion that the 28-day calendars were period trackers because a) not everyone has a regular menstrual cycle, and wouldn't it be even less regular among non-modern populations with worse nutrition and b) wouldn't it be useful to track the moon anyway? Especially if you live anywhere near the sea?

The broad point, that you should totally have different perspectives involved when you are trying to figure out what the gently caress, is totally accurate and true. Though IMO its gotten way better in the past 10 years with the influx of younger archaeologists.

However it's somewhat misleading and IMO falling into some of the same biases to insist that just because the purpose of the artifact or whatever is obvious to you than that is what it is. You need further testing and evidence for that.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 31, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She fell into the exact same biases that she sees male archeologists fall into with zero self awareness. Pretty funny, at some point the real answer is to try and get things in front of as many people as possible so you get an actual consensus on things from people across myriad different divides instead of just the Male/Female divide.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also I am deeply curious if anyone can dig up that paper/report/or site card with the knives roof rafters thing. I did some light googling and basically have only found that story word for word.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Kind of reminds me of the Roman dodecahedron topic and when a woman posted a video of herself using it to knit some gloves some people saw it as proof that historians had this huge blind spot. It turns out that it probably wasn't a knitting device and like someone said above you shouldn't latch onto the first thing that makes sense to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's still a good example of the value of different perspectives, I think. Even though the knitting idea didn't hold together it was worth exploring.