Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I propose a new thread rule!

If you post in this thread that you have a new EV, you have 24 hours to post a photo of it. If 24 hours goes by and no photo, you will get a comedy six-hour probation with the following image:

What say you, EV thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cruft posted:

gently caress that, I want wagon wheels. Tires suck.

Get off road tires with sidewalls taller than the curb!
'Course then, if you get WL tires, you get whitewalls from rubbing on the curb like I saw so many Expeditions back in the day...

Three Olives posted:

This is an absolutely fantastic idea, let me explain..

In the post WWII housing boom in the 40-50s, a poo poo ton of housing stock was built in "the suburbs" back then that is now basically extremely central located and highly desirable. At this point most of the houses, at least, in more expensive markets have had some amount of wiring upgrades, dryer plugs, central AC, etc but do not have a lot of extra capacity in the panel.

This solves it, add a bunch of extra capacity for EV charging without replacing your panel again.

Agreed, except as I've noted already, my meter is literally on the other side of the house from the driveway/garage. Will they have a cable that can be run across the attic and, say, drop down into the garage? Because the other option is a 50' cable across my front yard.

VideoGameVet posted:

The fun with L3 chargers is in sunny places where the screens are unreadable.

I was at one and the only way I could stop charging and unlock the plug was to change the charging limits on the NIRO.

Geeze, Redbox figured out the screen thing on their dispensers years ago.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What I found most surprising about that product is that they use the meter since it's the easiest option. I would have assumed that the meter is the component most difficult to tinker with on a panel.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

cruft posted:

If you post in this thread that you have a new EV, you have 24 hours to post a photo of it. If 24 hours goes by and no photo, you will get a comedy six-hour probation with the following image:

What say you, EV thread?

Why?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Allow some whimsy into your cold black heart.

EV related:
I’m going to stay at an AirBnB for a week coming up, and would like to avoid driving into the nearest town to supercharge for most of the trip, which means L1 at the rental. I’m planning to message the host to ask/let them know that I have an EV and can leave a couple bucks for electricity if they’d like. Has anyone had an experience that would convince me to either do that, or just keep my mouth shut and plug in somewhere quietly?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sonic Dude posted:

Allow some whimsy into your cold black heart.

EV related:
I’m going to stay at an AirBnB for a week coming up, and would like to avoid driving into the nearest town to supercharge for most of the trip, which means L1 at the rental. I’m planning to message the host to ask/let them know that I have an EV and can leave a couple bucks for electricity if they’d like. Has anyone had an experience that would convince me to either do that, or just keep my mouth shut and plug in somewhere quietly?

Check the amperage on the circuit you plan to plug in to please.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Check the amperage on the circuit you plan to plug in to please.

Yeah, my thought was to just set it to like 5A (or whatever the minimum is) if I can’t figure out which circuit it’s on. That’s also part of why I wanted to at least tell the host. If it looks sketchy, I’ll just drive the 20 minutes to a supercharger, but even the slowest charging would be a benefit; it won’t keep up with driving, but it could at least save a fast charge trip while I’m there.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I like seeing photos of the second most valuable purchase most people will ever make, and I think it'd be funny to probe them with a lovely drawing if they fail to satiate my need to see something people are happy about / proud of.

It might be because I spend so much time in BYOB but a 6-hour probe with a funny image is something I consider to be pretty LOL when it happens to me. I think it's a lighthearted way to keep a sort of running joke alive.

Here, I'll prove it: CAT INTERCEPTOR: requesting sixxer with my lovely drawing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also if you must use an extension cord for charging, do not coil up any excess length, stretch it out even if you have to route it up and then down a hallway or something like that. Granted a thick enough cord that can handle the full rated amperage should not have any problem even if it is coiled up, but just in case there is some wear or a defect you can prevent a lot of heat buildup and fire potential just by uncoiling it. Or if you must coil it up, put the coil outside spaced between the vehicle and the building so even if it does melt down and light on fire it won't take the building or the vehicle with it. And don't use any outlets that aren't tight fitting and snug, if it rattles or is loose then it may be a potential fire starter. (The same is true of any outlet for L1 or L2 charging even at home, if it doesn't hold the plug tightly you should probably not use it for charging and or just replace the outlet.)

The reason I suggest this much more attention to it compared to other uses for extension cords or outlets is because most other uses are fundamentally different from charging an EV in an important way: Where most electrical loads are for shorter duration with only seconds to minutes of load on the circuit and are easy to manage thermally, charging a full on EV using L1 or L2 can last from many hours to even full days where the load is held constant at the maximum the circuit is rated for. Basically most times you are using an extension cord it is for very brief sprints or relaxed and comfortable walks, but charging an EV is a multi-day extended marathon at the fastest jogging pace you can hold and has no breaks at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If I posted my Leaf when I bought it (which I love) you assholes can posts pictures of your much nicer cars.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I agree if you come here and say you bought an EV you best post some photos. I specifically spent an insane amount of money just so I could post here.

(Ok maybe that wasn’t the reason but it certainly helped)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you think about it this is the most prestigious group on this dead gay forum.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I appreciate the “how to charge” but I’m good from a practical standpoint. I’ve got my various connectors, a 12AWG extension if it’s absolutely necessary (it hasn’t been yet), and a good understanding of single/split-phase AC, so I don’t anticipate setting fire to my car or person.

My question was more around experiences with property owners when short-term renting, but I suppose that may never come up for a lot of EV owners (or people in general, since hotels are usually the default).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cruft posted:

What say you, EV thread?

OK

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my jalopy ev

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cruft posted:

I like seeing photos of the second most valuable purchase most people will ever make, and I think it'd be funny to probe them with a lovely drawing if they fail to satiate my need to see something people are happy about / proud of.

It might be because I spend so much time in BYOB but a 6-hour probe with a funny image is something I consider to be pretty LOL when it happens to me. I think it's a lighthearted way to keep a sort of running joke alive.

Here, I'll prove it: CAT INTERCEPTOR: requesting sixxer with my lovely drawing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I was catching up on the thread and saw your drawing post at the same time I saw you were probed and clicked on it and indeed it made me laugh out loud, so yeah let's do it

props for making the car blue. next rule should be only blue cars allowed in the EV thread (except for my purple Taycan I'm gonna get when I win the lottery)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bawfuls posted:

my jalopy ev

Excellent car and dog

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cruft posted:

What say you, EV thread?

Well hey if the thread would like to say yea to this proposal, I'm fine with it

Got a 3 yeas, make it 10 votes yes and it's a rule

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Z is my dog's favorite car by far. She's way less excited to get in my wife's car.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I vote for it, and I bought a new EV6 like 2 weeks ago.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah sure why not let’s make this thread fun. Show off your new toys!

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I drive a Mach-E. I like it, it’s a nice car. I also picked up one of those license plate wraps which looks pretty nice.

Oh and here is a picture:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I want someone to convert one of those to a electric drive train. I'm sure it wouldn't be as efficient, but it would be interesting to see how much worse and what you could do with such a drivetrain. Make it a hybrid with a capacitor, store some of the power during downstroke, release it at the "powerless phase" of pedalling.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

What say you, EV thread?

Pics or probes!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LOL, nice annotation.

I'm going to count this as a "yay" vote. So far, the following people have expressed some level of support:

1. Sonic Dude: "allow some whimsy into your cold black heart"
  2. Kirios: "you assholes can post pictures of your much nicer cars"
  3. Happy Noodle Boy: "if you come here and say you bought an EV you best post some photos"
  4. VideoGameVet: "OK"
  5. Hawkperson: "yeah let's do it"
  6. dalstrs: "I vote for it"
  7. Dancing Peasant: "gently caress YOU CRUFT" (probably a yea, see photo above)
  8. Qwijib0: "Pics or probes"

If we can count CAT INTERCEPTOR and myself as a yea, that's 10. But I bet we can get two or three more.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dancing Peasant posted:

I drive a Mach-E. I like it, it’s a nice car. I also picked up one of those license plate wraps which looks pretty nice.

Oh and here is a picture:

PS: I'm really curious about this license plate wrap thing, is it just a vinyl wotzit to go around the plate?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I guess I should have added, in case Dancing Peasant was serious, that I don't intend for this to be retroactive. I just mean for future posts, where somebody's like "I just picked up a Daewoo ZX5,000,000, is it normal for the driver side mirror to block the charge port?" that person gets 24 hours to post a photo of their new Daewoo or they get the probe.

Much as I would love to see a retroactive rule trigger a couple dozen sixxers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I vote for forced pics cuz I am safe since it’ll be years before I can buy anything anyway!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cruft posted:

LOL, nice annotation.

I'm going to count this as a "yay" vote. So far, the following people have expressed some level of support:

1. Sonic Dude: "allow some whimsy into your cold black heart"
  2. Kirios: "you assholes can post pictures of your much nicer cars"
  3. Happy Noodle Boy: "if you come here and say you bought an EV you best post some photos"
  4. VideoGameVet: "OK"
  5. Hawkperson: "yeah let's do it"
  6. dalstrs: "I vote for it"
  7. Dancing Peasant: "gently caress YOU CRUFT" (probably a yea, see photo above)
  8. Qwijib0: "Pics or probes"

If we can count CAT INTERCEPTOR and myself as a yea, that's 10. But I bet we can get two or three more.

As a thread lurker and someone in the market for an EV, I fully support this rule.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cruft posted:

PS: I'm really curious about this license plate wrap thing, is it just a vinyl wotzit to go around the plate?
It's a vinyl sticker with your plate info that goes onto the bumper/bonnet front.

Some newer cars have so much telemetry poo poo that it's hard to mount a regular plate without blocking something, and some owners just don't want the +aesthetic+ to be marred by the plate. So this is a happy compromise.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

It’s a Yes vote for me btw.

cruft posted:

It’s pretty much vinyl. I picked it up from this site: https://licenseplatewrap.com/ The name is pretty generic but hey the CA DMV says it’s street legal so go ham

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Seems like car manufacturers should be required to have a mounting point for a front plate, seeing as more than half of the US and all of Europe is required to have one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The US could also adopt a smaller/longer front plate. But yeah, lots of cars cheap out on the $5 it would take to have a few mounting holes and rubber stops on the front.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

I vote for forced pics cuz I am safe since it’ll be years before I can buy anything anyway!

Doom Rooster posted:

As a thread lurker and someone in the market for an EV, I fully support this rule.

Dancing Peasant posted:

It’s a Yes vote for me btw.

That's a solid 10 yes votes :peanut:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Sure, why not and while we are at it, maybe time for a thread refresh?

(Current iteration just recently passed 2 years old.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EV thread Mk4 - Now with a $4000 tax credit on used threads

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
EV Thread Update 4.0- Fully Automated ShitPosting

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’d vote yes and post my EV but I don’t think I’ll be able to get one until 2025.

(Pic goes here)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FilthyImp posted:

If only Elon would use his powers for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

https://app.inferkit.com/demo posted:

I love the car though, even if I am never allowed to drive it!

After he finished shopping, he gave me a big hug, told me how proud he was of me, and dropped me back at home.

I have been watching the progress of the cybertruck for a long time and I have a preorder down now.

So soon I will have a shiny new cybertruck to play with (and share with the Flickr group).

Exciting!

Might as well celebrate the preorder!

Just for the heck of it.

The makers of the steam are going to put a console inside so I can play while autopilot drives. I paid for FSD this morning.

Here's hoping the company delivers the service.

Good luck to them. I've had a phone message.

Their mail slot is jammed.