Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
IIRC the statute of limitations is five years and has passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

IIRC the statute of limitations is five years and has passed.

This is only part true. Some of the counts expired and others still have some time to go.

I don’t see them charging for the Mueller investigation obstruction though because there’s some chicken and egg stuff going on there that isn’t a slam dunk by any means.

The president IS the executive branch, can he obstruct himself? Uh, maybe? I would say yes, but I wouldn’t trust scotus to make that same determination. And that’s where it would end up.

I’m not even sure Trump can be charged for J06. But I do think he can be charged for obstruction after he was out of office.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VitalSigns posted:

They're already saying that insurrectionists are the REAL cop-haters
https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS/status/1552051455204507648

I hope all those self-hating off duty cops who stormed the capitol get some help and learn to love themselves :smith:

For once I agree with Trump here. He should turn himself in and answer for his crimes

Epicurius posted:

Serious question, do police vote 90% Republican? I've been trying to look up the numbers and can't find anything.

Not sure honestly. I've wondered the same thing about the military vote but can never nail down solid splits. I feel safe in saying that, for the most part, any group of people that primarily is paid to solve problems by force tends to lean Republican.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure honestly. I've wondered the same thing about the military vote but can never nail down solid splits. I feel safe in saying that, for the most part, any group of people that primarily is paid to solve problems by force tends to lean Republican.

I don't know. There seems to be bipartisan consensus that solving problems by force is awesome.

Anyway, here's this from a marketing company, for what its worth.

https://www.refuelagency.com/blog/military/win-the-military-vote-2020/

quote:

Over the past five years, the military community overall has shifted its party affiliations. In 2015, 28% of the military identified as Republican; in 2020, this number has risen to 40%.

And four years ago, active duty, reserves, and spouses were more decisive about their party affiliations, with only 26% not affiliated with a party. In 2020, however, 45% identify as independent or report having no political affiliation.

The majority of the military community reports that they’re middle of the road — 41% active duty, 41% reserves, 40% military spouses, and 36% post 9/11 veterans. The remaining voters still skew conservative or very conservative. Overall, 9% of military members identify as Democrat (compared to 20% in 2015).

Generally, younger military members are slightly more likely to identify as somewhat liberal. Over 13% of active duty, reserves, and spouses identify as somewhat liberal — compared to 9% of retirees who identify as somewhat liberal.

In the case of older veterans and military retirees, you’re dealing with a more decisive and right-leaning group of voters. Older veterans are 57% more likely to be Republican, and retirees are 64% more likely to be Republican.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Stop loving up, people.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
As always, "I'll sue everyone"

https://twitter.com/la_lacouture_/status/1552518149584601088

"“I have notified CNN of my intent to file a lawsuit over their repeated defamatory statements against me,” Trump's statement said. “I will also be commencing actions against other media outlets who have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election.”"

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1552371564083126273

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I hate how effective this moronic word judo will be.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'd like to see him try and get obliterated in court.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Notifying someone of your intent to sue" is like the polar opposite of a power move.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
At some point Donald Trump and Canadian Queen Romano Didulo will merge to become MEGA MAGA.

Their batshit crazy levels are both pretty high.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who's Romulan Dildo?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This is just red meat. CNN would destroy him, and the discovery would bring up uncomfortable facts. I hope he's genuinely stupid enough to do this. I'm guessing some stupid $20 lawyer is telling him executive privilege will shield him from discovery.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who's Romulan Dildo?

Romana Didulou, Canadian woman who has become a dangerously influential Qanon promoter, while at least having the decency to be entertaining enough to declare herself Queen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is just red meat. CNN would destroy him, and the discovery would bring up uncomfortable facts. I hope he's genuinely stupid enough to do this. I'm guessing some stupid $20 lawyer is telling him executive privilege will shield him from discovery.

Isn't CNN's case already made for them in the hearings? They've shown that he knew it was all bullshit. This trial would be quicker than Bannon's.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Oh God please sue them do it do it do it :circlefap:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ok Trump, present the evidence of voter fraud and this will be an open and shut case of defamation.

Just ship it on over.

We've been waiting for two years to see this evidence.

Whenever you're ready.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

More like Flip Mulvaney

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1552723060649734144?s=21&t=UtFmZhHkhimTwmo8n0M7Rw

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mulvaney has always been transparently that guy who will absolutely sell you out if it's in his interests.

What a fun development

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Probably why Trump has been making shouting noises about suing media outlets, he must be aware there is more and more people flipping on him.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

Mulvaney has always been transparently that guy who will absolutely sell you out if it's in his interests.

What a fun development

He's one of those people where all you have to do is see a picture of him and you know he's a weasel.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He's one of those people where all you have to do is see a picture of him and you know he's a weasel.

What was it the joker said about the accountant? "I know a squealer when I see one"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He does literally look like every single weaselly accountant type in movies and TV.

Fake Edit: also ha, I forgot he said "nobody cares about the deficit" in 2019. Accidentally saying something true for once.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mdemone posted:

What a fun development

I always got the impression that Mulvaney was a Scaramucci-level Trump dickrider who Trump used for all he was worth and snookered him into doing like 8 peoples' jobs at once because he was that much of a squish for Daddy and only realized too late that he'd been had and Trump in fact was never going to return to loyalty he'd diffused out of every pore for him.

Him scoring some payback for it all will be kind of fun to behold though, yes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mdemone posted:

What a fun development

Isn't he the one that's the spitting image of the nazi from The Raiders of the Lost Ark?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Randalor posted:

Isn't he the one that's the spitting image of the nazi from The Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Vhat do you tink, Doktor Jones?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
We're kinda getting the shape of the narrative, but we haven't seen a lot of documents.

Some people willing to sing now will have deliberately not kept records before, providing only testimony.

Some probably kept dox to protect themselves. These will come more from people that were against the plan.

Some will surely have been sloppy, incomplete, leaving fragments or better. Opsec is hard.

Some will have assumed there would never be an investigation or any subpoenas and just "yeah yeah yeahed" through suggestions for opsec (and maybe politely didn't take notes in certain meetings with certain persons).

Then there's the media record, broadcasts and timestamped tweets and docu teams rolling; the committee has curated a trove, and shown us an illustrative sample to flesh out the narrative.

Oh yeah, and snitches. There are always snitches.

We know the feds have a shirload of dox, yeah? Biden should be able to unlock and examine any "top secret" file on the white house server, so all the federal records are accessible (and their absence anywhere should read like the Nixon tapes 17 minutes or whatever). We know the feds raided maralago. We know shreds of paper have been recovered from the white house toilet (!!). We can figure anyone willing to testify before Congress is willing to talk to the feds, and each will have some portion of dox. The feds can put leverage on a number of people to make then cough up more. The fed may have access to nsa dox, guiding some of the parallel reconstruction. Anything gathered by the j6 select committee is at the Fed's fingertips.

This train is just getting going.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uglycat posted:

Biden should be able to unlock and examine any "top secret" file on the white house server,

Let's hope he remembers his passwords

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's hope he remembers his passwords

It's Joe. His password is Joe.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

It might legitimately be hunter2

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

That's ridiculous.

It's iloveicecream

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
beauwasbest

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I don't think it's a coincidence that testimony is ramping up after Bannon was convicted. These people don't want to get in trouble, self preservation is their primary motivation.

Contempt is worse than whatever Trump can do to them now. Might as well cooperate.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that testimony is ramping up after Bannon was convicted. These people don't want to get in trouble, self preservation is their primary motivation.

Contempt is worse than whatever Trump can do to them now. Might as well cooperate.

Contempt and enough people are talking that they don’t know what the committee knows so better try and get ahead of your name being front pages.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

CNN's been calling it the Big Lie more or less since he started lying about it. At the very least since after Jan 6th. Gosh golly, wonder why he's only decided to be mad about it now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kartikeya posted:

CNN's been calling it the Big Lie more or less since he started lying about it. At the very least since after Jan 6th. Gosh golly, wonder why he's only decided to be mad about it now.

Basically every media outlet that isn't Fox, OANN, Newmax or InfoWars has referred to it as the Big Lie since January 6th.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Uglycat posted:

So ianal... Mueller report was /not/ a vindication, and dod could decide to file charges based on Mueller's work (without triggering any double indemnity stuff), yeah?

Would the dod people piecing together the case - have access to the full, unredacted Mueller research? Just the parallel reconstruction - or would they have the og classified intel?

As far as I know, the statute of limitations for many of the obstruction incidents have already expired.

edit: didn't notice someone above already mentioned it. For something new, the committee has turned over 20 interview transcripts to DoJ.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 29, 2022

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/JudiciaryDems/status/1553170729574830082

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
no poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001