Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

gail kim and awesome kong had 3 well received matches while the rest of that roster was working at sunglass hut. i know ronda is a bad person, but she changed wrestling forever before she ever had a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean Hogan and Inoki are on the list so Rousey fits right in as scum too!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I mean that too

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Also, from listening to Dave, Rousey was vital to the bidding war for TV rights for WWE between USA and Fox that led to their current guaranteed money. She's seen as a crossover star that people outside of the bubble have heard of and would be interested in seeing. I remember WWE more or less promising Fox that she'd be on every week (even when she was out trying for kids). They also promised Brock every week. So yeah, she was worth a shitload of money and Fox is dumb as hell.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

She's important to MMA but I don't buy the wrestling argument at all. She's very ok as a wrestler and lacks charisma, she didn't really bring any audience to WWE and hasn't had a lasting impact on wrestling. Like, part of it's WWE's fault and the fact that they're incapable of change. But WWE caring about women's wrestling is a pretty thin veneer instead of something they actually changed because of Rousey. I think Chyna had more impact on actual wrestling.

Edit: Ok, I do get the money angle of it. She is money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

She's important to MMA but I don't buy the wrestling argument at all. She's very ok as a wrestler and lacks charisma, she didn't really bring any audience to WWE and hasn't had a lasting impact on wrestling. Like, part of it's WWE's fault and the fact that they're incapable of change. But WWE caring about women's wrestling is a pretty thin veneer instead of something they actually changed because of Rousey. I think Chyna had more impact on actual wrestling.

Edit: Ok, I do get the money angle of it. She is money.

WWE presented women as T&A and of no importance for a decade and a half. The thing that got them to change was Rousey's run in UFC. Women went from being presented as a joke to being given main events, to the point where their hottest star was a woman (and another has enough leverage she can just walk out multiple times.) If anything there were more degrading angles right after Chyna than before. Gail Kim was brought up before and look how badly she was treated when she went back to WWE after the Kong feud.

It wasn't Stephanie McMahon's feminism or HHH's influence on the product they saw Rousey was a huge deal and realized they needed to actually try to change that presentation. That's why they gave the Horsewomen any kind of a shot, on top of having Flair's daughter.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

1glitch0 posted:

If we're crediting Rey for lucha coming to the united states I think Konnan would be in that conversation too.
Meltzer has repeatedly said that Rey Mysterio is the #1 influence on the current generation of wrestlers, from the Hardys to the Young Bucks to Danielson to even younger folks, plus the chain of all of those people being given a chance to be top level stars despite being neither tall nor jacked can be traced to Rey getting over big in WCW and later WWE.

His take is that while Ronda and Rey may not be as big or enduring as some other wrestlers (honestly arguable in Rey's case), them existing/getting over opened the industry up to an entirely new set of people being treated as potential main eventers, and that's why they're on the list. To use a suspect/inexact metaphor, Jackie Robinson was not the greatest player in the major leagues during his career, he wasn't even the greatest black player within a few years, but he opened the door to Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and Bob Gibson and Tony Gwynn and Frank Thomas and Nugenix and etc. etc. etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 30, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best evidence that the Rousey stuff is true is that it's infuriating because what influence over WWE isn't?

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
I think it depends on what you mean by "consequential" because that's not a word i normally use. I took it as - not your matches but what you did to change the overall picture of wrestling. Hogan sucks but wrestling isn't what it is today without him. I get Mysterio but I could see Liger there too. Because I feel like I remember people talking about him when they talked about Mysterio in wcw. 40 years of wrestling is a lot to cover too. I'm more America wrestling focused as my earlier ignorant comment showed. I could see Hayman over Inoki. It's not to say Inoki isn't influential. It's just I know him as the guy who points at his chin because of a whatever dude article I read in the 2000s. But I remember watching wgtw channel 48 and it would be hard for me to say that didn't lead to the attitude era.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rey's absolutely one of the most influential wrestlers, the entire 00s ROH/PWG indie scene would look completely different without him

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE also wouldn't have even bothered to at least half pushed Bryan to the top without Rey actually being proven as a Draw.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Where would CM Punk rate?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Punk's importance is that he proved wrestlers didn't need WWE, but I'm not sure you can say he proved that better than some other people (Cody). Depends on how you weigh "proved he didn't need WWE and then did not a lot for a few years" vs. "proved he didn't need WWE and created AEW within a few years"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
He didn't even really appreciably "prove" you didn't need WWE, that was Colt Cabana or the Young Bucks, who demonstrated/started the revolution in merchandising that would open up options for wrestlers to go full time without having to go to the fed.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

D.N. Nation posted:

Punk's importance is that he proved wrestlers didn't need WWE, but I'm not sure you can say he proved that better than some other people (Cody). Depends on how you weigh "proved he didn't need WWE and then did not a lot for a few years" vs. "proved he didn't need WWE and created AEW within a few years"
Using that metric of "proved he didn't need WWE (or wrestling in general)", I'd say that was proven by Jesse Ventura, the Rock, and Brock Lesnar (for his first UFC run and a slightly longer gap before coming back to wrestling) better than Punk.

His biggest 'influence' for good or ill was being arguably the first of the 21st century Indie Superstars to sign with WWE, and definitely the first "made their name in the indies" guy to be pushed to the top of the WWE card. You could argue that WWE would have never given Bryan, Steen, Generico, AJ, Moxley, or 80% of the NXT champion lineage a shot were it not for Punk.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

yeah it didn't come across in that reply but I really meant "Punk's importance is that he is one of many who proved wrestlers..."

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Rey's absolutely one of the most influential wrestlers, the entire 00s ROH/PWG indie scene would look completely different without him

This is fair but would you have to say the same thing for maybe Ultimo Dragon and/or Liger?

Maybe we should be talking about Gran Hamada. Almost not kidding there.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Thanlis posted:

This is fair but would you have to say the same thing for maybe Ultimo Dragon and/or Liger?

Maybe we should be talking about Gran Hamada. Almost not kidding there.

Rey Mysterio Jr in the mid-90s was on a completely different level than any of those guys, and more importantly was regularly featured on American TV more than any of them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Takuan posted:

Rey Mysterio Jr in the mid-90s was on a completely different level than any of those guys, and more importantly was regularly featured on American TV more than any of them.

Also neither Liger and Ultimo have ever held the top belt of a major company

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah, I buy that. And at the end of the day, while you don’t have the current Japanese juniors scene without Liger and Dragon, you do still have Rey Mysterio.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Crypto brain

https://twitter.com/YoshiJoshi_/status/1553445650263670791

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I don't even really buy the original point of the Dumpster match being "the turning point in the war" considering WCW proceeded to beat them in the ratings for a full year after it happened.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drakkel posted:

I don't even really buy the original point of the Dumpster match being "the turning point in the war" considering WCW proceeded to beat them in the ratings for a full year after it happened.

congrats on getting the joke

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Goldberg vs. DDP had heart, but the Dumpster Match had a dumpster

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
For the last 40 years, I'd argue that at least one of the Hamada/Sasuke/Ultimo trio deserves a spot on the list. Without them, you don't get most of the mainstream lucha libre in North America through the 90s-00s, and Juniors are basically not taken seriously in Japan at all.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/DonTonyD/status/1553551219171500032

I'm not so sure about this.

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i mean yeah it's a cool spot innit but i don't think it's somethign you need to get all philosophical about, was just a pretty sick bit is all. like yeah, it's a good, memorable spot, can't lie, but all that other stuff still matters. what a little weird dude.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Fed brain

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s about moments

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

"You're gonna remeber this spot forever."

I've forgotten it already.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't even know what it is

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston

It's getting better.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is that post off of four chain?

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

- Eddie Kingston
God bless THE BOARD

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

God people think Roman/Brock is like Okada/Tanahashi or Misawa/Kawada when it's not even an Cena/Orton

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
"The Roman/Brock feud is masterful and has a panache to it American feuds just can't achieve in the modern time." - pulmonarytoilet2

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Roman/Brock has had how many lovely matches and failed coronation and maybe 1-2 legit good matches but sure its an all timer feud

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lmao this was probably the best Brock vs Roman match and that's because of how spectacle the whole thing was. maybe the first one was good too, but thats also counting the seth cash in i dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Roman/Brock has had how many lovely matches and failed coronation and maybe 1-2 legit good matches but sure its an all timer feud

You could probably cobble a couple more good matches by editing the footage from bad matches together.