Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nah, my most recent job paid about 33% as much, was three times as hard, had people breathing down my neck all the time, no paid time off, no insurance for a decade since leaving school, etc.

For people who work retail and warehouses, even the shittiest tech job is like manna from heaven.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's very true and an absolutely relevant point. I think it's something to keep in the back of your head because if you can do this job with a good amount of bullshit, you can do a similar job with less bullshit. No one should have to do a poo poo job for poo poo pay, but you're in a field where you don't have to put up with that stuff long term if you don't want to.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your direct boss may be good, but the exec behavior is completely toxic and it will wear you down over time.

I totally get that if you're new to the industry/the job not wanting to move on right away, but keep this behavior in mind, watch for other red flags, and get out when you've got what you need.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I interviewed at a company yesterday and their WFH policy is:
- You come into the office at least one day of the week. You decide with the team which day that is. No, your manager is not involved in that.
- The office only covers about 60% of the workforce so we need you to wfh, really. We can't seat everybody.
- Your start and end times are flexible, and even during the required hours if you have something to take care off, just agree with your team.

As far as my region is concerned, that's pretty wild and liberal. Their personal development and PTO policy is also pretty good. I'm going to be sad if this doesn't work out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

My favorite was "I'm the only person left on my team. I'm doing the job of four people. You refused to let me hire. I have a job offer for 3x what I'm making now. What are you going to do when I quit? PS this is my resignation."

lmao

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dude's already becoming a legend internally.

He was fairly highly placed too. Fifteen-year tenure. "Architect" title. Once ran a team of six. He and his team are business-critical for an entire segment of customers.

Apparently he was terminated less than an hour after that meeting.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Well I mean… they got beaten to the punch

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah they owe that guy his notice

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

Dude's already becoming a legend internally.

He was fairly highly placed too. Fifteen-year tenure. "Architect" title. Once ran a team of six. He and his team are business-critical for an entire segment of customers.

Apparently he was terminated less than an hour after that meeting.
You can't really reply to "I quit" with "no actually you're fired" without looking worse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If they terminated him he should apply for unemployment, and drag them through the appeals process just to piss them off. (Yes, I know he would lose, but it would still be awesome.)

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 29, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ConfusedUs posted:

PS anyone hiring for a Product Manager, Technical Project Manager, or Senior (non-technical) Project Manager?

Sent you a PM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Our boss is super awesome so he was telling us how they've been tracking since rto - the execs are tracking both badge swipes to get into the building as well as work laptop network activity being from in office vs at home.

Where I work they did this with contractors and time cards, audit them all and any discrepancies you get fired if they are having a bad quarter or they don't really like you

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I've spent the last three weeks trying to work with Palo Alto Network's Client Management and Technical Support teams for the first time ever and I want to throw these loving firewalls out of a window

Bounced around between three different sales reps/client managers, tech support is just copy/pasting me paragraphs from articles I've found on my own, I have begged and pleaded and browbeat for escalation and it just doesn't go anywhere. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather be dealing with freaking Sonicwall than these people at this point. Thankfully we've moved to Fortinet for basically our whole network stack now and I have had nothing but positive experiences with them so far.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I've spent the last three weeks trying to work with Palo Alto Network's Client Management and Technical Support teams for the first time ever and I want to throw these loving firewalls out of a window

Bounced around between three different sales reps/client managers, tech support is just copy/pasting me paragraphs from articles I've found on my own, I have begged and pleaded and browbeat for escalation and it just doesn't go anywhere. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather be dealing with freaking Sonicwall than these people at this point. Thankfully we've moved to Fortinet for basically our whole network stack now and I have had nothing but positive experiences with them so far.

Palo’s technical support has really poo poo the bed over the last couple of years. It’s a real pain for a lot of people.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

In more funny than annoying, this morning's test phishing email was Pantera talking about the new bread bowls. :allears: Simple but funny.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Fortinet is better than basically anyone else at this point.

Their support used to be even better, at this point I'd say it's OK to Good instead of Good to Outstanding; I'm waiting for them to bring it down to SonicWALL levels at some point.

The only time I've had issues with Fortisupport is when we're hitting some bug/edge case of the device/application we're using.

*edit*

It has been a few years since I had to call them, I've mostly been supporting ASA and SonicWALL devices at this point, though new job is swapping to Fortinet from SonicWALL as their preferred firewall.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 1, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All support has gone to poo poo in the last couple of years

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

QuickBooks [any] 2020-2022 R5. Super broken because of the new built-in browser replacing IE. gently caress Intuit, forever and always.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/other-questions/quickbook-desktop-2022-crashing-and-stops-working/00/1091517

Update from Intuit:

quote:

we don't have a fix yet, have you tried holding down the Alt key immediately after logging into the company file? please send us your crash logs tia

Garbage company.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’m frankly amazed they don’t suggest holding down ALT-F4 to submit the logs. Probably do just as much good.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I wish I could go back in time and punch the person that installed the racks in my department. The racks themselves are perfectly fine, tapped holes instead of square. But when they installed the power strips, they didn't mount them flush to the inside of the rails so they stick out 3 mm or so on each side. Then you have the outlets that stick out even further. If I have a deep server, I get to play where can I mount this?

I would remove them and switch over to horizontal PDUs but it looks like they are bolted in with the bolt head between the racks. So to remove them I'd have to pretty much cut them out with a reciprocating saw which is the exact thing to use around broadcast equipment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's nice tog et out of the house but it's annoying when there are like 8 safety alerts in a day. (Chemical plant)

First of the month test
Lightning alert
High wind alert
Level 0 leak of something
Purging of something notice

Gotta stop where you're doing, lock your station, go around the corner to the board, stand there until it's done, go back...interruptions suck

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
We used to require people to take portable oxygen bottles with them in the offhand chance we had an agent leak but that kinda went away.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

diremonk posted:

I wish I could go back in time and punch the person that installed the racks in my department. The racks themselves are perfectly fine, tapped holes instead of square. But when they installed the power strips, they didn't mount them flush to the inside of the rails so they stick out 3 mm or so on each side. Then you have the outlets that stick out even further. If I have a deep server, I get to play where can I mount this?

I would remove them and switch over to horizontal PDUs but it looks like they are bolted in with the bolt head between the racks. So to remove them I'd have to pretty much cut them out with a reciprocating saw which is the exact thing to use around broadcast equipment.

Could use an oscillating tool (that's what she said) with a metal cutting blade, but if they're hardened bolts it'll take quite a few blades and those tools (the cordless ones anyway) aren't cheap. They're definitely the best choice for ticklish cutting jobs with limited clearance to sensitive things though - case in point, a week ago I cut a 1" rigid conduit open without damaging most of the wires inside (stupid ground wire was apparently right up against the edge of the conduit), and more importantly without damaging the gas line that was an inch away. Sure, it took me an hour and three $12 blades, but compared to the rear end-puckering alternative, it was the best option. I now have a deep understanding of why modern code for combined service trenches specifies a foot of separation between gas and electric - thanks 1970s utilities people!

But yeah, gently caress people who install racks without thinking ahead, it's the worst kind of uncaring "not my problem" attitude.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did a pentest for a client last week. This week they get an alert from their firewall about a connection to a suss IP. Ask me if it was me, I check what they've got and I can tell them with 100% certainty that I am not working for that particular APT group, and also all my activities ended on Friday morning.

They now assume that I know "something" and am happy to help with DFIR. I'm not sure they realise that my company is not their company, and we will expect to get paid for my time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

It's nice tog et out of the house but it's annoying when there are like 8 safety alerts in a day. (Chemical plant)

First of the month test
Lightning alert
High wind alert
Level 0 leak of something
Purging of something notice

Gotta stop where you're doing, lock your station, go around the corner to the board, stand there until it's done, go back...interruptions suck

The alternative is being on the scene of an industrial accident so I'll take the opportunity to stand outside for a bit

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The alternative is being on the scene of an industrial accident so I'll take the opportunity to stand outside for a bit

You don't go outside silly.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Yeah clearly someone who hasn’t worked around clouds of death

If you can see the air, you need to RUN the other way

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

As someone who used to think being in meetings was cool cause it got you off the phones, now that I'm going to a role that is less phone based, I can see these meetings wasting my time. Most of the meetings I've had this week could have been an email

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
‘Ah yes I’m going to be serious business’ I think as my calendar fills up with meetings. Weeks later I’m haggard, a shell of a man, screaming on mute as another meeting turns into whatever random bullshit the biggest boss in the room decided to talk about

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As someone who used to think being in meetings was cool cause it got you off the phones, now that I'm going to a role that is less phone based, I can see these meetings wasting my time. Most of the meetings I've had this week could have been an email

The aim should be to get involved with neither

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

i am a moron posted:

‘Ah yes I’m going to be serious business’ I think as my calendar fills up with meetings. Weeks later I’m haggard, a shell of a man, screaming on mute as another meeting turns into whatever random bullshit the biggest boss in the room decided to talk about

Tip - Don't accidentally lean on the keyboard and press the space key to unmute when screaming on 'mute'.

It didn't end well for me :suicide:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Screaming/ranting on mute is like playing with a loaded gun while the safety is on.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've ragemuted exactly once, last year, when I vented some extreme frustration with the Scrum process during the daily stand-up, and the Scrum master just went "ok" and moved to the next person.

I've since then gone back to not giving a poo poo about anything. :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just absolutely god drat HP, wretched manufacturers of horse poo poo hardware. Completely irredeemable

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I loving hate it, but I include our sales account reps on every production level ticket I submit to some vendors now because I'm tired of "Did you google stackoverflow or read some forums or check this KB article... yeah I know you said you tried the KB steps already but try it again with some passion!" when I need someone on a phone/webex.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Me: "Hello I am having a problem. The error message is [error message text] and it occurs at [stage in the process where it errors]. I have also attached some screenshots to provide context."
HPE Support, five hours later: "Hello I will be supporting you today. Could you please let me know what error message you are getting and what component is giving that error?"

:fuckoff:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Per my previous ticket entry,

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Me: "Hello I am having a problem. The error message is [error message text] and it occurs at [stage in the process where it errors]. I have also attached some screenshots to provide context."
HPE Support, five hours later: "Hello I will be supporting you today. Could you please let me know what error message you are getting and what component is giving that error?"

:fuckoff:

It's even more egregious when you ask for spare parts with the insight online services shipping the iLO logs hourly to HPE services. Why the gently caress are you asking me the logs when you pretty much have root on my servers management layer?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had two laptops come across my (home office) desk lately, both HP, both loving AMD stale dorito chipsets. One, upon closing the lid or going to sleep, the fan just goes on max plus tax and stays that way until battery dies or you hard shutdown. The other, just slow af but will. not. boot. from USB. BIOS up to date, nothing else seems out of place, but I'm just hosed as far as clean installing Windows goes. So much for that SSD upgrade.

I never want to see another HP device as long as I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

counter-anecdote: My last two jobs have issued HP elite books and I havent had a single issue with them.