Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/colinbphoto/status/1553185500185387008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

if tony matelli is doing a thing near you, go see it, it's a trip

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's enough going on in that picture that it took me until this time to notice there's a little extra buttcrack curse too

That's why monkey's puking

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Yaldabaoth posted:

Because if they didn't, they'd all look like this:

(posted before but it's a new thread, so...)

this is a dall-e 2 image and not real btw

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

norp posted:

Expiration dates on diet soda is definitely not a suggestion.

The sweeteners break down pretty quickly. I've found that you get maybe a month or so past that date before it's completely gone in Pepsi Max but even before that date the sweetener seems to start fading quite a bit.
This isn't so much of a problem with sugar (sucrose not that HFCS bullshit you seppos drink) sweetened drinks

Aspartame breaks down really quickly above 30-35°C or so, leaving just sour and bitter tastes.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

This was inevitable when you name you music festival after a word that was used by racists to catch WW2 japanese spies.

Content, DALL-E image titled "Last Selfie on Earth"

There are more but they're all some variant of "Zombie person in a post-industrial hellscape".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Aspartame breaks down really quickly above 30-35°C or so, leaving just sour and bitter tastes.

So in parts of the south there are people who strongly prefer diet caffeine free coke. It’s cause that sour and bitter taste it gets when left on a hot porch works with the flavor profile.

It’s good iced.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Yaldabaoth posted:

This was inevitable when you name you music festival after a word that was used by racists to catch WW2 japanese spies.

What

Wikipedia (Lollapalooza) posted:

The word—sometimes alternatively spelled and pronounced as lollapalootza, lalapaloosa,[12] or lallapaloosa (P. G. Wodehouse, "Heart of a Goof")—dates from a late 19th-century/early 20th-century American idiomatic phrase meaning "an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance".[13] Its earliest known use was in 1896.[14] In time, the term also came to refer to a large lollipop.[15] Farrell, searching for a name for his festival, liked the euphonious quality of the by-then-antiquated term upon hearing it in a Three Stooges short film.[16] Paying homage to the term's double meaning, a character in the festival's original logo holds a lollipop.[15]

Wikipedia (Shibolleth) posted:

Some United States soldiers in the Pacific theater in World War II used the word lollapalooza as a shibboleth to challenge unidentified persons, on the premise that Japanese people would often pronounce both letters L and R as rolled Rs.[22] In Oliver Gramling's Free Men are Fighting: The Story of World War II (1942) the author notes that, in the war, Japanese spies would often approach checkpoints posing as American or Filipino military personnel. A shibboleth such as "lollapalooza" would be used by the sentry, who, if the first two syllables come back as rorra, would "open fire without waiting to hear the remainder".[23]

Ah. Bit of a stretch, OP.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's racist to detect and defeat enemy fascists in a world war.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Yaldabaoth posted:

:lol: if you’d rather take a bayonet to the guts.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

It's racist to detect and defeat enemy fascists in a world war.

I admit I was wrong about the word being invented in WW2, but that doesn't change the fact that "Japanese people can't pronounce the L sound" is a racist stereotype and it was very risky to base a method of spy detection on racial prejudice that could have easily turned out to be wrong and let the enemy get past the checkpoints.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Yaldabaoth posted:

I admit I was wrong about the word being invented in WW2, but that doesn't change the fact that "Japanese people can't pronounce the L sound" is a racist stereotype and it was very risky to base a method of spy detection on racial prejudice that could have easily turned out to be wrong and let the enemy get past the checkpoints.

ok

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

sir this is a wendys

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
the curse thread sometimes spawns its own curses from within

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Yaldabaoth posted:

food for thought

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Yaldabaoth posted:

The word of the day is "Shibboleth" and it's been a tactic used since way before WW2.

Allied forces had a challenge code for Germans. The pass codes were "Flash" and "Thunder," two words that are difficult to pronounce correctly in English with a German accent.

Ukrainian soldiers are doing it too with the word "Palianytsia." It's kind of helpful when everyone speaks Russian and camo looks the same at night.

Robo Reagan posted:

sir this is a wendys

I mean, uhhhh I'll have a #5 with a Coke.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rbouMIx9E

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's me, I'm the curse.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
*Japanese soldier lies dying on the ground after a failed infiltration attack*

“Stereotypes about accents? Really? Not cool you guys. I think you all have some growing up to do!”

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Speech is made up of units of sound called phonemes. There are about 200 phonemes that are used, but no language has more than about 70. Sometime early in life people lose the ability to distinguish and produce phonemes that aren't used in the languages that they're exposed to. With practice, some people can learn to pick out phonemes that they don't use, but it's never going to be a really natural thing and even some professional linguists never really get very good at it.

Japanese doesn't distinguish between the phonemes that we represent with "r" and "l", and so native Japanese speakers would have trouble pronouncing "lollapalooza". But American English speakers don't pronounce the word "Hindi" the way a native Hindi speaker would, and most of us would have trouble hearing the difference. (FTR, when you pronounce the "d", your tongue should touch the bottom of your front teeth rather than the soft tissue behind them.)

Of course reality isn't quite that simple; see At what age do children lose the ability to hear phomene differences that their native language doesn't make? and links therein for some more details.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/shawnmicallef/status/1553391429308882946?t=emKUyiXcOKA_CxGlYZeZCg&s=19

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

America is no different from a middle eastern country now, only difference is mass murderers use guns instead of homemade bombs.

Content:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Elite computer hacker

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Where is Kevin from Home Alone when his window silhouettes could cause the most chaos

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

norp posted:

Expiration dates on diet soda is definitely not a suggestion.

The sweeteners break down pretty quickly. I've found that you get maybe a month or so past that date before it's completely gone in Pepsi Max but even before that date the sweetener seems to start fading quite a bit.
This isn't so much of a problem with sugar (sucrose not that HFCS bullshit you seppos drink) sweetened drinks

Found this while cleaning out my mom's basement.

It...did not taste good.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i want to taste the savoury pepsi

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

idk it seems like this thread would like this

it's a fursuit photo from free fur all, which is the nazi fur convention. sorry, "america's anthro convention"

yeah, nazis.

the guy with the shirt that says "nazi furries don't exist" is noted nazi fur crusader cat (he also hosed a cat). and sitting on the same row as him fourth from the right is foxler (fox hitler). in the middle in orange is the leader of the furry raiders, a neo-nazi furry group

https://twitter.com/Icemare2/status/1553395979147149313

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Got to love it when psychopaths are so broken that they think their beliefs are 100% true and it's other people who are the fascists for wanting to punish them just for speaking Da Trooth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, '91....a fine vintage

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

Got to love it when psychopaths are so broken that they think their beliefs are 100% true and it's other people who are the fascists for wanting to punish them just for speaking Da Trooth.

Cursed lack-of-self-awareness quote

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2QrNdsV.gifv

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

satanic splash-back posted:

Cursed lack-of-self-awareness quote

I'm crazy but I'm not a violent psychopath.

Content:

Though might be kind of blursed since it looks like something out of an old fantasy movie.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

So does this mean that that one Skweezy Jibbs story was a half truth ?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Content:

Though might be kind of blursed since it looks like something out of an old fantasy movie.

Isn't' this a Starcraft 2 mission?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Yaldabaoth posted:

Content:

this rocks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Waffle! posted:

The word of the day is "Shibboleth" and it's been a tactic used since way before WW2.

Allied forces had a challenge code for Germans. The pass codes were "Flash" and "Thunder," two words that are difficult to pronounce correctly in English with a German accent.

Ukrainian soldiers are doing it too with the word "Palianytsia." It's kind of helpful when everyone speaks Russian and camo looks the same at night.

I mean, uhhhh I'll have a #5 with a Coke.

Didn't shibboleth get its name from the word shibboleth which was used in the exact same way in the bronze age and is written down in the Bible or some poo poo

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

these are rocks :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Yaldabaoth posted:

Content:

I'm imagining how smooth those rocks must be.