Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I say just copy most modern FPS shooters and have an infinitely re-usable parachute. You have to equip it and it uses a body slot but once you do as long as you remember to pull it when dropping you don't have to worry about it.
Maybe make it similar to the gas mask/rad suit/jetpack, where it consumes fabrics over usage or something, if it needs to have a cost? But honestly with the way it's mostly obsolete with the jetpack, it's probably fine to be reusable.

The consumable equipment stuff all fits into the game a bit awkwardly since you can't automate it's creation, but then again, if you could, it might be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

This would kinda suck though, because now you have two stacks of items to juggle. Parachutes are hardly worth having 1 stack of.

Agreed for older versions of the game when they used the same slot as the boots, jetpack, hoverpack, whatever else used the body slot.

Now that you can also have the boots equipped with the parachutes (I think?), they might be handy for early-game exploration before you get the jetpack. Just remember you actually have one fewer than it shows in your inventory (also, when you fall don't panick and mash the deploy button over and over, because you'll just deploy and then cancel and deploy and cancel the parachute, until you run out and fall to your death anyway).

Unrelated, for anyone wanting to try out hypertube cannons but don't want to screw with hooking up that much power or figuring out the layout, hypertubes conserve the momentum you have when you enter the tube and ALSO the momentum you gain/lose while in it. For example, if you go through the entrance at speed, you'll be travelling through the tube faster. If you build a tall vertical tube with the entrance at the top and the exit pointing straight at the ground, odds are good that it'll just shoot you real hard into the ground and kill you, because your falling speed will be added to the tube speed. So if you build a tall vertical tube with an entrace at the top, and a little arc at the bottom that'll shoot you up in the air, congratulations you've made a baby tube cannon. It won't have the range of the actual setups but if you don't have far to go (or just want to test your landing technique) its fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Make the parachute infinite, add a grappling hook and let me Just Cause 2 all over the map.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Make the parachute infinite, add a grappling hook and let me Just Cause 2 all over the map.

:hellyeah: also wingsuit (JC3?)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

While it'd be awesome I don't think they're gonna go that nuts. They should, but I doubt it. I do think that part of the hoverpack/jetpack limitations are to provide a case for upgrading them in later milestones. Building without the hoverpack sucks and the range for the hoverpack sucks and having to switch for the jetpack sucks... so yeah just basically add the powersuit mod in mainline only maybe not quite so cheat-ey.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know why the hover pack can’t just be the jet pack when away from power lines

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
toggle for falling damage please

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
They should stop trying to be cute and throw in a handglider, as god intended

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I just want slide jumps to increase speed like, 25% more than it already does.

Also grappling hooks.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

neato burrito posted:

As somebody who slide jumps everywhere out of habit I agree, I think if it gave a slightly greater benefit and also if sliding in general conserved momentum, they could squeeze quite a bit more fun out of basic movement

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

neato burrito posted:

Slide-jump with blade runners now increases your speed. I'm pretty sure back in U3 & U4 it didn't go faster, just popped you up into the air higher.

But I don't know exactly, it's been a while since I've worn the bouncy shoes.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Satisfactory: Warframe Edition

Because man, if you guys like slide jumping...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
mobility is one of the biggest time syncs in the game.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

As somebody who slide jumps everywhere out of habit I agree, I think if it gave a slightly greater benefit and also if sliding in general conserved momentum, they could squeeze quite a bit more fun out of basic movement
Let us ski on downslopes like in Tribes.

Also add an lower tech off-road exploration vehicle just for personal mobility, like an ATV.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Klyith posted:

Slide-jump with blade runners now increases your speed. I'm pretty sure back in U3 & U4 it didn't go faster, just popped you up into the air higher.

But I don't know exactly, it's been a while since I've worn the bouncy shoes.

Huh. I know they used to increase your base speed, didn't know about slide jumping. I don't think I've used the slide ability beyond my first few minutes/hours playing the game. I remember being a bit sad when I ditched the blade runners for the jetpack, since I lost so much speed even though I gained more vertical movement. Being able to equip both now is GLORIOUS.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

Also add an lower tech off-road exploration vehicle just for personal mobility, like an ATV.

Isn't that what the Explorer is?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Easily the biggest thing I've done yet, and I'm kind of looking forward to smaller (and better looking) factories for the higher tier stuff, but I finished it.

1830/m Iron Rods
4840/m Screws
720/m Iron Plates
120/m Reinforced Iron Plates
3930/m Wire
1560/m Cable
650/m Copper Sheet
1020/m Steel Pipe
300/m Steel Beam
60/m Encased Industrial Beam (alternate recipe with pipes)
7 Train Stations
Fed by three closed loop rail lines producing ingots/concrete remotely (except for iron, which is smelted on-site) and all hooked up to a single on/off switch.

All part of Project Complete Phase 4 in 24 Hours... which ironically will probably go on another month or so... but it's done.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

How's the stability of the Update 6 experimental branch? I've kinda got the itch to play again and I'm deciding whether or not to wait for the general release.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SettingSun posted:

How's the stability of the Update 6 experimental branch? I've kinda got the itch to play again and I'm deciding whether or not to wait for the general release.

It's pretty good. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but I didn't have any major issues when I was playing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Seems just as stable as U5 to me, but I only play with one mod so YMMV. I've read about some hilariously buggy stuff but that seems largely aimed at the dedicated server/multiplayer side that I don't really engage with.

Edit: Did they doink with the hard drive locations in U6? I'm near one, in an area way off in the map where I've never been, and there's all the usual wreckage except A) no pod to open and B) no scattered generic items. Just the wreckage is there. The scanner shows there's nothing there so I figured it was the devs being mean with decoys, but it also shows up on the wiki interactive map. I had this happen once before and thought I was going mad.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 30, 2022

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mailer posted:

You joke, but one playthrough of Satisfactory I followed up with Monster Hunter, because I was so annoyed with the tedious hostile fauna encounters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They should put in Titanfall 2 movement mechanics. And mechs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mailer posted:

Edit: Did they doink with the hard drive locations in U6? I'm near one, in an area way off in the map where I've never been, and there's all the usual wreckage except A) no pod to open and B) no scattered generic items. Just the wreckage is there. The scanner shows there's nothing there so I figured it was the devs being mean with decoys, but it also shows up on the wiki interactive map. I had this happen once before and thought I was going mad.

There were a few that went missing with U6 but I thought they quickly patched them back in. Some of the crash sites have a bunch of wreckage on the ground with the pod high above it, maybe it's one of those.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are also a few HDs where the pod is kinda hidden, and one that's quite hidden and you have to solve the little mystery.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

there absolutely needs to be a scissor lift vehicle in this game. It adds to vertical traversal which is important in this game, and speaking from experience, scissor lifts are incredibly fun

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Stilt wheels for the factory cart!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't that what the Explorer is?
The Explorer requires Heavy Modular Frames which are unlocked at Tier 4 so I wouldn't call it early game.

I guess the blade runners are meant as the early game mobility option.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Collateral Damage posted:

The Explorer requires Heavy Modular Frames which are unlocked at Tier 4 so I wouldn't call it early game.

I guess the blade runners are meant as the early game mobility option.

Regular tractor? It's as fast as blade runners on the flat, and gets you additional storage (at a time when personal storage is limited).

But really the early game mobility option is "you don't need long distance mobility yet." Tier 1-4 resources are iron, copper, and coal: for coal you have to make babby's first expedition to the edge of your biome. The explorer becomes available at the start of the mid-game, and that's when you first need to make serious trips.

On subsequent games where you know how everything works, the answer is "use foreknowledge to make your life easier". For example, start in the advanced areas and put your main base in a spot where you have all the resources, including quartz and caterium.

(OTOH an ATV would be fun as like a Shop unlock or something -- the offroad equivalent of the cart.)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Once I finished my setup and clear phase 4 I'm taking a long break from the game until phase 5/1.0/whatever, at which point I'm starting over. First thing will be to have literally everything that makes sense modular and utilizing vehicles in prep for when trains launch. I still don't have more than my tiny aluminum ingot farm feeding a paltry 180/m, but god bless that tractor which has made tens of thousands of trips slowly up a 4m incline to bring it to me. Whether I wait until the new game to start my super cool fortress home base or do it in this game, Ol Betsy is going to be bronzed and retired to a prominent place.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mailer posted:

I'd rather play Warframe: Satisfactory Edition. A single-unit orbiter foundry is boring.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A teleported that takes obscene amounts of energy would work imho

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

euphronius posted:

A teleported that takes obscene amounts of energy would work imho

Might be getting those eventually. There were some datamined buildings people found a long time ago which hinted at the possibility of teleporting items from place to place, and they've given noncommittal answers in previous dev streams when asked if they'll be adding teleporters for the player to use. Make it cost something like 5GW per teleporter and it would be "balanced" imo. Until then hypertube cannons already make long distances mostly irrelevant even if they're more a side effect of the physics system than an intended way to play.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Make it cost something like 5GW per teleporter and it would be "balanced" imo. Until then hypertube cannons already make long distances mostly irrelevant even if they're more a side effect of the physics system than an intended way to play.

Not really a fan of a huge power tax. Meaningless if you have mass recycled nuclear (ie, you've beaten the game) and prohibitively expensive before then pretty much puts it in a tier you'll never actually use outside of postgame vanity building. While that's a valid thing to do having a convenience unlocked after 1000 hours or whatever is pretty meh.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

It would give the giant capacitors/batteries a use though. Right now they are really just good for kickstarting your factory after a brownout or maybe catching spikes when you are riding on the edge of your electrical capacity.

Edit: I have not built nuclear stuff or later, maybe the particle accelerators are spikey and make use of them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, particle accelerators have massively varying power draw - if you've built enough power capacity to handle them at max then you have more than you need 90% of the time.

I think the popularity of hypertube cannons is a good guide for how to balance teleporters. I assume the devs are going to put something like this in the game, since they've neither fixed this unintentional behaviour from the hypertubes nor make it an explicit part of their design, which fits if it's being kept around as a substitute for something that hasn't been implemented yet. Teleporters aren't going to get on well with a huge power draw or advanced building materials when there's already a popular early-mid-game way to do it for virtually free that's just unfriendly to terrain loading.

Unless we're talking about teleporting for logistics, ie running a belt through it. That I could see being an endgame thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Is everyone basically running like... 40+ train stations? I thought Rotors and Stators would be a safe combination factory, and a small one at that, but it just can't handle the belt speed limitation.

Edit: To clarify, with a Make All Iron/Copper/Steel Here factory in the northeast I expected train-based throughput delays. Instead it's that I just can't get stuff out of the station and into the bins fast enough. Feels like you need a dedicated feed freight station for every single drop which pretty much shuts out any sort of combined-station factory. I guess you could make one building but you'd need a conga line of like 2-4 stations for every part you're making plus the output station.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 1, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’m what some would call a casual and when I sent up the last elevator parts I had maybe 6 dedicated single train lines.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

Instead it's that I just can't get stuff out of the station and into the bins fast enough.

So a thing with train platforms is that they halt I/O while* loading or unloading a train car. If you have multiple trains hitting a station at rapid intervals, you problem is probably that the platform is frozen 90% of the time.

This may be solvable with your current design as-is, but depends on what your items/min requirements are. You can use the stop settings, or just add a minute of delay at the other station. OTOH if you have a station that's a combined ingot drop-off where you receive iron + copper + steel, and you have 3 different small trains trying to deliver there, you probably need a re-think. You could do multiple stations, or change to bigger trains that carry multiple types of ingot. Like a 6-car train with 2 cars of each ingot, that goes to all three ingot producing locations.

If you want to do ingots on trains you are doing high-volume transport. That means you're gonna have big trains and big stations, it's kinda unavoidable. And it's a whole new zone of tricky things to calculate & manage.

*Further details on how the freight platforms work: the I/O freeze happens while the animation is playing, and takes 25 seconds. So if you have a train that takes 3 minutes to do a complete route, you have 2:30 to move up to 32 stacks. Only the platforms actively doing the load/unload will freeze. IE if you have a 6-car train docking at a 6-platform station and only one of the platforms is interacting with the train, the other 5 will keep feeding belts.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mailer posted:

Is everyone basically running like... 40+ train stations? I thought Rotors and Stators would be a safe combination factory, and a small one at that, but it just can't handle the belt speed limitation.

Edit: To clarify, with a Make All Iron/Copper/Steel Here factory in the northeast I expected train-based throughput delays. Instead it's that I just can't get stuff out of the station and into the bins fast enough. Feels like you need a dedicated feed freight station for every single drop which pretty much shuts out any sort of combined-station factory. I guess you could make one building but you'd need a conga line of like 2-4 stations for every part you're making plus the output station.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but how many rotors/stators are you producing? Or do you mean you mean you want to train in the raw materials to a stator/rotor factory? The sheer quantity of ingots and some lower level materials you’ll need for pretty much anything beyond the trivial make them… not ideal for transport by train. Trains should ideally be used to transport final(ish) products, i.e. set up your rotor/stator factory close to the input materials and then use trains to move rotor/stators around instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The sheer quantity of ingots and some lower level materials you’ll need for pretty much anything beyond the trivial make them… not ideal for transport by train. Trains should ideally be used to transport final(ish) products

Hard disagree -- trains can transport a gently caress-ton of stuff, you just have to scale your trains appropriately to the quantity of stuff. OP's problem is probably because they're using small trains and 1 small station for a big train job.

Drones are the one that's better for mid- & high-level products. You can skip trains entirely by doing the local production close to raw materials as you describe, then doing drone transport of stuff to final assembly.