Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I want to say, I'm sorry. I had a really lovely couple of weeks, and I obviously overreacted. It's no excuse. I shouldn't have said that, and going around on these forums talking to people that way is not what I normally do.

Also sorry to everyone who reads and post in this thread regularly, who are by and large good folks, for making GBS threads up the thread that way.

It's all good. I just try to make dumb jokes to make people laugh, no harm intended. I am sorry to hear you're not having such a good go of things and I hope things improve for you in the near future. Playing Skyrim should be a place to escape from one's troubles like that anyway. Sadly, modding Skyrim is often a compounding factor in one's troubles, but hey if you can get it working at least...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What is this "playing" you speak of?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

It's this thing people sometimes do between modding, I don't really get it either

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

VostokProgram posted:

Testing your load order

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chronojam posted:

Testing your load order

The most thrilling part of any game of modded Skyrim: seeing the main menu appear :haw:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can't breathe easy until qasmoke loads

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

These jokes are why wabbajack is such a revelation for me. These modlists just loving work. If I can restrain the urge to screw around with their choices then I can play heavily modded Skyrim unfettered by the bullshit

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The bullshit is the fun. :colbert:

I'm glad I pretty much have a set load order/install for next time the urge to play Skyrim hits.

I won't use Wabbajack because:
  1. I'm too picky about the kinds of mods I want in my game.
  2. I'm also pretty firm about the kinds of mods I don't want in my game.
  3. I refuse to pay for Nexus premium. gently caress the Nexus, their policies are the #1 reason the modding community is as dysfunctional as it is. I'm not giving them a goddamn dime.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Idk as far as I’m aware the nexus seems to be trying it’s best to keep manchildren like arthmoor from being even worse to deal with

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

FuzzySlippers posted:

These jokes are why wabbajack is such a revelation for me. These modlists just loving work. If I can restrain the urge to screw around with their choices then I can play heavily modded Skyrim unfettered by the bullshit

Yeah. I decided to install Septimus this morning and spent most of the day playing it. I thought I knew how to mod, but this pack is a revelation. It looks so much better than I’ve ever seen and has so many cool little new things every time I turn around. Usually when I start a game I play for a few hours and put it down for a few months. I think I’m gonna play this again tomorrow!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Idk as far as I’m aware the nexus seems to be trying it’s best to keep manchildren like arthmoor from being even worse to deal with

I remember a million years ago when I was complaining about the lack of something like wabbajack modlists people said it wouldn't be fair to mod authors since it'd just silently download their mod instead of forcing you to read their rambling description page for every mod. I'm very happy to pay a couple bucks for easy downloading from nexus and tossed a couple bucks to wabbajack devs on patreon

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I remember a million years ago when I was complaining about the lack of something like wabbajack modlists people said it wouldn't be fair to mod authors since it'd just silently download their mod instead of forcing you to read their rambling description page for every mod. I'm very happy to pay a couple bucks for easy downloading from nexus and tossed a couple bucks to wabbajack devs on patreon

The things I put in my descriptions that I want people to read are things that keep my mods from breaking. If it just works, gently caress it, modlist me away, gently caress the description!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arivia posted:

The Nexus created Arthmoor, gave him a place where he could live out his little online tyrant bullshit in exchange for making money off his unpaid labor, and fostering a community where his behavior was seen as acceptable. They only went all-in on Wabbajack recently, I guess because they figured there was more money in people buying premium access than they'd lose from modders leaving the site.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The most thrilling part of any game of modded Skyrim: seeing the main menu appear :haw:

My favorite game to play is "Why is my modlist that I've been using, unchanged, for the past year suddenly deciding it wont start up until the 10th boot attempt?"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

The bullshit is the fun. :colbert:

I'm glad I pretty much have a set load order/install for next time the urge to play Skyrim hits.

I won't use Wabbajack because:
  1. I'm too picky about the kinds of mods I want in my game.
  2. I'm also pretty firm about the kinds of mods I don't want in my game.
  3. I refuse to pay for Nexus premium. gently caress the Nexus, their policies are the #1 reason the modding community is as dysfunctional as it is. I'm not giving them a goddamn dime.

Yeah I'm happy this kind of thing exists for people that want it but I would never use one I'm pretty firm about the mods I want. Although I did buy nexus premium lifetime many years ago.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Nexus didn't implement all this stuff for Wabbajack, they made it for their Collections feature. Unfortunately for them, their collections usually don't look that good. Wabbajack you at least know any official modlist is going to be in good shape.

Personally I like to use Wabbajack to find new mods/mod combinations that I never would have thought of, and then uninstall and make a pared down list myself.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I just wish somebody would do wabbajack lists that were just a bunch of baseline engine/performance fix stuff that can be added on to. Right now it’s basically the beginner-friendly level of letting a wabbajack do everything, and the much more complicated level of the individual doing everything and figuring it all out. There’s no good middle ground of a wabbajack getting you to a decent place to start doing your own fiddling.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

I just wish somebody would do wabbajack lists that were just a bunch of baseline engine/performance fix stuff that can be added on to. Right now it’s basically the beginner-friendly level of letting a wabbajack do everything, and the much more complicated level of the individual doing everything and figuring it all out. There’s no good middle ground of a wabbajack getting you to a decent place to start doing your own fiddling.

That’s SME.

https://thephoenixflavour.com/skyrim-se/sme/introduction/

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Agents are GO! posted:

The Nexus created Arthmoor, gave him a place where he could live out his little online tyrant bullshit in exchange for making money off his unpaid labor, and fostering a community where his behavior was seen as acceptable. They only went all-in on Wabbajack recently, I guess because they figured there was more money in people buying premium access than they'd lose from modders leaving the site.

nah people like arthmoor always existed with or without the nexus, look at the sims modding community if you want to see something truly dire - individual modders have their own paid sites where people have to come and worship them like gods to get bugfixes

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Cross posted from The Sims 4 thread:

Omnicarus posted:

The Sims Modding community is like a siren song for deranged lunatics. The one that I remember well is the patreon modder who paywalled all of her stuff, required her subscribers to DM her so she could send them a customized version of her content, then packaged each content package with the subscriber's number in embedded in the blender texture file metadata, and started doxxing people she suspected of leaking her content. This included photoshopping personal pictures of subscribers to try and make it look like they were doing illegal things at work and sending them to their workplace.

This culminated in a huge number of the patreon CC creators being outed as sharing and doxxing their own patrons who they suspected as leaking their custom content, also a healthy dosage of real life death threats made to families and friends of the suspected leakers. Over, I poo poo you not, custom models of moose statues and decor entitled "Clutter and knick-knacks". The cherry on top is that apparently most of the actual models were stolen from brands because one of the modders had professional access to a large number of proprietary models through her position at an architecture school.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sim modders frequently lost their poo poo over Pescado's site where he hosts free downloads of paywall content. It was even more fun when anyone pointed out to them that paywalled mods theoretically violated the EULA.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

nah people like arthmoor always existed with or without the nexus, look at the sims modding community if you want to see something truly dire - individual modders have their own paid sites where people have to come and worship them like gods to get bugfixes

Yes, people like him have always been present, but the Nexus gave him a platform.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think suggesting Nexus has anything to do with it is pretty thin. This kind of drama goes back to before even the founding of SA when there was high drama on planet quake and such. I can't imagine more anti-that dude than Collections anyway.

edit: The magic wabbajack does where it doesn't even slightly touch your install folder and so can easily have multiple mod installs is the major thing Collections lack. Collections does symlinks that still throw a bunch of files everywhere even when you purge. It also doesn't do exe/dll mods like skse and enb so you end up with a lot more manual steps (tho easy ones typically).

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 31, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vortex is just an inferior bit of software which is funny because it was made by the original mod organizer author.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I miss the rants that were spurred by the villainous existence of a rating system an Nexus, which was replaced by a like/dislike system which was also hated by awful mod authors. Now it’s just a thumbs up or nothing and you’ll like it. Feedback is not wanted here thank you.

This is cool, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I dont miss rants about "not supporting the nexus" from people who are 0wning them by downloading files without paying

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Wabbajack is good
Septimus is good
LOTD is good
Life is good

e: I'm honestly surprised how well much of the Anniversary Edition content is integrated into the game when you're using Septimus, really helps giving some more flavor and variety to the world. I like the new armor sets, particularly the skill variants, like the light dwemer mail.
I'm even enjoying the occasional bit of fishing

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 1, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Enjoying MCO with precision.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pontificating rear end posted:

I dont miss rants about "not supporting the nexus" from people who are 0wning them by downloading files without paying

Sorry, I'll try to consider your feelings before I post.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Oh the days of giving a mod anything less than a perfect 10 resulting in a ban. Trainwiz got banned for insinuating that an NPC follower mod looked like an alien (giving rise to the Bhruce Hammar alien quest).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Back in the day I thought the Dawnguard vampires weren't very good, but Sacrosanct and Humanoid Vampire Lord makes a big difference. Sacrosanct adds a lot of interesting vampire changes in general but it makes the vampire lord form way more useful and interesting. I never thought the mutant werebat form mode vibed very well with how I think of vampires, but Humanoid Vampire Lord takes care of that. So now it's just kind of a cool floating casting mode with its own upgrade tree.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
From the politically-loaded maps thread (not where I expect to be crossposting from ...):

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

First impression trying Septimus was me trying to make a Redguard dragonborn and finding they took out all the curled hair and the darkest skin tone was now really light.

Lmao modders.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

First impression trying Septimus was me trying to make a Redguard dragonborn and finding they took out all the curled hair and the darkest skin tone was now really light.

Lmao modders.

I can't say 100% for sure if it's the case, but Septimus' unique starting area for live another life has the knockon effect of making everyone look MUCH brighter during the initial RaceMenu where you set skin tones and stuff, it's a common problem people have. Or yeah, the skin colours and curled hair may have been modded into White-appeasing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

is that justified through lore or just blatant racismo

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arivia posted:

I can't say 100% for sure if it's the case, but Septimus' unique starting area for live another life has the knockon effect of making everyone look MUCH brighter during the initial RaceMenu where you set skin tones and stuff, it's a common problem people have. Or yeah, the skin colours and curled hair may have been modded into White-appeasing.

I'll give the skin colours a bit less of a side eye, but the hair is real dumb. The included one makes everything straight and kind of feathery? Which even beyond screwing over Redguard, it also fucks up the curly norse locks look for the Nords.

At least it's an easy fix (just turn off the vanilla hair replacer). The skin colour has a lot of suspects to dig through though and I'm not sure what I can rip out without breaking poo poo.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm not sure what skin texture mods Septimus uses but I've had that problem pretty consistently with male skin replacers. I get the feeling from the preview screenshots a lot of them get tuned around Nords and Dunmer for whatever reason. The female ones I use seem to show the actual skin color -more- sharply so Redguards look fine but all the mer are kinda bright.

That said I've never heard of a hair mod that removes vanilla options. There's some mesh replacers but they match the original hairstyles. Maybe the vanilla hairs are getting lost in between the other packs? I have KS and some HDT physics hairs and the vanilla hairstyles end up at the end of the KS hairs but before the HDT ones for me.

Edit: Oh if it is the replacer then that's dumb yeah. I know hair packs aren't good about curly hair since they're mostly ports of Sims hair mods but you shouldn't remove vanilla options.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 2, 2022

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

A Sometimes Food posted:

Lmao modders.

Oof. Ironically, whatever skin shader is included in Septimus(2 is the version I'm using, not sure if it's the same or different) was the best shader I've used for making my Dark Elf dragonborn actually dark.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Assuming Septimus includes RaceMenu (and it looks like it does?) you can also set custom skin and hair colors through that. You might want to activate it through the console once you've actually gotten into the gameworld though (I think the command is 'showracemenu' but don't quote me on that). I've definitely run into lighting issues in the Live Another Life starting area before (though I don't know how Septimus customizes it at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

forest spirit posted:

is that justified through lore or just blatant racismo

In regards to hair, I'm pretty sure every Elder Scrolls game has curly options for Redguards, or at least an approximation of it.