Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Square Enix is run by complete morons, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They should split up and let Enix make good games again.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
It is a travesty that Illusion of Gaia & Terranigma haven't been remade or even been re-released.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

They should split up and let Enix make good games again.

have you heard of this obscure indie gem called dragon quest 11? It’s pretty good. i heard they’re making a second one

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Dragon Quest games are too JRPGish to be good JRPGs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The square enix merger was one of the first tragedies to hit me in my young life

What?? I've had a pretty easy life, cool it with the dirty looks

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Tinkering on a PC though I don't know, must be because I work with one all day because the last thing I want to do during my free time is fiddle with a PC
The Deck is mostly fire and forget since Steam developers are targeting it specifically and there's official control schemes. So far I haven't had to fiddle with any graphics settings but I'd probably could get better performance if I did.

There's some really stellar Switch game ports out there, but there's also a bunch of half-assed ports plagued with performance issues too. The Deck is better at handling the latter due to sheer performance, but also that PC ports have configurable graphics settings gives you an out. Also Steam does refunds.

I have a Deck and two Switches and with my Switch backlog I don't see myself putting it away anytime soon. But I did buy the Outer Wilds + DLC for like $20 on Steam since I got tired of waiting for the Switch port. I also canceled my preorder or NieR:Automata since I already had it from a $20 Steam sale and I doubt the performance is going to be appreciably better on the Switch (it's fine on Deck) to be worth waiting for and paying a premium. I'd say the same about Dying Light if the Switch port hadn't already come out.

Otherwise the Deck is really for games that won't be coming to the Switch at all. For a random indie I'd probably still prefer the Switch version if it's released day and date with a Steam version. For one, the Deck doesn't dock nearly as conveniently as the Switch does.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Deck is mostly fire and forget since Steam developers are targeting it specifically and there's official control schemes. So far I haven't had to fiddle with any graphics settings but I'd probably could get better performance if I did.

There's some really stellar Switch game ports out there, but there's also a bunch of half-assed ports plagued with performance issues too. The Deck is better at handling the latter due to sheer performance, but also that PC ports have configurable graphics settings gives you an out. Also Steam does refunds.

I have a Deck and two Switches and with my Switch backlog I don't see myself putting it away anytime soon. But I did buy the Outer Wilds + DLC for like $20 on Steam since I got tired of waiting for the Switch port. I also canceled my preorder or NieR:Automata since I already had it from a $20 Steam sale and I doubt the performance is going to be appreciably better on the Switch (it's fine on Deck) to be worth waiting for and paying a premium. I'd say the same about Dying Light if the Switch port hadn't already come out.

Otherwise the Deck is really for games that won't be coming to the Switch at all. For a random indie I'd probably still prefer the Switch version if it's released day and date with a Steam version. For one, the Deck doesn't dock nearly as conveniently as the Switch does.

who gives a poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Stux posted:

who gives a poo poo

Welcome back Stux.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real gently caress off with that low effort poo poo, we're having a good chat here

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
die

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Epic username/post combo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

who gives a poo poo

Gonna have to agree with this tbh

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Is this like a Nintendo Power situation where we aren't allowed to refer to any other devices/competitors by your employer and just pretend they don't exist?

Idk The steam deck is a switch competitor and it functions very similarly, I think comparisons to the experience of using either is pretty relevant to the thread, but that's just my HOT take

I thought you were handheld fans too but maybe I was wrong!!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s not a switch competitor because people can’t buy one

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

KingSlime posted:

Is this like a Nintendo Power situation where we aren't allowed to refer to any other devices/competitors by your employer and just pretend they don't exist?

Idk The steam deck is a switch competitor and it functions very similarly, I think comparisons to the experience of using either is pretty relevant to the thread, but that's just my HOT take

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

calm down, op. Play kirby or something

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I want to play Kirby but I got sucked back into Elden Ring

E: stux you should have used a different GIF, I am instantly able to repel your insult and thus defeat you because you went with anime

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendos games own, but the Switch is very underpowered and it holds their games back from being better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KingSlime posted:

If you just do the main levels, Forgotten Lands is like the same length as Stray. Its not much of a commitment at all until you get into the side content.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I said come in! posted:

Nintendos games own, but the Switch is very underpowered and it holds their games back from being better.

not really

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

KingSlime posted:

E: stux you should have used a different GIF, I am instantly able to repel your insult and thus defeat you because you went with anime

Kirby is anime, your argument is invalid.

edit: you just got stux'd

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I heard you can run Kirby at a full 60 fps on PC. That sounds pretty badass imo even though I'm still going to play it on switch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

I heard you can run Kirby at a full 60 fps on PC. That sounds pretty badass imo even though I'm still going to play it on switch

that's wild

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Must be exhausting to spend so much energy worrying about performance instead of just enjoying the video games

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KingSlime posted:

They aren't really competitors except for the somewhat-narrow window of indie titles that are on both Switch and Steam, for most of which either platform is fine and it's totally a preference on which to play.

What I think is useful to discuss are ports that are better on one platform or another since that helps decide which to purchase. Like, will the Outer Wilds Switch port--when it happens--have significant performance improvements? Because it runs like rear end pretty much everywhere right now.

I was also pretty thrilled for the No Man's Sky Switch port until they announced it wouldn't have multiplayer, which seems like a strange omission.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TOW is like disco elysium where I was really concerned because the game ran like rear end on PS4 lol. That game seems held together with tape sometimes

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Stux posted:

not really

Play XBC2 and get back to us

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Anyone here play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yet? How's it feeling?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don’t play XBC2 it sucks poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pungry posted:

Played for a few hours it's good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Dpulex posted:

Play XBC2 and get back to us

i will play the drums on your skull until i ffix what is wrong with you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pungry posted:

It's amazing, one of the best JRPGs i've played lately and might very well surpass Xenoblade X for me as my favorite Xenoblade.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im going to get convinced to get a xenoblade game and not play it because i hate the combat for the third time ftw

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

i will play the drums on your skull until i ffix what is wrong with you

I thought you were talking about Final Fantasy IX for a second

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No Man's Sky Switch port won't have multiplayer, which seems like a strange omission.

Neither did the original launch on PlayStation 4! :v:

Seems perfectly in keeping with tradition to me!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im going to get convinced to get a xenoblade game and not play it because i hate the combat for the third time ftw

Atelier ryza 1&2 are half price or so

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When is the Life is Strange remaster going to be undelayed for Switch? Someone tell me, please. I would like to play it on my SWOLED.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I was also pretty thrilled for the No Man's Sky Switch port until they announced it wouldn't have multiplayer, which seems like a strange omission.

They said it wouldn't launch with multiplayer, which leaves the possibility of it to be added later.

I'd guess this might be due to Nintendo's online policies and them trying to weave the game through those rather than anything on a technical level; if they have it running on the Switch as well as they claim, I can't see multiplayer being SME huge technical hurdle compared to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Square should release the Pixel Remasters on Switch. No idea why they haven't done it.

Palmtree Panic posted:

It is a travesty that Illusion of Gaia & Terranigma haven't been remade or even been re-released.

Man they have such a huge rear end library and I'm still amazed they haven't slapped them on the switch

Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma getting rereleased would be nice but poo poo at this point I'd take Chrono Trigger and the other Dragon Quest DS remakes* to have on the go

(Can't stand mobile controls so the phone ports aint happening)