Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's a whole lot of land in the west. Really makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Pffft. That's tame.

Welcome to western land realty.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Wild-Horse-Dr-San-Luis-CO-81152/2119433899_zpid/

That land isn't worth $5k.

It looks like they drew a grid in the sand in the middle of nowhere and started selling lots. There's literally nothing there (especially water).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

It looks like they drew a grid in the sand in the middle of nowhere and started selling lots. There's literally nothing there (especially water).

That’s exactly what they did

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's water in that area around 100ft down. Out at my friend's 40 acres, his well is 50 feet deep, had water above 30 feet.

But yeah, someone drew a grid a long time ago. That's about it. Now idiots buy the land as investments and lots of them wind up back at the tax office for auction a few years after sitting on the market, ignored by everyone.

There are reasons people would actually want that land. It's close to good hunting ground in the Sangres.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have a coworker around my age who loves to talk about the junkies in Seattle. He lives in a nice Kent suburb and he doesn't really leave.

Anyways check this out lmfao

This kinda stuff drives me nuts. If everything goes to plan, there will be improved infrastructure when I'm 70. Why do I care? We need to make up for the 20-30 years of infrastructure that wasn't built already and we have to do it now. Get those bulldozers out!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

This kinda stuff drives me nuts. If everything goes to plan, there will be improved infrastructure when I'm 70. Why do I care? We need to make up for the 20-30 years of infrastructure that wasn't built already and we have to do it now. Get those bulldozers out!

The key to understanding this is that the people in charge of this project don't care AT ALL. Whether the train gets built or not makes absolutely no difference to them because they probably have never taken a train in their entire life. It's helicopter or limo for them, maybe an Uber if they had to work their way up.

God I love democracy.

Apr 7, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The key to understanding this is that the people in charge of this project don't care AT ALL. Whether the train gets built or not makes absolutely no difference to them because they probably have never taken a train in their entire life. It's helicopter or limo for them, maybe an Uber if they had to work their way up.

God I love democracy.

Also we're being ruled by third and fourth generation failsons who are spending money grandpa made. They're so far removed from the concerns of normal people that they don't understand that you have to throw the people a bone now and then.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's water in that area around 100ft down. Out at my friend's 40 acres, his well is 50 feet deep, had water above 30 feet.

But yeah, someone drew a grid a long time ago. That's about it. Now idiots buy the land as investments and lots of them wind up back at the tax office for auction a few years after sitting on the market, ignored by everyone.

There are reasons people would actually want that land. It's close to good hunting ground in the Sangres.

But what kind of water rights come with that property? I know in California you get ground water rights usually by owning the land, but I thought it was significantly more locked down in Colorado? I’m not an expert though

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But what kind of water rights come with that property? I know in California you get ground water rights usually by owning the land, but I thought it was significantly more locked down in Colorado? I’m not an expert though

Under 35 acres, wells are for indoor use only. Over 35 acres, limited to 15gpm flow, irrigation limited to 1 acre.

If the land is zoned agricultural (they aren't allowing many changes from raw/residential to ag anymore), you have to buy water rights if they're not included, or plead your case for a well to the local resources boards. If someone gives up their water rights, you may be able to purchase X acre/feet, but there's a long line in front of you. First come, first serve.

If you're next to a ditch, stream, river, etc, you have no right to that water just by buying the land unless the water rights are explicitly transferred with the deed. Those chunks of land don't come up often.

Also subdivisions carved out after some year in the 70s cannot have wells. You have to have a cistern and either pay for delivery or haul it yourself.

I'm looking for land further north in the valley, where there are hot springs at or near the surface, but it doesn't come up for sale often and tends to be $2-3k/acre if you're outside the HOAs, vs $1-2k in the valley bottom.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

someone give me a house

alternatively, rig the lottery so I win $1b

if I win $1b, I will give everyone in this thread a house

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I will also buy goons houses if I get a billion dollars

I would also like a home

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Cpt_Obvious posted:

God I love democracy.

the people in charge of these projects are typically modestly capable bureacrats who want to see the project completed and done well but don't have the ability, capability, or reason to cut through the thousands of inter and intra agency meetings required to do so. the higher level managers typically make around 85-120k a year. their private sector counterparts make $175k plus. they drive hondas not limos or helicopters.

that and they are usually required by law to bid the project out with a minimum bid period, bid review period, counter-bid period etc and upon completion of that are legally required to choose the lowest bidder despite knowing that bidder wont be able to complete on time or without serious revisitation to fix their cut corner fuckups.

the american government is incapable of functioning.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have a coworker around my age who loves to talk about the junkies in Seattle. He lives in a nice Kent suburb and he doesn't really leave.

Anyways check this out lmfao

why do planning and design take 10 loving YEARS?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WampaLord posted:

promises, bribes, assessment of environmental and business impacts etc.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ammanas posted:

are legally required to choose the lowest bidder despite knowing that bidder wont be able to complete on time or without serious revisitation to fix their cut corner fuckups

Not every locality has a lowest bidder provision and even if it exists it stipulates that the lowest responsible bidder must be awarded the contract. If the lowest bidder has submitted a bid that is a obviously not realistic it can be rejected.

mawarannahr posted:

promises, bribes, assessment of environmental and business impacts etc.

There’s also the likelihood of legal challenges if eminent domain is involved at all or if it might impact anyone anywhere for any reason in a negative way.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

just enviro reviews can take a couple years. then NIMBY folks can interfere and drag it out longer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

imagine being in China and trying to explain that it's gonna take 10 years before you even start building anything

you would be laughed out of the room

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

look if we let the government do things quickly it might be wrong and wasteful, we can't have that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

imagine being in China and trying to explain that it's gonna take 10 years before you even start building anything

you would be laughed out of the room

start designing actually, the engineering work does actually take time, even in china

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

start designing actually, the engineering work does actually take time, even in china

i do get that we can't do this poo poo in a weekend but surely there is a time frame much smaller than 10 years in which this could be accomplished if our country wasn't a nightmare of grifters who have to get their cut along the way

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

WampaLord posted:

i do get that we can't do this poo poo in a weekend but surely there is a time frame much smaller than 10 years in which this could be accomplished if our country wasn't a nightmare of grifters who have to get their cut along the way

That’s not really why these things don’t happen quickly. Sure, there’s graft, but you can still move things along very quickly even with graft. Plenty of CCP officials get very wealthy in China but things still happen. The bigger issue is that America is structured, legally and legislatively, to make it tremendously difficult for the government to do anything if people with money oppose it, and people with money oppose most good things so it’s effectively impossible to do them.

Any government action can be stalled almost indefinitely through legal challenges if the other party is sufficiently motivated and well funded. And if you stall it long enough you can probably get the voters to change their minds through political advertising.

Apr 7, 2003

lol sure why not

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Not the worst, nice blue color. And bricks!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If it's two stories, why is the square footage the same as the lot size

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

If it's two stories, why is the square footage the same as the lot size

might have a small yard in back

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Parking spot.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The thing that really depresses me about the Puget Sound light rail poo poo is the station by me is finally going to open in a couple of years, and now there's a loving airborne virus that I have to make sure I take precautions about when doing things like riding public transit.

And that's without even considering the lovely loving history behind rail around here. Back in 1968 and again in 1970, a bunch of assholes around here turned down nearly a billion dollars in federal funding for a subway because taxes would have gone up a tiny little bit to pay for our part of the construction. So Atlanta got it instead.

In the same votes, they decided it would be a good idea to use public money to fund this loving thing which was demolished more than 20 years ago (so, less than 30 years of use), with the public bonds used to finance it only being paid off just a few years back.

Apr 7, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Parking spot.

It's street parking, there's a patio out back.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Maybe Im hosed in the head but it bothers me less than things like one realtor legally representing seller & buyer

This ended up being how we bought our house, because I found a listing I wanted to look at and it turned out to be one of the listings of the realtor we had already been working with, and liked. Even pre 2020 it was a low volume scene up here, and after agonizing over it, I was not convinced that going and finding some other agent to represent us as buyers and add another party to the thing at that point was going to in any way save us money. The buyer wanted what they wanted, we paid ~10-15% under listing after negotiation, and lol actually if we hadn't done that at that exact moment in time then we would have been looking for houses in.... mid to late 2020.
Lol. I have done the math and if we bought this place today on a 30 year our payments would be close to double what they are on the 23 year (19 left) mortgage we have at present. (We wouldn't get approved for a mortgage for that amount and would not have been able to make a 15% down payment on the current valuation, either).

It all seems completely hosed and we know people who have literally left the state because they couldn't find a rental because they are all AirBNBs now.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Jul 28, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

palindrome posted:

Not the worst, nice blue color. And bricks!

If there is anything I love the most, it's painted brick.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blue brick houses own

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

I'm imagining the type of people prepared to put that kind of money towards a house are also the type to have their stomach drop walking down that nearby part of federal street past the library by the beer store/adan market.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WampaLord posted:

EIS and planning requirements to make sure NIMBYs have one million chances to sue the transit authority and derail the project but actually the reason is Sound Transit has statutory bonding authority limits and is not legally allowed to raise the money to build this stuff any quicker, rip

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My mortgage was just sold to a corporate entity doing business as "Mr. Cooper."

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My mortgage was sold to this company back in Nov 2020. They are a collection of idiots and I have no idea how to get away from them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the white hand posted:

Blue brick houses own

:hai:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
"Mr. C"

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Nationwide sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/MitchellLlama/status/1553060582483542017

Heard of a new scam on the radio. Company is offering to buy houses and "you get to keep your home and you unlock all of the equity!" So basically they buy your house and rent it back to you at whatever the market rate is for rentals.

I've decided that I'm going to start replying to those "we'll buy your house!" texts with an offer of "Buy it for $500,000 as-is, no inspection, my only offer" which is like 2x what the already inflated market is, hopefully that puts a stop to them