Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Frontal area and highway fuel economy are enemies, and trucks by default have a lot of frontal area.

Bloated, aggro, modern, bed-six-feet-off-the-ground, actually-pretty-lovely-for-work trucks have a lot of frontal area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PBCrunch posted:

Bloated, aggro, modern, bed-six-feet-off-the-ground, actually-pretty-lovely-for-work trucks have a lot of frontal area.

I'm 6'3 and I have a pretty basic non-lifted 4dr Tacoma and the bed height is more or less fine for me, but I can't imagine it being usable for anyone much shorter than I am. Especially reaching over the sides.

You'd have to be 7' tall to functionally reach into the back of a lifted Z71, but then again they usually aren't doing much work with those trucks--they're just signaling wealth at that point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A family friend growing up had a late-80s B-series, and it was just such a perfect little truck for rural "truck things occasionally necessary" poo poo. It would look hilarious next to a current Ranger, much less a modern F-150 or so.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Who cares? There's this weird poo poo I see when it comes to camping that, like, if you can afford not to be miserable while doing it, you're obviously doing it wrong or not being hardcore enough. Let people enjoy poo poo, I'd rather they do it with electricity rather than gas.

I'm just saying those areas like Bend, OR are filled with poseurs from Palo Alto/Seattle flexing their $200k campers. Even in SoCal people are complaining about them hogging up beach parking lots now. There are threads over in you know where dedicated to dumping on them.

I would like one too though. :ssh:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I saw two Earthroamers in Bend last year. Not a spec of dust on either. Another near Denver. Also spotless.
4wd Sprinter conversions are about as common as corollas. Every single one of them clean enough to eat off of.
Haven't ran across many in remote areas. Mostly old econolines and a t1n if anything.

had a friend that dumped on me for throwing money at this sorta poo poo. They recently rented a 4wd sprinter conversion. They now want one to play rei parkinglot adventurer for theirself.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I saw two Earthroamers in Bend last year. Not a spec of dust on either. Another near Denver. Also spotless.
4wd Sprinter conversions are about as common as corollas. Every single one of them clean enough to eat off of.
Haven't ran across many in remote areas. Mostly old econolines and a t1n if anything.

had a friend that dumped on me for throwing money at this sorta poo poo. They recently rented a 4wd sprinter conversion. They now want one to play rei parkinglot adventurer for theirself.

Whoa, one could dominate the entire Whole Foods or REI parking lot for only $800k to $2M :catstare:

or shoot some protected species right from the comfort of the dining room table.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 29, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

LeeMajors posted:

I'm 6'3 and I have a pretty basic non-lifted 4dr Tacoma and the bed height is more or less fine for me, but I can't imagine it being usable for anyone much shorter than I am. Especially reaching over the sides.

You'd have to be 7' tall to functionally reach into the back of a lifted Z71, but then again they usually aren't doing much work with those trucks--they're just signaling wealth at that point.

So far I have $1200 into lowering my F-150 trying to make it usable. You're absolutely right, from the factory almost all "half-tonne" trucks are too drat tall to use them as trucks.

I've also hit the limit of how far I can lower the drat thing without spending 4x as much due to front control arm angles, driveshaft length and rear frame to axle clearance.
It's still 50mm to tall right now but just :lolplant: if I'm going to spend another dime reengineering half the thing.

(Who am I kidding, this is Automotive Insanity, I probably will and throw full air suspension at it to lay frame when parked.)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

Whoa, one could dominate the entire Whole Foods or REI parking lot for only $800k to $2M :catstare:

or shoot some protected species right from the comfort of the dining room table.

Gettin' off the beaten path.

ngl i like the idea of one but lol nah they're too costly and big for the places i go.

McTinkerson posted:

(Who am I kidding, this is Automotive Insanity, I probably will and throw full air suspension at it to lay frame when parked.)

May wanna line your frame with something sacrificial.
new f150s/1500s are about the size of my ancient f350 with incredibly bad sightlines and access to the lovely tiny joke of a bed. its ridiculous.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

McTinkerson posted:

So far I have $1200 into lowering my F-150 trying to make it usable. You're absolutely right, from the factory almost all "half-tonne" trucks are too drat tall to use them as trucks.

I parked next to a 1st gen Tundra a few weeks back and was surprised to see how close the dimensions were. T100 too, although they never had a quad cab design.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The top of the towing mirrors on my functionally 3" lifted F-250 pass under the bottom of the mirrors on the current F-250. And it's still mind blowing parking next to an older ranger how much larger my truck is than that.

Also,

I would love a regular cab/usable box Maverick.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 29, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I saw a Maverick up close the other day. It felt smaller (except maybe in length) than most CUVs like the Escape it's based on.

It might not actually be smaller but it sure looked tiny.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We parked next to one in our Cherokee. It’s the same size (2014 Cherokee, the one with too many headlights)

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

LibCrusher posted:

It’s ridiculous to me that no one makes a 30mpg hybrid midsize 4wd truck. Why didn’t gm just slap a detuned bolt motor on the front axle of the new Colorado and put a hundred pounds of battery in the bed? Sounds like a no-brainer to me :/

Honda doesn’t even make a hybrid ridgeline :(

So this means the last hope for a new model midsized truck doing something innovative comes down to the loving new Taco doesn't it? :(
Well maybe there is still hope. The Tundra has a hybrid option. Maybe they apply the same to its little brother.
Probably not though. "Good enough. gently caress you. People will buy it anyway regardless of if we change anything"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The new Colorado makes me sad. The normal-sized conventional American pickup truck is now completely dead. All the midsizers now are one-size-fits-all body styles priced like a crossover. As the full size trucks got bigger and bigger you could still tell yourself "hey at least I could get a normal-sized Colorado, in whatever body style I like." But now you can't.

E: I thought the Ranger was only available as a 4-door but I was wrong. Don't post under the influence, kids

FBS fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 30, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FBS posted:

The new Colorado makes me sad. The normal-sized conventional American pickup truck is now completely dead. All the midsizers now are one-size-fits-all body styles priced like a crossover. As the full size trucks got bigger and bigger you could still tell yourself "hey at least I could get a normal-sized Colorado, in whatever body style I like." But now you can't.

It looks pretty good and I like that it’s a turbo 4 but holy loving poo poo it looks huge. Just chonky as all hell.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of the Maverick, a surprise Friday update on the their website reveals a Tremor package for 2023.

quote:

New 2023 Maverick® Tremor® Off-Road Package
This unbridled beast thrives off the beaten path. The new Maverick Tremor® Off-Road Package is equipped with Advanced 4WD with a Twin-Clutch Rear Drive gear plus, selectable drive modes to help provide a firm grip on any terrain. An off-road-tuned suspension with a higher (1-inch) ride height coupled with wide rugged tires and steel skid plates help to carry it over whatever obstacle nature throws in its path. A bold grille with unique Tremor badging and accents inside and out commands attention.

It's basically the Bronco Sport Badlands 4WD system.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m still holding my breath for an ST

e: and my wife would hate it, but maybe manual transmission? The transmission from the Focus RS? poo poo, the entire drivetrain of the RS.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 30, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I had an 05 Dodge Dakota 4x4 that was a great work truck but was an ok daily driver. It was not nearly as big and obnoxious as the Ram 1500.

One time we needed fill for a job site. I found a contractor who was excavating a foundation for some new construction down the street from our site. Drove over and had the excavator dump two bucket fulls of dirt right in the bed. Felt like a TV commercial.

Later when I had a kid the baby seat fit fine in the back of the quadcab.

In summary, pickup trucks are a land of contrasts. And cool.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 30, 2022

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Back in my day Tremor package meant bitchin' stereo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Back in my day Tremor package meant bitchin' stereo.

https://youtu.be/K_Eib49uPyc

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I know it's marketing but 'unbridled beast' for the Maverick is just...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don’t understand why the current Ranger exists. What is the differentiator between it and the F-150? That name should have been used for the Maverick, which seems far more fitting.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’m still holding my breath for an ST

e: and my wife would hate it, but maybe manual transmission? The transmission from the Focus RS? poo poo, the entire drivetrain of the RS.

ST may happen, but a manual never will.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

david_a posted:

I don’t understand why the current Ranger exists. What is the differentiator between it and the F-150? That name should have been used for the Maverick, which seems far more fitting.

It’s smaller than an F150

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Also the Ranger is the global version. Most markets don't offer the F-150 so a Ranger is their big truck. In the US they didn’t offer the Ranger for years before reluctantly bringing it back.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah, it's for literally the entire world outside of North America where F-150 and Maverick (or Bronco for that matter, a lot of Ranger buyers would switch if it was offered) don't exist. Also it comes with normal engines, not a dumb petrol thing. Edit: Not sure I'd even say it's our 'big truck', that's what Landcruisers and smaller cabover commercials are for.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 30, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I forget how many people ITT, if anyone, is on a realistic waitlist for the GR Corolla but this video popped up on my recommended feed today that I thought was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEy0om_6BIA

500HP out of a 1.6L 3cyl is pretty crazy. Wonder what sort of longevity that thing will have.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I forget how many people ITT, if anyone, is on a realistic waitlist for the GR Corolla but this video popped up on my recommended feed today that I thought was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEy0om_6BIA

500HP out of a 1.6L 3cyl is pretty crazy. Wonder what sort of longevity that thing will have.

Just what I'm looking for - an even more absurdly overboosted engine that definitely won't have cooling issues.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just got my name on CX-30 that will be at the dealer in less than 2 weeks. They have multiple that will be in during September that weren't claimed either. I want to say things might be getting better but the Honda dealers I've talked to are really hurting for allocations on Civic hatchbacks, as in they have no idea when they're getting more. I'm getting a coolant flush done on my S2000 tomorrow at the local one, I'll have to talk to them about the HR-V too. My girlfriend saw one when we were asking about Civic lead times and didn't hate it. The local dealers still all look like used car lots.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

fknlo posted:

Just got my name on CX-30 that will be at the dealer in less than 2 weeks. They have multiple that will be in during September that weren't claimed either. I want to say things might be getting better but the Honda dealers I've talked to are really hurting for allocations on Civic hatchbacks, as in they have no idea when they're getting more. I'm getting a coolant flush done on my S2000 tomorrow at the local one, I'll have to talk to them about the HR-V too. My girlfriend saw one when we were asking about Civic lead times and didn't hate it. The local dealers still all look like used car lots.
My fiancee has owned a CX-30 for a few months and we love it, with the sole exception of the HUD turning itself back on every time you start the car. Everything else is wonderful.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

fknlo posted:

Welcome to the club, did you get a Turbo or the NA?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

One of the local CDJR dealers has a lot full of Rams, and is throwing cash on the hood like it's 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

Welcome to the club, did you get a Turbo or the NA?

NA Select trim. While I'd theoretically love to get the turbo I don't want to spend that kind of coin on things my girlfriend really doesn't care about.

Fifty Three posted:

My fiancee has owned a CX-30 for a few months and we love it, with the sole exception of the HUD turning itself back on every time you start the car. Everything else is wonderful.

Glad to hear. With AWD standard its pricing is really good for the segment.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Regarding truck talk, I bought my ridgeline last week and have been camping with it all week and it's as big a truck as I'd ever need. It's actually ludicrous when I park next to an F150 and you look at the size comparison. This things gotten 26 average mpg over its first 1k miles, the interior is really nice, and it has features for days. Its a shame that the base model starts at 37k, if honda could get a sport down to over to 30ish they'd sell a ton more I'd think.

Although given the looks I get in it maybe the stigma of "not american" despite being made in America is too much to overcome for some people regardless.

A+++ would buy a ridgeline again.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 5, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

PneumonicBook posted:

Regarding truck talk, I bought my ridgeline last week and have been camping with it all week and it's as big a truck as I'd ever need. It's actually ludicrous when I park next to an F150 and you look at the size comparison. This things gotten 36 average mpg over its first 1k miles, the interior is really nice, and it has features for days. Its a shame that the base model starts at 37k, if honda could get a sport down to over to 30ish they'd sell a ton more I'd think.

Although given the looks I get in it maybe the stigma of "not american" despite being made in America is too much to overcome for some people regardless.

Hard agree. My dad has a Ridgeline and if it were available with a stick I absolutely would, too. So much good storage space (the area under the bed that opens like a trunk is great), and it doesn't feel like you should need a special license to drive one.

Not sure where you're at, but 100% on some people being more concerned with the brand name than the reality of where things are made when deciding what's "American". A guy bought a Nissan truck at the plant I used to work at in small-town Minnesota. When he was given poo poo for buying unamerican, he pointed out more of it was assembled in the US than a Ford or Chevy and got a resounding "yeah, but still" response.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blowjob Overtime posted:

When he was given poo poo for buying unamerican, he pointed out more of it was assembled in the US than a Ford or Chevy and got a resounding "yeah, but still" response.

My dad is also one of those, "it matters where the money goes at the top" kind of people.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The Ridgeline is indeed the most American made pick up you can buy.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2022-cars-com-american-made-index-which-cars-are-the-most-american-451057/

Unsurprising given it only exists for North America.

Edit:

Full Collapse posted:

My dad is also one of those, "it matters where the money goes at the top" kind of people.

https://www.alabamanewscenter.com/2019/08/28/study-honda-had-a-12-billion-economic-impact-on-alabama-in-2018/

Honda’s auto plant in Talladega County continues to be an economic engine for Alabama, revving the state’s economy by $12.1 billion in 2018 and creating 45,674 jobs in the state.

The Economic Development Partnership of Alabama released the figures Wednesday from a report it commissioned by the Center for Business and Economic Research at the University of Alabama. That report found Honda Manufacturing of Alabama (HMA) is responsible for 5.4% of the state’s total economic output.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 4, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

Yea I've had similar conversation with a woman at my last job who was devoutly "Buy American!" and I'd say how XYZ are way more American made than ABC but she'd just be like, "Yea well the engineers and designers live here and so is the company HQ" which, alright I guess :shrug:

But as someone who is particular about what he drives, gently caress that I will buy what has the features/performance I care about :v: If Buick made a Regal TourX GS I'd buy that but they don't so I lust for an F31 instead

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Regarding truck talk, I bought my ridgeline last week and have been camping with it all week and it's as big a truck as I'd ever need. It's actually ludicrous when I park next to an F150 and you look at the size comparison. This things gotten 36 average mpg over its first 1k miles, the interior is really nice, and it has features for days. Its a shame that the base model starts at 37k, if honda could get a sport down to over to 30ish they'd sell a ton more I'd think.

typo? you're getting 12mpg over the rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The "buy American" stuff is mostly about racism, not supporting American workers.