Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Mega64 posted:

Why is everyone so drat hostile

This is what happens when Nintendo doesn't do a Summer Nintendo Direct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mega64 posted:

Apparently people think I'm some Sony or Xbox fan here to kick down everyone's sandcastle instead of some guy who just wanted to find out if there were cool games that I didn't find in the "Top 10 Anime Betrayals Switch Exclusives" lists from YouTube.

I haven't owned a console since the GameCube, but I guess I should have figured there just plain aren't many third-party exclusives nowadays since every console is basically just a computer.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking about getting a Switch to finally play Super Mario Odyssey. (I actually never played either Galaxy either.) However, looking at the other games on the system, it doesn't seem like there are terribly many worthwhile exclusives that aren't also on PC.

deranged

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Apparently people think I'm some Sony or Xbox fan here to kick down everyone's sandcastle instead of some guy who just wanted to find out if there were cool games that I didn't find in the "Top 10 Anime Betrayals Switch Exclusives" lists from YouTube.

I haven't owned a console since the GameCube, but I guess I should have figured there just plain aren't many third-party exclusives nowadays since every console is basically just a computer.

Stux posted:

deranged

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

glassyalabolas posted:

This is what happens when Nintendo doesn't do a Summer Nintendo Direct.

It's the equivalent of Capt Holt being pent up after rarely seeing Kevin since he's working the night shift.

"Hey captain... maybe you just need an Xbone..."

"XBONE?!?!"

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking about getting a Switch to finally play Super Mario Odyssey. (I actually never played either Galaxy either.) However, looking at the other games on the system, it doesn't seem like there are terribly many worthwhile exclusives that aren't also on PC. I don't know if I want to pay X bitcoins for a machine that only plays the first party titles Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and BotW. Smash Bros / Splatoon / Animal Crossing / Rabbids don't interest me. I don't want Pokemon because I don't want to have to buy a DLC just to get :psyduck:. I also don't really want to pay for an online shitscription to get the N64 library. The portability factor doesn't matter either because I am currently in the process of bricking myself into my apartment.

What else is out there for someone who has a gaming PC? I can already play things like Celeste and Hades, and looking up "Switch Exclusives" hasn't shown much more.

Mario Odyssey and BotW are both worth getting a switch though. There’s also many other Mario platformers on the switch like Mario 3D world + Bowser’s Fury and 3D All stars, which contains Galaxy 1.

Are there any other Nintendo series you’re into? Metroid Dread, Kirby Forgotten Land, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are some of the best games in their respective franchises.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Palmtree Panic posted:

Mario Odyssey and BotW are both worth getting a switch though. There’s also many other Mario platformers on the switch like Mario 3D world + Bowser’s Fury and 3D All stars, which contains Galaxy 1.

Are there any other Nintendo series you’re into? Metroid Dread, Kirby Forgotten Land, Pikmin 3, and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are some of the best games in their respective franchises.

Only Kirby among those. Like, I played Metroid Prime but that's not really the same thing. But I did hear the 3D Kirby is great. I just forgot about it. I enjoyed the one on the 64.

For 3D All Stars, I had put it out of my mind because it was no longer on sale for whatever cockamamie reason, and I've been in the Steam world too long to remember that you used to, you know, buy games physically so I could get it second hand. I had heard they hosed the controls but apparently they patched that. Do you need to sign up for the online content and/or pay money to get patches on that system? The Nintendo support website was unclear.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Switch owns
Deck owns

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Patches are free. NSO is only needed for actual multiplayer content.

Super Mario 3D All Stars is a really weird and stupid case that Nintendo doesn't sell it digitally anymore, but they printed millions of cartridges so you can probably still find a new physical copy (or used) and that might be the only cartridge you own. It's a very baffling thing they did there.

Most Nintendo published games are also platform exclusive or timed-exclusive. Off the top of my head that would include Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2/3, Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, Xenoblade Chronicles DE/2/3.

You're right that console exclusives aren't as much of a thing anymore due to technical constraints, it's all about publisher contracts.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
You have three options:

1) Buy a switch for like $300 for the couple of games you want and then resell it on the very lively second hand market for switches.

2) go all the way and spend the money on a hackable switch and turn it into an emulation machine once you have everything you want from Nintendo itself.

3) just set up your switch emulator on your pc

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ring Fit is a title you're not going to find anywhere else and you're not going to be able to emulate without a lot of work.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

I was thinking about getting a Switch to finally play Super Mario Odyssey. (I actually never played either Galaxy either.) However, looking at the other games on the system, it doesn't seem like there are terribly many worthwhile exclusives that aren't also on PC. I don't know if I want to pay X bitcoins for a machine that only plays the first party titles Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 and BotW. Smash Bros / Splatoon / Animal Crossing / Rabbids don't interest me. I don't want Pokemon because I don't want to have to buy a DLC just to get :psyduck:. I also don't really want to pay for an online shitscription to get the N64 library. The portability factor doesn't matter either because I am currently in the process of bricking myself into my apartment.

What else is out there for someone who has a gaming PC? I can already play things like Celeste and Hades, and looking up "Switch Exclusives" hasn't shown much more.

I thought I wouldn't use the Switch in handheld mode much, but boy howdy was I wrong. It's a joy to play some best-of-genre games while laying down in bed:

SRPG: Triangle Strategy
Racing: Mario Kart 8 (new tracks coming out!)
Musou: Hyrule Warriors/Fire Emblem Warriors
Platformer: Metroid Dread, Super Mario Maker 2
Games that put a smile on my face the entire time: Paper Mario Origami King, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Luigi's Mansion 3, Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening Remake, Mario Odyssey
Brand new exclusives I haven't had time to play yet: Live A Live, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Ok I got a little fast and loose with the genres there but you get the point.

I consider myself primarily a PC gamer, but there are certain games I reluctantly picked up on PC only because there was no sign of them coming to the Switch. Here is a picture of me deciding to buy the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for PC:

There are also some games that started off on the Switch but have since released on other platforms: Monster Hunter Rise, Bravely Default II, Octopath Traveler, plenty more I can't think of right now.

TL;DR: The Switch is fun and good

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah it's kind of hard to recommend a switch to you based on this post. It would probably be more helpful to tell us what kind of games you're into, but if most of the flagship nintendo titles don't excite you...

The switch does have a boatload of picross. It's an addictive puzzle game where you use logic to fill in squares to make a picture of like a cat or something. Highly recommended.

Also don't underestimate the portable factor, unless you can play your gaming pc in bed or on the terlet!!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Switch owns
Deck owns

no. it is gamefaqs message boards circa 2000-2001. only one console can be good at at time

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The thing is with a Switch you can comfortably play Hades on a plane and it has cross-save with PC so you don’t lose your progress. There I just justified the purchase for you.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Riven posted:

The thing is with a Switch you can comfortably play Hades on a plane and it has cross-save with PC so you don’t lose your progress. There I just justified the purchase for you.

play hades using each hand with a switch and a deck

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

play hades using each hand with a switch and a deck

But then how will I crank my hog while sitting in Economy Plus?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inzombiac posted:

But then how will I crank my hog while sitting in Economy Plus?

You buy a strap-on machine that does it for you, obviously.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s times like this where the Dick Sucking factory shows it’s worth

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Morter posted:

What's the longevity/replayability on Neurovoider? I'll prolly get it but I wanna hear takes on it.

It's a fun, arcadey shoot 'n loot. You pick your class, your perk, and you're good to go. I do well with the Berserker and self-heal, but there's 2 other classes and a bunch of different perks to mix together. The levels can get repetitive (there's like 6 maps or so), but sometimes there's a branching path to a harder challenge zone. You can upgrade your parts and weapons between levels, and the game scratches that Borderlands / Diablo itch for making numbers go up. I love gambling for better gear and comparing item stats. The soundtrack by Dan Terminus is, as the kids say, heckin' dope.

Good gameplay and bangin' music, hobbled by a small rotation of maps and some weapons being straight vendor trash. But that gives you more money to gamble for better stuff, so it's not so bad. Local multiplayer is always a plus. The RNG is not your friend, but when it's good, it's really good.

Shoot 'n scoot with a minigun on one arm and a nuke launcher on the other, while projecting a cartoon >=( face. I like it. 3/5.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Really loving Xenoblade 3 so far. There were lots of things in XB2's out of combat gameplay I did not like and it feels like they smoothed over all of that with QoL. I like that if I get lost while on a quest there's a button command to make a quest line appear, but it's not on all the time so as to not discourage exploring. Another thing I like is when equipping accessories there are marks next to accessories that are a good match for the character's role type, making it easier to think about what to pick.

Playing it in handheld mode, it also feels like Monolith Soft has gotten more comfortable with the switch since it looks great in handheld mode which I feel wasn't true for xb2.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'd only played PC games with no console since 2015 or so, then 2021 I got a Switch and now I only use my PC for niche multiplayer exclusives. Playing Binding of Isaac on the couch while watching TV is the best. Mostly I use it for playing the awesome indie library because it's a way better experience than PC every time. Also the PC can't play Animal Crossing

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Large Testicles posted:

yeah but they did end up adding it in, and fairly quickly, so not really getting your point. NMS is legit good now.

do I think it'll be good on the switch tho? eh, if you haven't played it on an actually powerful system, maybe? i don't know what they're gonna do to make it play well on the switch cause it can be fairly graphically intensive during parts of it and i've never tried it on potato mode on my pc so i haven't seen that. also i don't know what patch they're planning on releasing the switch version on cause if it's not like at least around the 8th one, it's gonna be kinda rough

The eShops page specifically says it's going to come with every update they've had so far. After their launch with the other systems I doubt they try to put something half rear end out. And the online?, I'm wondering if they're just trying to do cross play or something first before they add it, with the way they've been adding to the game I wouldn't be surprised. It's definitely not because of Nintendo's online services since they're more open than pretty much everybody else these days.

Maybe they're waiting for the switch pro before they add it?🤭

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Wintendo

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mega64 posted:

It's the Switch thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

Everyone hates the Yankees of gaming. It's just sour grapes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Nep-Nep posted:

Really loving Xenoblade 3 so far. There were lots of things in XB2's out of combat gameplay I did not like and it feels like they smoothed over all of that with QoL. I like that if I get lost while on a quest there's a button command to make a quest line appear, but it's not on all the time so as to not discourage exploring. Another thing I like is when equipping accessories there are marks next to accessories that are a good match for the character's role type, making it easier to think about what to pick.

Playing it in handheld mode, it also feels like Monolith Soft has gotten more comfortable with the switch since it looks great in handheld mode which I feel wasn't true for xb2.

I'm just insanely thankful that the battles are back to taking about as much time as XC1. I got to the point in 2 where I would avoid enemies because the only way to do any damage was with the orb combos and even trash mobs took an eternity.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Darth Nat posted:

I'm just insanely thankful that the battles are back to taking about as much time as XC1. I got to the point in 2 where I would avoid enemies because the only way to do any damage was with the orb combos and even trash mobs took an eternity.

I stopped playing xb2 because of that and eventually just turned on auto battle when it was included in the dlc and treated the endgame like a movie.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Maybe I've been playing Grandia II too much recently, but I think it's Valmar reviving, infecting people with his evil.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everyone is busy playing epic games like Digimon survive and only trolls are left posting

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

losetendo

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it’s more fun if everyone talks a lot of poo poo, all the time

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I started drifting towards pc gaming again after years of Switch; I missed big strategy games and then fell into the retroFPS hole and well...
Then Into The Breach advanced edition happened and I sleep with my switch now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it has some weird issues compared to pc source ports which might have been fixed but the switch port of Quake ftw

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"I got 99 problems but a Switch ain't one,"
- Weird Al Yankovic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nintendone.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Everyone is busy playing epic games like Digimon survive and only trolls are left posting

I'd be busy playing that if I could get over my decision paralysis whether to get it on Switch (for portability) or on PC (for reducing the risk I get annoyed at slowdowns).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mega64 posted:

Why is everyone so drat horny

The Postman
May 12, 2007

bring back Booster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm playing xbc3 and using auto-battle to deal with random encounters and i post while that's happening