Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Barn Owls are also a very particular kind of terrifying, especially if they feel threatened and are trying to scare you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGjoknxwbtw&t=19s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8eirvzQIg

I really just don't like that birds can hiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Norwegian lemming but the size of a bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehbm6ZCj8Ro

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Barn Owls are also a very particular kind of terrifying, especially if they feel threatened and are trying to scare you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU8eirvzQIg

You came to the wrong barn mother fucker!

Also :stonk:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
the owls are not what they seem

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

There are a lot of cryptids that are really clearly "saw an owl while it was dark/observer was in an altered state or just scared as hell," and it's kind of great. It makes me want to write a horror game where every problem is Just an Owl. (Still a problem! Just an owl. Maybe an owl with a knife.)

An owl picked up a gun and won't drop it! The party must retrieve it without getting shot as the owl flies around the woods randomly shooting things

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Improbable Lobster posted:

An owl picked up a gun and won't drop it! The party must retrieve it without getting shot as the owl flies around the woods randomly shooting things
"I saw a horrible amorphous beast! It hissed at me with its many writhing heads!"

"That was just a pile of owls. Guarding the corpse of the man they murdered."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me y'all should really watch Nope.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Antivehicular posted:

There are a lot of cryptids that are really clearly "saw an owl while it was dark/observer was in an altered state or just scared as hell," and it's kind of great. It makes me want to write a horror game where every problem is Just an Owl. (Still a problem! Just an owl. Maybe an owl with a knife.)

Nope, the new Jordan Peele movie, has a few great references to this (like how the roadside western attraction trying to capitalize on poo poo sells Alien toys that are very obviously just repurposed Owl toys) but my favorite is when they reveal hits that the UFO isn’t a ship, it’s the alien itself, and you realize that between the silent flying and nocturnal hunting it’s essentially a giant Space Owl that eats horses, and also people

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's Wod though. Even if that's arguably the best book WW ever did.

that's not White Wolf :v:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Nickoten posted:

If I like fighting games or something and just want to know what a new popular one is, Steam already does that. It just recommended me Multiversus, as an example, because I have a bunch of hours in fighting games in my library. I assume people are talking about why it might be a tough problem to solve for Steam to do something more involved than that.

Yes. I think MultiVersus is a Smash style game, so a Street Fighter style fan might not like it because of the very different style, even though both are about “fighting”.

Equally, someone who liked the look of Street Fighter but bounced off the online Pareto problem might be a great bet to try MultiVersus instead, but because they haven’t been playing Street Fighter, it’s a low priority for them.

Same with RPGs. Fellowship and D&D5e are both fantasy games. Someone who is happy with D&D5e might not like Fellowship. Someone who didn’t like D&D5e might find what they were looking for in Fellowship, but if they only know about D&D5e right now, chances are they aren’t playing visibly playing fantasy RPGs at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nothing to see here

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nothing to see here
That's the problem hyphz is describing yes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Splicer posted:

That's the problem hyphz is describing yes

I was responding on my phone but I hosed up hard on some formatting so I just edited that in quick.

Somehow ninja-ing that so it didn't show so it's even more confusing.

Really, just a great post all around. A+, I'm proud.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was responding on my phone but I hosed up hard on some formatting so I just edited that in quick.

Somehow ninja-ing that so it didn't show so it's even more confusing.

Really, just a great post all around. A+, I'm proud.
It was a jape

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Nope, the new Jordan Peele movie, has a few great references to this (like how the roadside western attraction trying to capitalize on poo poo sells Alien toys that are very obviously just repurposed Owl toys) but my favorite is when they reveal hits that the UFO isn’t a ship, it’s the alien itself, and you realize that between the silent flying and nocturnal hunting it’s essentially a giant Space Owl that eats horses, and also people

It even swallows its prey whole and regurgitates what it can't digest.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-cataclysm/posts/3569506

So Sandy Petersen is essentially using the delivery of each Kickstarter project (8 of them!!!!) to pay for the delivery of the next one.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

alg posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/petersengames/cthulhu-wars-cataclysm/posts/3569506

So Sandy Petersen is essentially using the delivery of each Kickstarter project (8 of them!!!!) to pay for the delivery of the next one.

Are you obligated to lick a company's ballsack on Kickstarter? 90% of the time when a company shits the bed re: kickstarter there's at least one dumbfuck going "uhhhhh guys? criticism isn't helping????" and I don't understand this. Like Mantic games literally had to come in to try and rescue the "kings of War RPG" project and found out it was impossible, basically nothing was done enough to even release a text document of the rules, there was nothing and they had literally just been lying about the state of the project for a long time to both the backers and mantic themselves, and there were people in the comments being like "uhhh guys? COVID?? Hello???! Compassion please?"

I don't understand this phenomenon at all. I believe in accepting slower delivery times and project upsets due to pandemics and stuff, but companies can be like "we got two million dollars to make what is effectively a re-themed munchkin and nothing is done, I know its been four years, also all of the money is spent, where did the two million go?" and in march the bootlickers talking about how kickstarter isn't a store, etc. like we know its not a store, but this attitude seems to be "you should be 100% dispassionate when you find out that your 600$ pledge you bought four years ago was wasted and you basically got scammed" and react to that news with the same amount of thought as "oh, my neighbor mowed his lawn today"

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://tabletop.events/conventions/ffa-gaming-event

"Sponsors & Vendors Will be kept Confidential until the day of the Event. To keep Retaliations down"

"sign-ups will only be in-person starting Friday, March 24, 2023. (The Early Bird gets the worm, as they would say in 1968)"

Eastmabl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 30, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Wowza, what a sales pitch.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

alg posted:

I thought KS imposed limits to avoid this kind of abuse. I mean, I recall a company I've freelanced for having to appeal to KS because they had two mostly completed Kickstarters that hadn't finished because Australian shipping, and they wanted to release a new one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If everyone wants something else to discuss, I was reading over this article before and I feel like it's the latest in a recent trend of puff pieces about Dungeons & Dragons that really frustrate me:

https://kotaku.com/dnd-movie-honor-among-thieves-trailer-marvel-1849345237

The essence of the article is that the Dungeons & Dragons movie looks like a generic action movie when it could lean more into queer narratives. I do think it's going to be an unremarkable popcorn flick, but I find it very frustrating when stuff like this presents D&D as some unique domain for exploring your gender identity and sexuality like that isn't inherent to tabletop roleplaying as a medium. D&D isn't unique in that regard and it's only slightly better about social issues now because of people calling out decades of bullshit. And it's not because the writer isn't aware of other RPGs, she's reviewed other games on Kotaku before, alludes to "other games" in the article and finally namedrops Thirsty Sword Lesbians in the last paragraph.

The answer to "Why isn't this dumb Hollywood movie licensed to carry the D&D branding as gay as I want it to be?" is that D&D as an IP isn't as gay as you want it to be.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Eastmabl posted:

"Sponsors & Vendors Will be kept Confidential until the day of the Event. To keep Retaliations down"

That's gonna be a record-high concentration of neo-Nazis in Lake Geneva, WI.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Eastmabl posted:

I know when I give money to support something, it's vitally important that as few people know as possible. That's why no one knows who owns Lincoln Financial Field.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Eastmabl posted:

"sign-ups will only be in-person starting Friday, March 24, 2023. (The Early Bird gets the worm, as they would say in 1968)"

Uhh don't they realize that by making anything remotely public that people could contact the event venue and tell them "Hey these guys are loving Nazi Alt-Right Fash Fucks, maybe don't let them come around"?

edit: Unless they own it or something?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Frosthaven production is continuing and Isaac basically confirmed they are taking a massive bath with the project due to all the hosed up poo poo going on globally re: shipping and manufacturing. But - unlike most companies, Cephalofair is in a good enough position to swallow those losses, while he understands other companies aren't.

(Probably on the shoulders of Gloomhaven Digital tbh.)

The comments are predictably terrible - chuds hate it when you remind them Russia's invasion of Ukraine is a big reason we're here now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eastmabl posted:

I thought KS imposed limits to avoid this kind of abuse. I mean, I recall a company I've freelanced for having to appeal to KS because they had two mostly completed Kickstarters that hadn't finished because Australian shipping, and they wanted to release a new one.

as i understand it they kind of just don't enforce the limits on anyone big enough to bring them substantial business

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

If everyone wants something else to discuss, I was reading over this article before and I feel like it's the latest in a recent trend of puff pieces about Dungeons & Dragons that really frustrate me:

https://kotaku.com/dnd-movie-honor-among-thieves-trailer-marvel-1849345237

The essence of the article is that the Dungeons & Dragons movie looks like a generic action movie when it could lean more into queer narratives. I do think it's going to be an unremarkable popcorn flick, but I find it very frustrating when stuff like this presents D&D as some unique domain for exploring your gender identity and sexuality like that isn't inherent to tabletop roleplaying as a medium. D&D isn't unique in that regard and it's only slightly better about social issues now because of people calling out decades of bullshit. And it's not because the writer isn't aware of other RPGs, she's reviewed other games on Kotaku before, alludes to "other games" in the article and finally namedrops Thirsty Sword Lesbians in the last paragraph.

The answer to "Why isn't this dumb Hollywood movie licensed to carry the D&D branding as gay as I want it to be?" is that D&D as an IP isn't as gay as you want it to be.

It does feel like giving WOTC a bunch of credit that they did nothing to deserve and then wondering why they aren't following through on the credit you gave them.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Eastmabl posted:

I feel like I have missed a memo about the future farmers of America?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Reading that Article, I don't think they are like puffing up WotC at all. It's just specifically talking about the thing they like about tabletop gaming. It even mentions other games.

It's talking much more about the community of queer people both playing D&D and other games than WotC itself.

Reading it it seems like it's just a blog of someone lamenting it. More so than trying to make any large statement.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

Reading that Article, I don't think they are like puffing up WotC at all. It's just specifically talking about the thing they like about tabletop gaming. It even mentions other games.

It's talking much more about the community of queer people both playing D&D and other games than WotC itself.

Reading it it seems like it's just a blog of someone lamenting it. More so than trying to make any large statement.

It's a "Commentary" article, so no, it's not trying to be deep journalism. If it was, then the way it repeats that old misconception about Lord of the Rings being the start and end of D&D's influences would be a big issue, too. And it mentions one other game by name once, and another time alludes to "other games" in a vague way. Nothing in this paragraph is exclusive to D&D, and much of it was stuff the game either didn't facilitate or was hostile towards for many decades:

quote:

For roleplayers of queer identities, D&D is often the “action movie,” we’ll never get: a place where all the main characters can look and sound and dress like us. And it’s not merely the singular escape of one person, but rather the collective escape that we share with others. We can process our feelings about a world that wants us to not exist, yet we persevere. We can learn to form friendships and bonds with people after a lifetime of not having the best versions of ourselves put forward. That is a sense of “found family” that an Avengers movie can only provide by drowning it in headcanon—and even then, we’ll be accused of making everything about us when so little is. D&D is when it can be about us.

Lamenting about the D&D movie leaning into "found families" the way Guardians of the Galaxy does and not as a common thing in queer communities is putting the cart before the horse a bit. The TTRPG space has a lot of queer creators and games made to model or play out found families like that. Saying D&D does that is misattributing the efforts of passionate fans or creators who are reclaiming and repurposing the framework of D&D without its permission or endorsement.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 30, 2022

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

as i understand it they kind of just don't enforce the limits on anyone big enough to bring them substantial business

I had thought "daisy chaining" campaigns was explicitly against the TOS, though I can't find it in the terms of service/campaign creator rules.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a "Commentary" article, so no, it's not trying to be deep journalism. If it was, then the way it repeats that old misconception about Lord of the Rings being the start and end of D&D's influences would be a big issue, too. And it mentions one other game by name once, and another time alludes to "other games" in a vague way. Nothing in this paragraph is exclusive to D&D, and much of it was stuff the game either didn't facilitate or was hostile towards for many decades:

Lamenting about the D&D movie leaning into "found families" the way Guardians of the Galaxy does and not as a common thing in queer communities is putting the cart before the horse a bit. The TTRPG space has a lot of queer creators and games made to model or play out found families like that. Saying D&D does that is misattributing the efforts of passionate fans or creators who are reclaiming and repurposing the framework of D&D without its permission or endorsement.

Maybe that's the thing, In this I'm just generally not viewing them as saying WotC or Hasbro is doing anything themselves. Like they specifically are saying this is a community driven thing. That they wish the movie was doing more of.

D&D has an absolute poo poo ton of queer people doing Actual plays, and streams online about it. That People like and follow those people and their queer games and maybe want something more like that which they find entertaining in the space.

I don't think they are like particularly shocked that they went the Marvel route, but just want the thing they see more of when they watch some queer AP or podcast, and are musing on that.

They also aren't lamenting the found family aspect.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 30, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dexo posted:

Maybe that's the thing, In this I'm just generally not viewing them as saying WotC or Hasbro is doing anything themselves. Like they specifically are saying this is a community driven thing. That they wish the movie was doing more of.

D&D has an absolute poo poo ton of queer people doing Actual plays, and streams online about it. That People like and follow those people and their queer games and maybe want something more like that which they find entertaining in the space.

I don't think they are like particularly shocked that they went the Marvel route, but just want the thing they see more of when they watch some queer AP or podcast, and are musing on that.

I don't think she's attributing anything to WotC or Hasbro. I think there's an implication when you center D&D as the place to have a queer action movie you can't get anywhere else, it's implying the game itself uniquely facilitates that when it doesn't and never has.

Dexo posted:

They also aren't lamenting the found family aspect.

It sounds like you think I'm implying she's lamenting it being used at all and that's not what I'm saying. I don't feel like going around in circles on this though so I don't know what else to say here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't think she's attributing anything to WotC or Hasbro. I think there's an implication when you center D&D as the place to have a queer action movie you can't get anywhere else, it's implying the game itself uniquely facilitates that when it doesn't and never has.

It sounds like you think I'm implying she's lamenting it being used at all and that's not what I'm saying. I don't feel like going around in circles on this though so I don't know what else to say here.

I would just make the argument tons of things don't really "facilitate" things that they end up being used in various communities for.

I do concur that this is something that is just a disagreement over parsing someone elses words so it is pretty stupid and circular.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The entire DTRPG page for Hunter: the Reckoning 2e is people complaining about the price, and I yearn for the day my Exalted 3e Solar Charms rewrite is finished so that I can charge $40 for it and refuse to lower the price, ever, under any circumstances.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Eastmabl posted:

The contact email is TSRLakeGeneva@gmail.com, this is 100% LaNasa and company.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rand Brittain posted:

The entire DTRPG page for Hunter: the Reckoning 2e is people complaining about the price, and I yearn for the day my Exalted 3e Solar Charms rewrite is finished so that I can charge $40 for it and refuse to lower the price, ever, under any circumstances.

Enlightened Pricing Mantra of the God King

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Do you think the Horticultural Hall has any idea that they're renting space to chuds?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Do you think the Horticultural Hall has any idea that they're renting space to chuds?

Well, I sent them an email, and apparently people on EN World have as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nuns with Guns posted:

For the broader world, d&d is a genre, not a specific work. If you conflate those things, D&D (or RPGs more generally) is probably the genre of entertainment, in your experience that most includes characters like you, whoever you are, since you define at least one character in every game you play of it. The D&D movie is not D&D, it's a movie.