Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for your comments! Super useful, seriously.

Magnetic North posted:

I think you should consider calling them 'skills' instead of 'highlights' (...)
Yeah, that makes sense.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, make them shorter and punchier with as few additional clauses as possible. For instance, Negotiation and Strong Interpersonal Skills aren't really related so concatenating them doesn't really work.
I've seen "negotiation" mentioned a bunch as a skill in the PM course I did, but I think I get what you're going for.

Magnetic North posted:

You mostly have good action words for your resume, but you have a few outliers.
Thanks, I've rewritten all of those.

Magnetic North posted:

Honestly, I don't like that first bullet "Key Player" in the Senior Associate section at all.
Also rewrote this to highlight what I did a bit more.

Magnetic North posted:

I also like to organize my sections of accomplishments from "most impressive" to "medium impressive" for impact. They're going to mostly be looking at the top of each entry in all probablity.
I get this, but in practice while I have general experience in contract law in general, I don't have specific Contract Management skills. This is not exactly a deal-breaker, I know that they're looking for transferrable skills as well, so I tried to put CM specific skills at the top, and the rest at the bottom.

Lockback posted:

I think a different format might help you.
I don't like your highlights, too soft but I know this industry and it's not uncommon. I'd maybe combine points 5-8 into just.a general one.
Any suggestions for format? Or a sample of what you think the skills should look like? I can try paring them down, but not sure how to cut them down to a general one without essentially writing a generic paragraph that says nothing.

Lockback posted:

If you've spent some money on books or coursework I'd add it. If it's the bar definitely list it.

Dik Hz posted:

Why would you include a line about certs you don’t have?

:thunk:

I mention it because a few of the job postings will say something like "should have X certification or be willing to achieve it soon after hiring", and I am literally studying for it.

Dik Hz posted:

Also, if you’re targeting a resume at a specific job, tailor your bullet points to look as much like the job posting as possible. Straight up use the same action verbs if you can.

Third, your highlights section is too long. You’re just repeating everything in your resume.
Yeah I 100% do this, this is just a generic version that I retailor per the job description. I will say that a lot of the keywords in my skill section is verbatim what you see in these job postings, which is why I kind of made it so long. I'll try and work them into the Experience section and try to reduce redundancies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The rules for euro-hiring are different, and in the little summary paragraph I have at the top I end with whatever I am currently working on getting. If nothing else it tells people that I'm constantly upskilling.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ok, here's v2.

I mostly focused on paring down everything as much as possible and moving whatever I could from the former "highlights" section into the relevant experience bullet.

Thanks for any feedback, it really does help! I do show my CV to friends, but their advice is usually "looks great!" which is nice but not useful.

Edit: I know the US citizen thing might look weird, but I've been told a couple of times by recruiters that having it first and upfront kept them from ignoring my CV because they figured someone that worked abroad would need a visa sponsor.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 29, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dpkg chopra posted:

Ok, here's v2.

I mostly focused on paring down everything as much as possible and moving whatever I could from the former "highlights" section into the relevant experience bullet.

Thanks for any feedback, it really does help! I do show my CV to friends, but their advice is usually "looks great!" which is nice but not useful.

Edit: I know the US citizen thing might look weird, but I've been told a couple of times by recruiters that having it first and upfront kept them from ignoring my CV because they figured someone that worked abroad would need a visa sponsor.

Your skills section is all bullshit that everyone believes about themselves and not actual skills, except for the languages line. If you absolutely must include it (I wouldn’t), at least move it to the end so you’re not leading with it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Your skills section is all bullshit that everyone believes about themselves and not actual skills, except for the languages line. If you absolutely must include it (I wouldn’t), at least move it to the end so you’re not leading with it.

I 100% agree with you on a practical level, but I was under the impression that some of this is required to pass the buzzword filters at big orgs?

Totally open to being shut down on that.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

dpkg chopra posted:

If we're doing CV review do you guys mind if I post mine?

This is for contract manager positions which is a hybrid legal/operational role (doesn't strictly require a legal background but is good to have).

I mentioned it upthread, but I've lived and worked outside of the US, but with some US focus in my work. An international background isn't necessarily a minus for this type of role, but it does mean you have more to prove.

Edit: also, what's the consensus on adding a line for certifications I'm working towards?

dpkg chopra posted:

Ok, here's v2.

I hire U.S. attorneys but am not so familiar with what hiring managers for contract manager positions look for. I'd think regulatory compliance, verifying contract requirements have been met, knowing when to elevate to legal team and when to resolve yourself.

Your experience bullets seem very in alignment for what I think contract managers do. Good call on U.S. citizen. You have a lot of acronyms, HR people don't like to feel dumb.

Seems like a good resume for contract management. Could probably take the puffery and MS word comment out of skills in favor of just letting your experience do the selling. I was more convinced by your experience than skills, but skills is leading the charge. Maybe move skills to the bottom. I'd keep your tagline though. Succinct summary is nice.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dpkg chopra posted:

I 00% agree with you on a practical level, but I was under the impression that some of this is required to pass the buzzword filters at big orgs?

Totally open to being shut down on that.

Buzzword filters aren’t really a thing outside of some niche tech areas. And where they are a thing don’t target the stuff you have listed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Even if they were targeting the things you are putting in there, the robot don’t care about sequence but the person reading sure does. Stick it in the back if you must.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Ok, v3. I really like this one, and also taking out the skills stuff and trying to move it to the experience, where relevant, helped me remember more relevant work experience which now conveniently fits in all the space freed up by not having the skills section.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

After 2 months in a new job I've realised it's not a good fit - the role is completely different to how it was pitched to me. To use a stupid analogy, I was brought on to run Teapot Making projects from start to finish, managing the entire Teapot department to deliver, but on day 1 it's revealed I am only in charge of the guys making lids. And the guys making lids aren't great at it and are running behind, and the rest of the department clearly needs new processes and to have one person running the project, but management doesn't have any interest in changing things.

I'm starting to look for new roles and am comfortable using the 'not a good fit' excuse to interviewers as to why I'm looking to get out so soon, but am wondering if I should just leave it off my CV altogether given that it looks unlikely I'll have any achievements to point to while I'm here.

The problem is that I was not working from January-June this year as I took a redundancy, so I took my sweet time upskilling and finding a job as I had cash to live on - but if I leave this latest job off my resume I suddenly have an 8 to 9 month period of unemployment that might look a bit worse than 6. Thoughts?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

dpkg chopra posted:

Ok, v3. I really like this one, and also taking out the skills stuff and trying to move it to the experience, where relevant, helped me remember more relevant work experience which now conveniently fits in all the space freed up by not having the skills section.

This is already leagues better. The only nitpick I have is that I don't know if I like having the statements in the same bullet separated by periods instead of commas, but in these cases, they flow and read pretty well to my eye, so they are probably fine.

CarForumPoster posted:

I hire U.S. attorneys
Good call on U.S. citizen.

Regarding the US Citizen thing: This person almost certainly knows better than me, but I'll add what I've come across. Others can correct me or add their side of things.

Under normal circumstances, the advice I've heard and read is to avoid adding anything that could personally identify your race, gender, ethnicity etc as that might put you at risk of discrimination or just the overzealous discarding of your resume to avoid the potential jeopardy of a discrimination suit, etc. Unfortunately, the salient point is probably going to relate to your real name. If it's one that a dumbfuck white boomer would read and not immediately cast judgement on (like Joey or Jane Parker), then you might be able to get away with not mentioning it. If it's something they will recognize (like Miguel or Maria Hernandez) then you're probably stuck.

I know this sounds odd, but I became keenly aware of this sort of 'discrimination dancing' pre-pandemic when I helped an previous coworker with his resume. He's a US citizen but is originally from Africa, and his name is very unique stateside. So, though I suggested he might wish to remove an African Diaspora club from his resume to avoid potential discrimination, I also figured it wouldn't matter as much for him specifically because he is always going to be ice skating uphill because of his given name. We've all heard about those studies where they send "Jose Davis" versus "Joe Davis" or "J. Davis" and the more ethnic sounding names get way less responses, which is bullshit.

This all sucks and I hate that it's necessary for some people to consider and not others. That guy was a hell of an engineer, and it sounds like you're an accomplished laws-person and I wish that was enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you reside in a foreign country and are applying to work in the US, or for a job where US citizenship is viewed favorably, you should put that you are a US citizen. This is not the same thing as the situations you are describing, which are bad etc

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you reside in a foreign country and are applying to work in the US, or for a job where US citizenship is viewed favorably, you should put that you are a US citizen. This is not the same thing as the situations you are describing, which are bad etc

Agree.

Adding to it: Sadly, that discrimination happens all the time. There's almost never legal consequences to it, and it wouldnt make any sense for someone to read into the resume like that and make that decision.

Also somewhat sadly, there really truly are almost no legal consequences to this discrimination, because how would you prove it? I have looked at >1000 employment lawsuit complaints I have seen exactly ONE about discrimination during the hiring process before an offer was made. In that case the discrimination was EXTREMELY overt and written down with text message screenshots and I only remember it because it took months of looking at every employment lawsuit in a major U.S. state before I finally found one that was during the interview process without a job offer.

Now I could be missing that these are handled at the demand letter stage or with EEOC complaints, I dont have that data, but a pretty solid portion discrimination lawsuits get filed without reporting to the EEOC and I would think the plaintiffs bar would much rather handle this type of matter by going demand letter -> court rather than involve the EEOC.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, even without the racism/xenophobia angle, for some reason companies just do not want to gently caress with the visa sponsorhip process even though, as far as I know, it's fairly simple and low risk??

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My company is currently trying to get someone into the UK and the visa sponsorship process is just sloooooow. Dude has been working for us since January, he would just like to live here too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah, even without the racism/xenophobia angle, for some reason companies just do not want to gently caress with the visa sponsorhip process even though, as far as I know, it's fairly simple and low risk??

it may be relatively simple but there is a line by category and country, and you have no visibility if you for instance file an EB-2 or EB-3 if they will be able to apply to emigrate in two months or two years. As you can imagine this is very annoying for the hiring company.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

dpkg chopra posted:

Hiring is already a tremendous pain in the rear end. Why add another layer of bullshit to the process?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
After two months of searching and being unemployed, I got an offer! :toot:

The complication: of the applications I had that were further along in the process, this was on the lower end of it all, and they want a response today. What's the current business etiquette on if another of those possibilities were to come back with a significantly better offer? I don't feel entirely comfortable just turning this one down and crossing my fingers, but there's some social anxiety about saying yes and then saying no like a week later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dpkg chopra posted:

Visa sponsorship has always been a pretty big pain in the rear end, fairly expensive and 2017-2021 also showed how easy it is to get rug-pulled on even the easy stuff. If you're a big corp and can afford to have a few people on payroll who specialize in dealing with it, it can be ok (but still not ideal). If you're a small/medium company it can be a significant burden.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Lord of Hats posted:

After two months of searching and being unemployed, I got an offer! :toot:

The complication: of the applications I had that were further along in the process, this was on the lower end of it all, and they want a response today. What's the current business etiquette on if another of those possibilities were to come back with a significantly better offer? I don't feel entirely comfortable just turning this one down and crossing my fingers, but there's some social anxiety about saying yes and then saying no like a week later.

A response can be "I can sign today for $OFFER+15%", not just a flat yes or no.

That said, a company actually insisting you must accept their nonnegotiable offer today or it's withdrawn is using pressure/bully tactics and it means they're a lovely horror show of a company 100.0% of the time, and you should feel great about turning it around on them and saying "I can only do it for $OFFER+20%. No? Ok, thanks for everything, good luck. <click>"

I personally would always respond (have always responded) to "we need an answer today and no later" with "No. I can't do that. You are not the only company I'm talking to. I need time to consider my options." If they respond to that by severing then they've just done me a gigantic favor. But I don't have any anxiety/fear of uncertainty issues so that may not be a practicable option for many people who do.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My interview today couldn't have gone better.

The controller was a nice older gentlemen. Due to his hip surgery, he was wearing shorts and a jersey. I came in a tie, suit, and jacket. He said he liked that. He liked I had a resume on resume paper. He said my qualifications were great. My description of my work history only increased his confidence. He said he could tell I had a could personality and a good fit. They liked that I said I wanted to make sure my departure wouldn't hurt my current employer. They said they've been having people come in and bad mouth their old employers and they liked that I seemed to be very polite and courteous and professional.They said my salary of $90,000 was absolutely doable and that it wouldn't be a problem. They outright said they were more worried that I'd go and take another offer before accepting their offer. They said that since the controller is going on vacation they'd prefer if I started mid-september. I think that's good since it gives me time to set up for my departure at my current employer.

Of course, things may not work out but he basically said he'd have an offer to me soon and the recruiter I was working with, which was his son, said he's gonna cancel his future interviews for the position.

The job sounds kind of perfect. It's a better commute to work at only 25 or so minutes and next to no traffic at rushhour. I know that because our interview was at 10am so I left at 8:40, expecting traffic, and got there mondo early. The job's salary is a 50% raise from my current salary. The hours are flexible. The work is very similar to what I'm already doing. The controller and owner I met with seemed very nice. They are even moving the office to one even closer to me soon. It has health insurance with a freedom plan. It has a 401k, but you need to work 1 year to qualify. That one is a little annoying, but it's a minor price to pay. I can always contribute to my Roth IRA for the first year instead.

I really, really hope I get it. And I feel super confident that I did. I haven't said anything yet to my current employer, just to be clear, but, when I get a set offer and start date, I plan to do so.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fingers crossed for you.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

A response can be "I can sign today for $OFFER+15%", not just a flat yes or no.

That said, a company actually insisting you must accept their nonnegotiable offer today or it's withdrawn is using pressure/bully tactics and it means they're a lovely horror show of a company 100.0% of the time, and you should feel great about turning it around on them and saying "I can only do it for $OFFER+20%. No? Ok, thanks for everything, good luck. <click>"

I personally would always respond (have always responded) to "we need an answer today and no later" with "No. I can't do that. You are not the only company I'm talking to. I need time to consider my options." If they respond to that by severing then they've just done me a gigantic favor. But I don't have any anxiety/fear of uncertainty issues so that may not be a practicable option for many people who do.

This a thousand times.

This was the advice I gave a friend in her negotiations a couple of months ago, and the company was SO SURE she was going to accept under their extremely lovely deadline that they went into full panic and scramble mode a day later trying to get her more money asking “WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT? WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD ACCEPT!”

They’re definitely just trying to bully you (really dumb in this market), and it really sets the tone if you don’t buy into it.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 29, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just got a verbal offer and it's even better than I thought:
  • $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 6 month review for further salary increase
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Health Insurance with 50% matching
  • Eligible for 401k on January 1st, 2024
  • Flexible start date

The recruiter said to call him back around 2 or 3pm to discuss how to resign properly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Gin_Rummy posted:

This a thousand times.

This was the advice I gave a friend in her negotiations a couple of months ago, and the company was SO SURE she was going to accept under their extremely lovely deadline that they went into full panic and scramble mode a day later trying to get her more money asking “WHY DIDNT YOU ACCEPT? WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD ACCEPT!”

They’re definitely just trying to bully you (really dumb in this market), and it really sets the tone if you don’t buy into it.

Yeah. Also if you submit meekly to pressure then they know right off the bat, before you've even arrived for your first day, that you're the kind of person who submits meekly to pressure. Nothing good for you ensues from that.

Covok posted:

I just got a verbal offer and it's even better than I thought:[list]

Congrats dude! :hellyeah:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

I just got a verbal offer and it's even better than I thought:
  • $90,000 Base
  • Christmas bonus
  • 6 month review for further salary increase
  • 15 Paid Vacation Days
  • Health Insurance with 50% matching
  • Eligible for 401k on January 1st, 2024
  • Flexible start date

The recruiter said to call him back around 2 or 3pm to discuss how to resign properly.
Wait for the written offer and then stack that paper.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait for the written offer and then stack that paper.

+1

If USA: Do not quit without a written offer.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I just spoke to the recruiter and he said the employer was fine with me waiting to get a written offer before putitng in my resignation. It looks like I'm gunning for 8/15 or 8/22 as my start date.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

+1

If USA: Do not quit without a written offer.

I’d add do not quit until background check clears and you have a firm start date.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
gently caress yeah! Happy to hear it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’d add do not quit until background check clears and you have a firm start date.

They aren't doing a reference check and they said I can pick my start date.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

gently caress yeah! Happy to hear it.

Hey thanks! I really do want to thank everyone here for the advice and support. This whole process is bewildering and dumb. It's good to have people to ask for help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell yeah brother

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Had a recruiter reach out to me the other day with a great opportunity, I've never worked with one before - I have a Zoom meeting scheduled with them prior to the interview with the actual company. She supplied me with information about the company's benefits package and sent me a short questionnaire about my prior work experience. What would a discussion like this with a recruiter entail? I'm assuming this is an opportunity for her to get one last check before the interview to make sure it's likely to be a good fit and a chance for me to ask some details about the interview process and the company ahead of time?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is this a freelance recruiter or someone that works for the company itself?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Freelance, seems to work with the company regularly. She said she had placed a few of their supervisors and a few employees.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You will have found the first useful 3rd party recruiter ITT if you get that job lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

holefoods posted:

Had a recruiter reach out to me the other day with a great opportunity, I've never worked with one before - I have a Zoom meeting scheduled with them prior to the interview with the actual company. She supplied me with information about the company's benefits package and sent me a short questionnaire about my prior work experience. What would a discussion like this with a recruiter entail? I'm assuming this is an opportunity for her to get one last check before the interview to make sure it's likely to be a good fit and a chance for me to ask some details about the interview process and the company ahead of time?
They probably just want to make sure you won't embarass them if they forward you to their client.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Be prepared for them to cancel at literally the last minute (maybe even later than that!) with literally no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

holefoods posted:

They’re probably lying about everything they tell you but it’s still probably worth talking to them.