Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't seen Canada 3 02 yet but she's absolutely a little drama bomb and I secretly love her for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Saw some funny tweets this morning while I was doomscrolling.

https://twitter.com/thechiliphilly/status/1553181568025239552?t=g9j256mWnXWSlqyd80-PxA&s=03

https://twitter.com/N1MonetDefender/status/1553244157560459264?t=-8MFBco0MUWF4zVYRk0QBA&s=03

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
AS7 Jinkx has more of a legendary aura about her that seems worthy of winning, but Monet destroyed her in the final lip sync. And we didn't even get to see the whole thing.

I hadn't been feeling Canada 3 until this episode. I think it's because it was jarring to see the Toronto queens flop one after another. I love Fiercalicious and Kimmy and in general queens who are extremely bitchy but also incredibly harmless.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/macleanbrendan/status/1553238969181081600?t=mFOH7y348TQbYkKdbZ5vhg&s=03

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Drag race down under confessional lighting is homophobic wtf

E: I'm throwing chairs around the room in a furious rage that Beverly kills was only safe with that outfit what the gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 30, 2022

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Normy posted:

Anyone watching Canada? I thought fierce should have gone home and really liked Chelazon. But I'm sure fierce brings more drama.

I completely agree with this, but I could tell production thought otherwise just from who they were focused on filming. They sure give it away hard.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Love Chelazon, not a huge fan of 416 Jorgeous Fierce but she may change my mind yet.

AS7: really not a fan of LSFTC finales either, and this episode just solidified that for me. We know Ru's going to crown whoever he wants, really, and that the winner is probably decided even before the music starts. The S9 rose petals were the moment that might have flipped his previous decision, but we haven't had anything quite so seismic since despite everyone trying to chase the same high. It really did seem that Jinkx had a lock on the season anyway. Monet's lipsync was fantastic, and there's a lot of discussion in some corners about how that should have been the decider, not the whole season's performance. I don't know what the answer is but it did taint the end of the season a little IMHO.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Honestly, I think S9's LSFTC only worked because none of Ru's/production's favorites* made it to the end, so they truly made it based on the lip syncs.

*Valentina, Nina, Eureka all petered out in some spectacular way

Edit: I do think it's really funny that they didn't learn the first time not to put Monet in the final lip sync up against the queen they really want to crown

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 31, 2022

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
Werk the World was amazing! I was with people who knew nothing about drag race so it was just me jumping up and down and screaming lol

I got to see Jaida, Rose’, Kameron Michaels, Jorgeous, Angeria, Laganja, and Daya Betty. So much fun, and they were all spectacular!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have no clue who Rhys is but I want to just pinch his cheeks. (Face - but maybe a butt cheek to go along with it.)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFnypreXiY

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Oh right, I haven't watched Denali vs Kahmora in a while. Better fix that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Apologies if this has already been posted but this is one of funniest things I’ve watched

https://youtu.be/nRwK91tG4QU

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Atrocious

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know if it's the editing or what but Fiercalious looks more bullied than the bully to me so far

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Based on how everyone already seemed annoyed with her on the first episode, I imagine she Serena ChaCha'd them in the werkroom. She does seem pretty self aware and likely trying to make good TV, but probably needs to figure out where the line is between petty and fun shade.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Eej posted:

I don't know if it's the editing or what but Fiercalious looks more bullied than the bully to me so far

Yeah when she was apologizing and they went off on her I was like "who the gently caress is the bully here again?"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
You talking about Canada?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Definitely felt like something happened off camera after the rehearsals.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Kind of mentally checked out when the talent show was going to be all songs. Except Raja. That was cool. Finale is all lip syncs. Hard pass. Just watched a few minutes, got bored, skipped to the crowning, turned it off.

I’m not a fan of the lip sync finale. Look at the overall season, and crown them. I don’t care if it’s not dramatic or suspenseful. I don’t need twists and junk. I like watching the queens do their thing.

I’m not about to watch down under. The first season didn’t do it for me. Is Canada any good? I have wow+.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dino. posted:

I’m not about to watch down under. The first season didn’t do it for me. Is Canada any good? I have wow+.

Canada season 1 is good, albeit uneven. A lot of people thought the judges were overly harsh, and that left a bad taste in the mouths of some fans. Imagine if the judge's panel was just 3 clones of Michelle Visage on a bad day. There is some drama amongst some more toxic queens whose reputation in the Canadian drag community prior to the show was not good. There is one extremely memorable queen who is definitely worth checking out. The final 3 was a little meh without a clear frontrunner to root for, comprised of one queen who did very well in the first half of the season but floundered in the second half, one queen who did poorly in the first half of the season but sort of started to get good in the end (although they were very annoying throughout), and one queen who had highs and lows throughout the season.

Season 2 was a slog for me, and I ended up quitting about 2 episodes before the finale. There wasn't any fun drama, and a lot of the queens looks were so similar that I had a hard time telling them apart when they were in drag. But, it didn't help that it aired the same night as DRUK season 3, which I would watch first, and I was pretty tired of watching Krystal Versace get heaps of undeserved praise week after week, so I was a little mentally checked out by the time I'd put on Canada.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I slept on starting CDRs3 but I’m glad I did, because it’s got an excellent, magnetic roster that’s representative of Canada’s diversity, as well as the petty, low-stakes drama that I was missing watching AS8. I still really dislike the judging panel (though Ms. Hytes has gotten a lot better since S1) but I like the show much, much more than S2

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I personally really like the judging in Canada even if I find the judges themselves a bit bland.

I just like Canada overall, there's looks, there's drama, there's fun banter, and it feels "easier" to enjoy than RPDR which often is a bit too self-important for my taste.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

As always, I must mention that the first Canada season had the best LSFYLs of all franchises that year.

And it had Stacey McKenzie giving us life.

e: Not all of them were amazing lsfyls, but when they were on they were ON

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I Drove All Night :allears: I swear that is the longest one ever, but it's great.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Rewatching All Stars 2, i have thoughts.

gently caress Michelle, who is she? Who the gently caress is she to tell any queen how they should dress, least of all Adore.

Alyssa is just amazing to watch. Wish she was there longer.

Fifi Ohara is just horrible. She's a bag of insecurity. Trying to rehab her image while talking far too much and picking fights everywhere. Yuck. Glad she's faded into obscurity.

Alaska on TV is just joyous.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Bolt Yaride posted:

Fifi Ohara is just horrible. She's a bag of insecurity. Trying to rehab her image while talking far too much and picking fights everywhere. Yuck. Glad she's faded into obscurity.

Phi phi the character has been retired, the performer now goes by his real name, Jaremi, and has started and stopped doing drag a couple times since AS2. You're very right about phi phi on the show. She's the biggest villain the show has ever had. But outside of drag race, she has a reputation as a great and professional queen to work with and is extremely kind to fans and the community. Jaremi has set up multiple charity events related to helping queer communities and everything I hear is that he's a lovely person. Remember it's a TV show.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

any enemy of phi phi is an enemy of mine.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/SheaCoulee/status/1554945595231686657?t=IQwU_cayw4eN-oVmKnfflQ&s=01

This pretty wild, Shea Coulee is officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Bolt Yaride posted:

gently caress Michelle, who is she? Who the gently caress is she to tell any queen how they should dress, least of all Adore.

Hi Raja, I thought you did a great job on AS7.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hi Raja! I just saw Raja, girl

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I missed Roger? Dammit!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Riri Williams is one of my favorite Marvel characters, and I will never forgive Shea for AS5 (#jujubee). I am very conflicted by this news.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

All Star spoiler

Monet looked like she knew she was going to lose that lip synch and put like 0 effort

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

run on sentience posted:

Yeah when she was apologizing and they went off on her I was like "who the gently caress is the bully here again?"

The entire cast just makes random digs at her which is whatever most of the time but feels kinda weird when it's like, stretched out across every episode

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nihonniboku posted:

But, it didn't help that it aired the same night as DRUK season 3, which I would watch first, and I was pretty tired of watching Krystal Versace get heaps of undeserved praise week after week, so I was a little mentally checked out by the time I'd put on Canada.

But Nihon, the peanut butter baby was born to do drag.

A God drat Ghost posted:

You're very right about phi phi on the show. She's the biggest villain the show has ever had. But outside of drag race, she has a reputation as a great and professional queen to work with and is extremely kind to fans and the community. Jaremi has set up multiple charity events related to helping queer communities and everything I hear is that he's a lovely person. Remember it's a TV show.

Competition and stress bring out the absolute worst in people. My direct supervisor at work is a kind and friendly, helpful dude with a great work ethic and a sense of humor that makes the sisyphean task of endlessly putting envelopes into other envelopes tolerable. When we get overloaded due to forces outside our control that work ethic makes him passive aggressive and impatient, and the willingness to help others turns into a frustration that others "won't" help (even if it is just in response to a general shoutout that nobody has a response to because it isn't relevant at the time).
I don't judge him for the stressful moments, and I don't judge Jaremi for the intentionally lovely edit taking advantage of his bad reaction to 24/7 monitoring and pressure.

At the end of the day, everyone on this show is a human person who has had 16 hours of film turned into 25 minutes of storytelling and character work without any input. People in general are messy and complicated and contradictory, and, barring extreme examples (still upset nobody mentioned SheDevilByNight during AS7) I'm willing to think that every single villain is a case of "doesn't know how they come off, has been edited to showcase the worst of that"

Even while I refuse to rewatch seasons 11 and 13 because Silky and Kandy's edits make me unhappy.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 4, 2022

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

phi phi is cool. but also, so is willam and their beef in untucked is all time good tv

Merrie Cherry gunnin for Sigorney Beaver on Dragula s4 though, hooo boy, i can't revisit that at all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I should have clarified that I did watch Canada 1 and 2. They were both fine. It’s why I’m kind of waiting for all the episodes of season 3 to come out so I can fast forward through the cringey judging and get on with it.

Watched uk1, 2, and 3. 3 I was confused about the winner. I mean, she was fine I guess. But I don’t see what all the fuss was about.

Down Under season 1 I checked out when I realised that Ru and Michelle had no clue what they were doing, and randomly sending people home for whatever, so that we could have Aryan airways faster. They didn’t seem to understand the Australian humour or their references. It’s like they read a Wikipedia article about the country while waiting on line at customs, but they all have expedited entry so they aren’t waiting that long anyway.

España 1 and 2, you could tell who the winner was from the jump. I wasn’t mad at either.

Thailand is my fave of all the franchises. So much talent, so much good drama that isn’t cringe or annoying to watch. Finales that remind you what drag can do.

I watched the switch when it first aired and was so confused. Don’t think I’ll revisit that. I don’t think I made it past the episode where they randomly brought everyone back. And kept them.

Italia is probably not for me, and that’s ok. Haven’t watched it, and probably never will.

France I’m waiting for all the episodes to finish airing and I’ll clear through it at one time.

Philippines I’m excited about. I don’t know much about the culture of drag and queerness there, so I’m excited to find out.

Also, kind of looking forward to having my stuff unpacked so I can comfort watch season 6 or whatever on dvd.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
How did reddit react to Krystal Versace's crowning? I know she wasn't too well received here, but reddit's opinions can sometimes vary from ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

All Star spoiler

Monet looked like she knew she was going to lose that lip synch and put like 0 effort

In fact no, this is not how it went down apparently -- the edit was severe

alf_pogs posted:

phi phi is cool. but also, so is willam and their beef in untucked is all time good tv

Merrie Cherry gunnin for Sigorney Beaver on Dragula s4 though, hooo boy, i can't revisit that at all.

This too, is correct opinions

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 4, 2022