Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Wouldn't cheap fusion just mean burn more everything but with higher profits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

look nuclear power was destined to fail, petrol interests aside, because people can handle a little doom every day but can't handle a lot of doom every once in a while

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

good news. capital will destroy itself but it's looking extremely likely that it will take everything else down with it

how likely is that

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

biosphere thread, you can just say "I'm scared that" when that's what you mean, instead of couching your feelings in quasi-statistical language. drunkenly groping probability theory doesn't make you sound smart.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Wouldn't cheap fusion just mean burn more everything but with higher profits?

the idea is that you get infinite energy. at least on the scales we care about it is infinite. we're gonna see it as infinite heat, you load up your fusion machine with low Z atoms and it shoots them into your fusion sphere when you flip a switch and the whole thing gets super loving hot, and then you boil some water with that and make electricity. it needs to take less electricity to capture the low Z atoms, and the method in which we capture them needs to have a fairly deep prevalence (water), but then you just do that a bunch. first you figure out how to reproduce your free electricity machine using only electricity and resources with large wells (big if), and then you make everything run on electricity and build that machine everywhere. if you need more electricity you build another one. hopefully you use some of that energy to find even more sustainable ways to get low Z elements and resources to build more machines, like from the infinite uncaring universe. also to help people be happy and not destroy the planet and promote life.

but lol okay folks yeah even inventing fusion isn't gonna save us

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

if humanity developed free, magical, zero direct downsides infinite energy under capitalism, Capital would use it to generate heat until it reached the thermal capacity of Earth. this literal energy magic would buy us roughly two centuries worth of time.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Zodium posted:

biosphere thread, you can just say "I'm scared that" when that's what you mean, instead of couching your feelings in quasi-statistical language. drunkenly groping probability theory doesn't make you sound smart.

lol you're so triggered by your last online argument you can't handle the word likely being used in a joke about our impending doom.

*drunkenly gropes probability theory to exclaim it's probably going to be hot tomorrow*

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Oh that sounds pretty cool. Maybe we could finally make ridiculous megastructures and stuff with all that extra juice power

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

bibles will survive and the cycle will start again....

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Oh that sounds pretty cool. Maybe we could finally make ridiculous megastructures and stuff with all that extra juice power

build a head the size of mount Everest with the Ozymandias phrase nearby so the distant future thinks i really built the whole thing

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Literally head in the clouds

Just a planet covered in giant heads

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zodium posted:

the word “likely” has been around for a really long time. you’re inventing a voice of labor in your head that doesn’t exist.

if you’re a data janitor maybe you see everything in terms of maximum likelihood estimation but most people don’t.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol you're so triggered by your last online argument you can't handle the word likely being used in a joke about our impending doom.

*drunkenly gropes probability theory to exclaim it's probably going to be hot tomorrow*

I'm afraid my triggering about statistics goes much deeper than that exchange. :3:

it's okay to be scared of Capital killing the biosphere. that's a totally reasonable thing to be afraid of. you don't have to channel the feelings you have reading about it into a sciencey form.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
likr in the front, probability in the rear

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Zodium posted:

you don't have to channel the feelings you have reading about it into a sciencey form.

actually you can and it owns

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Zodium posted:

you don't have to channel the feelings you have reading about it into a sciencey form.

That's not what is happening when lay people use words such as "likely " or "probably ". I assume English isn't your first language, or you are around technical jargon most of the time at your job and not often exposed to colloquial conversations?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Literally head in the clouds

Just a planet covered in giant heads

i'm gonna build mine like poo poo so they also eventually realize i faked it lol

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Stereotype posted:

i'm gonna build mine like poo poo so they also eventually realize i faked it lol

I can die happy knowing i used my fusion stimulus check to punk the Martians

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Zodium posted:

I'm afraid my triggering about statistics goes much deeper than that exchange. :3:

it's o.k.. it's 100% likely people saying valid when what they mean is legitimate bugs me

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Laterite posted:

likr in the front, probability in the rear

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zodium posted:

if humanity developed free, magical, zero direct downsides infinite energy under capitalism, Capital would use it to generate heat until it reached the thermal capacity of Earth. this literal energy magic would buy us roughly two centuries worth of time.

This would make an awesome sci-fi premise

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Isostatic rebound gets me horny for a whopper.
isostatic what

update: oh no

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

This seems total fine for the "omg we can totally invent our way out of it" crowd

https://twitter.com/business/status/1552700929119584256?s=20&t=EV3EY6UOeE-NMHPTqBocMg
the chalcolithic age is finally over

an egg has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Jul 30, 2022

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Basic Poster posted:

Harvested a small fraction of wild plants growing on my plot today. Saw many fun bugs and several happy couples of monarchs.

Feverfew, pineapple chamomile, lavender, oregano, bay, comfrey, mullien, St. John's Wort

an egg has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Jul 30, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1553149351358132224?t=8XFpRtKJ9Y5EwyWGV3kgCg&s=19

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol gently caress off you thin-skinned millionaire. like a prettier elon musk, just need to put out a press release because the poors might be saying something mean

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's loaned out? So not only does it spend more time in the air but she makes money off it too

Literally worse than if she had exclusive use of it and it sat parked at the airport most of the time :psyduck:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Your private plane doesn't emit any carbon if you leave it on the ground, you gigantic piece of poo poo

Love to imagine the brain genius who thought "yeah, claiming that we're just loaning it to other people makes this better somehow"

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Your private plane doesn't emit any carbon if you leave it on the ground, you gigantic piece of poo poo

Love to imagine the brain genius who thought "yeah, claiming that we're just loaning it to other people makes this better somehow"

So you want pilots to lose their jobs??? Smdh

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

starting to think that rich people were a bad idea

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Microplastics posted:

This would make an awesome sci-fi premise

A few years ago in this thread someone posted a paper about how if you just continue the exponential growth of capitalism through the end of the 21st century you end up cooking us all to death just from waste heat from industrial processes, dont even need emissions. I might go looking for that paper later today.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

has anyone considered making the waste product of industrial processes like colder? idk like maybe Mr freeze instead

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
oh, we radiate heat into space all the drat time

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

an egg posted:

the massive redistribution of weight caused by solid icebergs turning into liquid water is causing unprecedented movements in the tectonic plates. i wonder what the removal of topsoil has done to them. when you think about that many metres deep, spread out over that much land, plus the trees etc that were growing in it, that's an unimaginable amount of weight removed and transformed into big macs
?

That's not due to removed topsoil, that's the aquifer collapsing permanently. When they pump out the water the caves it used to be in are too unstable and crush down. Even if you stopped pumping water and evacuated the entire region it will never come back. Maybe there's more permiable formations that will be uplifted eventually and dissolution will create a new pool but that's on a geologic timescale.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

yes, this is the only definition of fusion

lol they said the exact same thing about fission.

But sure, this time the massive hyper complex power plant that no one has ever built before will be too cheap to meter because technology will save us.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Whether we can make fusion work is irrelevant because capitalism won't let it be adopted on a wide scale. There's not enough ongoing costs with a fusion reactor for people to extract rents in the same way they can with our current energy system.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

maybe not in the us, but if magic fusion technology could save us, it seems that places that do infrastructure spending like china would be pushing for it internally

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They are. I believe they're part of every international fusion project and they're separately heavily invested in all the associated technologies needed for it. You raise a good point, I think they still see the materials science issues as potentially insurmountable in the near to mid term to build a utility scale plant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

Whether we can make fusion work is irrelevant because capitalism won't let it be adopted on a wide scale. There's not enough ongoing costs with a fusion reactor for people to extract rents in the same way they can with our current energy system.

Oh ye of little faith, between neutron embrittlement, construction costs, grid operation requirements, and electricity sales there is plenty of ways to extract rents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not on nearly the same scale as oil, gas or coal by a longshot.