Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i regret offhanded starting this cinemasins derail so i'm gonna post another, possibly even funnier comment from that thread, not made by the OP

quote:

This is why I don’t mind when the WWE completely changing wrestlers’ gimmick and names when they’re from the outside. You shouldn’t expect fans to follow every single promotion under the sun.

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know the difference of bringing somebody like Sting, Styles, Rey Mysterio, Goldberg vs Dos Cara Jr, Rush, Ambrose/Moxley(CZW), Tyler Black, and El Generico.

If you’re too lazy to create a new gimmick/character for Rush, then run some promos on him, including footages from other promotions. It shouldn’t be hard since they’re all forbidden door partners. This was why the forbidden door build up drew piss poor ratings.

wreddit is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

keithy george posted:

Like, a show should have 'matches for matches' sake just for general entertainment purposes, but also to keep up the pretense that wrestling is supposed to be a sport and people are going to compete in matches because that's the entire point of the sport.

With 'storyline brain' what does Teddy Long do if no-one particularly purturbs him that evening? Who's going to go one on one with the Undertaker? Sorry guys, no main event tonight.

Vince spends hours before every show setting up pranks for the wrestlers to blame on each other, generating the necessary hostile work environment needed to get everyone all riled up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alaois posted:

i regret offhanded starting this cinemasins derail so i'm gonna post another, possibly even funnier comment from that thread, not made by the OP

wreddit is incredible

The concept of learning about people through their wrestling is completely alien to some people

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

On some level I have sympathy for american wrestling fans, every big american sport is isolationist and you can't help them for getting the idea that the rest of the globe is just full of useless blundering idiots who can't make it. they don't like soccer because they'd have to watch the world cup and would get upset that other countries exist.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

keithy george posted:

On some level I have sympathy for american wrestling fans, every big american sport is isolationist and you can't help them for getting the idea that the rest of the globe is just full of useless blundering idiots who can't make it. they don't like soccer because they'd have to watch the world cup and would get upset that other countries exist.

I personally do not accept that excuse, people need to be more curious about the world and stop just accepting what gets put in front of them

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Most of these dummies would be able to figure all this stuff out if they just watched the show and listened to the commentary instead of playing Genshin Impact with the TV on in the background

It amazes me that so many peoples brains are so broken they think they can fully critique something without actually watching the whole thing

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't disagree that a 30 second highlight reel of Rush from ROH, or AAA would've been neat. Run it before his entrance like the Ricky Starks hype video this week.

But lol at suggesting people who knew who AJ Styles was would be baffled by Tyler Black

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They kind of did, they played Rush winning multiple matches before his match with Mox.

There needs to be a happy middle ground between AEW believing you've watched every episode of Dynamite as well as an awareness of every other promotion and WWE believing that you can't even remember what happened 20 minutes ago.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Bucks/Hanger backstage thing was so exciting, I'm looking forward to wherever it takes us. Should've put that on YouTube.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
aew doesn't expect you to have watched everything. they'll pull from a lot of stuff in the past (both aew's and other companies') but even if you don't understand something like why specifically Eddie hates Claudio you can make some inferences based on what you know of Eddie as a character and also be most of the way there by commentary saying 'Eddie hates Claudio'

I'm not arguing that if doesn't feel more rewarding sometimes if you've been paying attention or have been following from the top, but it's really not a requirement in any way to follow or enjoy the show

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I had no idea who Rush was when he popped up in AEW, and all I needed was "Here's a cool new wrestler for you to enjoy, he's from Mexico and he's good at wrestling and he's aligned with Andrade." All of that was explained to me by watching AEW on TV. I don't need to know what he had for breakfast. Just let him wrestle some dudes.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
from least to most:

-information you need to know
-the amount AEW shows you on TV
-amount of info most people want
-what AEW tells you on social media
-the information that Excalibur gives if you don't tune him out
-all the information and history that exists
-the amount of backstory the internet claims they need

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
did people complain about this when WWE was relying heavily on poaching ROH/New Japan wrestlers and debuting them hot with their previous names and gimmicks and making only subtle references to their careers prior to joining WWE?

because AEW gives you far more information than that and is far less insulting in the process

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

D.N. Nation posted:

I don't really watch them anymore but I always thought the CinemaSins bit was a semi-satire of overwrought YouTube film criticism rather than strictly the actual item.

That's what they claim but that claim doesn't pass even a bit of muster. They're just really dumb assholes who barely pay attention to the films they're watching and obviously write their "sins" live and never go back to edit them when it turns out they were comically wrong about something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEAsGoP-5I

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
why are you posting a video about cinemasins a) that has already been posted and b) in the Chris Regal Memorial Bad Takes Wrestling Thread.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

an IWGP women's title was announced! I can't wait for the takes.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

keithy george posted:

Like, a show should have 'matches for matches' sake just for general entertainment purposes, but also to keep up the pretense that wrestling is supposed to be a sport and people are going to compete in matches because that's the entire point of the sport.

With 'storyline brain' what does Teddy Long do if no-one particularly purturbs him that evening? Who's going to go one on one with the Undertaker? Sorry guys, no main event tonight.

In the fiction of WWE, most of the time they show up at an arena full of fans who paid to be there, turn the live camera feed on, and then just kinda hope enough wrestlers have showed up and hate each another enough that they need to fight right then and there to fill 2 to 3 hours of airtime.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drakkel posted:

In the fiction of WWE, most of the time they show up at an arena full of fans who paid to be there, turn the live camera feed on, and then just kinda hope enough wrestlers have showed up and hate each another enough that they need to fight right then and there to fill 2 to 3 hours of airtime.

They never do and that’s why there’s only about 15 minutes of actual fighting on any given show.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

coconono posted:

an IWGP women's title was announced! I can't wait for the takes.

dont care until they let me watch stardom shows on my njpwworld sub

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

boxcarhobo posted:

dont care until they let me watch stardom shows on my njpwworld sub

This would be the thing to get me to resub too. Using the browser on a fire stick to watch Stardom is just too annoying. Guessing it won't actually happen, though, because of whatever broadcasting deals are in place? Hasn't that been an issue already?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1552858027723591680?t=7omkk4YawakDk0d5qwL0qQ&s=19

Dave not the idiot here. The replies are going batshit over him picking Mysterio.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kosmo Gallion posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1552858027723591680?t=7omkk4YawakDk0d5qwL0qQ&s=19

Dave not the idiot here. The replies are going batshit over him picking Mysterio.

I need to hear some serious arguments for 2 of the people on that list.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Hogan and Inoki, obviously.

But yes, I'm curious about Mysterio (I assume Dave is talking about Rey Jr) and Rousey.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ronda is why women's wrestling got any kind of mainstream traction. her becoming one of the top draws of UFC showed the really smart big wigs that girls are popular too and more than tits, rear end and other body parts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

Without Ronda Rousey there's no UFC women's division (or at least it takes many more years) and WWE never takes women's more seriously.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Honestly it is actually a pretty funny and whimsical take to view a wrestling federation as a collection of costumed weirdos who travel from city to city together with no real underlying purpose and book arenas to give themselves a place to hang out in for the night, and only end up facing each other in matches because they can't stop getting involved in interpersonal beefs and have mutually agreed that wrestling will be their shared method of conflict resolution

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Ronda's a weird case because her actual contributions as a wrestling PERFORMER aren't really much to write home about, but women's MMA doesn't break through to the UFC without her, and the WWE doesn't decide to start taking women's wrestling seriously again without her. As a wrestler she's modest; as a figure in the history of wrestling and combat sports she's monolithic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

The Rousey argument has already been made but for Rey the argument is that smaller wrestlers would not have had anywhere near the opportunities in indies/WWE/Mexico without Rey getting over and being a proven draw

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I have a hard time putting Cena over Flair, Austin or the Rock, maybe even the Undertaker.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cena definitely isn't a bigger draw than Flair, Austin or the Rock but easily outpaces the Undertaker who never really was able to draw on his own

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Quid posted:

I have a hard time putting Cena over Flair, Austin or the Rock, maybe even the Undertaker.

Pena.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cena definitely isn't a bigger draw than Flair, Austin or the Rock but easily outpaces the Undertaker who never really was able to draw on his own

I think Big Dave meant Antonio Peña, the AAA guy.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Juan Pena

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I should have known better than to assume a typo. Everyone knows Big Dave don't miss. After googling, the founder of AAA makes more sense. My mistake.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
It would be very funny if Dave named John Cena one of the most consequential figures in professional wrestling history.

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021
Turner, Baba, Misawa, Austin, Bischoff, Benoit, and Big Dave himself would all be high on that list.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

If we're crediting Rey for lucha coming to the united states I think Konnan would be in that conversation too.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Gail Kim and Awesome Kong were far more meaningful than fuckin Rousey

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Duke Pukem posted:

If you're looking at WWE as the most important American promotion I can see the argument, but I think at that point you have to make some choices about the division between wrestling as an art form and wrestling as a business and which one you're giving a historical narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duke Pukem posted:

TNA started pushing their literal TNA stable as the focus of the division and moved more and more towards making it a joke after the Gail and Kong feud.