Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive only seem him in Apostle and a little bit of Legion but he was great in those. Looking at his wikipedia he's been in a lot of cool stuff and I think with a big budget movie like that it hits the sweet spot of having someone new whose not in everything like the Rock or Jason Statham but experienced enough in acting to not seem awkward or out of place on a big budget movie. He's not my first choice but I have no problem with it either, he's definitely a good actor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Should go the classic Godzilla route and reuse main actors in completely unrelated roles in each movie

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Always good to see The Big G, but Kong again is a fairly boring idea to me. Seems like they just want to prop up their classic IP. But hopefully it's still a good time.

Preferably, just a monster mash that happens to feature both characters. We still need Toho to get back in the G business.

At least throw Gamera in there if we're going ham.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should go the Rocky 3 route where Godzilla has to train under his former rival to defeat the new baddy.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Guest 2 and Godzilla vs Kong 2 should be one and the same movie.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Unironical: since the clinate being hosed plays a pretty big role in these films, have them team up to fight Hedorah. That's a kaiju which would be scary as poo poo if done well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Dan Stevens kick rear end don’t be a goober

yeah so does Alexander Skarsgard, now tell me how much you remember about his character from Godzilla vs Kong

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm trying to figure out why they'll be fighting again.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Maybe they won't. It's being called Godzilla vs. Kong 2 online but I think that's in absence of an actual announced title.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Actual title is GvK: Electric Kongaloo and it's a hint that we're getting Mecha-Kong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mechanikong showing up would be great.

I'd like them to address just how hosed places get after Kaiju attacks. Washington and Boston were smoking craters after KOTM but that barely made a dent on the story of GVK.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

yeah so does Alexander Skarsgard, now tell me how much you remember about his character from Godzilla vs Kong

He was kind of scared of a lot of things and a big coward and his brother got crushed by the hollow earth.

But then he decided to not be a coward and save the day. It was fine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

I completely forgot he was in the movie until I read this. Even now I can only dimly recall him

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Arc Hammer posted:

Mechanikong showing up would be great.

I'd like them to address just how hosed places get after Kaiju attacks. Washington and Boston were smoking craters after KOTM but that barely made a dent on the story of GVK.

Well, now there's a giant tube straight to the center of the earth (which is full of monsters) right in the middle of Hong Kong

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Who is Dan Steven’s?

Well, maybe if he shows up like this it can’t be all bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Guest is an all timer

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vintersorg posted:

Who is Dan Steven’s?

a guy who's really good at playing the overlap of "leading man" and "charming sociopath"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a guy who's really good at playing the overlap of "leading man" and "charming sociopath"

cast him as Gamera

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

brocked posted:

Well, now there's a giant tube straight to the center of the earth (which is full of monsters) right in the middle of Hong Kong

Also it didnt seem like anyone left hong kong before G showed up even though he cant be that fast and they would have had some warning. the atomic breath destroyed the whole city and then mecha shows up.

the series would be better if they leaned into how destroyed everything is. just the amount of death from the first kong v godzilla fight is nutso. that many ships going down would be thousands dead. everyone on the tanker that spun would have been blended up on the hulls. ghidorah and rodan destroyed whole cities at once. the food systems would be so destroyed the planet would be in total chaos. not just having kaiju wandering around.

it would be funny too to show ones that we domesticate. like having mammoth chained up to farm equipment just fertilizing huge swaths of land

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

An odd query.

I'm watching Light & Magic, which is a documentary series about ILM on Disney +. And at 41:39 of episode 2 there's a bit of what appears to be test footage from the trench run of Star Wars which stops at what seems to be a tiny Mechagodzilla who shoots at the camera. I was pretty surprised cause that footage, if indeed legit test footage, could have only been shot in 1976, only a couple of years after Mechagodzilla's first appearance so if it's a toy, does anyone recognise it?

Because if it's not a toy - and it does look more detailed than a toy - that means the artists at ILM were made a little model Mechagodzilla for whatever reason. I find that delightful.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I had no idea there was a Criterion restoration of Rodan, watching it now and it's great! I'd only previously seen it dubbed on VHS. I don't remember it being so graphic. Also it's a movie from 1956 with the coal industry guys laughing at the idea of global warming so that's something.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 3, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did they actually do a restoration themselves? I just knew they had it on their channel.

Would be nice to see that get a disc release, War of the Gargantuas too. (And who the hell owns US rights to Frankenstein Conquers the World these days, I've got a DVD but would be nice to see that in the wild.)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did they actually do a restoration themselves? I just knew they had it on their channel.

Would be nice to see that get a disc release, War of the Gargantuas too. (And who the hell owns US rights to Frankenstein Conquers the World these days, I've got a DVD but would be nice to see that in the wild.)

I'm not sure on the details but the only logos in front of it were Criterion and Janus so I assumed so. It looks awesome, I love the gross bugs

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I gave Skull Island a fresh watch and, man, what a fun entertaining movie.

It straddles the line between corny, serious, over the top, drama and action so incredibly well and that's no easy task. I don't know how they pulled it off. John C Reilly's character could so easily have been ridiculous enough to derail the whole thing just by himself, the Vietnam allegories could easily have been too heavy handed and any of the cliched, rather one dimensional characters in the supporting cast might have been eye rolling and a total drag but somehow this film really finds a sweet spot that makes it all click and it's a total delight for me. The effects and the cinematography are absolutely fantastic and John Goodman and Sam Jackson manage to play it just right.

It's like the Jurassic sequels only...well...good. I love this loving movie.

I looked up the director and have never heard of him nor seen any of his other stuff but he gets a lot of credit for me here making this thing work as well as it did.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, he's in Death Stranding and is homies with Hideo Kojima. Hope that MGS movie happens and is fun.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I gave Skull Island a fresh watch and, man, what a fun entertaining movie.

It's amazing that despite it being so different in tone, I have no problem letting it exist in my G2014 universe, whereas the next two movies don't feel remotely connected.

It still pisses me off when I think about what we could have got if the same approach had been taken with Godzilla that Gareth Edwards did. The "mistakes" that he made (not enough action, dull humans) could have been rectified without turning the movies into quippy, silly, kaiju-slugfests. Which again makes Skull Island all the more remarkable as it pushes that boundary hard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’ve said this before, but Rampage is the solid middle-ground between Godzilla and Skull Island.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rampage was fine but it suffers a lot from being a Rock vehicle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only good Rock movie post rundown is Jumanji 2. I actually liked him playing a neurotic teenager. But he really whiffed it playing Danny devito imo. 3rd was still pretty solid but didn’t quite hit the highs of the first one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

The only good Rock movie post rundown is Jumanji 2. I actually liked him playing a neurotic teenager. But he really whiffed it playing Danny devito imo. 3rd was still pretty solid but didn’t quite hit the highs of the first one.

Pain & Gain isn’t really a Rock movie but he’s good in that playing… a moronic meathead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I wouldn’t count pain and gain as a rock movie even tho he’s in it. He’s great in it and it’s a great movie yeah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Southland Tales was the last time he took any risks as an actor and it’s his best performance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Have you guys seen Monsters? It was what made me fully confident in what G’14 was gonna be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2m5wgh2HbI

I’m in full agreement with Mr Funny Pants.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love monsters and Godzilla 2014. But the rest of the world didn’t and were very very loud about it. And because of that and the studios need to listen to every idiot things changed

It doesn’t bother me because I still love the whole monster verse. But Godzilla 14 is my favorite of the lot.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I love monsters and Godzilla 2014. But the rest of the world didn’t and were very very loud about it. And because of that and the studios need to listen to every idiot things changed

It doesn’t bother me because I still love the whole monster verse. But Godzilla 14 is my favorite of the lot.

Honestly? Same. I love Skull Island and it’s a very close second, but G14 has such a particular tone and vibe that none of the other Monsterverse movies ever replicated.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It almost feels like a procedural, G14. It's quite methodical in the way it plays out. Also, it has the best direction of any of the monsterverse films imo. Godzilla and The MUTOs feel truly huge and terrifying. That Golden Gate sequence is an all timer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like G14 but think Monsters is boring.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Monsters is solid, but it's very much 'indie drama with some CGI'.

Monsters: Dark Continent is insanely good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monsters is boring but the monster stuff at the end is really great. Monsters: Dark Continent, on the other hand, is an irredeemable piece of poo poo top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I respect making a monster movie without having the budget to show monsters. This isnt ironic, i do think its a good drama