Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

They confirmed that they only have the one MSAM, and everyone on the surface is stuck for the time being

So my guess is the Chekov's gun of the DPRK probe is going to be they need to raid it for parts/the whole thing(?) to get back to Phoenix. I hope Molly's there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hasn't Sonya Walger been dropped from the cast though?

I suspect that if we were going to see her this season past those first two episodes, we'd have seen her during the episode were Karen went to see oldmate stoner husband.

Like, I'm not discounting future cameos from the character but I think the show's basically done with her now.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That episode was great. This show is great. Goons can't help but hate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This show always has such great music during the space/Mars scenes. Ever season has something wild happen in the last episode or two. Super excited to see how they close out this season.

Sivart13 posted:

Also, is Apple TV+ bad at streaming content? I'm on fiber but I got hella buffering / low quality video problems until I gave up and torrented it.

I’m shocked every time I read about issues with apple +. I’m sure part of it is because I use an Apple TV but stuff from Apple’s servers never have problems for me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hasn't Sonya Walger been dropped from the cast though?

I suspect that if we were going to see her this season past those first two episodes, we'd have seen her during the episode were Karen went to see oldmate stoner husband.

Like, I'm not discounting future cameos from the character but I think the show's basically done with her now.

I hope they let her come back for at least one more episode. They need to start closing out some of the og characters or make a fairly dramatic medical discovery soon.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Mars babies are the future of the show. The move towards increasing amounts of melodrama is just preparing us for next season's teen adventures at Olympus Mons High.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

esperantinc posted:

They confirmed that they only have the one MSAM, and everyone on the surface is stuck for the time being

Just digging the thing up is probably gonna be a bitch, nevermind whatever damage it took.

I don't remember, is the trip home still dependent on finding water for fuel?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Mars baby growing up in low gravity means they can't ever return to Earth. This is the start of the Expanse.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Laughing Zealot posted:

Just digging the thing up is probably gonna be a bitch, nevermind whatever damage it took.

I don't remember, is the trip home still dependent on finding water for fuel?

Seems pretty clear fixing the Soujorner is going to be their only option to get back into orbit at this point. I like the idea somebody had that they will need to cannibalize the NK probe to get the parts. I guess the other option might be they can fix the MASM but only enough for one trip and it won't fit everybody so some have to stay behind and become the first true Mars colonists.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I hope the North Koreans finish the job they started on the space station. Everybody's stranded on Mars. But probably they're going to show up towing the Russian ship and somehow that will save the day.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

xerxus posted:

Mars baby growing up in low gravity means they can't ever return to Earth. This is the start of the Expanse.

Couldn't they raise it on the Phoenix? I think they said that was .8G, which should be enough to have basic bone structure built. Better than Mars anyways. I'm still sure they're going to do a "You must abort" storyline though.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It would be kinda of nice for once to see someone on tv who finds themselves suddenly pregnant respond with, "gently caress no, I don't want this baby" or "sure, I might want kids someday, but right now is a terrible time". You always see either a "long and careful consideration of the issue" or no discussion at all and they go forward with no plan at all.

I know it would piss people off, but they're on loving Mars with nothing for maternity care. Nothing. Did they even bring folic acid?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 29, 2022

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The baby will be born, then after the next time skip it'll be Joel Kinnaman deaged to look 10 years old.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The baby will be born, then after the next time skip it'll be Joel Kinnaman deaged to look 10 years old.

Or they should copy how What We Do in the Shadows is doing Collin Robinson this season but with Kinnaman’s head.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I mentioned this as a joke a few weeks ago, but I kinda love that Kelly and Danny ending up together is an increasing possibility.

It'd just be the biggest train wreck. Drive right into the dramatic muck on this one show, I believe. :pray:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My guess based on nothing:

- The USSR will end up informing the US gov't about the pregnancy and they / Ellen will make the decision to abort without Kelly, who will be the last to learn about the pregnancy in another Sad Moment for Women.
- Kelly will decide to have the baby anyway, and Ed and Danny will go rogue of both nations to help her deliver it. Helios will officially wash its hands of them but Karen and Dev will secretly support them because Dev sees the possibilities of a political realignment around the mars baby or something.
- The peace baby will get born on Mars and both gov'ts will retroactively claim to support it, Ed will die on Mars, and Danny will end up being the godfather of the baby or something. His many gently caress-ups during the mission will largely die with Ed and he'll end up becoming a big hero somehow.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

when karen and jimmy started bonding over their hate of space I thought for a second she was gonna gently caress him too

I guess it's still a possibility lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope they do raid the North Korean probe, if only so we can get a scene of Kim Jong Il watching a TV showing screenshots of the capitalist pigdog Americans stealing his probe.

Randallteal posted:

My guess based on nothing:

- The USSR will end up informing the US gov't about the pregnancy and they / Ellen will make the decision to abort without Kelly, who will be the last to learn about the pregnancy in another Sad Moment for Women.
- Kelly will decide to have the baby anyway, and Ed and Danny will go rogue of both nations to help her deliver it. Helios will officially wash its hands of them but Karen and Dev will secretly support them because Dev sees the possibilities of a political realignment around the mars baby or something.
- The peace baby will get born on Mars and both gov'ts will retroactively claim to support it, Ed will die on Mars, and Danny will end up being the godfather of the baby or something. His many gently caress-ups during the mission will largely die with Ed and he'll end up becoming a big hero somehow.

And Jimmy will be on Fox News saying none of this stuff ever happened. The deep state paid off his brother to lie about it. The Mars mission was all done on a sound stage in Utah, and those "dead" astronauts are all living secret lives in Dubai.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I hope they do raid the North Korean probe, if only so we can get a scene of Kim Jong Il watching a TV showing screenshots of the capitalist pigdog Americans stealing his probe.

And Jimmy will be on Fox News saying none of this stuff ever happened. The deep state paid off his brother to lie about it. The Mars mission was all done on a sound stage in Utah, and those "dead" astronauts are all living secret lives in Dubai.

A Jimmy vs Danny plotline seems all but inevitable at this point tbh.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

The show weirdly succeeded at making me feel a little sympathy for Danny (one of the worst people to exist) when he explained how he felt responsible for Shane's death and he's just trying to do all this space stuff out of some weird obligation.
Probably would have been a more effective character arc if they showed this a season or two ago instead of putting it in a monologue here

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The baby plot is worse than any of the Stevens storyline crap. Completely unnecessary and makes Kelly (and NASA) look like total morons.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

bawfuls posted:

Probably would have been a more effective character arc if they showed this a season or two ago instead of putting it in a monologue here

It's also a weird forced trauma. I blame myself for getting my friend grounded so he got on a bike and was hit by a driver that fled the scene probably because they were drunk. You can apply that logic to every accidental death ever and for each have any number of people be crippled with guilt.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I liked the scene right around the end with Margot looking over the conference room where they all worked and smiling. She gets one last feel good moment before her dealings with the soviets finally comes back to bite her.

I'm gonna be miffed if president lady doesn't get outed this season, her whole plot centers around it and it's just a drag to wait for it to happen.

I wonder how Kelly's pregnancy is gonna be revealed to the rest of the crew. Hard not to imagine Ed and Poole utterly loose their poo poo, Ed mostly because he can't even beat the poo poo out of the other guy. Overall though I agree that it's a plot that's bound to be extremely cringe worthy.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

It's also a weird forced trauma. I blame myself for getting my friend grounded so he got on a bike and was hit by a driver that fled the scene probably because they were drunk. You can apply that logic to every accidental death ever and for each have any number of people be crippled with guilt.

Maybe I could have gone with it if they'd shown any hint of this up until this point, but it feels like this has come completely out of nowhere. They've done this completely the wrong way round, give us some reason to feel bad for Danny before making him the absolute worst. It's just been episode after episode of him being a complete shithead now they hit us with two monologues about how we should feel bad for him and it's far too little, too late.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be Red Mars from now on.

With soviet help and without the US government to overthrow it, they'll establish a communist utopia on the planet. The amazing advances enabled by this and the lack of profit motive will let them develop life-prolonging medicine, and the characters will all be active into their 100s. Ed's with us forever.

Episode was ok. Better then the previous one at least.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now I’m just wishing we had a KSR Mars Trilogy show instead

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

This is going to be Red Mars from now on.

With soviet help and without the US government to overthrow it, they'll establish a communist utopia on the planet. The amazing advances enabled by this and the lack of profit motive will let them develop life-prolonging medicine, and the characters will all be active into their 100s. Ed's with us forever.

Episode was ok. Better then the previous one at least.

Ed will keep fighting communism and say he won't take any commie age stopping drugs. But he keeps having "accidents" where he's knocked unconscious and they pump him full of the de-aging drugs while he's knocked out. He claims that he is de-aging simply because he's a manly man and has defeated time.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Solkanar512 posted:

It would be kinda of nice for once to see someone on tv who finds themselves suddenly pregnant respond with, "gently caress no, I don't want this baby" or "sure, I might want kids someday, but right now is a terrible time". You always see either a "long and careful consideration of the issue" or no discussion at all and they go forward with no plan at all.

I know it would piss people off, but they're on loving Mars with nothing for maternity care. Nothing. Did they even bring folic acid?

You're looking for Season 3, Episode 6 of Bojack Horseman where a main character does just that.

Also a non main character does this.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wasn't taking anything Danny said while they were buried at face value. I think he's probably pulling in some real feelings about Shane but in service of building his tragic-romantic self history and loving with Ed's head. I don't think he's going to turn into a psycho serial killer either though.

This has actually been my favorite season so far. The only storylines I'm not liking are the ones related to the Russians (Mainly Margo's). The Soviet perspective is so half-baked here compared to what you get in The Americans. That show's Soviet characters really felt like they belonged to the society they were from, and dedicating a small part of the show (the Soviet embassy) to just those characters where they were only answerable to their own rules made everything else about them more credible. I'm guessing using more actual former Soviet and Russian actors and hiring consultants also helped. With this show it feels like they got their Russian characters straight from central casting and told them to act as if faceless storm troopers were perpetually holding their family at gun point in the next room.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moscow will consider the baby to be a risk to the already-endangered mission and will demand that an abortion be administered. A portion of America will flip the gently caress out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

Moscow will consider the baby to be a risk to the already-endangered mission and will demand that an abortion be administered. A portion of America will flip the gently caress out.

In order to distract from that, Ellen will do a national address and say "I'm gay" while pushing the abort button, which works for both space maneuvers and space babies. Then her Vice President storms into the oval office, and everyone assumes he's pissed off because he hates gays. Then he says "Dag nab it, I'm a gay too!" Then she says "Don't say 'a gay', just say gay." Then they kiss for some reason, even though they aren't attracted to each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They bring Molly to NASA, Margo tearfully admitting that Molly was right and all their eggheads couldn't solve this situation they need a real jock fighter pilot ace to solve this also I've been feeding info to the Commies for a decade so please save us Molly. They then explain literally everything that has happened this season to her, and then wait for her words of jock wisdom.

Molly: :stare:
Everyone: ......
Molly: Jesus Christ, put Danielle in charge, she's actually competent!

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The big issue with the soviet characters in this season is that they're barely characters at all. The commander feels like the one who's been introduced the most as a "bad guy", the boyfriend character didn't get that much personification imo and the rest were/are redshirts.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the soviet commander's entire personality is getting mad when Danielle issues commands to cosmonauts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bawfuls posted:

the soviet commander's entire personality is getting mad when Danielle issues commands to cosmonauts

Explains why he was actually respectful to her this episode, there are less chances for her to do this now!

:smith:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Man this show completely poo poo the bed. Another bad episode made up of scenes of 2 characters talking in 5 minute segments with slow, bland dialogue that we mostly already knew.
They also cheapen out and don't show the explosion effects shot of the hab getting revealed from the martian dust.

At least I made my peace with it after feeling the total mental break last week of a show going from one of my favorites to bad Fear the Walking Dead trash.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

teacup posted:

I liked that episode? Goons too critical confirmed, idk how half the things you complain about are any worse than like, gordo in season 1 or 2 being allowed to do like anything

It's season 3, this is when TVIV is scheduled to start being mad at whatever show is going on. Don't worry about it.

Anyway I am surprised they only have one MSAM but I guess the plot requires it. If they can't dig it out, it's tiny enough you could probably just yeet another one at Mars on a Sea Dragon and get it there regardless of launch window.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

It's season 3, this is when TVIV is scheduled to start being mad at whatever show is going on. Don't worry about it.

Anyway I am surprised they only have one MSAM but I guess the plot requires it. If they can't dig it out, it's tiny enough you could probably just yeet another one at Mars on a Sea Dragon and get it there regardless of launch window.

You'd think they'd bee yeeting all sorts of poo poo at Mars just to keep them constantly supplied and in case bad poo poo happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NASA was definitely planning on living off their supplies but I wonder how well Helios will handle not being able to go up to their ship.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

muscles like this! posted:

NASA was definitely planning on living off their supplies but I wonder how well Helios will handle not being able to go up to their ship.

Down is easy, and they clearly have the capacity to drop things like the mobile habs and drill down, so smaller supplies shouldn’t be beyond their capability to transfer to the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyway I am surprised they only have one MSAM but I guess the plot requires it.
This is part of what's been obnoxious about this season. Many things that are dumb but the plot requires it.