Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Im concerned that I can see blue-grey veining throughout. From what I've read elsewhere this means there are spores throughout and can be a health risk if I eat bread made from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
If it's fuzzy that's not good. If the grey stuff is liquid or slimy or close to the texture of the starter, you're fine to choose a bit (even just a teaspoon) of the normal-colored starter and begin again.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

effika posted:

If it's fuzzy that's not good. If the grey stuff is liquid or slimy or close to the texture of the starter, you're fine to choose a bit (even just a teaspoon) of the normal-colored starter and begin again.

Fuzzy layer on top, slimy grey swirled in underneath. I think I've got to start over.

I've already ordered some dried starter rebuild

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am noticing that most of the weight-based bread recipes I make wind up way too dry, and I have to add extra water.
Somebody else brought up flour variability, but it could just be old recipes that come from when high hydration wasn't so hip. Another factor would be if you rest the dough differently; longer resting means whatever is there is better incorporated and will handle like its more dry. I haven't really considered how that changes with actual baking though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therattle posted:

I think it’s more likely variability in flours. Some flours are thirstier than others.

ohhh. I just realized that the recipes I've had most trouble with recently are both British; two from a friend, one from Foodbod.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are they calling for "strong white flour?" I thought that was comparable to US bread flour.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes, but "equivalent to" is not the same as "identical to". In particular, there's a good chance the wheat wasn't grown in the US, which KA bread flour is, and isn't the same variety as grown in the US.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

ohhh. I just realized that the recipes I've had most trouble with recently are both British; two from a friend, one from Foodbod.

Yep, and even leaving aside geographical differences I find that different brands have different qualities. Marriage’s strong white doesn’t behave exactly the same as, say, Shipton Mill.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Recipes are bullshit, just add stuff until it looks about right.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Recipes are bullshit, just add stuff until it looks about right.

Oh, I have been. But then I'm chasing the "whoops, needs more water, whoops, needs more flour" merry-go-round. And I have an ineradicable fear of being Wrong.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

I took my starter out of the fridge after 2 weeks without feeding and it looks like it got a mold infection. I assume this is unsalvegeable and unsafe to use?

There goes 3 years down the drain.

So I decided to toss my starter completely, but thankfully was able to find a neighbour on Nextdoor who was willing to give me a portion of there’s. I’ve been feeding it for a few days to convert it into a rye based starter like I had before and did my first bake.

Not too bad! Still not quite at the strength of my mature starter from before but hopefully in a couple weeks I can be getting ears like I used to.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Baguettes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those look like good baguettes.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mauser posted:

Baguettes

Wow.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

French in-laws give their seal of approval.

I took a couple practice swings before they arrived and adapted the recipe here: https://tasteofartisan.com/french-baguette-recipe/

500g all purpose, 3g yeast, 75% water, 10g salt all mixed up roughly, let sit covered for about 30 mins, give it a few folds in the container and then cover and in the fridge overnight for 14 hours.

Remove, divide in half, flatten each loaf a little, stretch around and pinch together one side then the other, roll out to desired length. Put on the couche upside-down cover in flour and let proof for ~35 mins.

In the oven on the pizza stone at 500° F with a cast iron on bottom with boiling water added with the loaves. 15 minutes, remove water, 15 minutes more (keep temp gauge the same since adding the loaves and water usually lowered the temp dramatically) and voilà.

I have a 20" x 14" pizza stone that was able to do 3 baguettes at a time

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mauser posted:

French in-laws give their seal of approval.

I took a couple practice swings before they arrived and adapted the recipe here: https://tasteofartisan.com/french-baguette-recipe/

500g all purpose, 3g yeast, 75% water, 10g salt all mixed up roughly, let sit covered for about 30 mins, give it a few folds in the container and then cover and in the fridge overnight for 14 hours.

Remove, divide in half, flatten each loaf a little, stretch around and pinch together one side then the other, roll out to desired length. Put on the couche upside-down cover in flour and let proof for ~35 mins.

In the oven on the pizza stone at 500° F with a cast iron on bottom with boiling water added with the loaves. 15 minutes, remove water, 15 minutes more (keep temp gauge the same since adding the loaves and water usually lowered the temp dramatically) and voilà.

I have a 20" x 14" pizza stone that was able to do 3 baguettes at a time

Good recipe except you seem to missing the part at the end where you consume them with a great deal of butter.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

We did that for breakfast one day, but yesterday we had some with foie gras. Both were excellent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(cries) I miss my bannetons so drat much. (Moved to new house a year ago, still haven't finished unpacking boxes.)

Do any of y'all have tips on getting dough off your hands when you've finished handling a highly hydrated dough? I wind up scraping hands, washing hands, then having to clean all the little flour boogers out of the sink.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'll wear disposable gloves sometimes, with a little water or oil on them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kardemummabullar! Still working on getting the shaping just right, and definitely want the filling butter to be cooler before I spread it, but yummy.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Kardemummabullar! Still working on getting the shaping just right, and definitely want the filling butter to be cooler before I spread it, but yummy.

Tell me where you live so I can come and rob you.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried to knead with a Kitchenaid mixer yesterday. Nice sponge cake that made. It's my mom's old one that is a Hobart from back whenever. Nonetheless, at speed 2, it just didn't do anything with a high hydration dough. I guess if I had to use it again that I'd have to do some autolysis and more rests, or I just wait until I can use my 20 quart monster again.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Has anybody used King Arthur Flour's "West Coast Artisan" flour? Specs from the site.

11.7% Protein | .52% Ash | Malted, Enriched
A regional all-purpose artisan bread flour milled in California characterized by moderate protein and higher-than-average absorption. Ideal for a full selection of artisan breads, pizza, and pastries.

I've been baking from a 50-pound bag of their Special Patent and making the best breads of my life, but now I'm curious. Do people have equivalent flours they like that are in smaller quantities than 50 pounds?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ankarsrum trip report, 3-ish weeks in.

I could not live without this thing now. It kneads bread as well as I can, and I've been doing this for a looong time.

Caveats up front.
  • 750 smackaroos.
  • The egg-beater and cake-beater attachments are made of plastic, including the gears. I'll be genuinely shocked if this attachment lasts ten years.
  • Won't stretch-and-fold doughs.
  • If kneading is the best part for you, this mixer cuts you out of it.
  • No recipes apart from the ones on the website, of which there are many.
  • Recipes require that you add the liquids first; this may not actually be necessary, but I haven't bothered to check.
I'm old and disabled, and I often don't have the energy to put a loaf of bread together by hand. With the Ankarsrum, I'm now making our daily sandwich bread. If my husband says, as he did at noon today, "We're out of bread and you need to make more", within 20 minutes, most of it weighing out ingredients, dough is rising on the stove. Can't beat that. The Ankarsrum, unlike machines with dough hooks*, actually kneads dough. It does so by squeezing it between a stationary grooved pestle, a stationary bowl scraper, and a rotating bowl. It starts mixing the flour and liquids, then forms a doughnut around the pestle. The doughnut lengthens, is squeezed off the bowl with the bowl scraper, and goes back between the pestle and the bowl. As the dough matures, the doughnut stretches out, then becomes a ball, which is kneaded between the bowl and the pestle. The pestle is mounted on a rotating arm, so the dough is squeezed at varying pressures. If you watch it, you'll see that the dough is rotating in the bowl in all dimensions.

The base unit is well-engineered. It is easy to clean; the base unit has very few crevices dough can be stuck in. The dough knife and pestle are drat near rinse-and-put-in-the-rack. They don't have any crevices at all. The mixer does not walk. The bowl is solid. It comes with a lid for the bowl, so that you can finish the dough, put the solid lid on, and move the bowl to a warm place to rise. It can make 5 kilograms of dough at one time.

Would I have an Ankarsrum as an only mixer? It would be a tough call, because I genuinely am concerned about the durability of the mixer part. As it stands, I'll be keeping my Kitchenaid but using it only for cookies and heavy doughs like that. As a dedicated bread appliance, it cannot be beaten. Would I recommend it to a new baker? No, because you have to understand what a dough that is "soft but not sticky" feels like. You need to have a feel for baking bread before you can automate it.

I will keep using stretch-and-fold for Foodbod recipes. For other artisan breads, I'm going to experiment with the Ankarsrum.

* In the US, the Ankarsrum ships with a dough hook, because apparently Americans don't believe in making bread without one. ?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
For $750 I should bloody well hope it comes with a bread hook, drat.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ankarsrum trip report, 3-ish weeks in.

* In the US, the Ankarsrum ships with a dough hook, because apparently Americans don't believe in making bread without one. ?

Actually curious - what would you use for kneading if not the hook? I can't imagine trying to knead with a paddle attachment

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The hook is for larger sized batches.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

So for kneading smaller batches you use what? I wouldn't knead anything with a paddle, it would be a mess.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Nope, I've made large batches (capacity of the machine) with the original equipment and it works just fine. Nobody in Sweden even has a dough hook, and they make big batches of bread.

Ishamael posted:

Actually curious - what would you use for kneading if not the hook? I can't imagine trying to knead with a paddle attachment

Here's a top-down picture of the Ankarsrum. That thing lying on the table above it? That's the thing I've been referring to as "the pestle". You can see the scraper in the bowl at the left. The pestle mounts on that big steel arm in the center, which is normally set about an inch away from the rotating bowl. It rocks in and out toward the center as it kneads. The picture shows the dough hook in use, because again aimed at Americans. You can see that the dough hook is ripping the dough; the pestle and scraper don't do that.

e: Ignore me. The dough hook is for heavier breads.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 29, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Swedes have an attachment that's a pair of white cartoon gloves attached to metal telescopic arms that Americans never adopted from pure willfulness.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

I've never had a dough hook tear the dough, but I guess there are lots of types of dough.

I'm glad you like your pestle and scraper combination though, thanks for answering.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have one? I legitimately can't tell.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I made some of that english muffin bread for toasting a while ago, and I recall it took a long time to rise to the top of the bread pan even in a proofing box, and then once I baked it, it collapsed a bit.

I'm guessing that sounds like over-proofed, and I probably need to scale up the recipe a little bit (maybe 15%) so that it fills the pan more quickly without over-proofing? Does that sound right?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I made some of that english muffin bread for toasting a while ago, and I recall it took a long time to rise to the top of the bread pan even in a proofing box, and then once I baked it, it collapsed a bit.

I'm guessing that sounds like over-proofed, and I probably need to scale up the recipe a little bit (maybe 15%) so that it fills the pan more quickly without over-proofing? Does that sound right?
That sounds about right to me, but how big is your bread pan? I feel like this sounds like what happens when I make the default KA recipe in a 9”x5” pan instead of the 8.5”x4.5” the recipe asks for, so that could be a factor.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

fourwood posted:

That sounds about right to me, but how big is your bread pan? I feel like this sounds like what happens when I make the default KA recipe in a 9”x5” pan instead of the 8.5”x4.5” the recipe asks for, so that could be a factor.

I think that is the case. My nordicware bread pan is quite wide and flat, like 4" at the bottom but 5.5" at the top, so it has quite a slope, too. I think I have a generic nonstick loaf pan that's a little taller and narrower.

EDIT: It went ok, I scaled it up by 15%, and it rose nicely but ended up a little dense in the middle. That's not TOO bad because I slice it thin and freeze it for toasting so it doesn't hurt so much.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 6, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rescue Toaster posted:

EDIT: It went ok, I scaled it up by 15%, and it rose nicely but ended up a little dense in the middle. That's not TOO bad because I slice it thin and freeze it for toasting so it doesn't hurt so much.

How confident are you in your kneading and forming? Is the loaf otherwise cutting and holding up well? I am wondering if the air bubbles are just escaping instead of getting trapped within the dough.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cast-iron pan focaccia with grilled olives (from Turkey).
The olives don't really work with the bread, they would have been better as a tapenade.
Bread is delicious though.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Had a crazy rear end experience with some brioche I tried to make yesterday

i followed this recipe but had to make a few stupid substitutions due to me being too stupid to have the right ingredients or use the right methods. i had to use entirely AP flour because i didnt have any bread flour, i had to use three tablespoons of spreadable butter in the dough because i was short. it came together (was dense as gently caress!) really well and did well in the fridge overnight (put it in around 6:30 PM). i took it out of the fridge at 6 am, put it in two loaf pans and let it rest in a room i thought was warm enough. nothing happened after 3 hours so i put it in my oven's proof setting for an hour and it rose like crazy. put them in at 350 and initially were baking beautifully, then they just kinda stopped- the crust browned too much, but the internal temperature never rose above 167 F. i had resigned myself to the fact that they were burnt already but i wanted to keep pushing it to see how long it would actually take to get to temp so i could adjust accordingly. it literally never got higher. i eventually took it out, and obviously the crust was burnt as poo poo, but the inside was perfect and tasted totally fine. there's nothing wrong with the thermometer to my knowledge, it has been used before and after just fine.

i'm going to try the king arthur recipe next time

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

John Romero posted:

i'm going to try the king arthur recipe next time

The Bread Thread: just use the king arthur recipe next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Did the dough dry on the outside while it was set out?