Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You're catching up to me, I need to find more time to play FFXIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

FFXIV:

Finished the Heavensward main quest, spectacular final fight as always
But I need a plot primer or something because, I swear I’m paying attention, but some of the villain motivations were kinda lost on me

Which one? (Spoilering for newbs (and Rarity's) sake. Like don't look seriously)

Thordan wanted to become God Pope, kill all the dragons and conquer the world.
The Ascians wanted for Thordan to become God Pope to cause a Calamity since that's what they want.
The Garleans just wanted Allagan poo poo because that has never gone wrong for them, ever.
Nidhogg is mad his sister was murdered.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I have now completed all the 1-30 story arcs for the base classes and I'm working on getting all my jobs. Which means it's the perfect time for another....

Rarity Ranking! :toot:

Story

1. Rogue - my found family, V'kebbe is bae
2. Arcanist - K'lyhia is also bae
3. Thaumaturge - the Cocos are heroes
4. Gladiator - Love Island: Eorzea
5. Pugilist - Rurukuta came good and even Hamon turned out ok
6. Archer - Leih shoulda just run off with Pawah
7. Conjurer - Sylvie was ok I guess
8. Lancer - #Justice4Foulques
9. Marauder - zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Gameplay

1. Archer - so mobile, tons of variety, really engaging
2. Arcanist - love the high burst damage
3. Pugilist - flitting from form to form is cool
4. Marauder - big beefy hits
5. Lancer - slightly more than a repetitive 3-hit combo
6. Rogue - a repetitive 3-hit combo but at least you look cool
7. Gladiator - a repetitive 3-hit combo but you're just a dork
8. Conjurer - one day I will get more than one attack spell... one day...
9. Thaumaturge - turns out I hosed up by removing Fire/Blizzard I from my action bars, oops

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

9. Thaumaturge - turns out I hosed up by removing Fire/Blizzard I from my action bars, oops

lol yep

What's fun is that for most jobs, getting the II or III versions of spells are direct upgrades that outright replace previous spells, but not for Thaumaturge/Black Mage (or Conjurer/White Mage, where Cure III is not a replacement for Cure II). So it can be a little confusing.

In general if the game lets you keep a spell, it's going to stay relevant. Again not strictly always (there's basically no use for Cure I after you get Cure II) but almost always. When Red Mage upgrades Jolt to Jolt II, Jolt II just outright replaces Jolt because you never need Jolt again. With Thaumaturge/Black Mage, you keep your lower-level spells, which means that they're all still integral parts of your kit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looking forward to Rogue either shooting to the top or plummeting to the bottom of that second list

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Harrow posted:

lol yep

What's fun is that for most jobs, getting the II or III versions of spells are direct upgrades that outright replace previous spells, but not for Thaumaturge/Black Mage (or Conjurer/White Mage, where Cure III is not a replacement for Cure II). So it can be a little confusing.

In general if the game lets you keep a spell, it's going to stay relevant. Again not strictly always (there's basically no use for Cure I after you get Cure II) but almost always. When Red Mage upgrades Jolt to Jolt II, Jolt II just outright replaces Jolt because you never need Jolt again. With Thaumaturge/Black Mage, you keep your lower-level spells, which means that they're all still integral parts of your kit.

Thaumaturge is also the job whose rotation changes the most along levelling so it can be a mess.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

FF14:

8. Conjurer - one day I will get more than one attack spell... one day...

lol, lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Thaumaturge is also the job whose rotation changes the most along levelling so it can be a mess.

Yeah, that too. After 50 it goes through a pretty major shift every 10 levels or so. Well, 80 to 90 isn't that wild of a shift and feels more like smoothing out the 80 rotation, but yeah.

Well, she will, it's just... gonna be a bit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Which one? (Spoilering for newbs (and Rarity's) sake. Like don't look seriously)

Thanks. I guess I was expecting... more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really didn't click with Black Mage in FFXIV until fairly recently. I used to be an all-caster all-the-time player in MMOs but while one of my favorite jobs is a caster (Red Mage) my main is a tank somehow (Gunbreaker).

I decided I wanted to level every job to max in Endwalker and while I'm still fairly far from that, I did level Black Mage, and I hated it for a while until it finally clicked and I started to feel like a goddamn wizard. It does such a good job making you play like an irresponsible, power-mad sorcerer, taking risks for just a little more damage, just one more cast, and then when you get good at it you become even more wizardly as you start zipping around because walking is for mortals.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bard is the most fun class to play

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

At least Bloodstained is holding up in terms of exploration and having things to do, the game is also a bit more challenging to me than Symphony or the GBAvanias, but that just might be the lack of good feedback on hits and my lack of time with the systems. I can't believe Iga didn't just say gently caress it and make Gebel Nosferatu tho

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t get far in bloodstained but I greatly enjoyed the Kickstarter nerd galleries

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
considering getting xenoblade chronicles 3, do you have to have played 1 and 2 to understand things or is it standalone?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I played trough FF7R Intergrade today and it was enjoyable for the most part. Yuffie's fighting style was fun and I beat that guy from Breaking Bad in Fort Condor.

However, the two new characters that were introduced towards the end, Weiss and Nero were so extremely Kingdom Hearts it makes me a bit worried about the possible direction of the story.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I played trough FF7R Intergrade today and it was enjoyable for the most part. Yuffie's fighting style was fun and I beat that guy from Breaking Bad in Fort Condor.

However, the two new characters that were introduced towards the end, Weiss and Nero were so extremely Kingdom Hearts it makes me a bit worried about the possible direction of the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tghBJbeMQRQ

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They were villains from Dirge of Cerberus. Not a good game by any measure.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I also played through the dlc today and hell it was tons of fun and I'm so hype for part 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Weiss and Nero are just old Compilation characters brought back in the VR battles for fanservice.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All the many, many dirge of cerberus fans I know were over the moon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The inclusion of Weiss and Nero in the FF7R series is one of the things that's kind of sending up "oh no the rest of this is going to be a trainwreck, isn't it" flags for me

But there ain't no getting offa this train we're on, so here we go

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I played through Dusk last week and it is really loving good. That's my story so thanks for reading.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
you're welcome! please feel free to share some more

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Dusk is good, I should play more of it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dusk multiplayer kicks rear end too

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I also started stranger of paradise today and after playing through the first level... I'm not entirely convinced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ymgve posted:

considering getting xenoblade chronicles 3, do you have to have played 1 and 2 to understand things or is it standalone?

I've only played bit of the first two but so far you definitely don't need to have played them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There are a bunch of overt references but they haven’t really mattered so far

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Afaik 1.0 won’t be a thing for a long time

next year iirc

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Yeah, the music owned. I thought the music in the main game played it a bit safe, then the DLC hits you with some crazy jazz beat for its fight music. Good stuff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wow Open Fortress kicks loving rear end

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Playing more of Dual Destinies, on trial day 1 of Turnabout Academy.

Just revealed that Robin Newman is actually a woman who was raised by her parents as male and is just using a body brace to pass as a man and uhhh this whole thing feels absolutely awful

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Gays, please recommend couch co-op for homosexuals that enjoy gaming together

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HolHorsejob posted:

clubhouse games 51 worldwide classics

i dont know if this has anything to do with being gay sorry

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HolHorsejob posted:

Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
PHOGS!
KeyWe
Spiritfarer
Jets 'n' Guns 2
Overcooked
Haven

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

HolHorsejob posted:

could always do it takes two if you want a game to constantly have you going "are the straights ok???"

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

HolHorsejob posted:

seconding Shredder's Revenge, Overcooked 2.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is also a solid co-op game, though it's better with 4 people.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 has good coop but I'm not sure if it has couch coop or if the coop even works anymore, anyone here know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I also started stranger of paradise today and after playing through the first level... I'm not entirely convinced

The demo is a pretty decent chunk of game, imo it’s worth trying more since you’ll eventually unlock more weapon types/job options pretty quickly.