Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

"We've Been Trying To Reach You About Your Car's Extended Warranty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

`Nemesis posted:

If the Kia/Hyundai theft problem hasn't reached your area yet, it's about to.

Anyone with any insight--or even anecdotal poo poo--on whether this is yet another moral panic the police are using to justify their existence, or if there's really One Weird Trick to stealing Korean cars and lol chaos reigns?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Anyone with any insight--or even anecdotal poo poo--on whether this is yet another moral panic the police are using to justify their existence, or if there's really One Weird Trick to stealing Korean cars and lol chaos reigns?

It originated here in Milwaukee, and it's a huge problem.

Kia's and Hyundais didn't have immobilizers until 2022 models, so any of their cars that is started with a key can be stolen like this: break plastic off steering column, twist a metal nub on what remains of the ignition, drive away. a usb flash drive works perfectly to manipulate the ignition once the plastic is removed or broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbTrLyqL_nw

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It does kind of look like you can start the affected models just by bridging some contacts with a suitably shaped chunk of metal, like a USB plug - and if it really is that simple it sounds like a bit of a problem. You still need to get into the car, of course.

A quick skim of Google didn't find any clear documentation of exactly what the problem is, so I hope someone else can find a good reference.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My friend literally starts her car with a USB drive because her Hyundai was stolen and she can't get parts for it, months of parts backlogs for ignition components.

If you break the rear window out and open the rear door, the "alarm" doesn't sound on any of their cars either.

Edit: I can get a picture or video of how she starts her car next time i see if there is interest

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 29, 2022

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
2022?! Are immobilizers not mandatory in the US? They've been required here for over two decades now.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
can't live free under such massive regulatory burdens

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I genuinely thought they were mandatory like at 2000. Color me surprised.

To contribute,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

`Nemesis posted:

can't live free under such massive regulatory burdens

And yet this is the country that enacted 85mph speedometers and automatic seatbelts

e: also the country that got rid of them

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I remember learning immobilizers were mandatory in the US since 1998 but it turns out that was two other big markets (Germany and UK) requiring them. Everyone added it to their ignitions to keep the SKUs aligned so we tended to see them introduced around that model year.

I’m pretty sure you got a good discount on comprehensive insurance here for having one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Immobilizers definitely weren't mandatory at least as late as 2002; my TJ doesn't have one.

You can also unzip your way into the drat thing so I don't even bother locking the doors.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Jeeps and Dodge Pickups were the hot things to steal around here. My 1999 Cherokee was stolen out of my driveway 5-6 years ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol you could steal a superduty with a flathead screwdriver and a piece of swiss cheese.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Kinda relevant but I could use the key from my 2002 Corolla to unlock the drivers side of our 90's? work Hiace, and then start it. Wouldn't work on the passenger side, sliding door or tailgate though.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Lol, agree with the other poster that this whole thing feels so much like an urban legend. Would love some video/pic confirmation that this works. When I have time, gonna go check out snopes

Were they trying to patch that huge tire by just putting many many tire plugs into it? And in the sidewall no less lol. I guess they did it…

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect that's a field-expedient repair just to get it rolling and holding air just long enough to drive to wherever they can replace the tire.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

quote:

A survey of several Milwaukee area police departments revealed just how sharp the increase was in 2021.

Many of the larger municipalities saw an increase of more than 75% in reported vehicle thefts from 2020 to 2021.

Meanwhile, data from the Milwaukee Police Department showed an increase of 132% in vehicle thefts from 2020 to 2021. In 2020, 4,509 vehicles were reported stolen in Milwaukee. In 2021, that number rose to 10,472.

Newer Kia and Hyundai models have been thieves' main targets, as some have found ways to steal the vehicles without triggering alarms. In the first half of 2021, 66% of the cars stolen in Milwaukee were Hyundais or Kias.

the article is paywalled, but just search for kia thefts in Milwaukee and you'll find tons of stories about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Data Graham posted:

drat I wish that had sound.

Right? You can see that they're barking at the camera. It's probably adorable.

`Nemesis posted:

Well. Glad we sold out Kia, then?
(I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, which includes Arlington.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

Some 12 year old is going to lose their job over this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I genuinely thought they were mandatory like at 2000. Color me surprised.

They weren't mandatory in Canada until 2007.

2005 F-250s still didn't have them in Canada.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I briefly worked at a Honda dealer in the early '00s and I can tell you that stealing a 90's Honda was comically easy and definitely not an overblown urban legend.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slothrop posted:

Kinda relevant but I could use the key from my 2002 Corolla to unlock the drivers side of our 90's? work Hiace, and then start it. Wouldn't work on the passenger side, sliding door or tailgate though.

I bought an 89 vw. And then my dad bought a 92. We both had the same 2 digit key code, which made moving cars easy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Guess that caliper is done finally. Started pulling hard right and shaking the whole truck a mile or two from the house, finished the drive at 15mph. Now I need to determine which brake option this thing has then replace the whole front brake system, did the brake master last winter.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 30, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

NitroSpazzz posted:

Guess that caliper is done finally. Started pulling hard right and shaking the whole truck a mile or two from the house, finished the drive at 15mph. Now I need to determine which brake option this thing has then replace the whole front brake system, did the brake master last winter.

Let it cool down 23 more degrees and that's a niiiice.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Add more weasels.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Horrible mechanics failure from helping a friend with brakes:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

i bet that made a noise

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nitrogen posted:

I was a partsman for a large repair shop in the early 90s (rear drums were still the norm) and seeing horribly assembled brakes when popping the drum off was super common.. probably 25%+ of the time. From wheel cylinder stuff like this to springs attached in the wrong spot (or not attached at all) or totally non-functioning adjusters.

I do not miss drum brakes.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
My first year working at my old job, a customer brought in his beater Oldsmobile Calais in for us to put his rear drum brakes back together with the new parts he bought, openly admitting he took them apart and had no idea how to put any of it back together. There was a small dirty box on the passenger seat full of both the old and new hardware and shoe sets, and upon getting it up in the air and pulling the wheels, I discovered that the only reason the leaking wheel cylinders didn't blow apart while he drove it was that they were secured with radiator hose clamps. :psyduck:

That shop saw an average of at least one job per week that would come in with dumb poo poo like: both primary shoes on one side and both secondary shoes on the other side, seized star-wheel adjusters installed backwards and nowhere near the bent actuator levers, backwards return springs, bent/compromised anchor pins, and so on. :negative:

I don't miss any of that poo poo either.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

`Nemesis posted:

i bet that made a noise

JB Weld it back

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

nitrogen posted:

Thank goodness I checked YouTube videos while I cleaned up and ate some lunch, because the brake adjuster grommet gizmo is installed backwards. I would have put them both in backwards had I not checked.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Root Bear posted:

My first year working at my old job, a customer brought in his beater Oldsmobile Calais in for us to put his rear drum brakes back together with the new parts he bought, openly admitting he took them apart and had no idea how to put any of it back together. There was a small dirty box on the passenger seat full of both the old and new hardware and shoe sets, and upon getting it up in the air and pulling the wheels, I discovered that the only reason the leaking wheel cylinders didn't blow apart while he drove it was that they were secured with radiator hose clamps. :psyduck:

That shop saw an average of at least one job per week that would come in with dumb poo poo like: both primary shoes on one side and both secondary shoes on the other side, seized star-wheel adjusters installed backwards and nowhere near the bent actuator levers, backwards return springs, bent/compromised anchor pins, and so on. :negative:

I don't miss any of that poo poo either.

I've only done a full rebuild of drums once but it was on a 70's Plymouth that hadn't been serviced in over 20 years and had been sitting in the woods for just as long. it took me about 4 days to do just the fronts and i said gently caress it on the rears for the time being since they weren't leaking or seized, just not working. i ended it up selling it not long after so hope that dude had fun

the only time i've ever had an issue on discs was with my 84 300zx. you had to twist the piston while pushing it in to get it to compress and i spent about an hour cranking the poo poo out of some c clamps before i went to the parts store and bought the Haynes and the specialty tool for it (that you don't need but i tried the needle nose trick first and that was a pain in the rear end)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Like 3000 a year starting in 2020 in Milwaukee. There’s a doc on YouTube called “Kia boys” a guy here already made.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Meanwhile the rear drums on the better halfs Tiida have STILL got 3mm of material left on them at 260K kms, and the thing STILL stops like you hit a bus when you nail the anchors.

I'm replacing them purely because they're now 16 year old brake shoes.

About the worst thing I've ever done with drum brakes was getting the boxes mixed up after 3 months when i did the full chassis up rebuild of my Hilux and put the left hardware on teh right hand side etc. The Hilux uses the handbrake to adjust the brake shoe clearance as they wear, so when you put the adjusters in on the wrong sides, they COMPRESS when you pull on the handbrake and all of a sudden your brakes get worse and worse and worse every time you park. That took some head scratching to work out!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I'm literally the guy from '80s beer commercials who will stand around/help with car poo poo if you feed me and maybe provide some beer, and I've done lots of drums so every once in a while I'm asked to help. Only do one side so you can refer back to the other side for reference and it's not terrible, also you want to have one of the special spring wrangling tools. My grandpa knocked out three teeth trying to use vice grips to remove a spring.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
God. Fuckin drum brakes.
I've only ever owned 3 cars ever and still own two of them, but my Tacoma has, and is the only vehicle I've ever owned with drum brakes. I've worked on them before so I know its not some impossible magic voodoo poo poo, but I'm not looking forward to having to gently caress with them. Luckily, the thing is practically brand new so I likely won't have to worry about it for 10 years or so.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Drum brakes are adequate. Just too many moving parts in there for what they do.
As far as I can tell, the only reason anyone uses them is that they're somehow cheaper - I guess the parking brake part? - than disc brakes, and the fact that in certain use cases, you can get more brake in the same rim by widening the shoe and drum, whereas more brake in discs might require a larger diameter wheel.
Literally everything else, discs do better. Self adjusting, wet performance, repeated stop performance (cooling). Oh, I guess drums are less drag since they can be adjusted to fully retract from the braking surface while discs still make a little contact...

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Be thankful that you don't have manually adjusting drums on the front.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Easy drums.

Adjuster, wheel cylinder, 2 springs, 2 shoes.
Pull the front shoe off the adjuster by hand, take off the top spring by hand. Pull the front shoe off the wheel cylinder by hand, take off the bottom spring by hand. Rotate the top of the rear shoe towards you to pull it off the handbrake lever. Done. Downside: manual adjuster (but done by 5/16 wrench, not blind flopping with a screwdriver)

Horrible tire scoliosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Oddhair posted:

I'm literally the guy from '80s beer commercials who will stand around/help with car poo poo if you feed me and maybe provide some beer, and I've done lots of drums so every once in a while I'm asked to help. Only do one side so you can refer back to the other side for reference and it's not terrible, also you want to have one of the special spring wrangling tools. My grandpa knocked out three teeth trying to use vice grips to remove a spring.

The last set I did I abandoned my fancy brake tools for putting the springs back on, vice grips were a lot faster and seemed safer too.