Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Another good point of comparison is All In which did 45k buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Eddie has always owned

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Barry Bluejeans posted:

hot drat, they nearly doubled Supercard of Honor

I'd be curious to know how many people watched Supercard via Honor Club since they mentioned the service was still available for that show but not DBD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
FTR are a draw, baby

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wheeler Yuta defends the ROH Pure Championship

https://twitter.com/stokelyhathaway/status/1553049488079585281

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

FTR are a draw, baby

not to be funny but I genuinely wonder what match TK could put together for the next show that'll be as much of a draw as FTR/Briscoes

plenty of time to figure that out I suppose

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Barry Bluejeans posted:

not to be funny but I genuinely wonder what match TK could put together for the next show that'll be as much of a draw as FTR/Briscoes

FTR/Redragon? Future Shock?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The tease at the end of the show made me think we might get FTR vs Claudio and Yuta at All Out to set up Dax challenging for the ROH title on PPV.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Claudio vs Danielson. Don't break up BCC or anything, just have it be two guys with major ROH history wanting to find out who's better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

Claudio vs Danielson. Don't break up BCC or anything, just have it be two guys with major ROH history wanting to find out who's better.

Going into the show I was hoping they'd do an angle where Danielson got jealous of being the only person in the group without a title.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The tease at the end of the show made me think we might get FTR vs Claudio and Yuta at All Out to set up Dax challenging for the ROH title on PPV.

had he not gotten hurt dax going for the pure title in the middle of said feud would have made a lot of sense to me and probably been a kickass match

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
Did we ever get Dave's star ratings on DBD? Curious how he rated FTR/Briscoes 2 compared to the original. For my money 2 was slightly better but YMMV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ChuckBTY posted:

Did we ever get Dave's star ratings on DBD? Curious how he rated FTR/Briscoes 2 compared to the original. For my money 2 was slightly better but YMMV.

Yep!

Kennel posted:

Stars

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022,

Colt Cabana vs Anthony Henry 2.75
Daivari & Slim J vs Cheeseburger & Isom 1.75
The Embassy vs Zayne, Blake & Deppen 2.5
Willow vs Allysin Kay 1.25
Claudio Castagnoli vs Jonathan Gresham 3.25
Castle & The Boys vs The Righteous 2.75
Wheeler Yuta vs Daniel Garcia 4
Rush vs Dragon Lee 4
Mercedes Martinez vs Serena Deeb 3
Samoa Joe vs Jay Lethal 4
FTR vs The Briscoes 5

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

FTR/Redragon? Future Shock?
TimeSplitters maybe?

I'm honestly surprised AEW hasn't used Shelley yet.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I was watching the pre-show for DBD last night, before I get around to watching the actual show this weekend.

And yeah, when the Gates of Hell made their entrance? Yeesh. Very, very cultural appropriation-y, and honestly, kind of borderline racist.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

I was watching the pre-show for DBD last night, before I get around to watching the actual show this weekend.

And yeah, when the Gates of Hell made their entrance? Yeesh. Very, very cultural appropriation-y, and honestly, kind of borderline racist.

i feel like i'm missing something here

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

what

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

sticklefifer posted:

TimeSplitters maybe?

I'm honestly surprised AEW hasn't used Shelley yet.

I think his schedule is a mess because he’s a full time medical worker but yeah Shelley should have a big company full contract imo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

edogawa rando posted:

who exactly do you think is being racist

also they're the gates of agony

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

the gates of agony consist of a cameroonian and a samoan-puerto rican, and are managed by a ghanaian. i say that up front even though their entrance was basically generic big scary dudes poo poo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe that person doesn't know prince nana is his real name

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

i feel like i'm missing something here

The lyrics to the entrance theme are from the Ka Mate haka, composed by Te Rauparaha of the Ngati Toa iwi, based just north of Wellington in New Zealand. It was composed and performed as a show of gratitude to a group of women tending to the fields, who hid a wounded Te Rauparaha from his enemies that were chasing him, saving his life.

As you can probably infer, the lyrics are in Te Reo Maori, and while it's pretty much in use as the basic generic haka, it's a pretty important part of Maori culture and its not unusual for representative bodies like the Iwi Council to be very protective of what they consider to be their taonga.

I assume it's meant to be for Toa Liona, who is apparently billed from Samoa, who has a Samoan flag and a Puerto Rican flag next to it on his ring gear.

Basically, they're appropriating Maori culture and appear to be conflating it with Samoan culture. Yes, Samoa became a New Zealand colony after World War I, until 1960, but Samoans have their own language and culture, and conflating the two is kind of very problematic to put it mildly. It's lovely in the same way the WWE had the Usos do a poor rendition of the Ka Mate Haka at the top of the entrance ramp that one time.

The pronunciation wasn't great either, I might as well add.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you should tell toa liona on twitter he's doing his culture wrong

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
His Wikipedia says he’s Māori so idk but I think he should get to use his culture even if you think he shouldn’t

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Not his culture though, is it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cocaine is Abel posted:

His Wikipedia says he’s Māori so idk but I think he should get to use his culture even if you think he shouldn’t

He doesn't have a wikipedia entry yet. I think you're looking at Aaron Henare's entry, and yes, he is an Auckland-born Maori, but he and Toa Liona are two different people.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Cocaine is Abel posted:

toa liona doesn't have a wikipedia page that can say he's maori

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Besides, if Toa Liona is Maori, I'd wonder why his gear doesn't have either the NZ flag or the Tino Rangatira flag alongside the Samoan and Puerto Rican one. I assume he's reasonably proud of being Samoan and Puerto Rican, so why wouldn't he also be proud enough to include a flag representing that aspect of his heritage, if that were the case?

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Oh. My bad. Well this guy should get a Wikipedia page then, Dave meltzer gave them money so they have the room for more pages

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

edogawa rando posted:

Besides, if Toa Liona is Maori, I'd wonder why his gear doesn't have either the NZ flag or the Tino Rangatira flag alongside the Samoan and Puerto Rican one. I assume he's reasonably proud of being Samoan and Puerto Rican, so why wouldn't he also be proud enough to include a flag representing that aspect of his heritage, if that were the case?

you're taking a decent point and getting extremely weird with it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

that guy seems really proud of his heritage so he probably thinks that stuff is samoan or samoan adjacent. would be my guess. tony khan or mikey ruckus probably don't have encyclopedic knowledge of the Ka Mate haka, composed by Te Rauparaha of the Ngati Toa iwi, based just north of Wellington in New Zealand. i know i learned something today.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

looking up the theme, it looks like it's a mikey ruckus joint so i wonder if he grabbed something from a sound library that was just labeled like, "polynesian" or something

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you absolutely positive it's the Ka Mate and not the Siva Tau

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ivypls posted:

looking up the theme, it looks like it's a mikey ruckus joint so i wonder if he grabbed something from a sound library that was just labeled like, "polynesian" or something

If people want to know just ask him nicely on twitter and he'll answer.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

edogawa rando posted:

As you can probably infer, the lyrics are in Te Reo Maori

it was so obvious! :doh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was right there in front of us this whole time

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

If people want to know just ask him nicely on twitter and he'll answer.

i was gonna say, you could probably hit him up about it. he seems chill

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the ka mate is more widely known as what new zealand rugby teams do for their pre-match haka, and there is a samoan counterpart in rugby called the siva tau (composed explicitly to be done for rugby). fun fact, when the usos stopped using the ka mate they picked up the siva tau instead which i have mixed opinions on -- sure, it's Actually Samoan but i feel weird about treating them as equivalent given the disparate history

Alaois posted:

are you absolutely positive it's the Ka Mate and not the Siva Tau

i don't know either language but it absolutely starts 'ka mate' in the entrance video. idk, i think i'd rather defer to the person with polynesian heritage whose theme it is in terms of what they want to use in their music because it could just be that they know something the viewers don't

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
This can all be solved by making it even more disconnected and weird and have them come out to Alien Weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

It's the biggest ROH PPV ever.

G1 Supercard did 20,000+
Supercard this year did 18,000+

Various Sinclair era shows did 10-15,000. (And did much less towards the end. But I think a big Cody show did 15 and some of the early ones did 10.)

TNA PPVs during their hot period in 2005 did 25-30,000 buys without TV. That dropped to 25,000 as things slowed down.

They averaged 10,000 during the Russo era.

The overall biggest TNA PPVs were

Lockdown 2008 (Joe vs Angle 5) 70-80,000
Genesis 2006 (Joe vs Angle 1) 70,000

I'm amazed only 20K saw G1 Supercard I don't feel like I've ever spoken to anyone who's missed it but I guess that is the bubble of this place.