Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Torquemada posted:

Looking for a game that supports three players and supports some kind of group strategy or tactics. Simple shooters are out, we tried Strange Brigade but it was a bit too mindless. Valheim we played until the Mountain biome but it became impossible to endure the punishing price of failure. Currently on V Rising, but one of us hates the farming aspect. Any suggestions?

For the King is a wonderful mess of a co-op digital boardgame that supports 3 players. There's a learning curve, but it's more about what the players should be doing and why, rather than how. Fight battles! Roll dice! Loot dungeons! Upgrade pipes!

It's 70% off on Steam atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

Looking for a game that supports three players and supports some kind of group strategy or tactics. Simple shooters are out, we tried Strange Brigade but it was a bit too mindless. Valheim we played until the Mountain biome but it became impossible to endure the punishing price of failure. Currently on V Rising, but one of us hates the farming aspect. Any suggestions?

Elden Ring with the seamless co-op mod has worked well for my group.

Other suggestions (not sure what makes a shooter simple in your eyes):
- unrailed
- destiny 2
- Divinity 2: Original Sin
- Gunfire Reborn

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Overcooked and the games stemming from its model like Out of Space and Unrailed use strategy, but it's not about combat so it might not feel right for you. Maybe Magicka? But that may be a bit more geared to be wacky. I guess Monaco was popular back in the day.

There's also Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and We Need To Go Deeper which are both based around the model of a few people running a ship together and dealing with threats.

If you wanted to get into shooters, there's a lot more challenging co-op games like Left 4 Dead, Rainbow 6: Siege, Payday 2, and Deep Rock Galactic. You could also try getting into competitive games like For Honor or Awesomenauts.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
For The King, We Need To Go Deeper and Deep Rock Galactic seem like possibles, thank you all. Unrailed seems a bit stressy for one of us.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Torquemada posted:

Looking for a game that supports three players and supports some kind of group strategy or tactics. Simple shooters are out

Full Metal Furies maybe?

Requires some teamwork with enemies getting character specific shields, and there are some cool puzzles

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Full Metal Furies has puzzles that are not designed to be solved by any small group of people. You will have to resort to a guide at some point unless you're obsessive and willing to devote a lot of time to solving some incredibly obtuse puzzles.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

True, but the game feels complete even if you don't solve those ones. The content hidden behind the one or two puzzles that aren't solvable without a community effort or peeking at a guide feel like over the top bonus levels

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Me and a buddy is looking for a multiplayer FPS. We have played pretty much every battlefield game since 2, but when battlefield 2042 turned out to be a super dud we kinda got lost at to what to play together. We got chivalry 2 wich is fun, but it does not have the staying power of a proper team focused FPS.
It does have to be a battlefield-like, or a moden shooter. We played games like Dirty bomb and Paladins and found it good fun. We're keeping an eye on ww3 but that game was real wonky last time i tried it several years ago.

Any ideas?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Rainbow Six: Siege was good when I last played it years ago (lost interest due to a lack of time). It's 5 v 5 rounds and it has operators that somewhat act like the "heroes" in overwatch, paladins, etc. except all of them are also just "guy with a gun" so almost every problem can be fixed by just being good at shooting and positioning (which made it a lot more enjoyable to me compared to MOBA's, Paladins, Overwatch etc. where you can get majorly screwed if your team doesn't pull their weight)

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

GyverMac posted:

Me and a buddy is looking for a multiplayer FPS. We have played pretty much every battlefield game since 2, but when battlefield 2042 turned out to be a super dud we kinda got lost at to what to play together. We got chivalry 2 wich is fun, but it does not have the staying power of a proper team focused FPS.
It does have to be a battlefield-like, or a moden shooter. We played games like Dirty bomb and Paladins and found it good fun. We're keeping an eye on ww3 but that game was real wonky last time i tried it several years ago.

Any ideas?

The good big team FPSs are mostly more on the simulation side imo. Stuff like Squad, Rising Storm 2, Hell Let Loose, etc. Still keep the structure of battlefield games.

You could also try Sector's Edge for an indie FPS with a fun building gimmick.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Torquemada posted:

For The King, We Need To Go Deeper and Deep Rock Galactic seem like possibles, thank you all. Unrailed seems a bit stressy for one of us.

Strongly recommend Deep Rock if you're worried about things getting stressy, since you can set the difficulty of your missions.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Another vote for Certified Greatest Co-Op Game Of All Time, Deep Rock Galactic.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

GreatGreen posted:

Another vote for Certified Greatest Co-Op Game Of All Time, Deep Rock Galactic.

Was I playing Deep Rock Galactic wrong? I see it recommended a lot but it didn't seem like it was for me. I played with a few of my buddies and once we did a few missions it didn't seem like the core loop of the game was going to change much or become more interesting. All the character progression also seemed like minor upgrades and not stuff that will significantly change the way the game is played (but obviously we didn't play far enough to find out).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the unlocks having relatively minimal effects is a good thing and the game would be better if it did away with them entirely. it's basically just a L4D clone with a really cool unique gimmick in the digging mechanics and, if anything, all the grindy / microtransaction stuff has only made the game worse than it was in open beta

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's more fun if you buy into the silly dwarves stuff and treat it as a "friends being dumb" simulator. That said, if the base mechanics don't click for you, then I don't think you're missing any secret sauce that will suddenly make it a game you like.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Bognar posted:

Was I playing Deep Rock Galactic wrong? I see it recommended a lot but it didn't seem like it was for me. I played with a few of my buddies and once we did a few missions it didn't seem like the core loop of the game was going to change much or become more interesting. All the character progression also seemed like minor upgrades and not stuff that will significantly change the way the game is played (but obviously we didn't play far enough to find out).

It really just clicked with my buddies and me when we played it. I've put 100+ hours into it so far. I dunno, I love the sense of exploration, the dumb fun goofiness of the dwarves, the incredibly technically impressive cave procgen algorithm, the feel of the guns and mowing down hordes of bugs, the mechanics of mining ore, and just the overall ambience of the world, etc. It's just a really fun time every time I hop on.

The one other thing I might recommend you try is to give all the different classes a spin and see if any one really clicks for you. That's what did the trick for me. I thought the game was just "decent to good" until I tried the Scout class after a few hours of messing with other classes, and with the Scout's grappling hook and hyper mobility, the entire experience of the game totally transformed for me. Then I unlocked the Scout's sniper rifle main weapon and dual-wield SMG's secondary weapon and that's been my jam ever since. All the classes are good in one way or another though.

I'll also add that the game is even fun to play solo once you get your robot bro Bosco upgraded with your most preferred skills for him. That little drone can really pull his weight and go to work. And without real life friends goofing around in the level, the game becomes a much more serene, almost tranquil experience in a zen kind of way.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 1, 2022

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bognar posted:

For me there are a bunch of things that keep the game fresh:

-The proc-gen levels, which means you always have to be thinking about traversal and can't just sleep walk through a level you've seen a million times. I think the devs have said that by far the most lethal enemy in the game based on damage done is gravity, and that tracks with my experience.
-The variety in mission objectives, combined with various modifiers and special events, as well as the variety in enemy design. There's more of these at higher difficulties, and the game can get pretty hectic in interesting ways.
-The classes all play differently, and each has enough weapon variety to mix it up even more. Combine that with overclocks and you can keep messing with things or find a setup that really clicks for you.

That being said, I value it as something I can just jump in and play for an hour with pubbies here or there, or maybe a few hours with friends. If you're looking for a game that you can play for MMO-level of time then it might get a bit stale.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Waterworld and Dayz. anything?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Waterworld and Dayz. anything?

Raft, maybe? I haven't played Day Z or Raft so I can't exactly make an informed comparison but it's a survival game about building a free-floating base at sea, at least.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any good action sandbox multiplayer games that still let people do PvE content? I thought Just Cause 2 with the multiplayer mod would be great, but apparently the mod gets rid of all the AI/NPC's? And while GTA Online exists, it's a live service game with all that entails -- I would basically want something like GTA5 multiplayer without the live service part.

There are some silly games that kind of fit this bill: Goat Simulator, The Amazing Frog?, Wobbly Life. But I think something with more serious/quality action mechanics would be more fun.

I'm also thinking of maybe Skyrim Together (the new version) as a fallback if I can't find anything more action-y.

Bognar posted:

It's kind of simple in some ways, and the mechanics don't feel super deep or skillful (I love being a Scout with the grappling hook, but as far as grappling hooks go it's a super basic one). That said, as other goons have noted, there's a lot of variety in missions and settings and equipment and whatnot.

You may want to at least go far enough to see some mission types that are very different from "just find ore and mine it, rinse and repeat", like On-Site Refining or Elimination, especially on higher cave complexity (and turn up the hazard level if you're finding the game to be too easy).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 4, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torquemada posted:

Define a simple shooter? Aliens: Fireteam Elite has six classes, a very solid 12 scenario campaign worth at least a few full playthroughs, and is specifically for three players. The game's biggest weaknesses are the bots and matchmaking system so if you're three friends in a discord chat it's ideal.

Distrust is a specifically three player game you've probably never heard of that it's very much puzzles and stuff.

Across the Obelisk is multiplayer slay the Spire crossed with darkest dungeon. Early access.

People have mentioned deep rock galactic. It's good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

Are there any good action sandbox multiplayer games that still let people do PvE content? I thought Just Cause 2 with the multiplayer mod would be great, but apparently the mod gets rid of all the AI/NPC's? And while GTA Online exists, it's a live service game with all that entails -- I would basically want something like GTA5 multiplayer without the live service part.

There are some silly games that kind of fit this bill: Goat Simulator, The Amazing Frog?, Wobbly Life. But I think something with more serious/quality action mechanics would be more fun.

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Saint's Row 3 and 4 are co-op silly fun times.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Breath of the Wild is pretty fun multiplayer

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cicero posted:

I'm also thinking of maybe Skyrim Together (the new version) as a fallback if I can't find anything more action-y.

Elden Ring has an incredible full co-op mod.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Going to agree with this one.

At first glance, Wildlands seems to play itself pretty straight but it’s free form enough that you can do some incredibly dumb fun stuff. The other week I introduced the game to a buddy and one of the first things we did was attack an enemy base head on in matching gatling gun equipped helicopters (if one player is sufficiently advanced, you can summon as many as you want for free with like a 30 second cooldown between each). After that, we tried to see how close to a head on mid-air collision we could get without slamming into each other (we slammed into each other) then we moved to helicopter chicken for a while, then we ended with dirtbike racing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 4, 2022

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

SkeletonHero posted:

Elden Ring has an incredible full co-op mod.

Been playing this with a friend and it's so much fun. I can't recommend this enough.

As far as Deep Rock Galactic goes the gameplay lost its luster after a while. It's good but I get bored after a mission these days.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
My partner and I have found some great games that are fun to play together. We went through God of War (2018) and really liked it, then moved on to Disco Elysium, and just completed Stray. Kind of a mix of stuff. We like the story aspects of each of those 3, the calm vibes of Stray, and the mystery and world of DE. Not sure what to play next, but was hoping someone could give us some advice.

(I tried to get her into Planescape Torment but she refuses because of the graphics. Sever?)

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My wife and I liked playing through Detroit: Become Human together. It's got a bit of the mystery/decision-making of Disco Elysium with some action sequences in it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Norco and Citizen Sleeper are two recent games that have been compared to Disco Elysium in terms of pace and tone (although if you're expecting the same level of writing you might be disappointed). They're both on gamepass if that helps

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caufman posted:

My wife and I liked playing through Detroit: Become Human together. It's got a bit of the mystery/decision-making of Disco Elysium with some action sequences in it.

I'm cringing so hard at the fact that Detroit and Disco Elysium are being compared in any way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

My partner and I have found some great games that are fun to play together. We went through God of War (2018) and really liked it, then moved on to Disco Elysium, and just completed Stray. Kind of a mix of stuff. We like the story aspects of each of those 3, the calm vibes of Stray, and the mystery and world of DE. Not sure what to play next, but was hoping someone could give us some advice.

(I tried to get her into Planescape Torment but she refuses because of the graphics. Sever?)

Outer Wilds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Outer Wilds

yeah there isn't a better possible answer to that prompt than this

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
ty friends

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

The Wolf Among us?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

The Wolf Among us?

This, and almost anything from Telltale tbh

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This, and almost anything from Telltale tbh

If you like Telltale games, Tales from the Borderlands defies expectations and is possibly their best work. Don’t sleep on it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Magitek posted:

If you like Telltale games, Tales from the Borderlands defies expectations and is possibly their best work. Don’t sleep on it.

It's absolutely bonkers that the best thing in the Borderlands universe is basically a choose-your-own-adventure visual novel.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if i wanted to play megaman legends should i be going for the playstation version, n64 version, or psp version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

if i wanted to play megaman legends should i be going for the playstation version, n64 version, or psp version?

Not the N64 version. Either of the other two is fine.