Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohtori Akio posted:

I got to sit in on a naginata class the other day and I think I'm going to attend there as well. High-dan shiai live in person is electric I can't get enough of this environment.

They've also all been very chill about a visibly trans person at practice and word is most shiai for like tests are gender-combined anyways. I'm not about to be on a serious competitive team anyways, I just want to play with fake swords.

My feet still hurt.

Shinsa (examinations) will be gender-combined, shiai (competitions) are usually segregated, although smaller ones may be combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Shinsa (examinations) will be gender-combined, shiai (competitions) are usually segregated, although smaller ones may be combined.

The way the words have been used around me so far are 'shiai' for any full sparring (inclusive of the matches for shinsa, tournament, and training) and 'taikai' denoting a tournament event. Which parts of this understanding are incorrect?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Shiai is a tournament-match. Shiai is only used in relation to competitions.
Taikai is the whole tournament
Shinsa is the whole examination and jitsugi is the actual match. (Skill demonstration).
The term keiko(geiko) is used a lot depending on situation and really just mean training.
Kihon-geiko (basic training)
Ji-geiko. (sparring, 'mutual training')
etc..

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Thank you, that's very helpful. I probably misremembered context for some of the terms.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My tournament is this Friday and y'all I am the opposite of prepared for this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ohtori Akio posted:

Gym floor, I'm sure it's a new trainee thing. The posture in kendo is heels up all the time so you're putting a lot of shear force through the skin of your forefoot. If I ever drop a heel it picks up traction immediately and I nearly fall over. Kendo rules.
I see, yeah, it's probably more of a time thing, which will probably include calluses and stuff.

One of our sister clubs in a small town about 30 minutes away runs their classes 2x a week in a church meeting room (the kind of place where you'd do receptions and luncheons) and it's on a linoleum over concrete floor. You want to talk about a lovely floor to train on. Yeesh. I actually don't do drop ins there anymore because it's so awful.

EdsTeioh posted:

My tournament is this Friday and y'all I am the opposite of prepared for this.
Prepared as in nerves? That's 100% understandable.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

I see, yeah, it's probably more of a time thing, which will probably include calluses and stuff.

One of our sister clubs in a small town about 30 minutes away runs their classes 2x a week in a church meeting room (the kind of place where you'd do receptions and luncheons) and it's on a linoleum over concrete floor. You want to talk about a lovely floor to train on. Yeesh. I actually don't do drop ins there anymore because it's so awful.

Prepared as in nerves? That's 100% understandable.

Yeah, that's the big thing, but I also feel like I've been slacking a little with my training. I've been having bangup sparring sessions lately and even managed to score points against our class ace (for the first time), but I feel sort of "out of gear." My son hit a roadblock with his training where he's having a hard time breaking boards at the moment and I feel like I'm spending a lot of time trying to give him pep talks, and him being in the dumps pulls ME down as well. I'm sure it'll be fine and with a tournament this big, my only real goal is to do my best, but man, it's daunting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, if it helps it's perfectly normal to have off days, or even weeks. I don't sleep very well most days and the resultant days are just "blah" and I'm typically just not feeling it and my training often reflects it.

BUT, you really need to train on the days that you can, especially with a tournament coming up. Or I do.. It helps me at least. It's about the only thing you can do to physically prepare and helps with my mental state too. Just don't train to the point of injury. And get used to sparring with multiple techniques. Not just a one and done.

That said, when I had my BB test last month, I was a training machine, 5-7 times per week for 9 months, and I *still* felt so nervous I was almost physically ill and had a spectacular brain fart. Short of some sort of mental exercises that I have no clue how to do, I don't know what I could have done any different.

With the breaking, are they just for a demo or something or does he need to do it for a test? For us, color belts we don't break boards for testing until the candidate level but we'll periodically let the senior belts try some if the BB/candidates are working on them.

How big are they? We exclusively use 1" thick dimensional lumber, but I know some other TKD associations use thin "demo" boards of various thicknesses.

What breaks is he doing? As in specific techniques? One thing I can suggest for the breaker, other than the basics that I'm sure your instructors help you with, is a reminder of following through. Even if your technique isn't great and you hit poorly, follow through will make a big difference. A lot of people stop at the boards. Last weekend when we had the senior BB testing with Grand Master, there were a couple that struggled with their breaks with the same number of boards that I did, but even though my technique wasn't great, one of them specifically didn't have great follow through and had a tough time. My technique was flawed but I have strength and good follow through (my hand was right into the holders chest), exploded them no problem.

The other thing, and this is very often under discussed, are the holders. If you are using humans to hold (which I suspect you do unless it's like 6 boards and too thick to properly hold by hand) the holder doing it properly is absolutely critical. Locking wrists, elbow in the hip, with some breaks having an assistant physically locking their wrists with their hands. They're the unsung heroes and can absolutely be responsible for a break going poorly just as often as the person doing the breaking. True hero or zero type thing. But your BBs/Instructors should be watching this.

Speaking of, here is my toe. I was holding for a master testing for his 7th. He did a flying sidekick over 5 people (he's in his late 40s so pretty drat impressive, even for someone less than half his age), he absolutely rocked the boards but also rocked my big toe on landing :lol: Pretty sure I'll be losing that nail soon.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 19, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I think I went over our breakers a while back, but maybe not. We use those "Ultimate Martial Arts Boards." They look like this:

There are multiple colors of them that are supposed to correspond with your age, so the harder the board, the longer the pegs and thus the harder they are to break. We use these holders called "Gorilla Board Holders" which I really want to get for practice, but man those things are 'SPENSIVE. They're cool though because you can either hold them or alternately use a ratchet strap and wrap it around a heavy bag for kick breaks.

https://umab.com/gorilla-board-holder/

My son is 8, so he's doing yellow right now. He's a pretty little dude and doesn't have much strength and also has a bad habit of pulling his strikes at the last second. I try to get him into the mindset of punching through and all that, but, you know, 8 and all. We do break for testing, but this is just another part of the tournament. TBH this is *huge* thing, like 1-2000 people involved, so I'm not sure how it pans out in practice. When we did our regionals I think when it came to breaks, we were just competing against ourselves, so you got awarded based on number broken, but then I think the person with the most breaks in the shortest time got some other trophy or something like that.

For breaks, we do 4 in a row; A "#2 front kick" which I think you'd call a "back leg snap kick," a downward palm strike, down elbow strike, then a step side kick. These change to different techniques once you're a red or black belt (like I think the snap becomes a jump snap and the side kick becomes a spin sidekick or alternately a jump spin side kick or something).

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 18, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh gosh, yeah, I kinda remember we did briefly talk about that. Re-breakables. They're horrible. Especially for the hand techniques.

I am familiar with them but we rarely use them. Pretty much only for repeated basic practicing, and even then not often for the hand but I certainly have done them.... Generally the black or green ones. I'm not familiar with white but it looks pretty weak so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Is that actually what you use in a tournament for breaks? You actually hit them in a different place than you do wood and can chew your hand or ankle up. Not a fan. However, the mechanical holders should make this easier.

For those boards, you want to try and hit the center which is NOT what you typically want to do with lumber. For that, depending on the technique, going closer to the edge is a typically what you want to go for as you kind of "rip" the wood.

You still want to go absolutely follow through on them though. Maybe try and get him to change his stance so he's closer to it, so for the palm strike he steps into it, same thing with the elbow. Shouldn't be difficult with a snap kick or side kick as long as he can kick properly.

You probably know this, so forgive me if it's basic, but for the snap kick it needs to be the ball of the foot. Kick with the toes, no beuno (and will hurt). The heel, or worse the arch, you're going to sluff it.

Side kicks, while they can be powerful, take a bit more technique to dial in. I will sometimes still screw them up but the main trick is that heel needs to drive in first. Pull the toes back. If not and you lead with the ball of the foot, you lose a lot ton of power and turn it into a strong push... which probably won't break.. a real boards at least. His instructor should be watching for that. BUT, If he has trouble with that, you might be able to cheat the technique a bit by hanging the ball of his foot over the edge of the board so that forces his heel to connect first. Also, the whole thing doesn't have to be fast. In fact, the strongest side and back kicks are almost always from someone taking their time on the first half of the technique.

Standing in a ready/sparring stance, turn your hips square so you're facing forward. That will make you feel like you want to bring the heel of the back foot off the ground, and from there you proceed with the kick which will end up making his front foot point backwards as you lift the leg and rotate as you do the strike. Ideally incorporate a bit of a slide in as you kick out too... so it's that follow through again.

e: I just sent you an email as well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 19, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hahha, yeah, a lot of people don't like the re-breakables. They're all I've ever broken, so I'm ok with them, but that's good to know about the contact point for the actual boards.

I'll update once competition is over and let you folks know how it went.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The coaches at my gym have a Slack to coordinate substitutes, announce paycheck schedules, etc.
This is an anonymized report I submitted, which we're supposed to do whenever there's this kind of issue:

quote:

incident with a student -- [name of XXX]?
looks like he was maxing out a 1 day pass, so not sure how much of a problem we have
this guy was being a bully in a level 1 class, just going hard and aggressive in a limited rules sparring drill.
I asked for punches only, nothing to the head, and he was punching really fast and feinting a lot to the head. I corrected him right away, and he still went pretty rough, including against ZZZ [a perfectly nice kid who wrestled in college].
I mixed in with all the students including him, and when i dipped on head movement, he tagged me with a two punch combination with the head. i asked XXX to lighten it up and to use control. you could tell he had some ego and was looking to score on the coach. it would have been harder to keep my cool if there were head shots or kicks involved.
in an extrension drill, where people were allowed to clinch and throw, ZZZ went for an underhook, and XXX did this no-control hyperextension to ZZZ's elbow to try to break the clinch.
I went over there and said his primary concern should be keeping things in control and safe. he gave me some excuse about thinking he had clearance to resist takedown attempts, and i countered, not if you're going to hurt someone with a technique that you can't make safe. To his credit, he eased up after that, but his attitude needs some serious adjustment if he comes back. definitely someone to keep a close eye on.

Still pretty steamed about having to take time away from instructing the other students to handle this. They don't deserve the distraction.
On another note, my punches-only performance is just dogshit. Having a kickboxing mindset and real-time having to edit your planned combos and deleting the kicks is both slow and leads to awkward timing and ineffective shot placement.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
It's crummy that you had to deal with that and take away from actual teaching time, but the silver lining is that you got to demonstrate to all of your existing students that you take their safety seriously and they should too. Personally, seeing how my coaches have handled these sorts of difficult situations when they do arise is the sort of thing that engenders trust and loyalty in a way that few other things will.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Quick Tournament update: got to the convention center at 730, checked in, stretched, warmed up, introduced myself to everyone in my ring and the adjacent ring, everyone was super cool and nice except one kid who was the one younger guy out of our old guy grouping. Round one of sparring, I draw this kid, he tosses a couple of HARD shots that I block but then gets in and loving BLASTS me with a full bore kidney punch. I hit the mat, can’t breathe. Take a minute and recoup. Kid loses a point and gets a warning and then proceeds to throw a full on side kick that I block. Gets another warning so at this point I’m loving pissed, throw all technique out and just potato the kid with straight punches and win the round and knock him out of the bracket. My side is seizing up, can’t life my right arm all the way so drop my next match pretty easily. I took a minute and hit the bathroom to see how it looked and by the time I get there I’m hurt so bad I can’t even get my pants off or even bend over so I ended up sitting out every other event. loving rad. 2/10 would not recommend.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

The coaches at my gym have a Slack to coordinate substitutes, announce paycheck schedules, etc.
This is an anonymized report I submitted, which we're supposed to do whenever there's this kind of issue:

Still pretty steamed about having to take time away from instructing the other students to handle this. They don't deserve the distraction.
On another note, my punches-only performance is just dogshit. Having a kickboxing mindset and real-time having to edit your planned combos and deleting the kicks is both slow and leads to awkward timing and ineffective shot placement.

They aren't pleasant, but I still look at them (afterwards at least), as character builders. You handled the situation without getting your ego involved and you showed your students that you handled it. So, yeah, they might not have gotten instructed in X, but they got a lesson in maturity instead.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

It's unfortunate but I think you handled it well and it's good that the instructors are all made aware to keep an eye out for it. We've had to kick people out of the club from ignoring contact rules and not taking training instruction. It doesn't happen often (I can think of 2x in 5 years) but it's better than someone trying to show they're tough and/or not follow instructors and injure/scare away students that are just trying to learn. Especially as a color belt. BB, if you both are consenting during open sparing, go nuts. But if you're trying to be taught a specific technique and you're not following it and risking injuries, definitely not cool and will be spoken to. Glad your club takes that seriously.

EdsTeioh posted:

Quick Tournament update: got to the convention center at 730, checked in, stretched, warmed up, introduced myself to everyone in my ring and the adjacent ring, everyone was super cool and nice except one kid who was the one younger guy out of our old guy grouping. Round one of sparring, I draw this kid, he tosses a couple of HARD shots that I block but then gets in and loving BLASTS me with a full bore kidney punch. I hit the mat, can’t breathe. Take a minute and recoup. Kid loses a point and gets a warning and then proceeds to throw a full on side kick that I block. Gets another warning so at this point I’m loving pissed, throw all technique out and just potato the kid with straight punches and win the round and knock him out of the bracket. My side is seizing up, can’t life my right arm all the way so drop my next match pretty easily. I took a minute and hit the bathroom to see how it looked and by the time I get there I’m hurt so bad I can’t even get my pants off or even bend over so I ended up sitting out every other event. loving rad. 2/10 would not recommend.
That sucks man. I've only run into that as an adult a couple times but I see it often with the tough "kids." Hope it doesn't take you out. Do a good warm up, you might surprise yourself. Glad you took him out of the bracket. Was it point or continuous? gently caress that guy.

Good friend of mine is going for her 1 Dan in a couple months and she had to run that fit test I described earlier. I decided to join her and run it as well, even though I absolutely didn't have to but I was curious to see how my time increased since last time. People looked at me like I was a lunatic to voluntarily do it lol.

It was definitely exhausting. Those burpees were looking pretty sketchy by the 5th time through, but I managed to do it. Good news I still had a big improvement from the very first time I did it late last year (about 40 sec), but I was still about 15-20 sec slower on average than the last time I did it. I'm actually OK with that, considering I'm training half as much as I was then plus I'm drinking again... sometimes way more than I should. I was totally on the wagon for 6 months prior to my real test that counted last time.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 23, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

That sucks man. I've only run into that as an adult a couple times but I see it often with the tough "kids." Hope it doesn't take you out. Do a good warm up, you might surprise yourself. Glad you took him out of the bracket. Was it point or continuous? gently caress that guy.

Ooof dude I am loving HURT. This gave me a back spasm that I didn't really want to admit to my wife, so I ended up hobbling around a space museum the next day and she figured out how much pain I was in. I got home last night and have the day off work today; trying to get an appt at my doc right now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Ooof dude I am loving HURT. This gave me a back spasm that I didn't really want to admit to my wife, so I ended up hobbling around a space museum the next day and she figured out how much pain I was in.

I was on the beach with wife and toddler and decided to try to entertain him by showing a cartwheel. I've never really practiced it and always half-assed it in grappling classes when that was a warm up drill. The sand was doing an ok job of padding out rough landings. Some lady saw my attempts and came over to give some tips, like pointing your feet straight.
I tried that and reinjured my knee that was still recovering/affected by a PCL strain or tear. It was a pretty bad shooting pain, but I definitely didn't want to admit it to my wife, who said I should be stretching way more just to do the cartwheels. My kid just ended up with a bunch of sand in his hair for his imitation efforts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I wanted to laugh at your story, but that would be rude. If it makes you feel better, that's exactly what would happen to me too (just hurting myself).

EdsTeioh posted:

Ooof dude I am loving HURT. This gave me a back spasm that I didn't really want to admit to my wife, so I ended up hobbling around a space museum the next day and she figured out how much pain I was in. I got home last night and have the day off work today; trying to get an appt at my doc right now.
So did you bow out of the rest of the competition? It sucks that people like that are the exact reason why some turn away from competition or even sparring in general.

Doing a bit better now?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

slidebite posted:

So did you bow out of the rest of the competition? It sucks that people like that are the exact reason why some turn away from competition or even sparring in general.

Doing a bit better now?

I did end up bowing out of everything else. Good thing too as my back was basically completely thrown out and I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if I'd done a full board breaking set, bag sparring comp, AND more points sparring. I'm actually feeling WORSE now than I was day of. Hopped up on muscle relaxers and ibuprofin now and that 5 hour drive home didn't help either. My head instructor got wind of the whole thing and talked to the organizers and got my entry fee refunded, which was a really nice move on his part that I didn't expect at all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, in a somewhat drastic career move, I'm moving to Ft McMurray, in Northern Alberta.
Nearest kendo club is 4.5 hours away and while I'll try to go once a month or so, I'm still keen on continuing martials arts of some sort.
I am (as you may have noticed) heavily biased towards more traditional MA's, but in a town like Ft Mc, there's limited choices.
A couple of MMA clubs , a judo club and a karate club.
While I'll visit both the judo and karate club, I'm leaning towards karate, as I think it'll be more 'relevant' to kendo.

It's Shotokan Karate, which doesn't really have sparring, as far as I can tell, and frankly, at this stage, I don't mind too much. I'm more interested in their body movements.

I did also look for tai-chi/kung-fu, but no luck so far. Might be easier once I get there.

Depending on work schedule, I may also look into starting my own kendo club. I am qualified (5th dan), but I also know that I'll be way too busy during the summer months, so it would depend on getting a caretaker for those months.

Anyone here has experience with starting clubs in small towns?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, in a somewhat drastic career move, I'm moving to Ft McMurray, in Northern Alberta.
Nearest kendo club is 4.5 hours away and while I'll try to go once a month or so, I'm still keen on continuing martials arts of some sort.
I am (as you may have noticed) heavily biased towards more traditional MA's, but in a town like Ft Mc, there's limited choices.
A couple of MMA clubs , a judo club and a karate club.
While I'll visit both the judo and karate club, I'm leaning towards karate, as I think it'll be more 'relevant' to kendo.

It's Shotokan Karate, which doesn't really have sparring, as far as I can tell, and frankly, at this stage, I don't mind too much. I'm more interested in their body movements.

I did also look for tai-chi/kung-fu, but no luck so far. Might be easier once I get there.

Depending on work schedule, I may also look into starting my own kendo club. I am qualified (5th dan), but I also know that I'll be way too busy during the summer months, so it would depend on getting a caretaker for those months.

Anyone here has experience with starting clubs in small towns?

Fort Mac is big enough (60k+) that it doesn't have the small-town "everyone is hungry for a new thing" and "word gets around fast" that you'd get in a 5k pop small Canadian town, nor will you be able to benefit from the "Oh sure you can use the hall for free just check with Wendy and she'll get Gord to cut you a key" thing. Really, Fort Mac will as a market will be more like a scaled down version of a city market rather than a scaled up version of a small town one.

The two main things you'll need to deal with are finding an affordable space and getting the word out that someone is doing a thing. I suggest that you crash on the couch of one of the other groups. E.g. the if the karate club has a dedicated space of their own they might be ok with you teaching kendo there twice per week for some kind of fee split.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My condolences on Ft. Mac. Come for the high wages, stay for the meth. I have been there a few times and other than some limited facilities, it was OK. Some of the line ups in retail establishments were horrific though because of worker shortages.. not sure what it's like now.

I don't have any experience with my own school obviously, but I do know a couple people that did run theirs in mid-sized towns.The biggest universal problem they had was the time commitment between the students, their primary livelihoods, personal time outside the club and their own training. It was a tough balance.

As was mentioned if you could find a club willing to rent you some space for a while might be good idea. I know one of our sister dojangs in Kelowna had a Krav-Maga instructor part time that did 1-2 classes a week out of our space and seemed to work well and you might be able to piggyback with insurance too.. but I'd personally probably be looking at a new art unless starting your own school was something you really wanted to do.

Good luck - when's the move?

EdsTeioh posted:

I did end up bowing out of everything else. Good thing too as my back was basically completely thrown out and I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if I'd done a full board breaking set, bag sparring comp, AND more points sparring. I'm actually feeling WORSE now than I was day of. Hopped up on muscle relaxers and ibuprofin now and that 5 hour drive home didn't help either. My head instructor got wind of the whole thing and talked to the organizers and got my entry fee refunded, which was a really nice move on his part that I didn't expect at all.
That sucks, but sounds like a good move. How did jr do? Did those vids help him with his technique at all?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

He didn't do very well, and I swear I'm not being a sportsdad, but some of the judging SUCKED. He can be a little timid in sparring and tends to either back up and get a ring out or else rush in, hit a kick that gets blocked and then for some reason IMMEDIATLY back out and take a hit. There were kids literally screaming at refs for 4-5 minutes. For the judged parts, man, there were kids in his ring for forms that forgot entire sections, did things backwards, got lost and paused for like 30 seconds then struggled to finish up and those kids would end up winning the round, sometimes with unanimous decisions. In bag sparring, we're taught very specific ways that points have to be scored, such as not repeating combos, following up punches with kicks, not hitting the same target twice in a row, not hitting the same kick more than once. Breaking any of these just causes the subsequent points to not be counted, so if you hit 3 punches in a row, you'd get 1 point. My son looked like Jackie Chan floating around the bag and hitting some beautiful combos and flows. Meanwhile, everyone that he was paired against and the ones that subesquently won medals literally stood planted and hit round kick/5x punch combos in the same spot and judges were counting points for it. Honestly kind of a poo poo show and I wasn't really happy with the whole experience outside of seeing some folks I hadn't seen in a while and meeting new people (and getting to see rockets at the space center). We had a blast at our regional tournament last year, so we're probably going to stick to those and pass on the travelling in the future.

In other news, my wife made me go to the doctor yesterday and I got immediately referred for an xray; most likely have a broken rib from this poo poo.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Goondolances, rib injuries suck

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah, nothing like a good 'old cracked rib or two to remind you that you're still alive.

That tournament sounds like it was a hot mess. Wish it went better for both of you.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, I mean, it is what it is and honestly despite all of that, we had a really great weekend and surprisingly, my son was really excited to get back to class today. I'd also be excited if I was going back, but I guess it's boardgames for me for a bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't stop training when I had a cracked rib

Don't be me, I'm stupid

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I hurt ribs on both sides and have been out for 2 weeks and counting.

I tore a floating rib years ago and it flares up from time to time now. Trying to train through just delays and makes it worse. Sucks but now I just stop right when I feel it :\

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It only hurt when I

1: Got out of bed
2: Laughed
3: Breathed

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Sneezing and coughing are THE WORST. Anyway according to my xrays, it's not broken, so most likely a bone bruise or something along those lines. Still gonna take it easy for a bit.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m glad my father isn’t around to see this bullshit. Steven Seagal continues to be a bonehead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m glad my father isn’t around to see this bullshit. Steven Seagal continues to be a bonehead.

Yeah he has been a stooge for Putin for about a decade now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Had a great block of classes, only marred by getting my face mashed super hard in a grappling drill where I ran my head into the student's stiff arm on a takedown attempt.
My chin is definitely not what it used to be. This was a solid shot no doubt, but I don't think I'd still be feeling it a few hours later some years ago. Or at least, I wouldn't have been keenly paying attention to effects.

My 2nd class was 2 people, which I think is an ideal setup for 2 roughly matched beginners. A private class for one person is best if they're pretty fit and can get a lot of drill reps in the time.
With 2 students, you can observe mechanics from the side, which is a bit easier in some cases for spotting issues. And when you mix in, the student sitting out can observe, too.
I find the progression with 2 students to be like, 3-4x as fast as a class with say, 8 or 10 people. Each extra minute of coaching time builds on top of the prior minutes, so you're able to keep honing in on where the student really needs work and offer them more reminders/corrections.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Spicy night last night. Warm up from hell immediately followed by about 40 minutes of hard sparring. Took some friendly fire and a swift kick in the nuts from the end of a hook kick, several smokes to the head, and my toenail finally said "I'm outta here" lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ewwwwwwww

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Honestly I always feel great once a nail like that is finally off, though getting there can be nasty.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know, I didn't even feel it leave. The only reason I noticed it I thought I was standing on a rock or something during sparring lol
No blood or anything.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

First Karate class. I had asked just to watch, but the teacher asked me to just jump in, since I was dressed (more or less) appropriately.
I could not make sense of the grades. (Not that it's important).
This was first class back after the summer break and had a handful of other beginners, so it was super basic.
It was interesting 'enough'. Would I do this if I were back in Vancouver, no, but it's something to do and it beats going to the gym and some of the body movement will be transferable.

The teacher also asked why I didn't just start my own club and I may still look into it during winter, but currently my work day varies from sunrise to sunset on a fairly unpredictable schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So what did they have you do? Stances? Maybe some basic strikes? Did you actually join?

I think starting up a school is one of those things that sounds cool, and indeed might be, but would have a whole lot impacts on your life. Piggybacking with another club would probably make a ton of sense if do-able as I can see the humdrum physical stuff and related (like insurance) be a real pita.

How do you like Ft. Mac? I moved from Burnaby to Alberta several years ago (GP) and I can only imagine it is a fairly similar change.