Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Demon Days
Gorillaz
Plastic Beach
Song Machine
Humanz
The Now Now
The Fall

Boring list, but I love those first 3 albums so much. Sometimes self titled is over demon days though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Plastic Beach really feels like the most cohesive album. Some of the tracks are messy but as a whole it just works for me more than any of the others. It just has a mood that nothing else comes close to.

That and Damon's yet to put out a track better than Empire Ants or Melancholy Hill.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I flip back and forth between PB and DD as the best album. They're both 5 star albums imo. The debut is great too but sounds the most dated.

Humanz is super solid even though some tracks in the latter half (of the main album, not the deluxe version) feel half-baked. The run from Ascension through to Busted and Blue is one of the best groupings of tracks in their discography though.

I go back to the Now Now less and less these days but it's still alright. It just feels like a Damon solo album with a guest star or two.

Song Machine rules.

I thiiiink I'd go

Demon Days
Plastic Beach (very close to DD, almost a tie)
Song Machine
Gorillaz
Humanz
The Now Now
The Fall

D-Sides is almost a cohesive album itself, but I don't know where I'd rank it. I don't listen to G-Sides much, it feels more like a thrown together compilation. I wish we'd gotten Sea Sides back in the day.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Top 10 songs:

1. El Mañana
2. Empire Ants
3. Andromeda
4. Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
5. Aries
6. Feel Good Inc
7. Désolé
8. Don't Get Lost/Demon Days (they run together so they make it as one)
9. Opium

For number 10 I can't decide between:
- Out Of Body
- Submission
- To Binge
- Rhinestone Eyes

The new song Silent Running is definitely going to make my top 10 list when it's out, I can't stop listening to the live version, it's sublime.

e: (see below) I'm an idiot and forgot one of my favourite songs of all time, Hong Kong

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 29, 2022

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Top 10s are so hard because this band has so many good tracks but right now I'm feeling

10. Faust
9. Dare
8. Friday 13th
7. Sweepstakes
6. Man Research
5. All Alone
4. Out of Body
3. Desole
2. Halfway to the Halfway House
1. DoYaThing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God I forgot DoYaThing because I only flicked through the main alb--

OH gently caress I forgot Hong Kong, that's like my 2nd favourite of all time by them :qq:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just gonna go off the cuff top 3 because how can you pick when it comes to this kind of output
3. November Has Come
2. Pink Phantom
1. Kansas

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
3. submission
2. every planet we reach is dead
1. she’s my collar

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
No respect for Slow Country in this thread. Shameful

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

3. submission
2. every planet we reach is dead
1. she’s my collar

Submission is like my #11 it's so good

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

5. desolé
4. latin simone
3. hong kong
2. sleeping powder
1. empire ants

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

scary ghost dog posted:

1. she’s my collar

So underrated and gets better every time I hear it, just like Charger

Humanz has some fuckin amazing songs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh read the story about how Charger was conceived and recorded, it's kinda cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charger_(song)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Oh read the story about how Charger was conceived and recorded, it's kinda cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charger_(song)

wanna hear those other versions real bad

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

scary ghost dog posted:

wanna hear those other versions real bad

If you haven't heard the Super Deluxe version of Humanz yet, give it a try.

Not all the tracks are winners but there are some really interesting alternate versions, like a completely different version of Andromeda with many more lyrics from D.R.A.M., and Carnival extended as a full 4 minute song rather than a 2 minute sketch, including a 2D verse that really should have been on the album.

And Garage Palace is a full original song that had its own video, that should have been at least on the regular Deluxe if not the main album.

I have all the songs saved along with Sleeping Powder as a "H-Sides" playlist.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just gonna go off the cuff top 3 because how can you pick when it comes to this kind of output
3. November Has Come
2. Pink Phantom
1. Kansas

Pink Phantom hits some kind of vulnerable spot in me. Something about the melancholic, wistful vibe, or maybe it's just having Elton loving John on a Gorillaz track. It's easily my #1 song on Song Machine, and probably #2 overall after Don't Get Lost In Heaven/Demon Days.

I just bought tickets to see them in September! It'll be my first time seeing them in person, and my first live show in years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Submission would be a top five track if not for Danny Brown's verse. It just hits you like a truck and feels like it doesn't mesh with the rest of it.

1. Empire Ants
2. Melancholy Hill
3. Hong Kong
4. El Mañana
5. Sound Check (Gravity)

stev fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 29, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
5. Re-hash
4. Latin Simone
3. Demon days
2. November has come
1. Tomorrow comes today

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

stev posted:

Submission would be a top five track if not for Danny Brown's verse. It just hits you like a truck and feels like it doesn't mesh with the rest of it.

1. Empire Ants
2. Melancholy Hill
3. Hong Kong
4. El Mañana
5. Sound Check (Gravity)

That verse brings me to tears. And not even kidding. HE REALLY SAYING SOME poo poo MAN

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

danny brown's verse makes that song. i struggled with not finding a place for it on my top 5 but i love too many gorillaz songs

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
1. Stylo
2. Hong Kong
3. Rock the House
4. Strobelite
5. Aries

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Favorite from each album:

1. Tomorrow Comes today
Bonus single: rockit
2. November has come
3. Cloud of unknowing
Bonus single: doncamatic
4. The fall - n/a. I don’t listen to this at all
5. Submission
Bonus single: garage palace
6. Tranz
7. MLS

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The REAL Goobusters posted:

4. The fall - n/a. I don’t listen to this at all

Give Revolving Doors a listen now. It slaps

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Amarillo is also an excellent cut off of The Fall

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aspen Forest is also good

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Fall and Plastic Beach rank pretty low for me because Damon self-produced them and boy does it show. Every time a Plastic Beach track slips into my shuffle I can’t help but notice “this is brilliantly composed but sounds muddy as hell”

Anyways The Now Now sucks, Gorillaz album exclusively sold at Starbucks

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hey how much did the Gorillaz NFTs sell for and what are they worth now

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It has a couple of great tracks but really it is to Humanz what The Fall is to Plastic Beach.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey how much did the Gorillaz NFTs sell for and what are they worth now
There weren't any, at least not officially

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Why are you guys talking about Humanz with such a sense of historical context it just came out 28 april

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Walrus posted:

Why are you guys talking about Humanz with such a sense of historical context it just came out 28 april

It's five years old now and the days of artists only being able to release two albums a decade and still do alright for themselves are long over. Weezer's releasing four albums this year, get with the times grandpa.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
*points to thread title*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That verse brings me to tears. And not even kidding. HE REALLY SAYING SOME poo poo MAN

Obligatory

https://twitter.com/fixyourheartsor/status/1430954697003839495?t=FSyoYaAffA3WAOQrfSp5nQ&s=19

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If a mod reads this could the thread title be changed to Gorillaz - new album probably in 2022, single out now

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think what makes Cracker Island really insidious is there’s almost no preamble, just four quick notes and then “welcome to the backing soundtrack of your every waking moment for the next two weeks”

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I saw an interview with Damon where the reporter showed him this tweet and he said "yes absolutely this is what we do"

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

I've known vaguely about Gorillaz before, but only since the Cracker Island video came out have I gone back and listened to more than the popular singles. I don't really like the rap-focused tracks, but I really love the vibe of The Now Now. It's the first album in a long time that I've enjoyed listening to all the way through, several times over the last few days. Usually I rely on Spotify for my music and listen to a bunch of playlists and individual songs without focusing much on who the artists are. In general I don't know a lot about music genres and influences. I want to, though! What are some artists or albums that you would recommend me if I want find more music like this album?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe like... The Avalanches? Broken Bells? Hard to give more recommendations that aren't hiphop focused.. Theres not much that sounds like just the Gorillaz since they use sooooo many influences.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Okua posted:

I've known vaguely about Gorillaz before, but only since the Cracker Island video came out have I gone back and listened to more than the popular singles. I don't really like the rap-focused tracks, but I really love the vibe of The Now Now. It's the first album in a long time that I've enjoyed listening to all the way through, several times over the last few days. Usually I rely on Spotify for my music and listen to a bunch of playlists and individual songs without focusing much on who the artists are. In general I don't know a lot about music genres and influences. I want to, though! What are some artists or albums that you would recommend me if I want find more music like this album?

weirdly the bad that The Now Now most reminds me of is Ween. check out The Mollusk

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/rec3de/status/1558515524971159553?s=20&t=fjBy0-L1IQ6s6HgLFY04ag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Okua posted:

Maybe Graham Coxon's solo stuff? He was the lead guitarist and secondary lead singer in Blur, the other huge band that Gorillaz' Damon Albarn was in

Ohhh and Damon Albarn's solo albums too of course, if you really like the 2D only songs in Gorillaz' catalogue. Plus his other side projects like The Good The Bad and The Queen.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 13, 2022